Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting Celebs, Articles, Jokes, etc.
 Nice Poncho, Martha!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

JaniceV
Chatty Knitter

USA
338 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  6:31:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit JaniceV's Homepage  Send JaniceV a Yahoo! Message Send JaniceV a Private Message
Poncho even...... I am firing the typist in the morning.

Janice
Go to Top of Page

storiesr
Sustaining Member

694 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  7:48:17 PM  Show Profile Send storiesr a Private Message

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20050305/s/r3867693208.jpg

I agree ML!!

Laura

We may not be able to control the wind, but we can direct our sails!
Go to Top of Page

hotmamagrace
Warming Up

USA
72 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  8:14:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit hotmamagrace's Homepage Send hotmamagrace a Private Message
this is all too funny! the woman gets out of prison and already her martha-powers are compelling us to be crafty ala martha! :-) i can even hear her voice and see her face as she talks about crochetting her poncho...she's in her living room crochetting by the fireplace and she's describing the many different types of natural and synthetic fibers available...and here's her good friend mr/mrs knowitallaboutyarn to share his/her expertise w/ us! and here are the sheep that gave the wool...in her expansive backyard/grazing meadow...can't wait to see taht episode!

http://lafemmeknit-kita.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

amaknda
Chatty Knitter

159 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  8:54:04 PM  Show Profile Send amaknda a Private Message
On the View this morning, the pregnant republican said something about no one telling Martha that the poncho was 'out'. She was surprised that Martha would make such an unfashionable exit from prison, I guess.
Go to Top of Page

Suzann
Seriously Hooked

USA
869 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  9:17:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Suzann's Homepage Send Suzann a Private Message
Yes, Women's Wear Daily, the newspaper of the fashion industry said a few weeks ago..Ponchos are Passe. Long slinky sweaters, short boxy sweaters and interesting scarves are the newer look for spring. That being said, the poncho looked great on Martha as did the scarf.
Goooooooooooooo Martha and welcome home

Making cables is like making love. There is a lot of foreplay before you get to the deed
http://www15.brinkster.com/lyricalarmy/lace/lace.htm
Go to Top of Page

wildhorsefarmer
Permanent Resident

USA
1022 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2005 :  06:04:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit wildhorsefarmer's Homepage Send wildhorsefarmer a Private Message
Hi All,
I couldn't help but notice Martha is that poncho. I thought she looked great!
On Larry King last night,one of the people on the show mentioned that a fellow inmate had made the poncho(although he called it a CAPE-ha!) for her.
Did anyone else notice her hair? I thought the color and cut looked better than before prison. How did she manage that?
Lisa

Sock designs-http://www.wildhorsefarmdesigns.com
Knitting photos-http://www.picturetrail.com/wildhorsefarmer

Go to Top of Page

InMySpareTime
Chatty Knitter

141 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2005 :  07:42:13 AM  Show Profile Send InMySpareTime a Private Message
I noticed the cut and color, too, and wondered... "who does her hair?"
Go to Top of Page

Bookworm
Chatty Knitter

USA
265 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2005 :  4:15:08 PM  Show Profile Send Bookworm a Private Message
Some of the women's prisons have cosmetology departments, and depending on the rules, staff may even have their hair done there.
Hazel
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2005 :  4:50:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
Frederic Fekkai does her hair. He flew down to the prison a week or so ago. Girls, I'm disappointed in you!! How'd you miss that one, LOL???

GFTC of NYC
Go to Top of Page

Mamazu
New Pal

11 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2005 :  5:45:33 PM  Show Profile Send Mamazu a Private Message
I just knew this would be the place to see how many knitters noticed Martha's Poncho. I'd love the pattern as well. I especially liked the scalloped edging.

Did any of you know you can e-mail Martha on her website: www.marthatalks.com? I did and suggested she share the pattern in a future issue of her Magazine. Maybe a e-mail campaign will get some results!!

Maybe she could help her friends in prison publish the pattern!

Just a thought.

Go to Top of Page

kokothecute@yahoo.com

Posted - 03/06/2005 :  10:21:29 AM  Show Profile Send kokothecute@yahoo.com a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Bean

I KNEW you guys would already be discussing the poncho. I love it! Crochet though, huh? Oh well.

Donna

Hi!

I just learned to crochet in July using Coats "Crochet Made Easy" CD-ROM - about $8 at your local crafts store. No affiliation, but I used the same method to learn to knit last April!

I tried learning years ago, but the CD-ROMs allowed me to repeat the same step a zillion times until I got it right without annoying my friend/teacher! I even knit and crochet right-handed, which is a big change for this lefty. There are just too many patterns I want to try that don't adjust to leftys.

Many little projects and two afghans later, I'm still falling further and further in love with yarn...

BJ in Houston
Go to Top of Page

knittertoo
Warming Up

93 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  2:12:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit knittertoo's Homepage Send knittertoo a Private Message
I just read on CNN that the poncho was knitted by a fellow inmate - she gave it to her the night before she left prison.

Without getting political, I think she is an amazing, smart, business-savvy, creative woman. Huzzaa that she's out!
Go to Top of Page

Mamazu
New Pal

11 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  4:57:46 PM  Show Profile Send Mamazu a Private Message
Well, there she is again with that Poncho!! On the ABC evening news with Peter Jennings. Evidently, on her first day back at work in a meeting with her staff, she's holding up the "famous" poncho to show it off. It sure is getting lots of attention!! Sure would like the pattern!!
Come on Martha, won't you share?!!
Go to Top of Page

AgnesB
Permanent Resident

USA
1152 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  8:20:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit AgnesB's Homepage Send AgnesB a Private Message
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/7119356/

The poncho was made by a fellow inmate and on the above link, you'll see Martha holding it in the welcoming party.

My knitting blog - http://knittinginthevalley.blogspot.com/
My photo blog - http://valleygallery.blogspot.com/

Write the bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble.
-Arabic Parable
Go to Top of Page

homebodyknits
Seriously Hooked

USA
713 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2005 :  04:48:42 AM  Show Profile Send homebodyknits a Private Message
Martha said the inmate that crocheted the poncho for her crochets about 12 hrs a day and gets her yarn at the commissary. Why would they have that much free time to do crafts? And who pays for the yarn for their gifts? I also wonder how expensive the yarn they are offered is. It didn't look like redheart to me!

Homebody Knits

Life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer you get to the end the faster it goes.

http://www.picturetrail.com/knitsbykathy
Go to Top of Page

lemons
Permanent Resident

1692 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2005 :  08:01:49 AM  Show Profile Send lemons a Private Message
New York Times business section this a.m. - page C3 in the national edition, discusses what she said about the poncho yesterday. Sure it wasn't Homespun?

lemons of missouri
Go to Top of Page

Sue Woo
Permanent Resident

USA
1974 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2005 :  6:21:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sue Woo's Homepage Send Sue Woo a Private Message
I posted on the OT forum-they said on the news that one of her fellow cupcakes made it for her, and that she learned to knit while there. Who knows, maybe she'll join the forum!

Sue
Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4165 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2005 :  6:51:18 PM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message
I just had an email from Lion Brand...they are going to post the pattern to Martha's poncho next week on their web site and in their email newsletter! They don't say whether it is knit or crochet...but we'll soon know!

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

VickiKK
Seriously Hooked

935 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2005 :  7:11:16 PM  Show Profile Send VickiKK a Private Message
This from the Lion's Brand newsletter today!!!

Martha's Poncho

After receiving the largest number of requests ever for a pattern, Lion Brand is creating a Homespun® pattern to match the poncho that Martha Stewart wore for her return home this week.

Our newsletter and web site next week (we’re working as fast as we can!) will feature the pattern and picture of the new poncho.

Go to Top of Page

seasiderunner@hotmail.com
New Pal

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2005 :  7:39:45 PM  Show Profile Send seasiderunner@hotmail.com a Private Message
I was at the lionbrand.com site this afternoon and right on the homepage they have a close-up shot of Marthat holding the poncho. It is definately crochet, apprently knit using Homespun yarn. They are currently devising a pattern to match it. Maybe they will create a knit pattern too. At least there are others who admired her poncho more than they really thought about the whole thing of her leaving prison!

Siobhan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.66 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.