Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 New Knitting in Public Experience
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

BlueStocking
Sustaining Member

USA
945 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2002 :  09:10:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit BlueStocking's Homepage Send BlueStocking a Private Message
Hi! Just had tell you about my knitting experience yesterday ... knew all of you would appreciate it ... no big deal, really, just alot more interest than it usually garners.

I had to go to the hospital for some blood work (no big deal, just a thyroid check ... but my derned health insurance insists that it must be done at a CERTAIN lab, which is only at the local hospital) ... so I must go and sit around for what seems like hours waiting.

Anyway, I brought my knitting along (as always), and was also wearing a very warm wool sweater I knitted for myself several years ago (since the temp has now quickly fallen into the 20's here in Virginia ).

So, I sign in, and proceed to sit down and pull out my knitting (blissfully happy that I have no kids with me, and *hoping* for a loonnnnngggg wait ). I've been knitting for oh, about 5 minutes, when I hear -- don't you just hate creative people? -- and giggling. I look up, and 6 or so nurses are leaning on the sign-in counter, watching me. They then ask me if I knitted my sweater and ooh and ahh over it (which is always nice ). Just about every one has a story along the lines of --I used to knit-- or --well, I crochet a little-- ... --gee, I wish I could make something like that-- ... all of which I replied, of course, that they COULD do it, too!

Then, they start blackmailing me ... --hmmm, she's here for a blood draw ... well, we could make it pretty painless, but it'll cost her, don't you think? Maybe a nice sweater, say in a size 10 or so --- hahaha.

Anyway, I left my name and telephone number with several of these fiendish nurses, who were maybe interested in learning how to knit again. Of course, since I had my knitting with me, I did not have to wait long at all .

Now, I have knitted in public quite a bit -- on planes, trains, in doctor's offices, at the park. But, I've never had this much interest or conversation about it. It was a little disconcerting being the object of such attention and scrutiny, in a room full of patients who are all now staring at me . Although, I'm a "pusher" ... always trying to get others hooked onto my addiction -- ah, come on, it's fun, you'll love it --

Now, don't get me wrong. I ain't complainin' ... I've just never experienced quite this level of "interest" all at once before. I suppose all this attention is because knitting is still "in"?? At least I didn't get any "Grandma" comments!

Jennifer

"Imagination mixed with vividness becomes reality."

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2002 :  2:37:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
I can understand how you feel, Jennifer! I really dislike attention like that from strangers (and friends!) that is why I think twice about knitting in waiting rooms etc if there are several people there. I wish they would just let me get on with it! But it is strange how you don't seem to have to wait so long if you are knitting - is it just that you are having too much fun?

KathyR
Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2002 :  2:47:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
Okay, through my job, I belong to Toastmasters that meets on Tuesday at noon. I have started to take knitting to the meetings, as I find that my level of concentration in the meeting is quite high when my hands are busy.

Today I am working on an Eros scarf, and had several of the women finger the yarn and comment on not having seen it before. I pointed them to the local yarn stores, and also offered to head up a field trip and teach them how to knit.

How is that for advancing the dominion of knitting?

Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2002 :  3:45:20 PM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
On knitting and waiting times: Part of my job is to go to the DMV and register the parish's vehicles. Since we're a non-profit, our trucks and vans (but not passenger cars!!) are exempt from state property tax, so I can't just mail them in. I used to go empty handed, thinking I'd be in and out in no time; I'd end up being there for a couple hours. Then I started taking a book; I ended up being there less than an hour. Now that I take my knitting, they call me as soon as I walk in ...no more knitting time. I've told several people this and they've all threatened to take up knitting or have me do their DMV business from now on! I think it's a conspiracy on the part of those government workers, every one of which I've encountered have been so atypical of the stereotype (thank goodness!)! So, if you have to go somewhere odius where you think you'll have to wait a long time, take your knitting along!

chris

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2002 :  08:17:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Well, of COURSE no-one uttered the G word in your presence, Jen. For those who haven't met her, our Miss Bluestocking is young,tall, willowy, and drop-dead gorgeous.

Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2024 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2002 :  08:39:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message
How do.
Jen, I loved reading about your waiting room experience - you have given me the motivation to always have a knitting project w/me when I wait! The rest of you all have added to that too.
Kdcrowley, I take my knitting w/me to meetings at our library - I'm on the Board of the Friends group for the library & also attend the "general" meetings for the library as well as the library-run book group. I have discovered that if I am knitting thru the meetings, they are easy to attend plus I don't reach for the delicious snacks they have for us.
When I am in the doctor's or dentist's office, I usually have a book or I write a letter or read a PEOPLE magazine. I have taken small quilting projects w/me but they can be a bit much to "lug around" for a short period of time.
Lissa, you are right on the $ re how lovely Jen is. I have missed your posts on the Forum - good to see your name here!!

Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2002 :  09:04:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Thanks, sweetie (speaking of lovelies..). I've subscribed to three knitting listservs, and having been out of town for five days at Thanksgiving, I've just caught up with the digests enough to come play here.

I don't often KIP, but only because I mostly knit sweaters, not small stuff, and The Sweater That Wouldn't Die requires more concentration than my addled ADD brain can focus on it when I'm out and about.

Go to Top of Page

Martheme
Sustaining Member

USA
1565 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2002 :  10:47:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martheme's Homepage  Send Martheme a Yahoo! Message Send Martheme a Private Message
LOL!

Okay, any StarTrek fans will get this . . . I apologize to the rest of you . . .

But "we" are like the Borg of the knitting world! "Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated. You will learn to knit!"

Martheme of Sheep Hearth of Golden Leaf Camp
visit the EC Fans site http://ecfans.com/forums.htm
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2002 :  10:58:03 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
I don't think I could get the hang of knitting standing up! Do you always carry a bag or purse with you? I use my purse about 10 times a year and my backpack or pockets the rest of the time. I also have my purse/bag over the right shoulder and I knit Continental, so I don't know how knitting & standing would work - any of you tried it?

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

BlueStocking
Sustaining Member

USA
945 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2002 :  11:34:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit BlueStocking's Homepage Send BlueStocking a Private Message
Oh, Lissa ... you do embarrass me ... thanks for the flattering words -- you are too kind .

I do love to take my knitting with me to appointments ... even though I don't always get to do it (the kids are not always cooperative of this concept when we're out together). Being at the park in the warm weather is also a great time. I would take it with me everywhere if I didn't worry that it might appear rude (most of my girl friends are used to me, but still ... ).

Martha -- I think your library and book club meetings sound just perfect for knitting! That would be the best of worlds for me, to combine books and knitting at the same time!

I have not really ever tried to knit standing up or walking either. I'm so clumsy I'd probably fall flat on my face (they didn't call me Tumbleweed in college for nothing! ). I do have a friend in my knitting group who takes knitting with her EVERYWHERE. She has a little bag that she wears on her wrist/elbow, and puts a skein of yarn in it and usually knits socks as she walks around ... wherever she is! I think that's just quite a talent.

Jen

Go to Top of Page

LJ
Permanent Resident

USA
1939 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2002 :  11:40:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit LJ's Homepage Send LJ a Private Message
I stood in Target the other weekend and knitted for about 10 minutes. Purse was on my left shoulder, I throw the yarn with my right hand so the yarn was pulled across. I was knitting garter stitch scarf so it was very simple and I didn't have to look at every stitch. Oh and I use circular needles. I think it would have been difficult if the scarf was long and hanging down.

Linda

PS brought my knitting along with me this past weekend (Wal Mart, Blockbuster,Target, Barnes and Noble, post office, Harris Teeter) and didn't stand in one line! I was so disappointed!

Go to Top of Page

jmweis
Chatty Knitter

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2002 :  1:42:25 PM  Show Profile Send jmweis a Private Message
I do knit while I walk to school.I was inspired by a picture of a Shetland (?) woman who was collecting peat. She had a huge basket that was strapped to her back with the strap, I think around her forehead, and she had her knitting with her, I think she was knittin socks. After I saw that picture I thought that this was a skill that I should cultivate. There are a couple of tricks though. I can't knit anything too complicated, or too big. Short needles or circular needles are a must. I usually hold my yarn in a pocket. It usually works, though the other day I ended up taking my yarn for a walk . I was actually suprised at how easy it was to knit while walking, that is until I drop a stitch or make some other mistake. I need to be sedentary to deal with that.

The coolest thing about this, because I really don't get that much knitting done, is that people who would probably just ignore me actually talk to me. Today in fact there was a high school/college age boy who told me that he crochets. I thought that was pretty cool.

