Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 Gusset stitch
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jtomsey
New Pal

9 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2002 :  09:24:56 AM  Show Profile Send jtomsey a Private Message
My directions for the gusset stitch say, "Pick up and twist gusset stitch. This just means grabbing an extra strand in between the needles, inorder to tighten up and avoid a hole." I have no idea what this means. I tried to find pictures on the Net or explanations of the stitch but cannot find anything that I can understand. Please help. Thanks.

marnita
Chatty Knitter

USA
348 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2002 :  10:38:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit marnita's Homepage Send marnita a Private Message
Check out this link. It has animations.

http://www.dnt-inc.com/barhtmls/knit/PUedge.html

Good luck!

http://marneysworld.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

BooksAngel
Chatty Knitter

USA
165 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2002 :  11:18:33 AM  Show Profile Send BooksAngel a Private Message
We may all do this a bit differently.

Looking at the picture I would pick up the virtical loops at the edge. Not the half hidden oned around the edge but the fat plump ones easy to grab.

At the beginning and end of the stretch of virtical loops where they meet the needles already in place I try to grab at least one extra loop that is not as easy to see. If the loops in these more difficult areas open a hole as I grab them I do not use them but find a stitch a small bit more back into the knitting. The object is to use good firm stitches not flacid threads that have lots of slack.

Now you need to know that I am right handed.

I slide all these potential stitches on a very slim knitting needle, one several sizes smaller than my working needles. I slip them on this needle so they look like conventional stitches. The yarn should be lying from back left to right front in a slant across the needle.
As I knit each potential stitch I knit into the back of the stitch. This gives that potential stitch it's twist and makes the heel edge firm and tight.

This is not the only way to do it. Others pick up different parts of the heel flap stitches. Some twist them on the pick up needle, but this is harder to knit from for the first row as they are hard to get a needle into. Some of us use a crochet hook to retreave each potential stitch and twish it just before it is knit. There is no right way.

The only thing to remember is that if you have picked up an extra stitch or stitches to avoid a hole, the extra stitch or stitches are knit two together with the neighboring stitch in that very round to make the fabric tight.

Does this help?

Angel

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.