Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Forum Feedback and Suggestion Box
 Fair Isle/Intarsia
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Lavender Stripes
Gabber Extraordinaire

417 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2005 :  10:18:51 AM  Show Profile Send Lavender Stripes a Private Message
What about a color-work forum? I mean, there's a lace forum and a sock forum, etc. but color work is also a big part of knitting for a lot of people and it is very confusing for people just beginning or too intimidated to begin. What do you think?

Chequamegon
Chatty Knitter

231 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  10:15:19 AM  Show Profile Send Chequamegon a Private Message
I second the motion. . . I brought this up about a year ago.
Go to Top of Page

Yarnni
Permanent Resident

Canada
1021 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  1:12:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yarnni's Homepage Send Yarnni a Private Message
Yes, please!

Yarnni
www.knitwerx.com
Go to Top of Page

greengirl
Seriously Hooked

Taiwan
679 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2005 :  05:11:00 AM  Show Profile Send greengirl a Private Message
I agree that this would make a wonderful forum section... I know the line has to be drawn somewhere on new sections, but this one makes a lot of sense to me. --greengirl
Go to Top of Page

Kim M
Warming Up

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2005 :  09:54:18 AM  Show Profile Send Kim M a Private Message
Me too! I am always clicking on and wading through the forum trying to find colorwork related threads.

Kim M
Go to Top of Page

KnitRedSox
Chatty Knitter

170 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2005 :  4:36:57 PM  Show Profile Send KnitRedSox a Private Message
I agree. I am looking for resources now and this seems to be an ample topic. If we can have a topic on Love Sweaters and Knitting jokes, I am sure we can break one out for color knitting! Worth a thought.
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2005 :  7:36:28 PM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
Me too! I'm just beginning this technique and at times have tons of questions. It would be so nice to be able to come here and ask those questions. Esp. in the middle of the night. There is usually always someone on the forum 24/7.

Vicky (Queen O'Yarn archivist-QYA)
Go to Top of Page

PamS
Seriously Hooked

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2005 :  07:13:55 AM  Show Profile Send PamS a Private Message
I too agree. I have two intarsia (and one waiting in the wings) on the needles now and I know I'll need help.

--PamS
Women don't have hot flashes, they have power surges.
Go to Top of Page

Margie
Permanent Resident

USA
1032 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2005 :  10:37:26 AM  Show Profile Send Margie a Private Message
Yes, yes, and colorful yes. Pretty please?

I love color work. Next I plan to teach myself how to handle three colors at once (don't hold your breath, folks).

Margie

Pam, I love your signature line about power surges. I've got to tell that to a friend today at the library.
Go to Top of Page

galleylama
Seriously Hooked

753 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  08:36:43 AM  Show Profile Send galleylama a Private Message
Color work, yes, that would be a great idea. All the info in one place!

It is easier to be forgiven than to receive permission.
Go to Top of Page

kewsew
Warming Up

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  6:50:02 PM  Show Profile Send kewsew a Private Message
I'd certainly use it a lot!

I'm trying to teach myself intarsia and I admit to being afraid...very afraid

Karen W.

I meant what I said and I said what I meant. An elephant's faithful 100 percent! --Dr. S.
Go to Top of Page

knitswithcolors
Chatty Knitter

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  7:41:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitswithcolors's Homepage Send knitswithcolors a Private Message
Count me in!

http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=79419171209&page=1&sort_order=0
Go to Top of Page

knitloon
Gabber Extraordinaire

524 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2005 :  06:00:34 AM  Show Profile Send knitloon a Private Message
Absolutely, great idea!
Go to Top of Page

stephcat
Gabber Extraordinaire

510 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2005 :  11:13:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit stephcat's Homepage Send stephcat a Private Message
me too!

steph

http://sunsetcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.west-point.org/users/usma1989/46806/
http://aranknittingring.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Margie
Permanent Resident

USA
1032 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2005 :  9:34:04 PM  Show Profile Send Margie a Private Message
One more vote from someone who has socks she knit in the loudest colors possible.

Yes, color, yes Fair Isle. Great suggestion.

Margie

Go to Top of Page

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2005 :  10:10:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message
Me too! I want to learn how to do both. I know I have put color in some of my work, but I have no idea what technique I used or anything. I would love to have a set place to learn it all from people whose expertise I already trust.

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

We are but 8 score young blondes and brunettes... all between 16 and 19-and-a-half... cut off in this castle with no one to protect us! Oh... it is a lonely life. Bathing... dressing... undressing... knitting exciting underwear ....(Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Tale of Sir Galahad)
Go to Top of Page

gonzs
Chatty Knitter

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2005 :  04:33:24 AM  Show Profile Send gonzs a Private Message
Another vote here! I would soak up comments and suggestions in a colorwork forum section! What do you think, Clara?

Sue
Go to Top of Page

Moonbaby
Warming Up

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  09:46:44 AM  Show Profile Send Moonbaby a Private Message
Great idea! I am working on my first fair isle hat which I adapted from a pattern that my baby wore three years ago. I am wanting to use the same pattern on a bigger hat for the same child. I purchased the first hat, but I figure I can do it. However, I am sure to have problems and would love to have a dedicated subject line to go to for help or inspiration!
Go to Top of Page

iluvdeftones
Chatty Knitter

USA
116 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2005 :  6:32:19 PM  Show Profile Send iluvdeftones a Private Message
I was wondering what the difference is between Fair Isle and intarsia? They look the same to me.

"Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
-Lewis Carroll
Go to Top of Page

knitswithcolors
Chatty Knitter

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2005 :  8:55:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitswithcolors's Homepage Send knitswithcolors a Private Message
Well, technically, Fair Isle is stranded knitting in patterns that are traditionally from the Great Britain--the colorful X's and stripey patterns that we are familiar with.

Stranded knitting, which many people refer to as Fair Isle is when you carry your pattern all the way around your work.

Intarsia is a pattern or motif that sits amid a background of different color--an example would be a heart on a sweater or a logo on a hat.

Go to Top of Page

COgirl
Permanent Resident

USA
2176 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2005 :  10:21:52 PM  Show Profile Send COgirl a Private Message
I think a Fair Isle/Intarsia section would be marvelous.

I love Fair Isle, but have never tried Intarsia. That and Entrelac (sp???) are next on my list. The Knitting Help website made the Intarsia seem easy so I may try it on my own w/ something simple. I've been dying to make sweaters w/ college logos on them!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.78 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?