Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Favorite Designers
 Sarah Dallas
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marjotse
Permanent Resident

Sweden
1018 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2005 :  07:17:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit marjotse's Homepage Send marjotse a Private Message
I really like her designs both in the Rowan magazines and Vintage knits and I saw that there will be a new book by her very soon. Anybody seen it yet? Just very curious...

best regards

Marjolein

diana.enky
Permanent Resident

Australia
1092 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2005 :  04:37:38 AM  Show Profile Send diana.enky a Private Message
No - it isn't released yet, but I have it on my amazon wishlist and it has a publication date of May 2 so should be out and about soon

Diana

2005 stats: 3 WIP, 7 FO, 2 Frogged
Purchases: too many
Go to Top of Page

RachelKnitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2995 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2005 :  08:20:23 AM  Show Profile Send RachelKnitter a Private Message
Amazon occasionally tells little fibs. Most books don't have specific laydown dates, but a few do (these are usually just the big bestsellers.) Most books have a publication month--a May release means anywhere between the end of April to the beginning of June. The Sarah Dallas book does not actually have an official laydown date. The best way to know if Amazon is telling a fib or not is to look at where they list the onsale date. If it is listed at the top, near the photo, where it says "Availability: This book has not yet been released....", then that is a strict onsale date and is when you should actually expect to see it in stores. If the date is only listed further down under "Product Details", then they're totally making it up. If you look at BN.com, they do the same thing. And they claim it's releasing on May 28. Sorry to burst your bubble, but it's just one of my pet peeves with Amazon and BN.com.

Nature is a haunted house--but Art--is a house that tries to be haunted.
Emily Dickinson
Go to Top of Page

suzzells@hotmail.com

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  06:09:25 AM  Show Profile Send suzzells@hotmail.com a Private Message
Website http://store.martingale-pub.com has some info & 3 pics, child's jumper, ladies' jacket which looks very very similar to pattern in 'Vintage Knits' and some cute socks. Another website gave a publication date of October 2005 so we looks like we have a long wait.
Go to Top of Page

suzzells@hotmail.com

Posted - 05/27/2005 :  07:52:33 AM  Show Profile Send suzzells@hotmail.com a Private Message
Sarah Dallas Knitting is now published (in UK at least) - just seen it in John Lewis Oxford St. Patterns divided into four colour stories & include lots of cushions & blankets as well as things to wear. Lovely photography but quite stylised, so hard to see how patterns would actually work out. Will have a think before buying it.
Go to Top of Page

knit_cookie
Gabber Extraordinaire

388 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2005 :  11:55:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit knit_cookie's Homepage Send knit_cookie a Private Message
You can see pictures of everything here: http://www.colourway.co.uk/rowan/dalknit/dalknitt.htm
Go to Top of Page

RachelKnitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2995 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2005 :  12:46:28 PM  Show Profile Send RachelKnitter a Private Message
I got my copy this week, and I have to say, it has some of the worst photography I have ever seen in terms of being able to see what the pattern looks like. First of all, the cover sweater sample is black--BLACK! You can't make out any detail, there's no shot of the woman posed in a normal position--I have no idea what the sweater is supposed to look like, and since I don't usually spend much time rolling around on a picnic banket, I'd really rather see what it looks like in some sort of normal upright position in which the hands aren't grasping at the neck as if the model was choking. And what's with making us flip through the whole book to see the 4 different shots of each item? They couldn't put them on consecutive pages? It is really one of the least user-friendly knitting books I have ever seen. Sorry, rant over. I feel much better now.

Nature is a haunted house--but Art--is a house that tries to be haunted.
Emily Dickinson
Go to Top of Page

diana.enky
Permanent Resident

Australia
1092 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  10:03:04 PM  Show Profile Send diana.enky a Private Message
Thanks for the review - I was going to order from amazon but after seeing the pictures (or lack thereof) and based on your review I don't think I will.
I prefer to knit garments and the ladies cardy looks like an existing pattern of hers from a Rowan mag and I'm just not into knitting household items like cushions and throws not for me, even though I really like Sarah's designs usually. Might just go and drool over my loop d loop some more

Diana

2005 stats: 2 WIP, 9 FO, 2 Frogged
Purchases: too many
Go to Top of Page

gabsmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

380 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  10:58:34 PM  Show Profile Send gabsmom a Private Message
I have to agree with Rachel's review of the Sarah Dallas book. I saw it the other day at my LYS and I had the exact same impressions. I am so sick of crappy artsy photos.

I ended up buying Loop-d-loop and I love it. The photos are clear and the schematics are detailed. I have already made two ballet t-shirts for my daughter.
Go to Top of Page

marjotse
Permanent Resident

Sweden
1018 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  04:22:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit marjotse's Homepage Send marjotse a Private Message
I have seen it now too and I am disappointed. There are nice things (socks for example) in it but there are even the same patterns in there twice (the child's cardigan), yes in a different colourt but with exactly the same instructions twice. I wonder if that is a mistake or....

best regards

Marjolein
Go to Top of Page

knittin away
Seriously Hooked

880 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  09:44:24 AM  Show Profile
Just flipped through it too at the lys. I'm disapointed - I thought the designs would have more "punch". Nothing really outstanding and I second everyone on being able to clearly see garment details.
Go to Top of Page

knittingFrenzy
New Pal

31 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2005 :  10:47:11 AM  Show Profile Send knittingFrenzy a Private Message
I love this book! The photos are so beautifully taken which make me wish I were there! I agree that you cannot see the pattern well but I still love the book and its colors! I am going to make several of the blanket cardigans for myself. It is book like this that make me want to knit and knitíK and it would be so nice if I own a yarn store that come with a big garden with lot of trees. Every one can come and sit under the tree to knit and relax! (Of course, cost and profit are not matters in the dream world).
Go to Top of Page

comfybev
Chatty Knitter

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2006 :  5:49:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit comfybev's Homepage  Send comfybev a Yahoo! Message Send comfybev a Private Message
I just found this thread because I am knitting the "fair isle beret" from Vintage Knits, and I'm wondering if any of you know where I might be able to find any online errata or a page with mistakes in the patterns or anything like that. I checked out the publisher page and didn't find anything, and I googled Sarah Dallas and I could find only places that sell her books, or the genealogy of people with the name.

Any thoughts? My problem is that the graph has a chart that tells you which symbols correspond to which colors, except the key is blank boxes with no symbols in them. That's page 100 in my copy.

Take care, Bev
2006 FO Count: 2
OTN: 2 pairs of socks and my very first sweater!
http://bwdiaz.blogs.com/comfybev/

Go to Top of Page

Laura Ver
Seriously Hooked

656 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2006 :  7:05:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Laura Ver's Homepage Send Laura Ver a Private Message
Bev, you could check the Rowan forums. They publish errata for their patterns from time to time. I think one can access the errata page without becoming a member of Rowan International. Good luck.

Laura
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.67 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?