Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Never Again!
 Red Heart No-Dye Lot Acrylic!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Ruby Plaid
Seriously Hooked

USA
661 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2005 :  08:19:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ruby Plaid's Homepage Send Ruby Plaid a Private Message
let's all beat up on Red Heart! Kidding. Or am I?

I tried to make a scarf with Red heart a couple of years ago when I first learned to knit. Not only was it scratchy, it stuck to the bamboo needles so badly I literally couldn't knit with it. It just didn't budge.

I'll stick with Knit Picks for affordable, not to mention non-acrylic, yarns. [meow]

My groovy knitting blog is here: http://www.xanga.com/RubyPlaid

Visit my crafts website: http://www.geocities.com/hotelcrafty
Go to Top of Page

msgb
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
531 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  08:15:44 AM  Show Profile Send msgb a Private Message
My DH doesn't wear sweaters but one day a year (Christmas). He gets cold but refuses to wear one. He wants a sweater that has a v-neck so I am making one that is of Red Heard No Dye Lot for him. The pattern is from FCEK the Fall 2005 issue. Hey why should I invest a lot of money into an item he will wear for maybe 4 hours. I have made him about two others out of quality yarn. I have also made him a few afghans for him to use while watching tv. It gets cold here in the Chicago area during the winter. Those were made with good quality yarn as well. I just figure that he has seen the yarn and he likes it so why not. Not my favorite but for him I will do most anything.
Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  09:02:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message
I have a couple skeins of Red Heart. They've been sitting in the bottom of my basket, except when I need a practice yarn, for the better part of two years now. It's just so...rough. I made my first several scarves out of them, and family members who were unfortunate (okay, they really liked them, mostly because I made them) enough to get one said that they were very warm and useful for the wet Midwest winter. That said, the only acrylics I will use nowadays are Lion Brand blends and Caron's Simply Soft. I really love Wool-Ease for scarves now - warmer, nicer feel, and still machine washable and not too expensive for the yardage, and Simply Soft really is soft - I love it for baby blankets! And I also agree - for cheap, non-acrylics, go to KnitPicks or eBay. I just spent $16 at KnitPicks and got 8 skeins of 100% wool (WotA) and merino wool (Shadow). Granted, it's not the 300+ yards per skein that Red Heart and Caron have, but I think it's worth it.

God created man before woman because it is always necessary to make a rough draft before creating the masterpiece!
Backstage Stitches
Go to Top of Page

KysKnitnMom
Permanent Resident

1050 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  2:28:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit KysKnitnMom's Homepage Send KysKnitnMom a Private Message
I use Red Heart no dye lot to knit/crochet "snuggles" for the Hugs For Homeless Animals project ( http://www.h4ha.org/snuggles/ )and it works great! The "snuggles" get washed in hot water and dried on high sooo many times that anything else wouldn't hold up. I doubt I would use it for anything else though. But those shelter animals love it :)

Megann, in sunny San Diego.

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about....
Go to Top of Page

PatriciaG
Chatty Knitter

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  4:31:03 PM  Show Profile Send PatriciaG a Private Message
Megan,

What a great program - Snuggles. I went online and have been reading a lot about it. I'm going to start some. There are several organizations in my area that accept them. I think I may crochet mine. I can use double yarn and go much faster, I think than knitting. I will probably switch back and forth. Any input as to which might hold up more? I think a tight stitch with no holes so their paws and claws don't get caught. I've got some old Red Heart just pining for me to use and this is a great cause. Do you have any tips for me?

Patrica in West Sac., CA.

"How did I get over the hill without getting up to the top"
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  5:46:36 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I just bought a few more skeins of Red Heart. Unfortunately, my shopper picked up regular Red Heart instead of the Red Heart Soft I had asked for...............but..........guess what???????? It has changed. It is much softer than it used to be and this was black yarn. That used to be the stiffest one of all. You still won't pick it over the more expensive yarns, but it is different and it is better.

fran

http://www.geocities.com/martian_mischief/
Go to Top of Page

KysKnitnMom
Permanent Resident

1050 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2005 :  1:30:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit KysKnitnMom's Homepage Send KysKnitnMom a Private Message
Fran, I have noticed that some of the regular Red Heart certainly is softer than it used to be too. It was a nice surprise :) I haven't tried the black yet... I feel a trip to Walmart coming on.

Patricia... I'm so glad you are going to make some snuggles! I don't do anything fancy for my snuggles. I just double strand and do the entire blanket out of single crochet with a big hook. They end up very cushy and comfy for the animals. Since the cages have such hard floors it provides a little more comfort for them. Since I don't do anything fancy with the stitches I always use really fun variegated yarn. They go sooo fast. Oh yes, and as far as how they hold up... I am making the snuggles the way I made my son's first afghan that I have been washing and drying for literally a decade and it's still great! Have fun :)

Megann, in sunny San Diego.

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about....
Go to Top of Page

Boondoggled
Chatty Knitter

USA
305 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2005 :  08:10:45 AM  Show Profile Send Boondoggled a Private Message
Ok, after trying to make my daughter a number of things out of LYS type yarns only to have her reject them, I went out and got some of this yarn to make her a poncho. I got the Monet colorway, and I have to say, the way this yarn is dyed is EXCELLENT - the colors knit up so nicely. Yes, it is making my hands sweat while I knit. And, yes, it feels sort of creepy. And, yes, I think I am supporting the oil industry with this yarn.

But 2.17 a skein, and for this kind of dye job? I just cannot get over it. If my daughter will wear it, I'll knit it.
Go to Top of Page

NCmusiclady
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
541 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2005 :  11:07:19 AM  Show Profile Send NCmusiclady a Private Message
I'll tell you what - the kids really like the colors! I just finished a skinny scarf for one of my students - washed it, of course, before giving it to her - and it DID come out soft.

And she just loved it! We've had some warmth here, considering it's mid-November, but she still insists on wearing it on her way to school in the a.m.

I told her mom that the yarn is indestructable.
When the earth is gone all that will be found...will be tupperware and red heart yarns!
Go to Top of Page

klingklang77
Chatty Knitter

Australia
102 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2005 :  9:57:36 PM  Show Profile Send klingklang77 a Private Message
I learned on red heart, and that helped but I will not make something out of it. My skin cannot breathe in acrylic, and I like natural fabrics. I normally make socks, and acrylic isnt good for that. I just started making sweaters, but I think I will stick with natural fabrics. I do look for cheaper yarns and draw a line on spending too much, but it is my hobby and I enjoy using certain fabrics, so I dont mind spending a little bit extra.

Lisa
Go to Top of Page

collieknit
Warming Up

84 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  10:17:36 PM  Show Profile Send collieknit a Private Message
Acrylic is such funky stuff. Red heart has all the charm and efficentcy of an american motors gremlin. Any yarn that doesn't require a dye lot is suspicious.
Go to Top of Page

adalton124
Seriously Hooked

659 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2005 :  05:50:17 AM  Show Profile Send adalton124 a Private Message
LOL that it is a suspicious yarn b/c of no dye lot!

I have an afghan my mom crocheted for me out of this yarn. Frankly, it's not the softest stuff, but the stitches look great and with two dogs and a cat in the house I LOVE LOVE LOVE that I can wash and dry it as often as I want to w/out fear of felting or stretching or pilling or anything else happening to it in the wash.
I wouldn't wear a sweater made out of it, however. That brings back too many memories of the childhood vests my grandma used to force me to wear. The white one with the cherry buttons and red trim was the worst. ugh! (seriously, you had to see it to hate it like I did. I looked like a walking christmas doily wearing this thing)

Angela
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.62 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.