I have a goal to knit more in public.
Good Knitting to all.
Cheers
Jennifer

Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2002 :  7:54:55 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
Jennifer, where in Virginia do you live? I'm in norhtern VA near Leesburg.

See my completed projects!
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=977585&uid=619962&members=1
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2002 :  10:39:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
Those Shetland women from way back were certainly something! They knitted with very long needles and stuck the ends of them into a special belt fastened around their waist. The belt was made of leather, I think, and had little holes punched in a wider portion of the belt to hole the ends of the needles. I guess because they had to clothe all of their family as well as often relying on the extra money from knitting they sold, they would have to knit any spare moment they had. This would include the times they were walking, at home as well as any meetings or gatherings they attended. And their knitting was absolutely wonderful, especially their lace shawls and scarves!

My sister's ex-husband came from the Shetlands and they visited there many years ago. (About 15 I guess) She brought me home one of the lace scarves her elderly MIL had made. It was so lovely. She was unable to spin any more so the yarn was bought. Not as soft as I thought it would have been.

Anyway, I suppose some people throughout the world knit in public just because they want to, and others because they need to.

KathyR
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2002 :  10:57:32 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Jennifer: I knit every chance I get if the mood so strikes me except on muni (bus service) and the reason for that any of you out there who know about the good old 30 in San Francisco knows why I confine myself to reading a book. At the laundromat I often knit and read. I was raised that idle hands are the devil's playground and you know who they were sure would be the chief player. Me of course. Beverley

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live.!"

Bev
Go to Top of Page

Bumblebee
Warming Up

Australia
62 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2002 :  04:29:09 AM  Show Profile Send Bumblebee a Private Message
It's funny that you all say knitting seems to help prevent waiting in queues, etc. I was on the train the other day and it sat there for about 5 minutes when I remembered that I had my knitting with me so decided to pull it out. Didn't seem to do much though as the train ended up being late by about half an hour! Maybe you need to knit from the start to prevent the delay - pulling it out half way into the trip just isn't good enough?? To top it off, the train was full of primary school kids on an excursion so you can imagine that I didn't end up getting that much knitting done after all! Most of the boys weren't interested (so it's nice to hear that there is a male out there who crochets) but the girls seemed to like the idea. I think it might've helped that I was knitting in bright pink wool!
Rebecca

Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2002 :  05:38:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
It is easier to knit standing up if you're using circular needles. Weight distribution and not much chance of poking others, probably. Last winter I knitted on a sweater body while waiting outside the dr.'s office while my Dad was having personal and embarassing treatments. Only because i was in a hallway and there were no chair. It really did help me with the tenion of caring for elderly ill parents and it also garnered a sort of gentle interest from passing staff.

quote:
Well, of COURSE no-one uttered the G word in your presence, Jen. For those who haven't met her, our Miss Bluestocking is young,tall, willowy, and drop-dead gorgeous.

Gotta agree there.

Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2002 :  07:58:51 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
Maybe Jennifer has stumbled upon another use for knitting in public, it can be used as a stud magnet. Hee Hee

Zola
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2002 :  2:07:58 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
I had to go to the doctor yesterday. I thought of you people as Ipulled out my knitting for the long wait. I waited 45 minutes before being called in to sit in the exam room another 35 minutes. I would have gone mad without my knitting.

Anita

Go to Top of Page

BlueStocking
Sustaining Member

USA
945 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2002 :  4:26:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit BlueStocking's Homepage Send BlueStocking a Private Message
WELL ... for what it's worth ... I went Christmas shopping on Sunday and, figuring that I would be waiting in MAJOR lines all over the place, brought my knitting with me.

Guess what!!

NO LINES!! And here I was all ready for them!! Urgh. Toys-R-Us, LLBean, Borders Books, Costco ... all literally line-free. It's only because I had my knitting with me... I just know that!

Oh well ... on the flip side, I DID get all my Christmas shopping done mightly quickly!

Jen

P.S. Anita -- I live in Warrenton ... nice to meet you on Sunday at the KnitKnutz!

Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2002 :  8:13:23 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
Thank you! I got to meet Jenn and Lissa and some others Sunday. It was quite fun knitting with ohter people. My husband thinks i'm odd. Wait till I tell him I want to go on a knitting retreat! Heh heh.

Anita

quote:

Jen

P.S. Anita -- I live in Warrenton ... nice to meet you on Sunday at the KnitKnutz!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.62 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth