Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 That impatient feeling
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2002 :  1:13:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
Just thought I would ask if any of you recognize that impatient feeling of just wanting to get a project done?

I have a sweater that I started for DS 3yo that I am doing sleeves for right now. I don't know if I am bored, ready for a new project or what, but I am getting really impatient with the sweater at this point. I got impatient yesterday with it that I wound up putting it down in favor of some spinning.

Any thoughts?

katxena
Chatty Knitter

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2002 :  1:17:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit katxena's Homepage Send katxena a Private Message
This happens to me *all* the time. Somewhere between 60% and 75% of the way through a project, I get bored with it. I no longer have the excitement of starting, and I haven't yet reached the "oh boy! I'm almost done!" stage.

It takes some will power for me to power through this section of any project (not just knitting). The good news is that I am getting better -- I used to hit this stage after finishing only 25% of the project!

Kris
http://www.papaya-palace.com
Go to Top of Page

marnita
Chatty Knitter

USA
348 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2002 :  2:48:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit marnita's Homepage Send marnita a Private Message
I get that feeling a lot with big projects. That may be the reason why I always have a bunch of projects all at the same time. If I get bored with one, I can move onto another one. Eventually, they all get rotated enough that boredom isn't a problem.

Another way I alleviate my growing tired of ane project is to give myself either a real or self-imposed deadline. That way boredom doesn't become an issue because it has to get finished whether I like it or not.

Good luck!

http://marneysworld.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

PattiG
Permanent Resident

1119 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2002 :  3:20:25 PM  Show Profile Send PattiG a Private Message
I sometimes combat this by embellishing the pattern a bit with color work or something that makes me use my brain. Somehow that makes the time go faster...I love the look of simple stocking stitch, crew neck sweaters, but getting to the home stretch does require will power as a previous post said.

Patti
Go to Top of Page

djfleesh
Chatty Knitter

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2002 :  4:27:40 PM  Show Profile Send djfleesh a Private Message
i am with you on this one kd:

i usually have about 4 projects going at one time, and when that feeling strikes (unless i am under a deadline), i move on to something else for a bit. this happened with a sweater i worked on for my husband. the sleeves came out toooooo long, and so i immediately ripped them out. there the unfinished project sits until it decides to lure me again! (bad sweater, bad sweater).

don't worry, i think it is all part of the "cycle of life," er, i mean knitting.

fleesh

Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2002 :  10:43:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
quote:

don't worry, i think it is all part of the "cycle of life," er, i mean knitting.

fleesh

Ok, I am going to rant a little right here. O, ye of weak hearts, here there be dragons.

I have just about had it with the cycle of life right now. I am a creative and normally extremely productive artist at heart who is stuck in a stupid banking job that has no real value in the world....It does not feed, clothe or improve the world in any way. It just furthers the gap between the Haves and HaveNots. But maybe I just cannot see it if there is value in this job other than the paycheck. I am a project manager for foreign exchange, meaning I put systems and processes in place. I do alot of thinking and that is not a good thing for me. When I think, I worry. When I worry, well I don't have to say anymore do I?

What I do know is that for years I have been trying to come up with something that could be an alternative to this thinking job, something that would allow me to be creative and right-brained most of the time. All the cycle of life is getting me is nowhere. I have had no inspiration and no real information come to me, and so I grind away at this job that eat away at my artistic soul so that I can take care of my family.

Kelley

Hoping, wishing, wanting to see some positive change but starting to despair.

Go to Top of Page

LJ
Permanent Resident

USA
1940 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2002 :  11:42:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit LJ's Homepage Send LJ a Private Message
Kelley,

I do understand what you are saying. I to work for a bank and while my title is Change Manager I feel like a note taker/document preparer. There seems to be little if no "creative" aspect to the job. On top of that it's time for the annual "will I have a job at Thanksgiving/Christmas" worry.

So, I walk out of the building or close my laptop(if I'm working at home) and try to forget it for a few hours and loose myself in my knitting, home, dog, garden, etc. where I can be creative.

Wonder if I took advantage of the Foreign Exchange system when I changed dollars to Euro's at the teller window before my recent trip to France!

Linda

Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2002 :  12:20:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
quote:

Kelley,

I do understand what you are saying. I to work for a bank and while my title is Change Manager I feel like a note taker/document preparer. There seems to be little if no "creative" aspect to the job. On top of that it's time for the annual "will I have a job at Thanksgiving/Christmas" worry.

So, I walk out of the building or close my laptop(if I'm working at home) and try to forget it for a few hours and loose myself in my knitting, home, dog, garden, etc. where I can be creative.

Wonder if I took advantage of the Foreign Exchange system when I changed dollars to Euro's at the teller window before my recent trip to France!

Linda

Change Manager sounds like a very familiar title. I think we may work for the same company....If so, then you may have used our FX system. I know the glorified note taker feeling. Email me privately and maybe we can commiserate.

Go to Top of Page

LJ
Permanent Resident

USA
1940 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2002 :  12:35:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit LJ's Homepage Send LJ a Private Message
You're email is hidden Kelley. Please write to me. It is a small world (with 130,000 or so associates) after all!

Linda

Go to Top of Page

beth95
Chatty Knitter

149 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2002 :  10:00:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit beth95's Homepage Send beth95 a Private Message
I had a job like Kelley's once. I had just quit grad school, and wanted to do something radically different--something that I could earn real money doing, instead of having to dig loose change out of the sofa cushions to buy ramen noodles (any fellow academics reading this, btw?) So I took a job at a prominent investment research and management company. I think I lasted there maybe two months, tops. Every second on the job felt like something was eating my soul. Sure, I had money, but it was ten thousand times worse than being a starving Ph.D. student.

It took about a year of temping and fruitless interviews before I finally found a job I could live with. I'm still here three years later. It isn't perfect, but it's over for the day at five o'clock, and I have time again for reading, knitting and other creative pursuits. I've even gone back to grad school part-time, ironically enough. So don't despair! You too can find a job that will pay your bills, increase your stash, and give you the time and space you need to indulge your creativity. The last part is key! I don't object so much to mindless drudgery at work if it stops at a certain fixed time in the day, and I still have the energy to be creative in the evenings.

Good luck to you. Find and follow your bliss!

--Beth :-)
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2002 :  10:05:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
I understand feeling worn out with your jobs, and I don't know what exactly yours entail, but as someone who very frequently has problems with money (not because of irresponsibility, but because I just plain don't get paid enough!) I have to say some of the people who have BEST made my days have been the people at the bank who patiently explain the usually ridiculous fees and credit them back to me when they see how sincere I am about my trouble. There's not really an easy way to let them know how much that means, but sometimes we don't see the good our actions can have.

But I had a friend who swore (and I agree) that if you do something you truly, truly love, the money will follow. You may not be wealthy, but you'll have what you need, and you'll be happy at work. If you do something just to pay the bills, you may never be happy, and you probably won't get rich either!

Good luck to you. Finding a dream is often harder than following it!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.84 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe