Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Socks
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Emelia Lesser
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2005 :  12:07:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Emelia Lesser's Homepage Send Emelia Lesser a Private Message
I've always been a little suspicious of hand-knitting socks...It seems like all my store bought socks get grody pretty fast. I'd hate to put a whole lot of effort into knitting something for someone that will only get sweaty and pounded upon all day. Do hand knit socks hold up better in general? How would you all classify the difficulty level (do they knit up quickly like hats and such but with a few fun challenges or are they on par with afghans and raglan sweaters?)

~Em
"Art is the reason I get up in the morning but my definition ends there and it just doesn't seem fair that I'm living for something I can't even define...but there he is in the mean time," ~Ani DiFranco

sallyjo
Permanent Resident

USA
2401 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2005 :  2:09:13 PM  Show Profile Send sallyjo a Private Message
It depends on the shoes. If you've got shoes that eat socks, they'll eat your hand made socks just the same. Aside from that, mine are holding up better than store socks, and they're more comfortable. And I have bragging rights.

"as if God had shrugged his shoulders (and) presently our civilization will once again belong to the misshapen, the moonstruck, and the damned" Woolcott Gibbs
Go to Top of Page

cpknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2005 :  2:12:24 PM  Show Profile Send cpknits a Private Message
Hi. I was first introduced to sock knittiny by sock-a-holics. I tried it for two reasons. 1. I wanted to learn how to use double-points (to possibly avoid having to sew up sleeves) and 2. They really made it sound fun. Once you get the hang of the double points (I sometimes cheat with the fine yarns and knit two rows prior to joining)they are not difficult. I have found socks to be a lot of fun for several reasons. They can be as colorful, or plain, as you want. They do not take long (DH's size 14s are a little more work). Socks are very portable. I usually take socks on vacation or work on them during my commute to work or at lunch. Handmade socks also feel wonderful. It is also a way for me to make something for DH that does not take too long. I have made him several sweaters, but, at 6'6" it takes some time. He is also very appreciative and wears them frequently. If you do try socks, try knitting both at the same time. I bought two sets of double points and made them concurrently. That way I had two socks when done. Some people I know have a lot of single socks.
Go to Top of Page

GoodnightGirl
New Pal

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2005 :  4:49:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit GoodnightGirl's Homepage Send GoodnightGirl a Private Message
Honestly, my store-bought socks are fine... and I guess I don't wear on them too harshly. But my hand-knit socks are Luxury! It is so corny, but seriously, it is kind of fun to put a bit of luxury on my feet every day. Especially in the dead of winter, to slip on a pair of hand-knit cherry tree hill supersock merino socks is like heaters for my feet. I never thought I'd get so addicted to knitting socks, but once you start... it is hard to stop! :)

- Liz

my blog... www.goodnightweb.com
Go to Top of Page

Emelia Lesser
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2005 :  7:38:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Emelia Lesser's Homepage Send Emelia Lesser a Private Message
wow, all I need is another craft addiction, but I must say I'm really tempted to try socks...

~Em
"Art is the reason I get up in the morning but my definition ends there and it just doesn't seem fair that I'm living for something I can't even define...but there he is in the mean time," ~Ani DiFranco
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4387 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2005 :  05:38:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
There is almost nothing that beats having Happy Feet on a cold winter day, and knowing that your toes are wiggling around in the luxury of brightly-colored Koigu or Cherry Tree Hill or Lorna's Laces, and that you made them yourself. A close second would be knowing that the socks you made for your two favorite 10 year olds are as beloved to them as you are.

Jane
jcc28

"Books are where things are explained to you, life is where things aren't and I'm not surprised that some people prefer books." Julian Barnes

My album: http://mysite.verizon.net/vzenu0u9/
Go to Top of Page

jaw
Seriously Hooked

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2005 :  08:21:31 AM  Show Profile Send jaw a Private Message
I took a sock class yesterday. We made a small sock that could be worn by a child or used as an ornament. I'm hooked already. I finished mine and immediately purchased yarn to make myself a pair. The only problem is my pair is on size 1's and it will take me a lot longer to get them done. It would seem to me that these make a lot better summer knitting than the afghans I normally do and if I can keep on track I should have several pairs of socks for next winter.
Go to Top of Page

KysKnitnMom
Permanent Resident

1050 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2005 :  08:46:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit KysKnitnMom's Homepage Send KysKnitnMom a Private Message
I am a complete sock addict...there's nothing like them :) My handknit ones hold up great. I am a fan of Cherry Tree Hill. When using that yarn I reinforce the heels and toes. Just be prepared to become sock obsessed once you get your first pair done :)

Megann, in sunny San Diego.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kysknitnmom/my_photos

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about....
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2005 :  09:14:20 AM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message
I've knit for over four decades but have just started knitting socks. Wow, it truly is addictive!

I agree that they are such a luxury, they feel so good and I love the fact I made them.

If Dee/Licensed2Cook and Moxie hadn't been kind enough to send me sock yarn, I might not have been pulled into this addiction so I have them to thank!

M L
Go to Top of Page

clover
Chatty Knitter

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2005 :  12:18:33 PM  Show Profile Send clover a Private Message
I love making socks but find it hard to justify the cost. Isn't that funny? I love Koigu yarn and it's $20 to make a pair. My costco sold wonderful wool/cotton/lycra socks, 4 pairs for like 13 bucks at the beginning of winter. Hard to beat that.

I find that the superwash sock yarn with the nylon in it isn't much fun to knit with and isn't very warm. Pure wool isn't that strong. Koigu is holding up well and it has no nylon. I haven't tried the old fashioned method of reinforcing toes and heels yet but i suspect that's the way to go... I haven't tried Cherry Tree Hill yarn yet but after reading the above, I will. I love Koigu even tho I am not a big fan of varigated yarn (it's great for socks, but not clothes). I understand the company makes plain colored yarn too and I almost regret that I didn't put my 100 dollars worth of Koigu socks towards a sweater in the plain yarn instead! It's terrible to be so cheap... lol!

