Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting as Therapy
 Knit for Patience!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

reddeviltj@yahoo.com
New Pal

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  08:45:19 AM  Show Profile  Send reddeviltj@yahoo.com a Yahoo! Message Send reddeviltj@yahoo.com a Private Message
I agree.
The funniest thing was when my kids recently told me that they noticed that when they were little and annoying (not that teens aren't) I would just knit faster and not give in to what they were bugging me about.

Susan
aka Jeepgirl
Go to Top of Page

knittherapy
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
375 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  10:22:12 AM  Show Profile  Send knittherapy a Yahoo! Message Send knittherapy a Private Message
I started out as a product knitter, but now I love the process! I was a crocheter for about 15 years before I started knitting (mainly because crocheting got too easy), and I am amazed when I turn out a beautiful cable pattern. I am always learning when I'm knitting.
Go to Top of Page

jen2500
New Pal

20 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  3:32:22 PM  Show Profile Send jen2500 a Private Message
I think you initially have to be a patient person to knit. I can't say that knitting has really made me a patient person. That said, I do get sometimes impatient to see the end result of whatever project I'm doing. Also if something gets tedious, I set it down for a little while and pick my second or third knitting project which I usually have going on the side anyway. So does that make me impatient after all????? By the way, I like the term "vomit" yarn. Never heard that one before.
Go to Top of Page

GoodnightGirl
New Pal

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  5:24:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit GoodnightGirl's Homepage Send GoodnightGirl a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by marymaryqc@charter.net

"Oh, I just don't have the patience to knit," and I would say, "Well I don't have the patience to sit here and do nothing"

Oh, I'm going to remember this one! I knit at all of my son's school/sports functions. What has surprised me more though is how snotty some of the non-knitting Moms can be. Like they're just too busy and important to think about something like knitting. (gag me) But also, I've had several great conversations with Dads who think it is a neat craft... heh, maybe THEIR wives should take up knitting! ;)
Go to Top of Page

KysKnitnMom
Permanent Resident

1050 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  6:17:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit KysKnitnMom's Homepage Send KysKnitnMom a Private Message
I am a total product knitter. I want things done yesterday! It's kind of like driving to me. I don't care about the surroundings on the way.. I just want to get there!! Now why am I not drowning in FO's then? lol

Megann, in sunny San Diego.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kysknitnmom/my_photos

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about....
Go to Top of Page

kyench
Chatty Knitter

USA
205 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  6:49:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit kyench's Homepage Send kyench a Private Message
OK about patience.......

I just discovered the PURL last night

I was told to practice my knit stitch till I was good and then start the purl.

I don't know if I have the patience to do a K1 P1..... unless there is a trick to having the yarn at the right place (front or back) of the stitch.
Go to Top of Page

Sparki
New Pal

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  7:17:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Sparki a Yahoo! Message Send Sparki a Private Message
Knitting seems calming, and with that may come patience. I find that having a set of needles in hand, working back and forth with a kind of rhythm, frees my mind somehow to think about the major problems of my life and mull solutions until the right one seems to come forth. If I can just get to a quiet place and knit a little while, I can settle, no matter how crazy the world around me is at the time.

And isn't it strange how that scarf or whatever, that you work on a bit at a time and seems to be taking forever, goes on and on and suddenly it's like this huge jump has occurred and it's almost done? That's when I feel the push. It's like the scarf (or shawl or sock) has instantly grown in length! Strange, yes?

Sparki (with the firehouse dog)
Go to Top of Page

Sparki
New Pal

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  7:21:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Sparki a Yahoo! Message Send Sparki a Private Message
About the K1 P1 business. Just put the yarn to the back before you knit and to the front before you purl. Whichever stitch you are getting ready to do, put the yarn there beforehand.

Happy knitting. Now you are ready to knock their socks off! (Or on, whichever.)

Sparki
Go to Top of Page

knittherapy
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
375 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  7:23:08 PM  Show Profile  Send knittherapy a Yahoo! Message Send knittherapy a Private Message
Congrats kyench! I wish I knew of this forum when I started knitting, to share accompilshments with...my non-crafty family and friends just don't get it!
Go to Top of Page

claudiam
Chatty Knitter

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  9:19:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit claudiam's Homepage Send claudiam a Private Message
I agree with all the above, I am more patient while knitting. I have to pick up the needles to regain the calm.... Teenagers can make you so , but also . Sometimes, when I start to lose it, the kids in my class will say. Maybe you should knit, and calm down. I mean I like the Zen feeling of knitting and when dealing with kids it help me deal with their erratic way of thinking and doing things!! But I do love to knit.

Claudiam
Go to Top of Page

gailholland@sympatico.ca

Posted - 03/05/2005 :  10:05:00 AM  Show Profile Send gailholland@sympatico.ca a Private Message
I think knitting has made me more BLOODY-MINDED! (i.e. stubborn for those of non-Brit heritage). I am determined to get it right, which means I must have knit my small grandson's Aran vest at least three times to get all the cables going in the right direction.
I think the "patience" factor depends on your attitude toward your WIP.
If you're knitting super-chunky yarn on humongous needles then you're probably focussed on the end product, and possibly impatient to finish. Or not.
I have often thought of knitting as a pilgimage. What counts is not the destination, but the journey (although if you're knitting you can WEAR the destination, unless it's an afghan :-).
I value what I learn by being an increasingly pickier knitter, and I don't think I would learn anything if I hurried through the knitting. I get double value for the time and money invested in knitting because I love the process AND the end product.
Gail in slushy Toronto where it will not STOP SNOWING. Oh Spring, wherefore art thou?
Go to Top of Page

irishmomof9
Chatty Knitter

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2005 :  6:56:42 PM  Show Profile Send irishmomof9 a Private Message
It's good to hear so many people getting something positive from their knitting. It really IS a stress-reliever (as well as allowing us to accomplish something fun and beautiful); it's like Yoga for our hands! I just got off the phone with my little granddaughter who lives 1,000 miles away. She was so thrilled with the sweater I'd made her for her 4th birthday - and especially because I'd made a matching one for her dolly! From what other activity can you derive such joy?

...and may God hold you in the palm of His hand
Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2005 :  09:26:48 AM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message
Hey, when I read the topic, "Knitting for Patience", I thought that a group of my KR pals had got together to knit for MOI! I do agree that knitting teaches patience in spite of ourselves, ergo, my screen name,

Hugs, Patience
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.76 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.