Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Favorite Yarns
 Noro Kureyon
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Pockykami
New Pal

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2005 :  3:16:28 PM  Show Profile Send Pockykami a Private Message
There have been a lot of posts in the "Never Again" section for Kureyon, but it is one of my favorite yarns. Although wool is not the softest fiber (and the wool is this yarn is pretty rough), it is the most versatile. Kureyon looks good in everything I've tried: hats, socks, mittens, armwarmers. And it looks great felted! I use this yarn again and again.

Rachael

leftyknits
Warming Up

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2005 :  4:27:26 PM  Show Profile Send leftyknits a Private Message
I love Kureyon too! You can use it to make anything, and the colors are amazing! Mr. Noro is laughing all the way to the bank! I hope he never retires! Have you tried Transitions yet Pockykami??

-Crystal

Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2005 :  5:00:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
I am also a fan of Kureyon which I find softens up quite a bit when you wash it. I've made socks, a dog sweater, and 2 scarves from it.

Today I wound 2 skeins of Noro Kochoran and that seems to be quite soft. I'm going to make a feather and fan scarf from Little Box of Scarves. It's actually the Barbara Walker pattern in the first treasury, p.205 with 3 garter stitches added on each side. It will be my portable, mindless project for waiting rooms.

GFTC of NYC
Go to Top of Page

acsc1998
Warming Up

80 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  06:18:28 AM  Show Profile Send acsc1998 a Private Message
I have to say that I loved working with Noro Kureyon as well. Yes it is wool and is a bit scratchy, but i knitted up a bag and felted it and it came out so wonderfully! The self stripping pattern looks so interesting - i just love the finished project. Its a bit different than something I would normally knit (I tend to knit with more plain colors) which is why I enjoyed knitting with it so much! Its good to step out of the box and try and work with yarn which you would never expect yourself to like. And with great results!

Lexy

"When life leaves you in knots, untie them and knit."
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  07:17:45 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
I love felting totes/bags with it and have done 3 so far. They all have turned out beautiful and I still have 1 to go. I haven't tried anything else with it, but one of the gals in our KR knitting group is knitting a sweater that will be georgeous.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

snootylooter
New Pal

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  06:14:09 AM  Show Profile Send snootylooter a Private Message
I'm making a simple garter stitch diagonal scarf with Silk Garden #208 - a lovely combination of greys, taupe, greens, charcoal, and a vibrant turquoise. I've alternated portions of the scarf - some sections using 2 skeins that I alternate every two rows, which give it a narrower stripe design, and other sections with just one skein that give is a wide stripe design. It is AMAZING what an exquisite yarn and a simple pattern can produce!! Silk Garden felt softer than Kureyon and I was afraid that the Kureyon would be too harsh to knit with. Thanks to your comments I will now give in and buy that wonderful Kureyon in #102 & #131 - GORGEOUS colors!! Question - when you wash Kureyon do you use a softner? My LYS suggests hair conditioner.
Go to Top of Page

Mrs. Plankton
Warming Up

52 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  07:37:35 AM  Show Profile  Send Mrs. Plankton a Yahoo! Message Send Mrs. Plankton a Private Message
Yep, I love Kureyon. Whenever I knit with it, I can't stop because I want to see what it does next. Guess I'd better stay away from Transitions lol.
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  11:28:21 AM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
I LOVE this yarn. I just finished a sweater...turtleneck tank. It's much softer after working w/ it and then I used shampoo and conditioner to wash it before I blocked it and I can wear it without any itching and I'm sensative to some of the wool yarns out there. I cannot wear Lopi anywhere near my skin. Only outer garments. I also love their Silk Garden. I am almost done w/ a sweater made w/ it. Much softer to begin with than the Kureyon. The colors are out of this world. The only negative I can say is it's way too pricy, and it breaks very easy. Especially when spun very thin...the Kureyon...not Silk Garden.

Vicky (Queen O'Yarn archivist-QYA)
Go to Top of Page

JustJackie
Chatty Knitter

265 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  3:06:13 PM  Show Profile Send JustJackie a Private Message
This is the first time I've used Kureyon-first bag-first felting. I know it's alot of "firsts" but I really love knitting with it. The colors are beautiful. Can't wait to felt my booga bag.(just have to make the I-cord)
Vicky, I have a pattern for a sleeveless turtleneck that I want to make & after reading your post I think I'll use Kureyon.I'd like to also try Silk Garden.
Happy Knitting
Jackie in California
Go to Top of Page

JudyM
Chatty Knitter

USA
270 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2005 :  05:35:48 AM  Show Profile Send JudyM a Private Message
To really love Kureyon as it deserves, try using it in entrelac. Sarah James has some very nice patterns for a vest and a cardigan. I'm on the second front half of the vest, which I realize with horror means that I will all too soon be done with this delectable project. Just to be safe, I have already bought the next batch, in a different colorway, so I won't be at risk for even a single moment of non-Kureyon.

Besides being the most fun knitting I've ever done, the vest is probably the most gorgeous project. And of course, those of us who are in on the secret know that entrelac is actually far easier that it looks.
Go to Top of Page

jacks_love2knit
New Pal

12 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  9:11:52 PM  Show Profile Send jacks_love2knit a Private Message
I agree! Kureyon's a great yarn!
Go to Top of Page

cataylor90@hotmail.com
Warming Up

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2005 :  7:30:14 PM  Show Profile Send cataylor90@hotmail.com a Private Message
I just started Butterfly in Kureyon, and while it's not the softest I really don't know why there are so many complaints about it's texture. As an outer layer, I'm sure it will be wonderful!

Cat
http://catknitter.blog-city.com/
Go to Top of Page

sydo
Chatty Knitter

USA
225 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2005 :  6:25:28 PM  Show Profile  Send sydo a Yahoo! Message Send sydo a Private Message
Love Kureyon, love Silk Garden, but when I saw a jacket being knit in Shinano, I went mad for it. I had to have some, and finally found some on the Internet. I plan to knit a jacket with it. A friend gave me a few balls of a blue, aqua, grey, beige Shinano (shot through with bright pink) with which I am knitting a moebius scarf.

Another silk and wool Noro, so what is the big deal? I cannot explain, but the yarn does not stripe dramatically; it sort of varies so subtly you hardly know it is happening.

But Noro yarns are to die for. I am now going to felt something with Kureyon after reading some of the comments. What a good idea.

And Transitions turned into a truly amazing hat for my daughter a few months back.

Sydo
Go to Top of Page

blazfglori
Permanent Resident

USA
1333 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  03:23:53 AM  Show Profile Send blazfglori a Private Message
I about half-way through my first *booga bag* with Kureyon and LOVE the yarn!
I will most definitely be using it again.

Socks sound like an interesting idea. ;)

~Lori

Go to Top of Page

somervil@yahoo.com
New Pal

24 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2005 :  11:45:35 AM  Show Profile Send somervil@yahoo.com a Private Message
I'm using it for the first time right now for the rainbow scarf in last minute knitted gifts. Yes, it's scratchy and the thicknes varies. But I love the colors and it's like a tactile adventure. I don't know that I'd make any close-wearing garments with it. But I can see why people like it, particularly for felting.
Go to Top of Page

Mermaid Knits
Permanent Resident

USA
1129 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  4:25:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mermaid Knits's Homepage Send Mermaid Knits a Private Message
I've used the three: Silk Garden, Kureyon and Shinano. Love them all. Finally found enough yarn in a store to make a vest or pullover. It's in their Kabuto, a wool/silk/alpaca and cashmere blend. The colour I have is a burgundy and pink twist, with a modest thin and thin texture. I will design something from scratch for this yarn, just don't know what yet. Maybe a Japanese -style vest.

Rock On Noro. By the way for you young folks. Search out the Noro magazines from the 80s. Wow!
Arctic-mermaid
Go to Top of Page

elspethm
Chatty Knitter

USA
323 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2005 :  4:33:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit elspethm's Homepage Send elspethm a Private Message
The thing I love about Noro yarns are their colors. I haven't used Kureyon since I got out of my felting stage, but I love my Spring Garden and Cash Iroha! I could just knit with Noro yarns and be a happy person.

Elspeth
Silicon Valley, CA
http://ladybug326.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Roxanne
Seriously Hooked

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2005 :  5:39:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Roxanne's Homepage Send Roxanne a Private Message
I am working on Klaralund now with Silk Garden #201....it's so gorgeous! I have tried the Kureyon and Yoroi for scarves and they are lovely too!

"Success is a Journey; not a Destination"
My Blog: http://knitnpurlzen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

HoJo
Permanent Resident

USA
1474 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2005 :  6:58:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit HoJo's Homepage Send HoJo a Private Message
I like the look of the Noro yarns, but I don't enjoy working with them or wearing them even after washing. (too rough) I really like the SWTC Karaoke yarns much better. They have great colors and are soo much softer both to knit with and to wear.

HoJo

Our estore: www.fullthreadahead.com
Yarn for the mind, body, and soul

My blog: www.fullthreadahead.com/blog
Go to Top of Page

lgrabbit@yahoo.com
Chatty Knitter

170 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2005 :  05:58:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit lgrabbit@yahoo.com's Homepage Send lgrabbit@yahoo.com a Private Message
Rachael,
Kureyon is beautiful. I love NORO yarns!! I once bought two different balls that looked great together...they were the last of their dye lot. Sort of like taking a couple more pets home! My first scarf was knit out of it and is my fond favorite. [meow]

Laurie

"My second favorite household chore is ironing,
My first being hitting my head on the top bunk bed unitl I faint."--Erma Bombeck
Go to Top of Page

morningglory
New Pal

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2005 :  7:31:27 PM  Show Profile Send morningglory a Private Message
I'm glad someone here likes noro yarns, I love them and they are great in entrelac..in the scarf book by Pam Allen is a great big shawl in entrelac and I used the kureyon, just great,got me through all of football season!! I'm starting the same one in a different colorway of kureyon..I love the tip of shampoo and conditioner, I'll need to try that one!! Just can't beat the colors!
Lorie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.59 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.