Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Talk about books reviewed in Knitter's Review
 New Cat Bordhi book
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

SweetJane
Chatty Knitter

168 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  08:42:52 AM  Show Profile Send SweetJane a Private Message
I finished reading the review by Clara and I'm interested! I used Cat's method to learn how to knit socks on two circulars. I did find some points weren't explained well but with the help of the Yahoo! Socknitters group I did get it worked out.

Has anyone seen this book? I'd love to try the Moebius but I'm wondering if someone who isn't really a knitting expert (me) will be able to figure out this trick??

Jane

Meadra
Chatty Knitter

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  08:51:12 AM  Show Profile Send Meadra a Private Message
I've had this book on my Amazon wish-list for a couple months now. I really want both books!

Christy
Go to Top of Page

passionknit@verizon.net
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  09:30:57 AM  Show Profile Send passionknit@verizon.net a Private Message
I am absolutely captivated by the mobius baskets. I have made 5 already experimenting with beads, trims, fringe, color. The possibilities are endless. The cast on is not complicated. It is truely magical the way the mobius emerges. I have made a mobius scarf before from a cast on edge which was visible when complete. This cast on edge is completely invisible. Cat's method is truely ingenious.
Go to Top of Page

LeahG
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  10:37:11 AM  Show Profile Send LeahG a Private Message
....I'd love to try the Moebius but I'm wondering if someone who isn't really a knitting expert (me) ....

There's a free pattern for a center-out moebius at http://www.planetshoup.com/easy/knit/scarfmb.shtml the cast-on is different than Cat Bordhi's, but the idea is the same (start at the center and keep knitting until it's wide enough cast-off) This one's been online for years, I knit it 4 yrs ago, more or less.

2 tips -

1. When you read the instructions, they will sound wrong. Just do what it says and don't try to imagine it ahead of time.

2. Use a circ with a flexible cable and short (long?) enough so that you don't have to stretch the stitches much to join the 1st and last stitch (use the 'join' described in the pattern)

Go to Top of Page

VickiKK
Seriously Hooked

935 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  10:52:12 AM  Show Profile Send VickiKK a Private Message
Is that Cat in all of the pictures in the first book?
Vicki near Seattle
Go to Top of Page

amandaCO
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
530 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  1:34:26 PM  Show Profile Send amandaCO a Private Message
VickiKK, I wondered the same thing! I just picked up the book the other day and haven't yet combed through it throughly to see if there is any mention of who the model is.
Go to Top of Page

Rounds
New Pal

28 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  4:00:33 PM  Show Profile Send Rounds a Private Message
I am so excited to read about this book! I also noted she has a Second Treasury of Magical Knitting coming out. My local library has ordered three copies and there is already a9 holds on it, mine is one of them now. Can't wait to view it personally. Between now and then I may stop in a bookstore to see it earlier.

Denise
Go to Top of Page

CatBordhi
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  5:44:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit CatBordhi's Homepage Send CatBordhi a Private Message
Hello - this is Cat Bordhi and I am thrilled to have Clara writing about me again!

I thought I'd respond to some of the questions in the forum since I know the answers. That is not me modeling the Moebius scarves, capes, boots, and so on, but my divine model, Vanessa Ament, who grew up on the island where I live. Vanessa, in her early twenties, has been on stage since she could walk, and may be one of the most gifted and radiant actresses/singers/dancers alive today. When she sings, every cell in her body sings with her . . . I wish you could all see her and hear her. She is currently studying classic voice at Cornish in Seattle and if you could hear her sing an aria you would weep with joy. I knew she would be able to model my Moebius pieces and express their magic with her own magical presence, even though this was her very first modeling job. I've had many compliments on her and love passing them on. She's promised me that even if she becomes world famous, she will fly in from Paris to model for my next book (and no, I don't know what my next book will be about!). But at least I'll have a beautifull model.

