Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 If you could only subscribe to one Knitting Mag...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

platys
Seriously Hooked

USA
719 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2002 :  12:43:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit platys's Homepage Send platys a Private Message
Hi everyone!

I subscribe to both Interweave Knits and Knitters', and have for about two years now. I usually end up picking up Vogue Knitting, but it generally doesn't do much for me.

Anyways, if you had to only pick one (its theoretical, luckily for me. :)), which Knitting Magazine would you pick?

It used to be that Knitters was my favorite, but Interweave Knits has really taken over. Since the editor has changed, I haven't liked any of the issues, and almost none of the patterns. I'm probably just boring, but I don't like really "way out" there patterns. Plus, I don't like at all how each magazine has a "theme". For example, the vests issue. I don't wear vests. I like how Interweave Knits has a lot of classic options with really interesting yarn. When they do go out on a rope, it seems like they are still attractive.

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2002 :  1:05:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
See below
Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2002 :  1:06:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
How funny! I have jsut recently picked up Interweave and was not impressed.

BUT....I am less likely to make something according to a pattern, and more likely to branch out on my own....therefore I want eye candy and some articles. IWK seems to focus on the patterns, with very little in the way of articles. I do like the articles that VK and KM offer, but wish they would do more. Also I really like to look at the ads in VK as the sweaters in the ads tend to be clean but with interesting silhouettes etc. Bottom line, I like the eye candy.

My other complaint about the patterns, is that there is a vest in KM that I did want to make in the yarn shown. Of three yarn stores that I have asked at, none had the yarn (Colinette point five) and only one could order it for me. But I must fondle before ordering it....look at the colors etc. That is frustrating. So I may wind up taking the idea of the vest (it was the dropped garter vest in the fall mag) and do it in a yarn and gauge of my choice.....

But to answer your question, I think that it would have to me Knitter's magazine so far. I reserve the opportunity to overturn this preference in favor of another magazine after I have more experience in knitting.

Go to Top of Page

pqpatch
Seriously Hooked

USA
617 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2002 :  1:28:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit pqpatch's Homepage Send pqpatch a Private Message
I would also say Interweave Knits. I find Vogue too out there for me. I back ordered issues of Interweave Knits that I don't have and I can't wait till they arrive.

Go to Top of Page

Hello Knitty
Permanent Resident

1069 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2002 :  2:46:22 PM  Show Profile Send Hello Knitty a Private Message
Rebecca!!

Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2002 :  3:12:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
quote:

Rebecca!!

Where can you get it? I understand taht there are no subscriptions in the US for it?

Go to Top of Page

CatherineM
Permanent Resident

USA
3363 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2002 :  3:36:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit CatherineM's Homepage Send CatherineM a Private Message
Right now I subscribe to just about everything, but I am going to let them lapse and buy only when I look through it and see something interesting. My only "must have" subscription is Rowan - expensive, but worth it. Every issue has several things I can't wait to make, and I cannot say that for ANY of the others.

Go to Top of Page

djfleesh
Chatty Knitter

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2002 :  3:44:21 PM  Show Profile Send djfleesh a Private Message
like catherine, i used to subscribe to everything. over the past few years, though, i have started to weed out what i no longer like. vogue knitting and family circle easy knitting were first to go. i've been so disappointed with vk, too trendy, too easy, just too, ugh for me. i love interweave knits and knitters mags. rebecca is also groovy. i came across that in germany one visit to my sister a while ago. you can get it in some yarn shops, they have the english translation supplements included. (i speak german fluently, so i just pick 'em up whenever i get over there). as for picking just one? hmmmmm, it would have to be interweave knits. . . i think.

fleesh

Go to Top of Page

Hello Knitty
Permanent Resident

1069 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2002 :  4:20:37 PM  Show Profile Send Hello Knitty a Private Message
I don't think you can subscribe to Rebecca (yet) in North America. I just have a standing order for one at my lys. The website is www.rebecca-online.com

Go to Top of Page

CatherineM
Permanent Resident

USA
3363 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2002 :  4:45:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit CatherineM's Homepage Send CatherineM a Private Message
You can subscribe to Rebecca in the US, go to the website and snoop around, it's there somewhere. (I don't remember where.) I like Rebecca too, but Rowan has my heart - I subscribed to Rebecca because I thought my daughter would prefer the styles, since they are very "young" - but she has her mother's taste and drools over Rowan instead.

Go to Top of Page

mbmoody
Gabber Extraordinaire

583 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2002 :  5:06:48 PM  Show Profile Send mbmoody a Private Message
Rowan's the only one I subscribe to currently. The odd thing is, I rarely use Rowan yarns. I had a bad experience with the LYS that carries Rowan when I had to order enough of one dye lot to make a sweater, but I'm considering ordering from England to save money. At least the lousy customer service locally relieves me of any ethical dilemma about internet ordering. Back to the topic, I'm considering subscribing to IK. It seems that about every other issue has something I absolutely must make. But then, the issues that don't leave me cold. Maybe Rowan's twice a year schedule allows them to edit a bit more carefully than four issues a year would.
Mary
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2002 :  03:32:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
Yeah, but Rowan seems to think 40 inches around is XXXLarge and I've never seen anything big enough to fit me in it. And I'm biggish, but I'm not enormous. What gives? It's sort of snobbish to me.

Go to Top of Page

megknits
Sustaining Member

USA
729 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2002 :  09:08:45 AM  Show Profile Send megknits a Private Message
I love Interweave Knits, but I'm not a subscriber. Whenever a new issue is out I take myself to lunch at the local bookstore cafe and buy it there. But I'm thinking about taking Clara up on her order because I'd like to help support this site (not to mention saving a few bucks).

Clara, is there any chance Interweave would also extend the same offer to Spin Off? I'm only a beginning drop spindler but that's a really fascinating magazine.

Meg

"Do not meddle into the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2002 :  12:25:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
Has anyway seen or read the INKnitters Magazine??? I have been to their website where they have their first issue online. But all the rest are on subscription.
That is where the problem is. They do not have credit card facilities. That is okay in itself, but one of their offers included their first five issues with a years' subscription.
I have not found anyone in New Zealand which carries these magazines. We have a wonderful craft book outlet in Auckland - Books Unlimited - but they don't carry this mag.
I have tried emailing INKnitters three times already pleading with them to tell me how, and at what price, I can get this magazine in New Zealand. I have not received one reply from them. It makes me soooo hacked off!
But I would really like this mag. It has a lot of more technical articles than most I have seen with patterns which use these techniques.
Please, can anyone help me?

KathyR
Go to Top of Page

linda-gail
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2002 :  12:41:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit linda-gail's Homepage Send linda-gail a Private Message
I started out with all magazines coming to my house, and am weeding them out slowly. Knit-n-style was the first to go, soon followed by FC and vogue. I haven't tried Rebecca, yet, but think I will. Still in love with IK and Knitters. I tried Rowan for a year, stopped because I wasn't familiar with their yarns and I, too, like to touch first. Now that I have a LYS that stocks rowan yarns I might try it again.
I really like knitting articles, not just patterns. I want to learn new techniques and improve my skills, plus I enjoy a real review of books. (Not just a promo)I do love browsing, but mags are too expensive to keep up with all of them.

Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2027 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2002 :  2:47:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message
How do.
Platys, you have hit on a hot topic w/folks here. I have just done the INTERWEAVE KNITS CLara-got-us-a-deal subscription (thanks again).
As I have wondered over the past few months which mag to order, I have gone through some of the same debates that have been mentioned here. My DH & I have tried to be more selective w/our subscriptions to all magazines. (After a lengthy number of years of a subscription, I have not re-upped w/the NEW YORKER as I got too far behind w/them & it seemed I would never catch up!)
Linda-gail, I hope that some magazine publisher or two reads your comments re learning techniques & true book reviews (which I consider to be like the ones Clara does) & implements some changes in current formats. I agree w/you on this one.

Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4388 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2002 :  3:42:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
Thanks to everyone for the interesting topic! I have been thinking of subscribing to something, and now I know what to look for. I'm leaning towards Interweave Knits, but that's because I was a long-time subscriber to both Handwoven and Spin-Off (anybody out there need a back issue or two? I might part with a few). I like their books, too. So, the next time I get within range of a mega-bookstore I'll check out the mags!

Go to Top of Page

carols
Permanent Resident

USA
1681 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2002 :  3:53:14 PM  Show Profile Send carols a Private Message
Definitely Rowan, hands down. I love their yarns and their sense of style. Just fashionable enough without being ridiculously young or trendy, nice styles for kids and men, and the yarn is just to die for. (Do agree about the anorexic sizing... I think my THIGH alone has a circumference of 38 inches....)Plus you get a freebie of Rowan yarns in a little kit when you renew...Among the US magazines, I would have to say Interweave Knits right now, but it seems like the sensibility of each knitting magazine changes over time, so my pick might change, too. I agree that Vogue is too trendoid for me; and Knitter's, though I used to like it more, is starting to lose me with their HYUK patterns (an alpaca halter top?!! a scarf with the unwoven yarn ends from color changes sticking out all over?). But Knitter's does have good instructional articles. The patterns and overall style of IK are what appeal to me right now, though it's a little crunchy at times (do I really need another pattern for, e.g., cabled Czechoslovakian folk art-inspired lederhosen?) Family Circle occasionally has some decent, down-to-earth patterns but just when I think they're trying to de-dowdify, they will run a pattern for a knitted toilet paper cozy or some such. The bottom line for me is that I do like certain things about all of them, and dislike certain things about all of them. But I do read all of them, and take something, whether a pattern, an inspiration for a color combination, the name of a new yarn or an interesting stitch pattern away with me each time. Over time I cut back on a few other magazines in order to keep up with the knitting ones.
Interesting to hear everyone's thoughts on this one,
Carol

Go to Top of Page

suerupp
New Pal

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2002 :  6:55:05 PM  Show Profile Send suerupp a Private Message
quote:

Rebecca!!

Where can you get it? I understand that there are no subscriptions in the US for it?

Kelley (kdcrowley),

I subscribe to Rebecca through the U.S. distributor, Muench Yarns, in California. The Rebecca site is confusing, because when you click on Subscriptions, it says they are only available in Germany and Switzerland. However, if you click on Suppliers and then Magazines, it will show Muench Yarns' address; clicking on it takes you to their site.

http://www.muenchyarns.com/Pages/rebecca.html

I love their styles, even if I can't wear them. They are inspiring and trendy and the layouts are better than any knitting magazines in the U.S.

Sue

Go to Top of Page

mokumegane
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2002 :  07:06:49 AM  Show Profile Send mokumegane a Private Message
Oh, you're killing me! Anyway, I'd have to say there's no perfect knitting magazine because there's not a very good balance of patterns out there. Most of the magazines tend to have patterns for slim women instead of including more patterns for fuller figures, men's patterns, children's, pets, etc. However, the magazine with the most stuff I like is Interweave Knits. Really, I like anything Interweave and if there was more knitting in it, I'd say Piecework is my favorite.

Amanda

Laugh- it keeps you sane!
Go to Top of Page

mokumegane
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2002 :  07:07:41 AM  Show Profile Send mokumegane a Private Message
Oh, you're killing me! Anyway, I'd have to say there's no perfect knitting magazine because there's not a very good balance of patterns out there. Most of the magazines tend to have patterns for slim women instead of including more patterns for fuller figures, men's patterns, children's, pets, etc. However, the magazine with the most stuff I like is Interweave Knits. Really, I like anything Interweave and if there was more knitting in it, I'd say Piecework is my favorite.

Amanda

Laugh- it keeps you sane!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.86 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by