Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting as Therapy
 Knit for Patience!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

GoodnightGirl
New Pal

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2005 :  10:29:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit GoodnightGirl's Homepage Send GoodnightGirl a Private Message
Since I've started to knit, my ability to be a patient person has definitely improved. I'm more even-keeled when I have daily time to knit as well. But the patience involved in watching a project progress has done wonders for me in many aspects of my life.

- Liz
www.goodnightweb.com

luv2knit944
Permanent Resident

USA
1789 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2005 :  05:22:55 AM  Show Profile Send luv2knit944 a Private Message
Isn't that true what you said on patience.I feel the same.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

pjkite
Permanent Resident

1198 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2005 :  06:12:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit pjkite's Homepage  Send pjkite a Yahoo! Message Send pjkite a Private Message
A friend and I were talking about this earlier this week. We concluded that while our knitting and other needlework had helped develop patience, nothing beat three children for opportunities to practice it!

Pamela Kite
East Tennessee
http://fiberlife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

MeezerMom
Warming Up

USA
83 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2005 :  07:42:58 AM  Show Profile Send MeezerMom a Private Message
I think for me, the fact that I have to slow down to knit is what brings the patience. If I'm hurrying and stressed, I can't be patient, no matter how much I might want to be. By bringing more opportunities for slowing down, knitting fosters the kind of mental space to breathe...maybe that's why I have so many projects going? As long as I'm not bored, but interested in the variety of projects, I look for spaces of time to work on them thereby creating the calm that inspires patience?

www.knitnana.blogspot.com
>^..^<
You can't have too many cats, yarn, fabric, or sewing machines!
Go to Top of Page

knittherapy
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
375 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2005 :  11:42:16 AM  Show Profile  Send knittherapy a Yahoo! Message Send knittherapy a Private Message
I find I have infinite patience for knitting, but everything else is on a case-by-case basis!!
Go to Top of Page

kyench
Chatty Knitter

USA
205 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2005 :  11:52:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit kyench's Homepage Send kyench a Private Message
This is my problem. My LYS's owner says that I'm a product knitter and not a process knitter.

Anyone like that? I get really impatient to see the finished product or the resulted stitch pattern. I'm not sure if eventually I'll be patient.
Go to Top of Page

Kelly B
Permanent Resident

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2005 :  12:05:47 PM  Show Profile Send Kelly B a Private Message
I'm very much a product knitter, too, evidenced by the piles of quick-gratification hats, socks, mitts, scarves, bags I've focused on lately. That's partly because some of them were convenient Christmas gifts, but also because I get bored easily. I'm not one of those people who just wants to knit, or enjoys stockinette or ribbing for its rhythm -- I do it because seeing patterns and shapes emerge is really neat, and it keeps me from being bored while watching tv, waiting for kids' activities, doctors, and so forth. So I don't think I'm developing my patience, per se -- I'm keeping myself occupied!
Go to Top of Page

VickiKK
Seriously Hooked

935 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2005 :  12:40:24 PM  Show Profile Send VickiKK a Private Message
I'm a process knitter. Learning something new is what keeps me going. Probably a function of being bored with my job.

I'm also amazed on how I can spend hours and days untangling a skein of yarn. My attention span and patience is definitely not there in the other areas of my life. If you figure it out, let me know. It's a mystery to me!!
Vicki near Seattle
Go to Top of Page

kyench
Chatty Knitter

USA
205 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2005 :  12:44:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit kyench's Homepage Send kyench a Private Message
Funny you mentioned yarn. I have tried and tried with persistence to the wee hours of the morning trying to untangle the "vomit" portion from the center of the skein... especially those cheapo yarn from craft store that come in the pounds.

Now, I pull out that vomit part, cut it and throw it away. Then I start using the yarn.

I hope this bad habit doesn't pull through when I am looking at yarn store yarn.... cuz it's going to be expensive!!
Go to Top of Page

marymaryqc@charter.net

Posted - 03/03/2005 :  1:16:26 PM  Show Profile Send marymaryqc@charter.net a Private Message
I think knitting has helped me to be more patient- especially on those sweaters that I've unknit and reknit 3 or 4 times! But i wonder how many of you have had this experience...when I used to sit and knit while waiting for one of my kids to finish a dance class or a music lesson, or during a PTA meeting, I can't count the number of times someone would comment, "Oh, I just don't have the patience to knit," and I would say, "Well I don't have the patience to sit here and do nothing" (only not as snotty as that sounds)....and really I think that the act of knitting has often given me the patience to sit through what I would otherwise find excruciatingly boring circumstances. I think it's given me a way to be patient, just as much as I've learned to be patient about finishing my projects.
Go to Top of Page

pattiw
Chatty Knitter

USA
199 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2005 :  2:13:14 PM  Show Profile Send pattiw a Private Message
I think I'm more patient while I'm knitting. The act itself calms me, or occupies me while I'm waiting. But I'm not sure I'm more patient at other times. The practice of ripping and reknitting, sometimes repeatedly, doesn't have anything to do with patience for me. It's totally about perserverance.

Patti

I'm not always perfect, but I am always me.
Go to Top of Page

Snowcat
New Pal

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2005 :  2:40:26 PM  Show Profile Send Snowcat a Private Message
Hi,
I'm not sure if knitting has made me more patient. I think that lesson came from 5 years as a waitress and 2 years as a secretary for a pest control facility answering weird questions. For example, as a waitress, is the baked potato cooked? (really) and as the secretary...I have this bug that I squished can you tell me what it is? (over the phone with no description). I do believe that knitting has helped lower my blood pressure and taught me patience with myself but patience with the world goes to waiting and secretrial skills.
You learn a lot dealing with people, but then that's what makes life fun. No really!!!
Kathy

Where ever you go, there you are.
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2005 :  3:12:48 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by kyench

Funny you mentioned yarn. I have tried and tried with persistence to the wee hours of the morning trying to untangle the "vomit" portion from the center of the skein... especially those cheapo yarn from craft store that come in the pounds.

Now, I pull out that vomit part, cut it and throw it away. Then I start using the yarn.

I hope this bad habit doesn't pull through when I am looking at yarn store yarn.... cuz it's going to be expensive!!

uH, JUST A THOUGHT, BUT YOU MIGHT WANT TO THROW THAT "YARN VOMIT" IN THE BOTTOWM OF YOUR BAG INSTEAD OF THE TRASH. i'M ANTICIPATING A DAY WHEN YOU NEED JUST ONE MORE YARD TO FINISH SOMETHING (darn that blasted caps lock key!) and you will think mournfully of the tangle you threw away.

Anita, not shouting but too lazy to re-type

See my completed projects!
http://www.picturetrail.com/achrisvet
Go to Top of Page

stubbornkelly
Chatty Knitter

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2005 :  3:25:25 PM  Show Profile Send stubbornkelly a Private Message
I'm not sure if I've grown more patient. Sometimes I think so, but when I look at all my WIPs, I think not. For me, it's not the different article that's the product I'm after, but I try to create products sometimes when all I really want to do is play with a yarn or stitch pattern and think it's wasteful not to actually make something. Do I get partway done with whatever it is and move on to the next yarn or stitch I want to try.

For me, a swatch is great gratification, as long as that's what I'm trying to knit. All the unfinished things that resemble overgrown swatches, well, those don't count.

I can get impatient while knitting sometimes, too, particularly if I want to get a certain amount finished before I go to bed or work or something like that.

I've always been good at sitting and doing nothing, so in that sense, knitting hasn't done anything for my patience.
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2005 :  4:29:10 PM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Hi,

I can be very patient when knitting when I'm watching TV or knitting in the car or whatever.

But if I'm counting stitches on a graph or just counting stitches.

Beware my patience flies out the window at a rate of knots, especially if its one of the kids going "where's my (fill in whatever" and its 2 inches from their face.

I must practice more patience in situations like that.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose.
Go to Top of Page

amycrea@mn.rr.com
New Pal

35 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2005 :  4:56:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit amycrea@mn.rr.com's Homepage Send amycrea@mn.rr.com a Private Message
I don't know if it makes me more patient in regular life or not, but I seem to have far more patience for knitting than any other activity. I'm a process knitter, maybe that's part of it. I have tons of scarves that I never wear, I just wanted to make them, play with yarn, try different patterns, etc. It's very gratifying.
Go to Top of Page

bloomoon1970@yahoo.com

Posted - 03/03/2005 :  5:18:29 PM  Show Profile Send bloomoon1970@yahoo.com a Private Message
I'm torn on this one....on one hand, I'll work for months for something like an afghan, but by the time I reach the almost-end of a project, I'm working like gangbusters to finish. I guess I'm patient to a point
Go to Top of Page

jovneo
Chatty Knitter

Singapore
146 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2005 :  6:02:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit jovneo's Homepage Send jovneo a Private Message
I'm only patient when knitting. However, I also noticed that I'm becoming more impatient, especially when I had to wait (eg. travelling, waiting for people to arrive during appointments...) as I feel that I'm wasting my time. Therefore, I always try to bring my knitting when I know I'll be waiting...

~ Jovneo ~
Go to Top of Page

Chayah
Permanent Resident

1926 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2005 :  6:23:36 PM  Show Profile Send Chayah a Private Message
Knitting helps me handle waiting, or just sitting like in the car. Any time my hands aren't
busy I need my knitting. Don't think I'm more patient with people though. Chayah
Go to Top of Page

Emelia Lesser
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2005 :  6:39:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Emelia Lesser's Homepage Send Emelia Lesser a Private Message
I don't necessarily feel more patient, I've always been patient (which I'm told is shocking for an 18 yr old...) but It does help me focus and feel less self conscious. I live with a super-girl room mate who can never be doing nothing. I take solace in just sitting and meditating when I'm alone...but it's hard when you live with someone who doesn't understand. I feel like I can zen out and reflect when I'm knitting but I can still be producing something. I always need to be creating (I'm an art major) so knitting is an excellent way to multi-task, but at the same time, be deeply focused.

~Em
"Art is the reason I get up in the morning but my definition ends there and it just doesn't seem fair that I'm living for something I can't even define...but there he is in the mean time," ~Ani DiFranco
Go to Top of Page

amycrea@mn.rr.com
New Pal

35 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2005 :  07:23:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit amycrea@mn.rr.com's Homepage Send amycrea@mn.rr.com a Private Message
Em, have you read Zen and the Art of Knitting? It's a book about what you describe. I feel like that when I'm knitting alone too, very contemplative and meditative.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 3.42 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?