Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Spinning with Spindles
 Spindle or wheel?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Mike
Seriously Hooked

649 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2005 :  07:39:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike's Homepage Send Mike a Private Message
I took my wheel up to the spinning and weaving demo I was part of last night. I also had a few of my spindles with me. The first thing I did once the car was parked was to go into the agriculture tent, where we were to set up, to check everything out before I dragged all the stuff from the car.

I noticed while standing there waiting to see and tell Judith I had arrived that I was spinning my spindle. I know I grabbed it out of the bag as I left the car but it surprised me a bit that I was just standing there spinning already, even before I set up.

One young woman was watching me spin on the wheel and said some thing like ďThatís a lost artĒ, I smiled to myself thinking of the women that spent so many hours of each day spinning and how they would have responded to such a comment, Iím easily amused. At that point I grabbed my little Bosworth and showed her how it used to be done. She told me that the women in her country walk around all day spinning on the spindle and smiled, I guess fond memories of her home land.

This sparked a rather strange thought, the wheel is cool, it produces fibers really well and quickly and its kind of mesmerizing watching it go round and singles piling up on the bobbin but it is just a machine, itís doing the work, yeah I know operator skill is very important, but the spindle is ancient, its with me all the time, its simple and it works. I find the thing in my hands producing fibers without a thought; it just seems like a natural part of the world I walk through. Even though I just found another wheel and have made a bid on it its spindles that really sing to me.

We had all our stuff packed up for the night and I was sitting at my wheel saying our goodbyes, I was spinning on my spindle. Thatís art, maybe even music.

Mike

RiverRock
Chatty Knitter

USA
283 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2005 :  8:27:39 PM  Show Profile Send RiverRock a Private Message
How nice!
Go to Top of Page

flutebabe
Seriously Hooked

968 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2005 :  07:47:11 AM  Show Profile Send flutebabe a Private Message
So, Mike, are you saying I don't really need to get a spinning wheel? I'd love to have one, but after your great story, I'm not so sure I really need one.

Go to Top of Page

Mike
Seriously Hooked

649 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2005 :  08:02:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike's Homepage Send Mike a Private Message
Well need is a different story. I also love to knit and weave so while the spindle does satisfy me on many levels the wheel produces for me. My projects that are knitted with wheel spun yarn are primarily knitted items with a ďOh, and I spun the yarnĒ attached but now the sweater Iím knitting from the spindle is a clear cut spinning project. When asked about the sweater it will be ďI spun it on my drop spindleĒ that I knitted it will pale in comparison.

Iíll tell you how insane it is. I am still knitting the drop spindle sweater and I know that Iím going to frog the whole thing anyways. I started the project on needles way to small and just to the arm divide has used almost 3 pound of yarn. I need to rip it out and start again but until I decide exactly which pattern to use Iím still knitting it and spinning for it.

I may need help like a 12 step program :o)

Mike
Go to Top of Page

cclough8@msn.com

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  3:57:39 PM  Show Profile Send cclough8@msn.com a Private Message
I didn't really know where to put this so I'm sticking it in here. I just had to share my excitement! Long ages ago, I took spinning lessons from a lady in a nearby town. My goal was to spin on a wheel but she introduced us (a friend came too) to drop spindle spinning. I wasn't very good at it and wheel spinning was much quicker to learn, but I LOVED the spindles, so at a craft fair I bought a handmade Turkish spindle. I never even took it out of the bag. Now 25 or so years later, I took up knitting again and I found KR and have been strolling through these forums. I was inspired to try spindle spinning again.
I found a site that showed me how to get started on the Turkish spindle and I'm spinning yarn! I can't believe it. When I first tried to spindle I couldn't get anything. Now, I am actually getting something that resembles yarn. I'm so excited about it and so happy. I love spinning on a wheel, but the spindle seems so connecting, if you know what I mean. It's like eons of women, men too, are watching over my shoulder as I practice getting a good yarn. I'm also using this "new" skill to try to quit smoking. I read in an article in Spin-Off that the author placed a spindle in every room of her house and when she felt like having a cigarette, instead she grabbed her spindle and spun some yarn until the urge went away. So, instead of grabbing a smoke while I read through the forums, I'm going to grab my spindle and spin. (I've only had two cigarettes today!) If I can go for two weeks without a smoke, I'm going to treat myself to a Golding spindle. They are absolutely beautiful to look at and worth the investment even if I never learn how to top whorl spin!
Thanks for letting me share my big news. Cherie
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  4:32:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
Go for the GOLDING, Cherie! I'm rooting for ya!

