Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Never Again!
 Red Heart No-Dye Lot Acrylic!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

zehava
Chatty Knitter

Canada
335 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2005 :  08:57:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit zehava's Homepage Send zehava a Private Message
quote:
Its such a shame that you hate it so much you won't let a dog wear it but you have no problem giving it to homeless humans! Why don't they deserve the better stuff too? (Try Caron's Simply Soft or Softee Chunky, they are acrylic, wear well, and are very SOFT! Not to mention inexpensive.)

ditto that!

-z
Go to Top of Page

jen2500
New Pal

20 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  09:48:58 AM  Show Profile Send jen2500 a Private Message
Hello everyone,
Well I have to admit I'm a yarn sob, and normally wouldn't touch acrylic. However, I did use Red Heart to knit my daughter a sweater. I am happy with it because the sweather's colors are still bright and I've thrown it in the washer & dryer with everything else many times, and it keeps on going. And, the best thing, is that it actually stands up by itself. I don't even have to hang it up! I think you're right, it probably is bulletproof.
Go to Top of Page

axngurl808
New Pal

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  11:16:20 AM  Show Profile Send axngurl808 a Private Message
my great grandmother made a few afghans with this yarn and years later it still looks the same. of course most of it has pilled a lot but thats only from constant use and age so i guess its understandable. anyways i like working with this yarn. its really not all that bad. most knitters are spoiled since they use stuff with wool and angora. as a crocheter i find that i use mostly acrylic or nylon yarns.

Go to Top of Page

kitkatknit
Chatty Knitter

184 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2005 :  11:14:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit kitkatknit's Homepage Send kitkatknit a Private Message
Anyone else old enough to remember when Red Hart Yarn meant it was 100% wool? We're only talking 35 years ago or so. Ah, the good old days....

http://spaces.msn.com/members/joyofspin/

It's easy to rule the world if you don't tell anybody else you're doing it.
Go to Top of Page

mamid
Permanent Resident

Canada
1568 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2005 :  11:44:57 PM  Show Profile  Send mamid a Yahoo! Message Send mamid a Private Message
the homeless do deserve something soft just like we do. But think about where and how they are living. They need something durable, not soft. Durable can last years. Soft may fall apart within a month or less. Durable doesn't need special care. Soft? oi vey.

Many of the homeless are lucky if they can bathe or shower more than once a month. And washing their sheets or afghans is not a priority for them. The stronger and more durable the items are, the better. And the more hypoallergenic too.

Craftiness is Sanity
Trailer - Trash to Treasure?
"Knitting is indeed manly. After all you spend a long time poking a rigid object through a flexible opening!" - Mokey
Go to Top of Page

jennaknits
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  1:32:55 PM  Show Profile Send jennaknits a Private Message
I made my first project with the Red Heart no dye lot stuff, since that was mostly what they had at Wal*Mart when my grandma took me to get my first knitting supplies. It was fine for a first project, but didn't make the softest scarf (the heaviest, though...). I swore off it for a time, but I started using the Light and Lofty and the Bright and Lofty to make a blanket. I'm actually working on it between posts and my boyfriend is currently napping under what's been assembled thus far. It's wonderfully soft and warm.
Go to Top of Page

collieknit
Warming Up

84 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2005 :  07:54:49 AM  Show Profile Send collieknit a Private Message
I have a huge stash of red heart and bernat acrylic in a bag in the attic. Personally, I'm always amazed at the way acrylic yarns tend to exonerate themselves. Hypoallergenic, mothproof, wachine washable and dryable, true somewhat. You wil never hear of its other "advantages" such as freezing cold when wet, unbreathable, humid against your skin,and made from a non renewable resource. If one day I meet that mysterious and illusive fiber bearing critter, the illusive acryl, I might open up my acrylic stash, but I haven't seen it yet.
Go to Top of Page

plath
Gabber Extraordinaire

460 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2005 :  1:07:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit plath's Homepage Send plath a Private Message
Red heart acrylic is what made my dh start twitching when I told him I wanted to learn how to knit. His grandma used to knit him really ugly,useless things when he was a kid out of it. Needless to say, I don't use it, and he has definitely "come around" to me being a knitter!

http://www.plath.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

bevq
New Pal

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2005 :  08:28:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit bevq's Homepage Send bevq a Private Message
Ok- call me weird, but I like Red Hearts No dye lot yarns. :) I make really warm kids mitts out of it, and hats, and afghans and they wash up nice and soft and they last forever!

I have some mitts I made for my son who is 24 now, and they are still good as almost new! No complaints here. The afghans that yarn makes up are so warm and cosy too.

I do have to say my FAVE yarn is SIMPLY SOFT though. ;)

HUGS!
Bev

Knitting mom-2-5!
http://www.bevscountrycottage.com
Go to Top of Page

knittingbaglady
Permanent Resident

USA
1207 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2005 :  6:15:03 PM  Show Profile Send knittingbaglady a Private Message
Ok ok...I'll spill it. I've used Red Heart in the past for kids blankets (when they were little) and they've been great. I think Red Heart Soft is pretty nice.
But I'll never use Lion Brand Homespun again. It gathered up as I knit it, and when I tried to ease it back, it broke...bad flow through the needles, and too plasticky for my taste.

I have to add that I love those short red Heart needles they have out now. Probably for kids? But a great length to have on hand...fun colors too!

Martha.

http://www.greenmountainknittingbags.com/
Go to Top of Page

somervil@yahoo.com
New Pal

24 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2005 :  11:39:56 AM  Show Profile Send somervil@yahoo.com a Private Message
As an ignorant first timer, I bought a skein of this stuff to teach myself to knit and crochet. I made a scarf out of it and bought another to make a hat. Needless to say it's gone unused now that I know there are better yarns out there. But it was cheap and sturdy to learn with.

Sadly my mother didn't know better - she bought a ton of it along with a sample afghan pattern book for me and my sister to knit for her. I have four more panels to go and then I'm staying away from it if I can help it.
Go to Top of Page

JayhawkKnitter
Seriously Hooked

USA
910 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2005 :  12:07:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit JayhawkKnitter's Homepage Send JayhawkKnitter a Private Message
The way everyone is describing the acrylics has me laughing.

Almost like all that's going to be left after the apocalypse is cockroachers, disposable diapers, and acrylic yarn.

Check out my blog!

http://www.knittinhoney.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

frogsrock
New Pal

11 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  12:47:40 PM  Show Profile Send frogsrock a Private Message
i like red heart because it comes in a zillion colors
if the feel bothers you wash it before useing it, it gets tons softer

my baby blanket that my grandmom made for me was a diffrent brand of cheap acrylic and its all pilled and yucky but blankets tons older than it with more abuse made from red heart look a lot better, almost no pilling or anything

although i do admit the no dye lot bit is a lie
Go to Top of Page

highdesertrose
Gabber Extraordinaire

Malta
544 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2005 :  10:19:16 AM  Show Profile Send highdesertrose a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by JayhawkKnitter

The way everyone is describing the acrylics has me laughing.

Almost like all that's going to be left after the apocalypse is cockroachers, disposable diapers, and acrylic yarn.

LOL[:00]

~~justine~~
Go to Top of Page

Cecioboe
Seriously Hooked

USA
824 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2005 :  8:06:19 PM  Show Profile Send Cecioboe a Private Message
I just tried Read Heart TLC Lustre and TLC Heathers. What a horrid, stiff, icky feeling yarn!! I returned them to the store and vowed never again. Too bad; the colors are great.

But Caron Smply Soft is wonderful for a nice inexpensive all purpose yarn. Nice for scarves. Love this one - it machine washes great.