Yes, the cast-on round is invisible, for it is swallowed up by your knitting. You do have to see this happen in your own hands to believe it. The most interesting thing about magical Moebius knitting is that no one believes a word I am saying about it until they see it happening in their own hands, and then they realize it is every bit as simple and grace-filled as I say, and they begin to smile like happy small children. I teach many knitting workshops around North America and love watching people's faces start out skeptical and uncertain, then slowly soften, glow, and change into a sense of wonder and delight and astonishment at the simplicity of the knitted Moebius form.

By the way, if you have ever twisted your join when knitting circularly, you do not have a Moebius. A Moebius has one continuous surface and one continuous edge. If you twist the join and keep knitting, you will have a cast one edge and a separate cast-off edge. In my magical Moebius the cast-on is swallowed up, so it is not an edge, but becomes part of the surface, while the cast off becomes the continuous edge at the end. This sounds ever so mysterious- even impossible - until you do it, it works like a charm, and you feel like a small happy child with a new toy that is ever so satisfying and delightful. I strongly recommend you take a few moments to make the paper model found in introductory material in each book to discover for yourself what you will be knitting. The paper model alone is a magic trick equal to pulling a rabbit out of a hat, only there is no rabbit to feed and the magic is just as good!

I will keep my eye on this forum and answer questions as they come up. You may also want to see my website - www.catbordhi.com - where you can read about my workshops and see some downloads of the books.

Wishing every one of you the blessedness of magical knitting, whatever you are knitting!

Cat Bordhi

Cat Bordhi
Passing Paws Press
www.catbordhi.com
Go to Top of Page

Raven_Girl
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  5:46:54 PM  Show Profile Send Raven_Girl a Private Message
I bought both books and decided to make the felted bag. The hardest part is casting on but if you're familiar with invisible cast on, it's easy to understand what's happening. It was a lot of fun to make and I'm planning on making a shawl next.
Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2046 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  6:17:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message
How do.
Cat, thank you for all the info you gave us in your post! I have your Socks book & want to buy these too.
Martha
Go to Top of Page

Donna
New Pal

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  8:50:41 PM  Show Profile Send Donna a Private Message
I have really enjoyed Cat's first book and made a lot of little projects. The first things I made were a lot of little smoke ring scarves. I was dying to see how the process worked. Cast on 60 to 80 stitches on #9 and knit 3 rounds, purl 3, and knit 3 more. I tried several different cast-offs with a contrasting yarn. I did this very fast project just before Christmas, everyone liked then, so that's what they got.
The next project was adding a long scarf to a Myrna Stahman Faroese shawl. It was an easy one, all garter stitch. I just love it. So glad I had a few extra skeins of yarn. I stitched scarf on the back section of the shawl.
I also made a dozen chemo hats with that cute little twist in the front. I used Red Heart TLC Amore. It comes in wonderfully soft jewel tone colors. These hats have to soft and washable.
My next project was to break mt left wrist over Presidents Day weekend. I tried everything I could to knit including running a double pointed needle down my cast. No luck. I have been using those round knitting looms for hats and scarves. It's really not knitting but it's better then nothing.
I did buy a set on Denise needles including the extra 2 long cables. I love these needles for Cat's projects.
I'm getting out of mt cast next week and my reward will be Cat's second book.
Try a Mobius. It's fun and easy and you won't find them in any store!

Donna in Idaho
Go to Top of Page

pwoods
Chatty Knitter

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  10:03:18 PM  Show Profile Send pwoods a Private Message
I've made one basket. Didn't see how on earth it was going to work out at first but followed directions and kept on knitting. Well, when I pulled that little basket out of the washer from being felted....I couldn't stop grinning like an idiot. I've felted many, many purses and bags, but this was such a charming little thing. I borrowed a balloon from my grandson to shape it as it dried. So round and smooth...

My next one will be with green wool and green eyelash yarn. The grass look, you know. Then, after that, perhaps Kitty will get a new bed to sleep in. Thanks, Cat, for such nifty cool things to knit.

Pat
Go to Top of Page

klpsnow@aol.com
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2005 :  04:30:12 AM  Show Profile Send klpsnow@aol.com a Private Message
I bought Cat's Socks Soar book several years, and it revolutionized my sock knitting. Then I bought the first Treasury, which is wonderful, but I didn't try anything. A few weeks ago I got the 2nd Treasury and jumped right in! I made a little bowl, then a spacious sling bag, and just started a 2nd sling bag. I can't stop. I want to make the nested bowls, the fanny basket, the tri-fold and bunches more.

Karen
Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4166 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2005 :  07:03:26 AM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message
This is such a timely topic because I bought the book about two weeks ago and just spun some beautiful silk/merino that I'm going to use to make a moebius scarf. I'm planning to learn the cast on today (a dreary rainy day here in Oregon). I love Cat's two circular needle technique for socks, and as someone else said, when the directions sounded confusing I just kept doing exactly what they said and it all worked out fine. I'll post pics on my blog soon!

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

knittygirl
Chatty Knitter

242 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2005 :  07:08:49 AM  Show Profile Send knittygirl a Private Message
I have the second book and made three moebius "easter" baskets a couple of weeks ago. I just loved the process, I found it sort of meditative to watch the moebius handle happen. I love anything knit in one piece, so this is just up my alley! There are several other things in this book I want to try.
Kerry
Go to Top of Page

Meadra
Chatty Knitter

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2005 :  07:32:39 AM  Show Profile Send Meadra a Private Message
Well, I've ordered the first book and am impatiently waiting for Amazon to deliver it.

Christy
Go to Top of Page

katies1969
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2005 :  4:32:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit katies1969's Homepage Send katies1969 a Private Message
Of the two books - which would you buy first (or at all) I have a very limited budget right now and I want to buy one of these but would like to know which if either you favor. Thanks - Katie

Katie
http://www.carpediemdesigns.50megs.com
Go to Top of Page

knitr54
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2005 :  10:08:40 PM  Show Profile Send knitr54 a Private Message
Hi,
Just have to say I love all of Cat Bordhi's books. I have made so many moebius scarves, can't stop, they're addictive. I meet with a group of friends of all ages, some older than me(50+), some younger and brought along the First Treasury of Magical Knitting. Before you know it, we were all doing the cast on and many scarves were born that day. I must say, I was doubtful at first if I could figure out the cast on, but before I knew it, there they all were cast on and ready to knit! It is the most fun new thing I have learned in years. Also, the socks on two circulars are a dream to knit. My 70+ friend and I are knitting them up by the pairs! Cat's books are like having a friend over to chat with. The pictures are beautiful and the patterns so user friendly, you can't go wrong with these books. If you can only afford one, I guess I would pick the First Treasury of Magical Knitting, because it has the most in depth instructions for the basic scarves & capes. I can't wait to see what Cat has in store for us in the future. Her techniques are amazing and her ideas truly unique. Thanks for some of the most wonderful knitting books around!
Go to Top of Page

Maggs

Posted - 04/20/2005 :  10:40:50 AM  Show Profile Send Maggs a Private Message
Can someone tell me (Cat? Anyone???) if the crocheted version of the invisible cast-on will work when attempting the Mobius Cast On.....I want to try it and I can do the crocheted version, but I don't want to waste my time if it won't work!! Thanks, Maggs
Go to Top of Page

leftyknits
Warming Up

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2005 :  7:40:42 PM  Show Profile Send leftyknits a Private Message
I have both of Cat's Treasuries, and they are my absolute favorites! I am currently working on another basket, They are truly addicting, and quick and easy to knit! Keep up the good work Cat!!! I can't wait to see what she comes up with in her Third Treasury!

-Crystal
[img]http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/knit.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

Meadra
Chatty Knitter

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2005 :  12:12:25 PM  Show Profile Send Meadra a Private Message
I now have the first book and am practicing the cast-on. It's so much fun!

I really want to make the felted boots, but I've never done anything felted before so I had to ask, is the gauge giving in the book pre- or post-felting? The gauge is 13 sts=4". It says to use heavy worsted wool (or double stranded light worsted) for making them, but isn't that more the gauge for bulky?

Christy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.66 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.