-Wendy
Did you know God was a knitter?
"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb." Psalm 139:13

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/Momma78239/StripyFixationribbedsocks.jpg[/IMG]
Oh, no, I'm blogging now! Click to see it!
Go to Top of Page

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  5:22:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message
I took some time off from my spindle, though I was starting to get a feel for it, when I started making socks. I picked it up again only a week ago and it was amazing. I spun quickly and effortlessly. I plied my yarn. It was lovely. I dyed some of it. It came out quite a pretty color. I still want to try a wheel, because I am hopelessly addicted to fairy tales and I want to produce more sometimes, but I do love using a spindle. I even made one out of Sculpey recently. Just need to get fiber to test it with. I agree with it feeling really connecting. It is also fascinating to watch, I realized when I was spinning at the bowling alley one time and caught a couple mesmerized stares, and when I was spinning outside my apartment and a neighbor had to know what I was doing. It just plain feels good. Thank you Mike

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

When I can look Life in the eyes, / Grown calm and very coldly wise, / Life
will have given me the Truth, / And taken in exchange---my youth. -Sara
Teasdale, poet (1884-1933)

Go to Top of Page

Andy
Seriously Hooked

USA
774 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  6:03:40 PM  Show Profile Send Andy a Private Message
Me too! I think the romantic draw of the spindle is very compelling! And it especially seems a good solution for a quit smoking plan, you could hardly spin with a spindle at the same time...two hands are barely enough! Sometimes we have to throw in a foot or at least the thigh! Good going, Cherie! A healthy fix, I'm all for that, ah, yes, and a little chocolate to melt in the mouth while spindling...ahhh!
Go to Top of Page

TrueStar
Chatty Knitter

USA
199 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  7:15:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit TrueStar's Homepage Send TrueStar a Private Message
Thank you; that was a nice story. I just couldn't get the drop spindle when I tried it. I have my wheel now and I love it. I'm actually spinning yarn with it. Maybe I can try it with the drop spindle again and be more successful.

http://commuknits.typepad.com/
Jake: Your rap name would be 'Kid Mohair'
Go to Top of Page

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  10:58:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Andy

Me too! I think the romantic draw of the spindle is very compelling! And it especially seems a good solution for a quit smoking plan, you could hardly spin with a spindle at the same time...two hands are barely enough! Sometimes we have to throw in a foot or at least the thigh! Good going, Cherie! A healthy fix, I'm all for that, ah, yes, and a little chocolate to melt in the mouth while spindling...ahhh!

Oh good! I was worried about my technique when I was using my feet as well! (I hold the spindle still when I have a lot of yarn to wind on, so I can use both hands on the yarn and keep it from trying to ply itself)
I do use my thigh too. Once I got the thigh roll, I really began to spin! So cool!

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

When I can look Life in the eyes, / Grown calm and very coldly wise, / Life
will have given me the Truth, / And taken in exchange---my youth. -Sara
Teasdale, poet (1884-1933)

Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2005 :  04:56:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
I'll be rooting for you Cherie and hope those two weeks pass quickly because when you have a Golding spindle you will have a true gem.

I love taking my spindle with me even more than my knitting. In places where I have a tedious wait - doctor offices, airports, etc. - the spindle and wool fit so compactly. It is easier, too, to stop spindling than to stop in the middle of a row! It also draws a fascinated crowd, and I'll admit it - I'm enough of a ham that I enjoy the attention.

But like many of you, spindle spinning also both relaxes me and connects me in a way no other fiber craft has ever done before. I love my wheel. I will want more wheels as time goes by. I adore the knitted garments I've actually completed. But for sheer process pleasure, give me spindle spinning any time.

Bess
http://likethequeen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mike
Seriously Hooked