Still looking for the perfect wool yarn to make thick wool socks out of. I inherited some handmade wools socks when my great uncle died and they were heavenly. very warm and comfortable and thick. haven't been able to replicate them yet but it's fun trying!
Go to Top of Page

Momo
Seriously Hooked

635 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2005 :  1:32:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Momo's Homepage Send Momo a Private Message
Hi! I've knit a bunch of socks and the main reasons I see for knitting socks are that 1) they are the most comfortable socks you will ever wear :period: a real treat for the feet and 2) you can make them exactly how you want them to look. It's so fun.

Many socks are knit on tiny needles but there are plenty of patterns out there with a larger gauge. In fact, I found a pattern on the Lion Brand site for size 13 DPN's the other day. I guess what I am trying to say is that you can try sock knitting without having to invest a lot of time on the project to see if it is indeed worth it. :)

As for how they hold up: I have never got a hole in the toe which I suppose is the classic place, but have gotten holes before. I just darn them and I am good to go.

Cheers,

Charc
Go to Top of Page

Emelia Lesser
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2005 :  3:38:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Emelia Lesser's Homepage Send Emelia Lesser a Private Message
I'm trying to fit knitting in on my college-student budget and it sounds like special yarn is needed to knit a decent pair of socks. What yarns might I find at say, Joann fabrics, that would work? Would Lion Brand Cotton ease work well?

~Em
Go to Top of Page

sarakate
Seriously Hooked

USA
818 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2005 :  4:07:34 PM  Show Profile Send sarakate a Private Message
Lion Brand makes a self-striping sock yarn, called "Magic Stripes", and it's decent. It's a bit splitty, and not as nice in the hand as some of the specialized sock yarns, but it's okay, and it's nicer washed up than it is while you're knitting it. And the self-striping is fun -- it makes the socks feel like they're going really fast because the colors change every two rows or so. It's a good place to start if you're mostly confined to craft-store yarn.
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2005 :  4:16:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
I like paton kroy
trekking xxl
lane cervina
and fortisomo ( can't spell that one)
now the trekking is 100 g and one ball usually makes a pair, so if you get it between 10-12 a ball....that is pretty cheap.
the others you will need about one ball per sock (normally)

YMMV
I don't like the colors of the magic stripe, but then I like a really hot bright color combination
vi

none of this will matter in 100 years.......except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

graciebell
Gabber Extraordinaire

377 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2005 :  5:09:39 PM  Show Profile Send graciebell a Private Message
Emelia (I'm a grad student, so I feel your pain), but check out the Knit Picks sock yarn. I haven't tried any of it yet, but it is pretty inexpensive in comparison to some others. I have tried Bernat's sock yarn, and I liked it ok, but I should have used size 1 needles instead of 2 because they definately turned out pretty big.

My knitting blog!
Go to Top of Page

englishtch
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
400 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2005 :  5:13:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit englishtch's Homepage Send englishtch a Private Message
Elann has both superwash wool and cotton sock yarn that is relatively inexpensive - around $3.50. I have really liked the wool and am knitting with the cotton right now, but I think it will be nice also. I have made a pair with the KnitPicks superwash also, and my daughter loved them.

Also KnitPicks has some Regia on sale right now.
Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2005 :  5:27:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message
Em, I haven't tried LB cotton ease for socks yet but I've used their wool ease (worsted on sz US4 and sport on sz US2) and like them ok though they tend to fuzz a bit on the upteenth machine laundering and need to be shaved.

englishtch, I looked at the KnitPicks superwash online but the colors looked so horrible! are they better "in real life" on am I too stodgy?
Go to Top of Page

Parrot Girl
Permanent Resident

2129 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  11:09:21 AM  Show Profile Send Parrot Girl a Private Message
Sock knitting is definitely addictive, for several reasons. One is that for a fairly reasonable cost you have something handknit that you're proud of. They are faster than some huge project. They're sooo warm and comfy in the winter. And they're just darned fun to knit! Yes, they cost more than store-bought socks, but cost isn't really the concern in hand knitting, is it? Any mine are holding up really well. I generally try to reinforce the heel, which makes them stronger.

They're really not hard; I taught myself (it took a couple of tries). There are so many sock knitters here you're always a post away from an answer.

"The past does not equal the future"

The other Fran in Kansas City
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  11:42:27 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
You can get DGB Confetti on ebay for cheap and it looks exactly like many of the Regia patterns.

"I firmly believe the Bible is the misinterpreted word of God." Mokey

www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

carpe diem
Permanent Resident

1158 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  3:59:37 PM  Show Profile Send carpe diem a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by clover
Still looking for the perfect wool yarn to make thick wool socks out of. I inherited some handmade wools socks when my great uncle died and they were heavenly. very warm and comfortable and thick. haven't been able to replicate them yet but it's fun trying!

I doubt it'll be like your your great uncle's socks, but my favorite worsted weight yarn for socks is Stahl Big Sock (ragg wool type) and also Big, Big Print, Big Mexico. I knit mine at 6 stitches/inch and they're cushy soft and get softer & softer with each wash. My oldest pair is only a year old that I've worn really hard because they were my first pair and holding up great!

~ Lisa, Seattle
Go to Top of Page

HomeJewel
Chatty Knitter

321 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  4:02:54 PM  Show Profile Send HomeJewel a Private Message
I couldn't find a superwash wool at Knitpicks. What is it called? Maybe I missed it.

http://homejewel.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.