Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Mission Falls Cotton
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hello Knitty
Permanent Resident

1069 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2002 :  4:04:21 PM  Show Profile Send Hello Knitty a Private Message
I got my shade card in the mail today! I must have something in #407 Aubergine! I'm thinking of ordering the Decade book and doing the Lola cap. I read Clara's review and it sounds good to me! Has anyone used it? How does it wear? I've never done cables so I thought this cap was small enough to try and finish for my first try. Then it's on to a throw in Aubergine!

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1559 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2002 :  4:15:31 PM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message
I'm really anxious to hear how this yarn is when you get it. It always looks so intriguing and I want to make something out of it. I Hope some other people have used it! (duh...I'm sure someone has!)

Shirley

Too much is not enough!
Go to Top of Page

mbmoody
Gabber Extraordinaire

583 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2002 :  5:55:34 PM  Show Profile Send mbmoody a Private Message
I made the Kandinsky Kimono from last spring's Interweave Knits, which involved a long relationship with Mission Falls cotton. I liked working with it. It seemed to knit quickly. I washed the sweater by hand, but put it in the spin cycle of the machine, and a lot of lint shook loose. There may be some pilling tendencies there. The colors were irresistible, although aubergine took some effort to track down in the spring. I will now be making many chemo caps with the leftovers.
Mary
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2002 :  6:55:04 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
Kitty, I am also working on the Kandisky Komono, with Mission Falss Cotton and love knitting with it. I have not finished my project yet, but I will get back to it this winter. I do love the feel of the yarn and it knits up beautifully.

Zola
Go to Top of Page

NancyW
Chatty Knitter

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2002 :  10:54:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit NancyW's Homepage Send NancyW a Private Message
I've made two things from the Wee Knits book with Mission Falls cotton: A sweater and a vest for my daughter. I'm currently making an adult sized sweater from the East+West book (the cow sweater which is on the cover) using cotton instead of the wool. The cotton has been very easy to work with, and machine washes/dries up well so far. I didn't notice a lot of lint, but my daughter's sweater isn't really all that big either.

It feels very very soft, and I've made one dishcloth with the leftovers so far - although I doubled the yarn for the dishcloth, and now it's tooo thick IMO for a dishcloth. I still use it anyway! Check out yarnforward.com for good prices on this yarn.

I think I'm going to make my next sweater out of Mission Falls 1824 wool, hoping it will be soft as well (and stretchier to work with!).

-Nancy

Go to Top of Page

NancyW
Chatty Knitter

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2002 :  11:10:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit NancyW's Homepage Send NancyW a Private Message
Forgot to ask - where'd you get your shade card? I'm interested in getting one so I can pick different colors for the sweater I want to make next. Thanks!

-Nancy

Go to Top of Page

Hello Knitty
Permanent Resident

1069 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2002 :  11:50:57 AM  Show Profile Send Hello Knitty a Private Message
My Mission Falls order arrived! The cotton feels lovely and the violet is so deep but not as deep as I thought it would be from the shade card -which btw, came from www.camillavalleyfarm.com. My order arrived quickly (within Canada)and I got it cheaper than buying locally because I saved myself a long drive and provincial sales tax. I'm attempting the Lola Cap from Decade as my first cable project ever!!

Go to Top of Page

BlueStocking
Sustaining Member

USA
945 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2002 :  2:14:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit BlueStocking's Homepage Send BlueStocking a Private Message
Hi! I knitted the lovely cable and lace vest pattern in the Mission Falls "Simple" pattern book, in a soft creme color. It was just wonderful to work with, so much so that I'm planning on the doing the long-sleeve version of the same pattern.

One note of caution on this yarn, however. When I first saw it, I wanted this soft fern-green color. My LYS didn't have enough, so the owner ordered some for me. It came in, and it was this awful lime-greenish color. Totally didn't match. So, he called the company, and was told that they regularly change the colors of the yarn, but leave the same number. So, what you order may not be what you get!

That is the only drawback I have to this yarn. Otherwise, I love it, and will knit with it alot (but only in colors that I can purchase enough of in the store!)

Jen

"Imagination mixed with vividness becomes reality."
Go to Top of Page

Hello Knitty
Permanent Resident

1069 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2002 :  11:13:36 AM  Show Profile Send Hello Knitty a Private Message
Thanks for the tip BlueStocking! That might explain why my balls of violet don't look as deep as the shade card sample. But it's still good and deep. I won't get started on my hat for a while. I have a sweater to finish and I need to have lots of free time to knit and think since I've never done cables before. I'm looking forward to a thinking project after cranking out no brainer scarves and hats for presents!

Go to Top of Page

megknits
Sustaining Member

USA
729 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2002 :  5:06:06 PM  Show Profile Send megknits a Private Message
I just finished a sweater for my son ("Starry Night" in the Maine Island Kids book) using this yarn. I liked the softness and the texture of the yarn, but I did run into one problem. The pattern has a few places where you are supposed to purl a few stitches for texture (the rest is all stockingette). I had a hard time getting the purl stitches to have an even tension. Some were very loose and others too tight. I think it happened because the yarn is cotton and is not as springy as wool; also the surface texture of the yarn makes it hard for the stitches to slide against each other and even themselves up. (I have also done knit and purl patterns using a smooth cabled cotton yarn and didn't have this problem.)

