Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting as Therapy
 Nightmare presentation - I PASSED
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Sabrina Fair
Seriously Hooked

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2005 :  08:00:23 AM  Show Profile Send Sabrina Fair a Private Message
I am doing a PhD in software complexity metrics (I am sure that you are all asleep already). Anyway part of the process here is that for 2 years you do a dual track and then do a transfer interview and presentation. If you do well you go on the PhD track if you do middling you go on the Masters by research track and if you do badly you fail.

Well I already have a Masters so to be worth my self respect and 2 years work so far, not to mention the fees and the time from my family I have to get onto the PhD track.

In some ways I am not to worried as I think that my supervisor would have indicated if things were going wrong. He is a perfectionist and a very conscientious man.

The probelm is I hate the write up of the presentation. I have been working on it for a couple of weeks and have until Thursday to submit the written work. I then have one more week to prepare the viusal stuff. All the time I should be writing I keep poping onto KR to reward myself for a little bit more. When I knit at home in the evenings I feel badly because I am waisting time.

I can't wait until its all over and if I did get knocked back after all this I would be mortifed. I also hate giving presentations, especially to people I know because you have to see them afterwards.

Sabrina

Sabrina fair,
Listen where thou art sitting
Under the glassy, cool, translucent wave,
In twisted braids of lilies knitting

Sketcher
Gabber Extraordinaire

597 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2005 :  08:29:58 AM  Show Profile Send Sketcher a Private Message
What a stressful time for you! And I assume you are probably not sleeping as much or as well as usual. I don't know if it will help, but when I have a monster deadline, I set a timer for my stress-buster activities. I find it ironic that the things I do to relieve the stress can turn around and cause more by biting into my precious time. If you are lacking sleep - maybe time some 20 minute naps in?

Remember some of your worries are caused by your situation and are perfectly normal. Believe in yourself. I'm sure your family does.

During the presentation maybe you could imagine everyone is naked & you could feel sorry for them because they don't know how to knit themselves some clothes?

Good Luck!
Go to Top of Page

Sabrina Fair
Seriously Hooked

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2005 :  08:52:12 AM  Show Profile Send Sabrina Fair a Private Message
Well sketcher I have never tried that presentation technique before - hmmm think of some of thoes wrinkley old academics

Sabrina

Sabrina fair,
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2005 :  09:02:41 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
Sabrina, just think about how wonderful you will feel when this is all done and you don't have to think or work on it anymore. If you have done the masters than there is NO REASON you can't do this. Have faith in yourself and KNOW that you can do it and that it will be all over soon. Like I tell my kids it is better to try and fail than not to try at all. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

yarnlover@ameritech.net

Posted - 02/19/2005 :  09:27:41 AM  Show Profile Send yarnlover@ameritech.net a Private Message
Get your presentation ready and then practice, practice, practice. Once you have it down pat, you'll be less nervous and more able to present it well. I've never been able to look at a group and imagine them naked or in their underwear or any of the other tricks like this that I've heard about. Just doesn't work for me, but the practice does. Include not only your words, but your actions, so you are just so comfortable with the material, you'll shine.

Then, as someone who was a wonderful public speaker and presenter once told me, the butterflies in the stomach are good to keep you on your toes, but don't let them take control. Good Luck and best wishes for a successful project.
Go to Top of Page

Jenny
Permanent Resident

1613 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2005 :  09:45:46 AM  Show Profile Send Jenny a Private Message
Go forth and make us knitters proud!
Jenny
WA State
Go to Top of Page

graciebell
Gabber Extraordinaire

377 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2005 :  10:18:21 AM  Show Profile Send graciebell a Private Message
Oh, I feel your pain!! I'm working on writing my Master's thesis now, and it is amazing how stressful it is! But, think of what a great stress reliever knitting is, and how crazy you would be if you didn't have knitting!!

Good luck with getting your presentation together! I know you will be so relieved when it is over!

My knitting blog!
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2005 :  1:09:35 PM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
Oh Sabrina, My thoughts and positive energy are with you through this tough time. Just think how great you'll feel when it's all over. I know it will go well and you will be finished and ready just when you have to be and you will be proud of your work. We all need breaks from work. Rewarding yourself w/ KR and knitting is a very good idea. Work for 45 minutes and break for 15-20 minutes or so on line or w/ your needles. Then as someone else suggested....practice in front of the mirror...or in front of your family and accept their constructive criticism. You'll do just fine I'm sure. I would suggest perhaps that you ease up on yourself....pamper yourself instead. You are going through a very hard and stressful life event and you need praise and strokes....Get a massage, manicure, or take a nice walk...then get back to work and finish up! Take care and I'm sure everything will be fine.

Vicky (Queen O'Yarn archivist-QYA)
Go to Top of Page

sallyjo
Permanent Resident

USA
2401 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2005 :  2:26:23 PM  Show Profile Send sallyjo a Private Message
Not naked - in their Telletubby underwear!
At some point this will be over. You've been working for two years. You'll probably be ready, whether you think you are or not.
Remember to breathe.

"as if God had shrugged his shoulders (and) presently our civilization will once again belong to the misshapen, the moonstruck, and the damned" Woolcott Gibbs
Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2005 :  09:02:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
Hello! Fear of public speaking is more common than a fear of death! Of course you are scared, especially since everything rides on it.

Don't be afriad to knit, because if you spend all your time preparing, you will be burnt out by the time you get in front of them.

The good news is that very few people die from being nervy about speaking in front of people. Your audience will not notice many of the things that you think that they will, and will more than likely forgive the speaking faux pas that they do notice.

Minimize the information that you put in front of them....think bullet points...and then won't know if you have missed an entire point, unless it is salient to your overall thesis.

