Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Gadgets
 Early Xmas gift--USM
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2002 :  4:32:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
My partner took my major hints and got my an Ultimate Sweater Machine for Xmas. It got here last night, and yesterday was my last day of student teaching for this semester (4 weeks off--wha hoo!) so she gave it to me last night so that I could get in some practice.

After practitcing for about 1.5 hours (and dropping the entire row several times because I wasn't pulling up the slack enough), figuring out how to fix it when the cartridge was a little hard to push, and yanking out tons of yarn from the freebie Caron Wintuk skein that came with it......

I knit 125 rows without ANY problem! No missed stitches, no falling, NOTHING!

WHAAAA HOO! This is so fun. I am going to crank out those charity projects. (I'm knitting blankets for animals in animal shelters.) I am on a yarn-buying hiatus until I get through at least half of my stash.

I love cables and texture, and I know that those are a bit of a pain to do on USM, but when I do cables and textures I like to knit by hand. This is going to be great for doing charity work, making those long, skinny scarves that everyone wants (that's the last thing I want to knit by hand!), and making simple stock stitch tops.

Now, I need to go back upstairs and finish the project that this is becoming. It's going to be the scarf that is in their project book. I feel like a new knitter all over again.

Really, I should've picked up a skein of maroon to go with the Jonquil color they sent--then at least I could make a Harry Potter scarf. :) But I'm NOT ripping this out again!

Amanda

PS I was listening to the best of the Monkees while I was practicing. "Put your heart and soul where I can see them shine...."

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2002 :  5:20:19 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Amanda: Good luck with your machine. Have fun with it. No, I don't have one but that's ok. When it comes to knitting gadgets I am more into counters, needle sizers, you know the type stuff. My real passion for gadgets is kitchen gadgets of which I have lots--big and small--pasta machines, mixers (hand and stand), food processors (only one), etc. I have to get a new garlic press because I lost mine. I can't imagine what happened to it unless it got thrown out which I doubt as that is part of my problem--I am a dyed in the wool pack rat. Its in the genes, boy is it ever. Beverley

PS: Are you finished with your student teaching and will start in next semester/quarter with a new class? Good luck. I believe teaching is an admirable profession and one that doesn't get the credit it should. Beverley

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live!"

Bev
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.