Eventually I decided to just use all knit stitches instead, and the sweater came out very well. But I wouldn't try this yarn with a pattern that required knit and purl textures. (Just my )

Meg

"Do not meddle into the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."
Go to Top of Page

Hello Knitty
Permanent Resident

1069 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2002 :  11:09:37 AM  Show Profile Send Hello Knitty a Private Message
That's an interesting comment Meg. The hat I'm going to do and then the throw are very textured projects! Full of purls, cables, and bobbles! Now I'm so curious maybe my sweater will languish even longer!

Go to Top of Page

Maxtish
Chatty Knitter

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2002 :  1:10:46 PM  Show Profile Send Maxtish a Private Message
I did a hooded pullover from Rowan Pipsqueaks which has a diamond pattern done with knits and purl stitches. I didn't have the problem with the tension on the purl stitches. I was worried that the pattern wouldn't show up because it is a textured yarn, but it looked fine (it was done in Lilac).

Go to Top of Page

BlueStocking
Sustaining Member

USA
945 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2002 :  3:59:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit BlueStocking's Homepage Send BlueStocking a Private Message
The vest that I knitted with this was all cables and lace, with knitting and purling both in the pattern. I didn't notice the purls being uneven, but it may be because they are so interspersed into the lacy pattern. It came out very well.

So, Hello Kitty, I'd say it's still worth it to give it a go ... maybe start with the hat to see what result you get? It's so nice knitted up ... I just love the vest I did and wear it all year long -- by itself in summer and over a turtleneck in winter. I've washed this vest dozens of times, and it's held up well in washer and dryer (which is nice ).

Jen

"Imagination mixed with vividness becomes reality."
Go to Top of Page

The Red Sweater
New Pal

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2002 :  5:46:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit The Red Sweater's Homepage Send The Red Sweater a Private Message
I've nearly finished a sweater with this buttery yarn - the stitch definition shows up well - take a look at my in progress pictures: http://www.theredsweater.com/wip.asp?id=Jamie&pr=0. It has a subtle sheen and there are beautiful colors in the line. The red in my picture is not nearly that strong. I love this yarn.

Jamie

http://www.theredsweater.com
Go to Top of Page

OKnitter
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2002 :  12:05:40 PM  Show Profile Send OKnitter a Private Message
Jamie,

Your sweater is LOVELY!!!!

Ana
Oklahoma City

Go to Top of Page

The Red Sweater
New Pal

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2003 :  12:41:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit The Red Sweater's Homepage Send The Red Sweater a Private Message
Thank you, Ana. I need to add, sadly, that this sweater got wet last week with cold water and the "Chile" color at the bottom bled all over the cream and won't come out (the green color didn't bleed at all). I've had it washed now with dye "trappers" or whatever they are called, and nothing has worked. It also hasn't stained any worse than the first time, so prewashing is important!

Any suggestions on how to save the sweater? I'm heartbroken.

Jamie
http://www.theredsweater.com
Go to Top of Page

marnita
Chatty Knitter

USA
348 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2003 :  1:05:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit marnita's Homepage Send marnita a Private Message
I have not used this yarn before but a friend of mine made the Moo Blanket in a Mission Falls Wee Pattern book. She had the same problem with bleeding. The black got all over the ivory. She tried to use Synthrapol, which is supposed to stop bleeding and it didn't work.

I guess this may be a brand of yarn that you need to wash before you mix colors. AAACCCKKK!!!!

http://marneysworld.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

happyneedles
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2003 :  4:15:27 PM  Show Profile Send happyneedles a Private Message
Hmmm, I used two shades of this yarn to make my daughter's sweater, the cardinal red and navy blue for a star and stripes on the sleeves. I haven't experienced any problems with bleeding, so perhaps it's just some of the colors.

Go to Top of Page

NancyW
Chatty Knitter

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2003 :  09:24:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit NancyW's Homepage Send NancyW a Private Message
After reading this thread, I was sort of panicked as I had made the Cow Pullover for a friend using Mission Falls cotton (ivory and black). I spoke with her the other day, she said she's washed her sweater and it had no problems. Whew! She used cold water to wash it and I suggested she keep doing so to avoid any problems.

-Nancy

Go to Top of Page

Hello Knitty
Permanent Resident

1069 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2003 :  11:01:44 AM  Show Profile Send Hello Knitty a Private Message
Well I finally got around to playing with the MF cotton. I taught myself bobbles using this link, http://www.pagebypage.com/bobbles.htm

Now I have to try cables! I asked at my LYS where I bought the MF if they'd heard of any problems with bleeding and they said "Never!!" if washed properly. Their suggestion for saving anything if it bleeds is to not let the garment dry after the bleeding and keep washing it in cold water until the area clears. Then you can dry the garment.

I'm really enjoying the feel of the MF. I started out on metal needles because I didn't have the right size in wood or bamboo and it's fine - no control problems. I'm going to switch to bamboo for learning the cables. I bought an extra ball to play with so I didn't waste my project yarn!

Go to Top of Page

BlueStocking
Sustaining Member

USA
945 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2003 :  11:24:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit BlueStocking's Homepage Send BlueStocking a Private Message
Hi Hello Knitty!

Hope you enjoy cables! I love them ... they are rather addictive. MF is so nice to work with, too.

Good Luck! Happy Knitting!

Jen

"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by