Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Desert Island Stash
 On the plane to the island . . .
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

fufu_gina
New Pal

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2001 :  8:11:23 PM  Show Profile Send fufu_gina a Private Message
GOOD NEWS!!! today at a store called "hobby lobby" (www.hobbylobby.com) i found lots of bamboo knitting needles. they are made by clover needlecraft inc. you could also try lionbrandyarn.com. the ones i bought by clover are 5 inches of bamboo and another 12 inches of the flexible plastic wire most commonly found on the flexible double needles. these should have a much better chance of getting past security. but, i still highly recommend having a project in progress, especially after the exploding sneaker idiot.

hugs n stuff, gina
Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1562 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2002 :  1:07:34 PM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message
I have used the clover needles and found the transition from cable to needle quite a challenge! I also found myself wrestling with their very stiff cable, with it up my nose, half the time! I would highly recommend the Addi Turbo needles if you can find them. They are also prevalent on line and a very, very fine needle. I gave up the idea of trying to get bamboo needles thru security at the air ports. We have just returned from France and you really do take a chance of them confiscating your knitting on a random basis, although I didn't see any of that. I guess I am just too afraid of losing my needles and project to risk it.

quote:

GOOD NEWS!!! today at a store called "hobby lobby" (www.hobbylobby.com) i found lots of bamboo knitting needles. they are made by clover needlecraft inc. you could also try lionbrandyarn.com. the ones i bought by clover are 5 inches of bamboo and another 12 inches of the flexible plastic wire most commonly found on the flexible double needles. these should have a much better chance of getting past security. but, i still highly recommend having a project in progress, especially after the exploding sneaker idiot.

hugs n stuff, gina

Shirley
Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2002 :  6:33:56 PM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message

I've been following this discussion, and watching it quickly seem to be deteriorating. My question here is this.....why would we take a perfectly wonderful topic like "Desert Island Stash", and turn it into a "heated finger pointing match", concerning knitting needles on airplanes? I can see merit to what everyone has had to say here, but I think we need to get back on track, IMHO.

So, on that note, I would take some extremely soft merino, or angora (yes, I know it would be rather hot on a desert island, but alas, they are my favorites), and the book "The Joy of Knitting" to savor over and over again! Maybe then, without the benefit of any patterns or directions for my knitting, I might actually become creative and design my own pattern as I knit! Don't laugh-----one can always dream, right?

"Patience is a virtue", and I sure need it!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.84 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?