And remember to rehearse instead of memorize......

Kelley

Everywhere you go, there you are! Imagine that....
Go to Top of Page

anang310
Chatty Knitter

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2005 :  1:11:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit anang310's Homepage Send anang310 a Private Message
Lots of good thoughts to you! I knit my way through studying for my doctoral comprehensives, and I see many, many socks in my future as I complete my research and write it up. Just practice lots!

Let us know how it goes!

http://www.anitaderouen.net/knitnut
Go to Top of Page

Sabrina Fair
Seriously Hooked

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  02:00:08 AM  Show Profile Send Sabrina Fair a Private Message
Thanks for all your thoughts and suggestions.

At the moment I have 2 days to go before the write up has to be submitted and then a week to prepare overheads and do the thing.

Each day it would have been nice to feel that I was ahead of the game but that has not happened. I am gaining and I think that it will come together but only just - there is a section which is not detailed enough but I shall leave it until 2 other sections are in place before trying to add more.

I am not usually a last minute person you see. I like to dominate my work or I feel swamped. Its just in the weeks coming up to this there was a domestic situation that took my time and then I had flu so the preperation time was squeezed.

Result panic and the only solution work, sleep, work, sleep, work

Sabrina

Sabrina fair,
Go to Top of Page

probablyjane
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1227 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  03:05:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit probablyjane's Homepage Send probablyjane a Private Message
Hang in there Sabrina - we are always our own worst critics - all you can do is your best and that's good enough. I'm trying to do a masters degree in health management at the moment which sounds a walk in th park compared to yours. Breaks with my knitting work for me - usually they aren't 'down time' but time to reassess what I am writing ready to go back afresh and very much in line with accepted thinking on study skills - my friend's son does the same thing with studying and playing his guitar for 15 mins.

Just think about how wonderful you will feel when it is over - like concentrating on the horizon when you're feeling seasick.

My only word of advice would be to always assume that technology will let you down and have a back up plan for your presentation materials!

Best of luck

Jane

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/janelithgow/album
Go to Top of Page

Sabrina Fair
Seriously Hooked

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2005 :  06:00:46 AM  Show Profile Send Sabrina Fair a Private Message
Well after 2 weeks of 12 or more hour working days and being a mother as well; the written documents are in. Wounder what I have left out. Last night as I was wrappig up I felt half like crying and half like laughing, I can't believe I did it.

Was it worth while - I tnink so, I don't think I would have covered so much ground unless I had been compelled to.

Next week I have the slides and the talk to prepare and then go for the presentation at 12:00 Thursday 3 March. This weekend well each child has a party to go to. I for once am going to drive them all round town thinking what a luxury that is.

Then on Sunday I am going to have a long relaxed guiltless knit and let my thoughts empty, must get a good audio tape in, some buns and some coffee.

Sabrina

Sabrina fair,
Go to Top of Page

Sabrina Fair
Seriously Hooked

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2005 :  07:17:23 AM  Show Profile Send Sabrina Fair a Private Message
Got the presentation done.

Last night as I saved the slides in powerpoint the computer crashed big style. It seemed to take my work with it and I seemed to face the evening redevising it all. Thankfully this was jsut a wind up and the file was recovered.

Then today I gave the presentation and got the assocaited academic grilling. This went on for much longer than it should have done however I hope I was able to field all the stuff.

Now I don't know.

Havn't had any feed back yet

Sabrina

Sabrina fair,
Go to Top of Page

pixie_day
Chatty Knitter

130 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2005 :  07:39:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit pixie_day's Homepage Send pixie_day a Private Message
Good Luck.
Go to Top of Page

jade
Permanent Resident

USA
1543 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2005 :  08:06:08 AM  Show Profile Send jade a Private Message
Sabrina,

Sorry I found this thread so late. My best wishes are with you. I wanted to pass on a piece of advice which has helped me through many presentations. I'm a research scientist (physics) and giving papers is an essential part of my work.

A colleague and friend told me that when you present your work, you tell a story to your co-workers. They may know the technical details better than you, but they don't know how YOUR story ends. So concentrate on passing on what you know and relax.

The essential point of my friend's advice is that any presentation is about the material, not about you. You know the contents better than anyone in the world so use your time to teach and inform. I used to be a bundle of nerves, afraid I would make some horrible gaffe and be revealed as a charlatan. Now I concentrate on the gist of my paper, think about how best to convey what I know and understand and try to get that across.

Congratulations on getting through this hurdle.

Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

scarf-o-matic
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
148 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  02:35:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit scarf-o-matic's Homepage Send scarf-o-matic a Private Message
Dear Sabrina,

Hope you get good feedback! Congratulations for getting through it, and hope you had a celebratory event afterwards (hey, even a pint tastes better after reaching a deadline!).

Jade, that is great advice.

Best,

Jess

http://scarfomatic.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

anang310
Chatty Knitter

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  09:35:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit anang310's Homepage Send anang310 a Private Message
Hoping for lots of great feedback for you! Congrats on getting this far--look at all you've accomplished!

http://www.anitaderouen.net/knitnut
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2005 :  10:16:37 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
Now just take a deep breath, sit back, knit and get on with life. There is nothing more that you can do and you know that you did your best. Good Luck. Keep us informed.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

Sabrina Fair
Seriously Hooked

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2005 :  11:00:24 AM  Show Profile Send Sabrina Fair a Private Message
Thanks for all the support!

The presentation went well, I felt relaxed and could talk. I think thats the preperation coming out.

The review afterwards was a bit stiff at first but then went better.

Then I got through on the Ph.D. programme so great!

Then boy did I sit around doing nothing much this weekend apart from watch tv, knit and read.

Sabrina

Sabrina fair,
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page