Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting Celebs, Articles, Jokes, etc.
 Nice Poncho, Martha!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

thdx3
Seriously Hooked

694 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  06:20:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit thdx3's Homepage Send thdx3 a Private Message
Not intending to start a political discussion here; just sticking to my knitting--but Martha Stewart emerged from prison late last night wearing the neatest poncho. Hard to tell from the initial photos (Google "Martha Stewart" and several come up) whether it was knit or crochet, but it's a beautiful bulky tweed yarn seamed on the bias with a gorgeous scalloped edging, definitely handcrafted. Undoubtedly much ink will be spilled on Martha's choice of post-prison garb (hey, how come nobody cares what those Enron dudes wear? Oh, right, I'm sticking to my knitting), but I found her selection of poncho and jeans interesting and somehow cool.

Best and knit on--

Terri D. in NYC
http://offjumpsjack.blogspot.com

KnitSSK
Seriously Hooked

USA
656 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  06:22:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit KnitSSK's Homepage Send KnitSSK a Private Message
I saw it and that ole' knitting brain went to work. Yes, I want the pattern! Then again, so many poncho patterns out there that would suffice.

Martha

Wanting to be knitting, not working...
Go to Top of Page

joym624
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
483 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  06:24:41 AM  Show Profile Send joym624 a Private Message
So funny Terri, I came on here thinking I'd post the topic of Martha's poncho. It did look very beautiful, didn't it? The edging looked like it was crocheted. Hopefully some close-ups will emerge.

Joy
Go to Top of Page

Diva Ree
Gabber Extraordinaire

537 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  06:47:32 AM  Show Profile Send Diva Ree a Private Message
I liked it too, especially because it was a full poncho. Some people look cute in the mini ponchos that are everywhere, but to me, they look like someone got tired of knitting and quit before it was full size. I prefer the type Martha wore.
Go to Top of Page

Diva Ree
Gabber Extraordinaire

537 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  07:07:26 AM  Show Profile Send Diva Ree a Private Message
http://wwwi.reuters.com/images/mdf881962.jpg

I'm not sure about the body, but the ruffle looks like crocheted scallops on the edge.
Go to Top of Page

thdx3
Seriously Hooked

694 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  07:11:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit thdx3's Homepage Send thdx3 a Private Message
quote:
I saw it and that ole' knitting brain went to work. Yes, I want the pattern! Then again, so many poncho patterns out there that would suffice.

Martha

Wanting to be knitting, not working...

OK, KnitSSK--thanks for making me spit coffee on my keyboard.

Martha...is that you??

Terri D. giggling in NYC
http://offjumpsjack.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

dignitynaplomb
Chatty Knitter

259 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  07:46:11 AM  Show Profile Send dignitynaplomb a Private Message
Terri, Thanks for posting this topic, the first thing I thought when I saw the news this morning was "What a great poncho, I need to find a pattern for that".

-Heather

http://sitnknit.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  07:50:03 AM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
I just saw the newsbrief on her release this morning. It's a crocheted poncho. I believe they said she crocheted it herself. They said Martha spent her 5 months teaching yoga, working as a medical assist. and crocheting. I think she looked so good getting on that plane. Well rested, she also looked as if she's lost quite a bit of weight!

The news reporter made a really bad bad joke, but I liked it....he said Martha left the "big House" to go stay for 5 months at her "big house!"

Vicky (Queen O'Yarn archivist-QYA)
Go to Top of Page

Bean
Chatty Knitter

143 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  07:58:31 AM  Show Profile Send Bean a Private Message
I KNEW you guys would already be discussing the poncho. I love it! Crochet though, huh? Oh well.

Donna
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  08:14:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
Didn't see the poncho but so happy I bought the stock. Martha, I'm betting on you!!!

GFTC of NYC
Go to Top of Page

twstdstchs
Chatty Knitter

178 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  08:14:29 AM  Show Profile Send twstdstchs a Private Message
Somehow 5 months in a "big house" to knit doesn't sound so bad...........
Go to Top of Page

Lumberjill
Chatty Knitter

USA
188 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  09:31:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lumberjill's Homepage Send Lumberjill a Private Message
I know twstdstchs, it's almost tempting enough to go get oneself arrested....or maybe just put on jury duty... Basically what I want is to be Rapunzel with yarn instead of hair for a few weeks. Just a few weeks! While it's still icky outside and I have so many WIPs!

--Laura, sighing

http://laurakeet.blogspot.com/
Be careful or your face will stay that way.
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  09:38:16 AM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message
I think it definitely says something about Martha Stewart's enduring power if we still get excited over what she is wearing!

Me, I like the scarf she had on when she went out to greet her horses in the snow after returning to her home.

That Martha, defining the word "crafty" in her own way. I never doubted for a moment she would return and capture our interest.

M L
Go to Top of Page

Bean
Chatty Knitter

143 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  11:01:19 AM  Show Profile Send Bean a Private Message
There's a close-up of that scarf on CNN right now. Looks like mistake rib, maybe.

Donna
Go to Top of Page

InMySpareTime
Chatty Knitter

141 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  12:06:14 PM  Show Profile Send InMySpareTime a Private Message
So, they let her have a crochet hook in prison? Still, no hot showers ...
Go to Top of Page

Diane
Gabber Extraordinaire

366 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  1:13:41 PM  Show Profile Send Diane a Private Message
Totally agree --- it's an awesome poncho!
Go to Top of Page

VickiKK
Seriously Hooked

935 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  1:30:24 PM  Show Profile Send VickiKK a Private Message
I loved the poncho, too. Great length and style.

the interview I heard this morning said that she was LEARNING how to crochet and that she didn't yet have the skill to do the one she was wearing. They surmised that her daughter must have picked it up for her.
Vicki near Seattle
Go to Top of Page

Bookworm
Chatty Knitter

USA
265 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  4:44:02 PM  Show Profile Send Bookworm a Private Message
I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed the poncho and scarf before thinking about what she or the commentators were saying.
Hazel
Go to Top of Page

PattiG
Permanent Resident

1119 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  5:35:40 PM  Show Profile Send PattiG a Private Message
The poncho looked great on her! I frogged the two ponchos I made because they just didn't suit me. I couldn't really pinpoint why, but they didn't look stylish when I wore them. I'm looking forward to new eps of her lifestyle show. I'm not into the Apprentice, but I like her crafts and cooking segments.

PattiG
http://redvelvetcake.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2608 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  6:08:19 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message
I cannot believe this topic - I thought I was the only one in the world who thought not about her conviction/sentence/business but about the scarf and poncho she wore! I should have known there'd be like-minded knitters here. I got such a laugh out of reading this thread. Thanks so much for putting it out here.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

JaniceV
Chatty Knitter

USA
338 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  6:30:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit JaniceV's Homepage  Send JaniceV a Yahoo! Message Send JaniceV a Private Message
I think I need to go to Camp Cupcake and lose 20 lbs too before a pancho will look good on me.:( I would like to know if she did in fact make it.... she probably did.

Janice
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.