Ceci
Go to Top of Page

Smock7
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
491 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2005 :  12:57:13 PM  Show Profile Send Smock7 a Private Message
Well, I agree with many of you about cheap yarns. It would be nice to be able to walk into a yarn store and pick out any yarn you like regardless of price, but, that is not reality for many of us. I love a soft, buttery feeling meriono wool yarn, but I can't afford it that often. I use Red Heart on my niece's sweaters because her mother throws everything in the washer and dryer. It always washes up well and the stiffer feel of the fibers does not seem to bother her. Right now I'm working on a sweater out of Lion Brand yarn. It's cheap/affordable which to me is better than not knitting at all. I splurge when possible on more luxurious yarns, especially sock yarn, but for many sweaters, I must stay in the lower range to be able to afford the yarn. Choices: knit 6 sweaters in a year in cheaper yarn or one sweater in expensive yarn? 6 sweaters wins hands down for me. I have a sweater made from egypian cotton, Takki Cotton (sp?) and it pills up something awful, so price is not always a factor in good yarn. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Takki cotton yarn because I love cotton yarn and clothing but I would never consider making a Takki Cotton sweater for my niece or two of my sisters! I made a sweater for my niece out of Dale baby yarn and it wore extremely well but it was expensive. So, I believe that knitting should include all choices available without someone making a judgement call on the quality/price of yarn used for the project. I'm even thinking about knitting a purse from my old cotton fabric I have stashed. I noticed it's coming back into popularity and it would be a way to help de-stash the fabric!

Vanessa VanTrease

Take time to stop and smell the roses and enjoy life!
Go to Top of Page

Spins
New Pal

21 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  2:24:29 PM  Show Profile Send Spins a Private Message
Frogsrock

Thanks so much for the suggestion about washing this stuff before using it. I tried it and it much less harsh on the hands.
Go to Top of Page

Momo
Seriously Hooked

635 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2005 :  7:52:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Momo's Homepage Send Momo a Private Message
My grandmother was a fabulously skilled knitter. Her stockinette was perfect. She always knit a sweather, hat and matching mittens for myself and my siblings every year. And they were always out of RH acrylic. I adored my brightly colored, custom made sweaters as a child. I still have a lot of them, too. She also knit each one of us an afghan before she passed on. I'm glad she knit it from something that will last for years and years keeping her with me.

Cheers,

Charc

http://kungfuknitting.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sarahsthreads
Chatty Knitter

USA
178 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2005 :  8:27:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit sarahsthreads's Homepage Send sarahsthreads a Private Message
My great-grandmother crocheted a baby blanket for me out of variegated Red Heart - lavender, green, yellow and white - 30 years ago. This particular great-grandmother was my absolute favorite person when I was a little girl, and she died when I was 13. The blanket has been washed countless times, and although the stitches have become a little fuzzy, it's soft and lovely still.

When I was setting up my daughter's nursery, I draped it over the back of the rocker because the colors fit so well in the room. Carrie, at 10 months, will not go to sleep without it now. I love to look at her sleeping snugly under this blanket that her great-great-grandmother made, and I can let my baby use this blanket that means so much to me and not have to worry that it will wear out.

So I for one am glad that Red Heart exists, and that my great-grandmother used it! (That being said, it's not really on my list of favorite yarns to actually knit with, although I do have a smallish stash of it from my college years when I couldn't afford wools and cottons.)

Sarah :)

http://sarahsthreads.com/journal/
Go to Top of Page

beh2g
Chatty Knitter

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  12:52:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit beh2g's Homepage Send beh2g a Private Message
I am confused by the comment about knitting hats out of Red Heart for the homeless. WHy would you bother knitting a hat or mittens that will not keep you warm? If you live in Florida, it's less of a concern, but an acrylic hat in Chicago would be pretty much useless. I think it's great that you knit these things for people and let them know there are those out there that care for them, but maybe try Knitpicks Wool of the Andes or Merino style. It is still really cheap, but the wool content will mean your knitting time isn't wasted making something that isn't even warm.

I have knitted a few things out of acrylic in my time. I'm not a fan, but like everyone else has said, baby items or kid items that will see rough use really need the strength of Red Heart. In tight times like now I order from ebay or knitpicks to get good quality yarn at a low price tho.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?