Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Talk about books reviewed in Knitter's Review
 At Knit's End
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

knitlethab
Seriously Hooked

Canada
604 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2005 :  10:06:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitlethab's Homepage Send knitlethab a Private Message
I started reading through this great book by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee. She has a particular since of humor on knitting. You have to get your hands on it. www.yarnharlot.com

Sharon

www.knittingtime.com

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2005 :  07:48:16 AM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
I just got a copy last week. I've enjoyed it so much that I'm going to get a couple more copies to send to knitting friends in AZ.

Clara reviewed this book not too long ago. You might want to take a peek at the archives of the newsletter and see if you can find her review. And I'm sure it was talked about in the reading section of the forum, too.

Kudos to Stephanie! It's a terrific book!

chris

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

leftyknits
Warming Up

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  05:44:01 AM  Show Profile Send leftyknits a Private Message
I got a copy a few weeks ago! I love the "You know you knit too much when...", and all the quotes from famous people! I keep it in my knitting bag! I would suggest it to anyone who loves to knit! Great Job Stephanie!!!

-Crystal

Go to Top of Page

knitlethab
Seriously Hooked

Canada
604 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2005 :  9:26:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitlethab's Homepage Send knitlethab a Private Message
Yes, I do see there was some very good comments on the book last month. We all liked it a knitting club and I'm glad I was able to have copies on hand.

Sharon

www.knittingtime.com
Go to Top of Page

Ivynforestsmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

465 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  05:56:01 AM  Show Profile Send Ivynforestsmom a Private Message
I met Ms. Stephanie at the Sheep and Wool Festival last weekend! I was so star-struck.

Yvonne
Go to Top of Page

Mary Holton
Chatty Knitter

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  06:56:49 AM  Show Profile Send Mary Holton a Private Message
I absolutely love this book. I bought it for myself for my birthday last month and I spent an enjoyable hour at Starbucks, drinking coffee and laughing out loud (very loudly). It also greatly affirmed me as a knitter.
Go to Top of Page

Jenny
Permanent Resident

1613 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  08:06:13 AM  Show Profile Send Jenny a Private Message
I laughed my way through that book. And some of my "odd" behavior with regards to knitting is completely normal in the world of knitters. lol
Jenny
WA state
Go to Top of Page

BastetG4
Chatty Knitter

USA
200 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  1:00:20 PM  Show Profile Send BastetG4 a Private Message
I bought the book but haven't let myself start reading it yet. If I do, I know I'll never finish my WIP that is a present. SO... when the present is done, Steph's words of wackiness is my reward!

Lisa
Go to Top of Page

maribelaprn
Permanent Resident

USA
2033 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  2:38:20 PM  Show Profile Send maribelaprn a Private Message
And just in case you're in the greater Concord, NH area, the author, Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, is going to be doing a book signing at The Elegant Ewe from 3-5 tomorrow (5/13). That's a great reason to endure the Hookset tolls!

Mari

Don't confuse knowledge with wisdom. With one you make a living, with the other you make a life.
Go to Top of Page

Scifiville
New Pal

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2005 :  4:39:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scifiville's Homepage Send Scifiville a Private Message
If the book tour doesn't come to your area you can listen to an interview with Stephanie in the latest KnitCast.

You can download the interview which is in mp3 format from the KnitCast website - link in my signature. You don't need an ipod to listen, you can save it to your hard drive by following the instructions on the site and listen to it on your computer.

Hope you enjoy it,
Marie

marieATscifiville.com replace AT with @ to email
http://www.knitcast.com - The Podcast about knitting!
http://scifiville.typepad.com - my knitting blog!
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2005 :  10:25:34 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
Thanks for the link, Marie. The computer I usually use doesn't have speakers, so now I have to remember to listen on one of the others.

Barbara
Remember, we're self-selecting!

My photos:
My blog:
Go to Top of Page

Ivynforestsmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

465 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2005 :  06:31:03 AM  Show Profile Send Ivynforestsmom a Private Message
I finished reading it. This woman keeps me entertained to no end.
What was your favorite page? I'm sure we shouldn't type out our favorite Stephanie-isms word for word, but I'd love to see which pages spoke to you! Page 208 had me in tears!

Yvonne
Go to Top of Page

blr2449
Permanent Resident

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2005 :  5:55:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit blr2449's Homepage  Send blr2449 a Yahoo! Message Send blr2449 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ivynforestsmom

I finished reading it. This woman keeps me entertained to no end.
What was your favorite page? I'm sure we shouldn't type out our favorite Stephanie-isms word for word, but I'd love to see which pages spoke to you! Page 208 had me in tears!

Yvonne

My favorite was the page about the new Ingeo yarns. [:00]

Barb in MI

"You can't get a hit unless you're swinging."

http://www.livejournal.com/users/graniterose/
Go to Top of Page

Ivynforestsmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

465 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  06:39:03 AM  Show Profile Send Ivynforestsmom a Private Message
Well, I picked up the book again last night and flipped through to find the page about ingeo and can't find it. I can't remember what she wrote! [blush]

Yvonne
Go to Top of Page

umbaba
Seriously Hooked

USA
693 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  1:07:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit umbaba's Homepage Send umbaba a Private Message
She will be signing books at my shop on August 3rd in Portland, Oregon.

...as soon as I finish this row

www.abundantyarn.com
Go to Top of Page

Mermaid Knits
Permanent Resident

USA
1129 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2005 :  6:54:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mermaid Knits's Homepage Send Mermaid Knits a Private Message
The Ingeo page is p. 98. Too funny. I just got my copy and almost can't put it down. I am reading pages out to hubby and we are both laughing out loud. So far my favourite page is 115. I collect rocks. (and yarn)
Arctic-mermaid
Go to Top of Page

Ivynforestsmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

465 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2005 :  06:07:38 AM  Show Profile Send Ivynforestsmom a Private Message
quote:
So far my favourite page is 115. I collect rocks. (and yarn)

[:00]
Yvonne
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2005 :  10:41:49 AM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
I like the page where the neighbor is playing hide and seek with the girls and looks in the closet for them and finds a closet full of yarn. The little girl says, "It's one of our yarn closets. You know where you keep your yarn!

Like, duh, what else would it be? Doesn't everyone have a yarn closet?

Anita
My completed projects
Go to Top of Page

YukonViv
New Pal

Canada
17 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2005 :  09:47:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit YukonViv's Homepage Send YukonViv a Private Message
I got our bookstore to order this in and when it arrived I read half of it in one sitting. I had to hide the book so I could save it for the weekend trip I had bought it for LOL.

What a great book, it now sits in my bag so I can pick up and read a page at random.

I still laugh even though I've read some of the pages about 20 times over.

How true can it be!!! LOL...I see myself in so many of the stories.

Vivian, Land of the Midnight Sun
http://www.nn.dlpgraphics.ca/blog/
Go to Top of Page

HoJo
Permanent Resident

USA
1474 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2005 :  12:24:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit HoJo's Homepage Send HoJo a Private Message
I met Stephaine last week when she signed books at Stash in Berkeley. She's funny and gracious. It is rare to find some one that is witty in person and in print. I'm hoping we can have her come to our store when she goes on tour next.

I bought 4 copies (1 for myself, 1 for my mom, 1 for my friend Lisa, and 1 more that I can't talk about here ;}). I saw myself on many of the pages as well.

HoJo

Our estore: www.fullthreadahead.com
Yarn for the mind, body, and soul

My blog: www.fullthreadahead.com/blog
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.92 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth