Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Poll Feedback
 Explain your answers!
 choosing a gauge
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2005 :  8:01:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message
The poll on your favourite gauge it would be interesting to see if there is any correlation with the nationality of the knitter.

In australia the vast majority of patterns are 8ply (DK). I have notices a lot of chunky knits from the US and my English books are about 50/50 4ply and DK.

Do we favour what we have always doene - it feels right or do we look for something different and enjoy it?

My favourite is 8ply - after 30 years the 4mm needles feel right in my hands and therefore I knit faster. Also the climate doesn't really warrant very chunky garments.

For the record my current wips are on 2.75mm, 4mm, 4.5mm, 5mm, 5.5mm and 15mm so I do use a variety.

Wen

2005 stats: 4 FO, 8 WIP, 0 frogpond.
http://photos.yahoo.com/whdayus

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2005 :  8:10:36 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
For a garment I do prefer DK/sport weight, although most of my handknittted sweaters are done in Lopi(chunky)as they knit up faster.

"I firmly believe the Bible is the misinterpreted word of God." Mokey

www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

sarakate
Seriously Hooked

USA
818 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2005 :  2:05:42 PM  Show Profile Send sarakate a Private Message
I don't really care for using anything bigger than worsted weight, and that only for larger garments where the finer weights would take ages. Most of what I knit is little things -- hats, socks, gloves, etc. -- and they're mostly fingering/sock weight yarns. If anything, I'm on a progression to smaller needles. Every once in a while I'll do a scarf on big needles, but that's generally because that's the recipient's taste, not mine. Lest I start a flame war, I am *not* condemning chunky yarns or big needles -- that's just not my taste, not something I'm interested in knitting with/on or having the finished product.
Go to Top of Page

RoseM
Permanent Resident

Canada
1898 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2005 :  3:53:50 PM  Show Profile Send RoseM a Private Message
Worsted, or heavy worsted is my fav. Chunky is fine too once in awhile for quicker gratification. Thought I'd like bulky knitting . . . it goes quickly, but the garments just don't seem as flattering.
RoseM
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2005 :  3:55:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
I rarely use anything larger than worsted, and knit most happily on a size 2 needle. I just discovered the other day that the socks I was knitting with glee (after having grabbed needles without checking their size) were on 000 and they're fine. I seem to like tiny needles!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2005 :  9:15:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message
I just like to use a variety of yarns and needles sizes. Using bulky or extra bulky on sz US15 or larger tires my hands so I keep another project going to switch to, also using smaller than sz 8 gets "fidgety" after a while but I do like using the lighter weight yarns from time to time. I'm the odd ball who simply doesn't have a favorite yarn/needle/gauge but like to change from one to another.
Go to Top of Page

sallyjo
Permanent Resident

USA
2401 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2005 :  04:11:01 AM  Show Profile Send sallyjo a Private Message
I just used #1's for the first time, and fell in love@ My current project is on #15's, and I hate them! Never again!

"as if God had shrugged his shoulders (and) presently our civilization will once again belong to the misshapen, the moonstruck, and the damned" Woolcott Gibbs
Go to Top of Page

edelsma
Permanent Resident

Canada
1182 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2005 :  07:35:21 AM  Show Profile Send edelsma a Private Message
My experience is that after finishing one project if I use another size needles, it takes me a while to get use to them especially one the "new" needles are 2 sizes up/down.
Though I am not particularly fond of projects using small size needles simply because it feels like no matter how long I have worked on it, the project is no where near finish line.

Margaret in Waterloo, Ontario
~~~
When you meet someone better than yourself, turn your thoughts to becoming his equal. When you meet someone not as good as you are, look within and examine your own self.... Confucius~~~

http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/edelsma/my_photos
Go to Top of Page

ChristinaP
Permanent Resident

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2005 :  08:17:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit ChristinaP's Homepage Send ChristinaP a Private Message
All of our polls are with the assumption "all other things being equal". I like to knit sweaters on worsted, and socks out of fingering. I currently have a beaded scarf I'm working on size 11s. I think I knit faster on little needles (1s and 0s), but then again you need more stitches there.

In Maryland
Blog: http://christinasknitting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

RachelKnitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2995 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2005 :  08:50:48 AM  Show Profile Send RachelKnitter a Private Message
I prefer DK weight or smaller. It's more comfortable in my hands, it looks more flattering on me, I tend to like the yarns better, and I hate, absolutely hate knitting with big needles. Yeah, it's faster, but on the other hand, it better be, because it's just no fun at all! Anything over a size 8 US is just uncomfortable, and I usually use 5 and smaller.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep; his cupidity may at some point be satiated: but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe