Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Am I the only one?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

pinkneedles
Warming Up

62 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2002 :  10:45:51 PM  Show Profile Send pinkneedles a Private Message
I'm practically blushing, and can barely bring myself to say this, but...I love metal needles!

Sure, I salivate over the beauty of the rosewoods, birches, New England Maples, Ebonies, and the ever-popular bamboo needles. I would adore a pair of the rhinestone or coal jet or glass topped needles, but only if they were aluminum.

What can I say? The woods are gorgeous, but I must have the cool feel, the quiet metallic-y click, and the Speed. I'm a fast knitter and natural needles slow things down for me.

Would I be the only one at Retreat who clicked? Am I the only metalist out there?

Pink

betsy_who_plays_with_string
Warming Up

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2002 :  10:57:48 PM  Show Profile Send betsy_who_plays_with_string a Private Message
Oh HECK no!

When my grandma died, I was the ONLY knitter in the family, so I got a ton of good ol' Susie Bates. My set of blue sz 5 dpns still had the .40 sticker on them.

When they shut down the old Walmart to open up a Supercenter a few years back (I do live in the South, mind you), good ol' Susie Bates was .50-1.00 per pack---I think I spent 18 dollars. And why not? No one else in this town knows what to do with them. (I'll be glad to TELL them)

I've never REALLY loved the Clover needles, but I am a plastic fan, too. I like that weird dime store smell that comes off of my tortoise-look Swallow needles.

All in all, since the frosted aluminum finish on ol' Susie sometimes gives me the willies, I LOVE the Addi turbos.

But it's not what needles you use, really, it's what comes off them. And as long as the tips aren't rough, or scratchy, or blunt like the first stupid round of Ponies (that I'd like to poke in the designer's EYE!) that I bought a whole set of, wouldn't you rather spend your obsession funds on gorgeous fiber?

And last but not least-I always have too many UFOs to use $$$ needles!

Metal-Head and Needle-smeller--

Bets

Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2002 :  04:52:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
It's that clickey sound I love! Sometimes I just dangle the needles to listen to the music!! I like bryspuns when I have to do teensy work on size 0's and 1's and I like wooden if I have a particularly mean rayon chinelley yarn. But for good old knitting give me ... well... how does that old add copy go? Promise me anything but give me ADDI's.

It is why I like to knit socks on 2 circulars - even more than the speed factor or the pressure on my finger that makes it go numb, I do it because I like that clickey sound. I also love the sound the metal stays make against the aluminium masts. It's supposedly the thing people hate, when sleeping in a marina but it always sounds like carefree summer to me.

Don't worry - while in our secret hearts there are many yarn snobs, I don't truly think there are any real needle snobs.

Go to Top of Page

mokumegane
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2002 :  09:08:16 AM  Show Profile Send mokumegane a Private Message
Metal are too slick!

Amanda

Laugh- it keeps you sane!
Go to Top of Page

marnita
Chatty Knitter

USA
348 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2002 :  10:19:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit marnita's Homepage Send marnita a Private Message
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy bamboo and other wood needles. (Not a fan of plastic - too many have broken on me mid-project.) But the click of the metal needles is soothing and enjoyable. I love to hear that staccato metal making beautiful projects. It's much more soothing than the sound of clicking computer mice!

http://marneysworld.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2002 :  11:01:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
My first set of needles was the aluminum straights. I have not touched them since I got some Bates Metal circulars which I like. However, the frosted aluminum needles give me the creeps....something about the sound and feel of the fiber on them just gives me the willies.

I like the bamboos for the Eros ribbon that I am making a scarf with right now...stitches don't fly off of the needle.

But so far, I must say that the Bryspuns are my favorites right now. I love that tip...

Anyway, it does not matter what you like, as long as you like it.

Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2002 :  11:43:56 AM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
I use both. It depends more on the characteristics of the yarn than of the needles which I use. Slippery yarn, wood or bamboo; catchy yarn, metal.

I love that clicking, too!

chris

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2002 :  3:01:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
Hi, Pink! I am with you. I love metal needles, too. But not so much for the clicking sound, although I don't mind it when I am alone and not annoying anyone. But I like the fact that I can knit quickly without being held up by sticky needles. I can see the usefulness for bamboo and wooden needles when knitting with slippery yarns, though. I just haven't knitted with anything like that, yet! One day, when my budget allows, maybe.

KathyR
Go to Top of Page

BlueStocking
Sustaining Member

USA
945 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2002 :  3:45:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit BlueStocking's Homepage Send BlueStocking a Private Message
Hi!

I used to SWEAR by my lovely Brittany needles. Just loved them. So warm in my hand.

Then a girlfriend talked me into trying Addi-turbo's ... and the Brittanys are now a lovely arrangement in a birch bark vase in my living room. Because they are just too pretty to put away, even if I don't use them anymore.

I will admit to a slight obsession here. I love Addi's. For anything. For everything. Yes, I love the clickety-click. But I also love the smooth transition from needle to wire on the Addi's -- never a snag there. And the suppleness of the wire -- no twisting up constantly. And I love that they warm up in my hands, too. And I love the speed. As much as I love wonderful yarn, it's the whole experience that draws me in -- including the needles I use. I don't like to knit with yarn I don't like, or needles I don't like either . Addi all the way for me ... I'm an Addi-Addict!

Pink, there was lots of clicking going on at the Retreat . Lots of wood, too. And plastic. Everyone feels differently, and we all fit together like a wonderful patchwork quilt!

Jen

"Imagination mixed with vividness becomes reality."
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4395 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2002 :  4:18:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
I've been thinking about this...I just love every kind of needle! I love my Addis for their quiet speed and that soft clicking sound they make, and because they are so sturdy. I love my rosewood circulars for their warmth and beauty, and because each time I use them I remember the wonderful autumn afternoon when I bought them. I love my little Brittany DPN's because they help me hold on to difficult yarns, and because the first time I used them I made two tiny lace caps for my best friend's twins with my handspun silk/baby Coopworth -- another lovely memory. I even love my old plastic circulars from the variety store, because they helped me learn how to knit way back when. And I love the rest of my needle stash because most of the time I can find what I need just when I need it!

Jane

Go to Top of Page

berlinknits
Chatty Knitter

230 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2002 :  5:22:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit berlinknits's Homepage Send berlinknits a Private Message
I am an Addi adict, too! At a knitting group everyone seems to be using Clover bamboo needles and so I tried them on a complicated pattern thinking they would work better but found myself getting frustrated with the lack of speed and craving my Addis. Now I know for sure I'm addicted to them!

Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2678 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2002 :  9:54:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message
Jen, I'm with you - I NEVER thought I would say this, but my Brittanies are too slow for me now. I blame it all on Addi - once i started with them for socks, I wanted them for everything. I find myself getting impatient with the birch and bamboo needles I have collected in bigger sizes. I'm knitting a scarf for a skit at work (long story) and the Clover 10 1/2's that saw me through so many projects a few years ago seem like they are coated with tar, so slowly do they move through the stitches. Brittany, you are so pretty, but Addi gets the job done!

Luann

Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2002 :  11:37:37 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi,Pink: Use whatever type needle suits you best. I have no problem with metal needles either. I have through the years used all different kinds--wooden, metal, plastic, etc. When I was a child I actually had the opportunity to use balene--real whale bone, not an immitation. To me it depends on what you are making and what makes the yarn move the best possible way. At this point in time I also take into consideration the fact that I have arthritis in my hands from all those years of pounding a manual, then electric typewriter and on into a computer. The best thing about a typewriter is that you have to stop occasionally to put in paper and could not possibly keep going for a long period of time. There was something to be said about that. Years back when teaching a knitting class I actually used two different color metal needles to show the stitches moving from one needle to the other. In those days you could have the same size needle in different colors and I always felt it worked well. When teaching that class I got into the habit of using two different color needles outside the class and I loved it. I still have those needles even though I usually use circulars. Beverley

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live."

Bev
Go to Top of Page

wildflower
New Pal

47 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2002 :  4:41:21 PM  Show Profile Send wildflower a Private Message
YOu know,it was not until this came up that I realized that yes, I do prefer meatal.

Last year I made tons of rolled brim hats in just a week or two.This year, I have made two in the same amount of time on bamboo needels as I still cannot find my metal ones since we moved.

I am a slow knitter as it is and I do not need anything to slow me down.

Go to Top of Page

AtomicKnit
Chatty Knitter

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2002 :  5:08:11 PM  Show Profile Send AtomicKnit a Private Message
I have darn near every size and style of needle made, and the needles I find I work with the most are: my "cheapie" Susan Bates metal circulars! I like the finish, I like the point, the joins are smooth, and they don't make that hollow clacking sound like the Addi turbos. For straight needles, I actually prefer my (gasp!) plastic Boyes that I bought in a thrift shop: they're lightweight, good points, and they're not cold. (BTW I love my Clover bamboos, too, but they're too slow with finer yarns.) Why be a snob about tools? Find needles you like, regardless of the price tag, and make beautiful things with them.

Go to Top of Page

Dot
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2002 :  5:10:54 PM  Show Profile Send Dot a Private Message
I too am an Addi addict. Not because of the speed...I'm still a relatively slow knitter given that I've knit practically every day for a year. I just love how the yarn glides over the needles and that smooth, smooth join. But clickety click? What am I doing wrong? I also love them because they're quiet!! Just a little lovely shush of a sound. They only click when I bump the ends together which is inadvertent (or when I'm un-knitting for some reason I'll get a click now and then). Very nice for knitting in company without making others twitch. Reading this thread, I had to jump up and knit a few stitches just to make sure I wasn't imagining quiet when in fact I was clicking away. Nope. No clicking. Is this a by-product of a quirky knitting style, perhaps?

Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2002 :  5:16:24 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Kim: Boy do I agree with you. Why be a snob about anything. If you like knitting on certain needles--use them. If you like certain yarns and aren't exactly the landed gentry and it works well use that too. I ALWAYS make baby things in a machine washable and dryable acrylic. A new mother doesn't need a lot of extra work piled on her already big load of work. I give washing instructions with my baby knits and they all go in the washing machine and dryer. When did we get so uptight about all this stuff. So the yarn doesn't cost $50 a skein who cares--who knows but you. Right now I am making two different baby blankets and one is on a metal tipped circular and the other on ebony. Having tons of needles, lots of them tied up with ufo's I use whatever is available. At this time I won't get into the needlework scroll frames I have tied up in unfinished projects. Beverley

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live."

Bev
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4395 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2002 :  6:24:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
All these love letters to our needles are wonderful! I think that what I love most about knitting and fibers and needles and the whole creative process is that it is so tactile -- our hands can do all this, and it's incredible. Our needles are so much more than equipment, aren't they?

Jane
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2002 :  1:59:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
Ha,ha, I thought I was the only person who hates the clacking the Addi Turbos make...they are fast, but especially the size 9's I have, are so noisy! I think I got used to it after a while. I have several inches done on dh's green cardigan that I am doing in the round, but with the front open. I don't like Clover bamboos much. They seem to stick to my yarn. I have a set of Brittany Birch 14 in. straight needles that I do like for certain things. They have the pretty carved handles, so they should be on display in a vase or something!! I like to use plastic sometimes as they are easier on my hands, and don't stick to things! Barb

"OF ALL THE THINGS I HAVE LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST!"
Go to Top of Page

Hello Knitty
Permanent Resident

1069 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2002 :  2:12:59 PM  Show Profile Send Hello Knitty a Private Message
My ATs don't click - am I missing something? I think any needle can click, depends on the knitter's technique probably. I'm a bit of a needle snob. I don't like cheap plastic because I have to use synthetics and they tend to stick or squeak on plastic. I have some 12mm, 15mm and 20mm plastics that don't squeak. I'll see if there's a name on them. They're sold loose at my lys. I adore my ATs! I like bamboo for cotton and I love the weight of metal. Whatever works with what you're knitting!

Go to Top of Page

NancyG
New Pal

24 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2002 :  08:41:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit NancyG's Homepage Send NancyG a Private Message
I, too, love the Turbos - I knit with circulars. I knit fast and I knit a lot and the bamboo circulars are way too slow. I find I need to make my stitches much more deliberately with them and then the meditative quality of the repetitive movement is lost. (plus you can't pour boiling water over them to unkink the cable.)I do like the Crystal Palace bamboo doublepoints (but can't find them anymore. Any hints?) and use them for mittens.

Nancy

Nancy G.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.81 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by