649 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2005 :  05:03:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike's Homepage Send Mike a Private Message
I've been so wrapped up in this lace shawl that my spindles are very lonely. I need to card up a bunch of rolags, I've spun all of them up. I had Carol Leigh send me 3 more pounds of white and dark grey roving for the sweater project. Today, though, I have 3 motorcycle seats to finish.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

cclough8@msn.com

Posted - 05/21/2005 :  09:58:50 AM  Show Profile Send cclough8@msn.com a Private Message
Brandy, me too--I'm hopelessly addicted to fairy tales also, even though with all this revisionist thinking they are female restrictive! And Sleeping Beauty couldn't have pricked her finger on a Saxony wheel--at least not on mine, it doesn't have a spindle. I think it might have been a walking wheel since the yarn spins off of a "spindle." Anyway, I'm enjoying spinning with my drop spindle in spite of still loving my wheel. Andy, I'm trying to keep the chocolate to minimum,too, as I always hear how people gain so much weight when they quit smoking. (Ick!) I sit while drop spindling and have found myself catching the spindle with my knees to keep it from going in the opposite direction and to steady it as I wind on the spun yarn, which, by the way, is pretty uneven and bumpity, lumpity. I teased the rolag with my fingers quite a bit before spinning it, but I think I'm going to card it so I get a better draw. Do you think that will work? I've read about the death grip here and last night as I was spinning I noticed it had found it's way into my fingers.
I've got to get the cigarettes into the garbage can by the end of June because I'm expecting my first granddaughter then and I want to set a good example. Thanks for all the encouragement. Cherie
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2005 :  09:06:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
Actually, the Sleeping Beauty story is so old that it pre-dates spinning wheels of any kind. It was a drop spindle that she pricked her finger on. Actually my thinking is that it must have been a small supported spindle with a pointed end.

-Wendy
"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb." Psalm 139:13

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/Momma78239/StripyFixationribbedsocks.jpg[/IMG]
Go to Top of Page

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2005 :  10:50:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Momma78239

Actually, the Sleeping Beauty story is so old that it pre-dates spinning wheels of any kind. It was a drop spindle that she pricked her finger on. Actually my thinking is that it must have been a small supported spindle with a pointed end.

-Wendy

I did not know that. It is certainly very interesting. Thank you for telling us. I like knowing things like that.

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

Seen on a church marquee: Blessed are the flexible, for they shall never be bent out of shape.
Go to Top of Page

cclough8@msn.com

Posted - 05/23/2005 :  08:34:48 AM  Show Profile Send cclough8@msn.com a Private Message
Wendy, I never thought about the drop spindle! That makes sense. And if Sleeping Beauty held the wool as tightly as I've been doing lately the spindle probably didn't have to be too sharp if she got her fingers anywhere near it! Thanks for the info. In fairy tale books they always picture Sleeping Beauty spinning on a Saxony type wheel--at least the books that I've seen. Disney has sort of preset our ideas, I guess. Cherie
Go to Top of Page

Andy
Seriously Hooked

USA
774 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2005 :  11:58:26 AM  Show Profile Send Andy a Private Message
I've been finding that I can make a more yarn, correctly twisted and consistent thickness, on the spindle. Maybe its the tension and speed of the wheel, but sometimes I'm even parking the spindle to get a spot fixed in the yarn that is a bit too thin or thick. So nothing icky gets left. Maybe after a few years I wouldn't need the difference but I can see the difference in my spun yarns.
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2005 :  12:07:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Well, I prefer my wheels to my spindles almost anyday... BUT - my spindles are great inspiration to me.

There are times when I'm feeling uninspired by just about everything I do, and usually in those times, if I pick up one of my two favorite spindles - my tiny rose or my large Golding - then after about 15 minutes of play with them, I'm frothing at the mouth to get behind the wheel and spin spin spin!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

Lanthir
Warming Up

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  08:29:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanthir's Homepage Send Lanthir a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by blwinteler
Oh good! I was worried about my technique when I was using my feet as well! (I hold the spindle still when I have a lot of yarn to wind on, so I can use both hands on the yarn and keep it from trying to ply itself)
I do use my thigh too. Once I got the thigh roll, I really began to spin! So cool!

Take care!
Brandy

I haven't really figured out the thigh roll yet, so I just keep the spindle going with my feet. Spinning with my spindle is like a sort of moving meditation for me. It makes it so easy to just relax and live in the moment for a while.
Of course, this doesn't mean I don't still want to get a wheel some day. (^_^)

"And we shall call it 'This Land'"
Firefly
Go to Top of Page

Andy
Seriously Hooked

USA
774 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  09:43:22 AM  Show Profile Send Andy a Private Message
Funny, the thigh roll seems simple to me, but I haven't been able to figure out how people spin it with their feet!
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  10:40:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
I'm in the opposite camp - HATE drop spindles! EVIL! BAD! Yet, I seem to be good at teaching others to do it - go figure. I guess it's cause I understand it, I just can't make my muscles do it right.

Lissa

"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." --Dennis Wholey

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.97 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.