Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Southwool Place vs. Handpaintedyarn.com?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Stacey14
Permanent Resident

1120 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  12:03:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stacey14's Homepage Send Stacey14 a Private Message
Southwool place is also selling similar yarn on Ebay - not sure if anyone has purchased from them and how the quality is in comparison - they look a bit more inexpensive (if that is possible!) at $6.30/135 yds.....

marigold
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  08:23:56 AM  Show Profile Send marigold a Private Message
i just took a peek at ebay and saw southwool- wonder just how many uruguayan folks there are out there selling yarn and maybe fiber? would love to know if anyone has tried southwool. i sat on the fence about ordering from handpainted till most was gone. made up my mind for me. can't decide about this pilling issue.
Go to Top of Page

pwoods
Chatty Knitter

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  2:48:26 PM  Show Profile Send pwoods a Private Message
There's another one on Ebay called 100purewool. They aren't a "store" but I found it by running a search. They have similar yarns, prices and interesting colors/combinations. I've only ordered from handpainted.com (boy, did I ever!) but would love to hear from someone who's ordered from either Southwool or 100purewool.
Go to Top of Page

rejoyce
Chatty Knitter

USA
250 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  5:40:00 PM  Show Profile Send rejoyce a Private Message
I have ordered from 100purewool. It is the same yarn, as far as I can tell as handpaintedyarn.com. She said she use to be under the name malabrigo.
Does anyone know which of the colors of merino wool is a pretty sky blue? Sometime it is hard to tell from my monitor.

Thanks,
Kim
Go to Top of Page

andielib
New Pal

17 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  8:37:47 PM  Show Profile Send andielib a Private Message
I've ordered from Southwool. The yarn is soooo soft and yummy and the colors are just gorgeous. I've (obviously) been very pleased with them!
Go to Top of Page

lsm
Chatty Knitter

245 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2005 :  09:31:43 AM  Show Profile Send lsm a Private Message
rejoyce - handpaintedyarn.com retails their worsted weight merino under the malabrigo name. "Tuscan Sky" at http://www.yarn.com/yarns-knitting/malibrigo.html is a beautiful sky blue. The photo looks lighter than the actual product. If you order, be sure to ask them to check that all match the others, otherwise, you may end up with a few that are more blue than white and vice versa.
Go to Top of Page

Yarn Delirious
Seriously Hooked

USA
777 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2005 :  11:47:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Yarn Delirious's Homepage Send Yarn Delirious a Private Message
I've ordered from both 100purewool and Southwool. The items from 100purewool were the worsted merino and so nice and soft. The items from Southwool were listed as worsted merino but aren't as soft and a bit bulkier in weight. The colors for both are quite nice. (I have also ordered from handpaintedyarn.com and from sanfilipesantiago (ebay) which carry the handspun wool and the 6ply worsted merino.) The nice thing about Southwool is that the shipping isn't as high as 100purewool. Once you add shipping to the cost of the yarn, it approaches the price of the Malabrigo at www.yarn.com (Webs) with the quantity discount offered there.

It isn't easy to find a solid sky blue color, as most of the yarns do have variations. This one Plum is a soft sky blue but also has some lilac blended in. One of the colors I purchased from 100purewool in the worsted merino/malabrigo is called Royal Blue. However is it a lovely variation from a med blue to a sky blue. The picture didn't do it justice.

Shel

Yarn Delirious blog
Go to Top of Page

shanonstone@hotmail.com
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2005 :  10:06:07 PM  Show Profile Send shanonstone@hotmail.com a Private Message
Are the yarns smooth from these sellers? I have been eying the laceweight yarn from handpainted.com, but wasn't sure if the yarn quality would be as good as other designer yarns. I would like to knit a lacy shawl with a lot of different patterns, but I like the yarn to be crisp and not fuzzy.
Go to Top of Page

needlesandpinza
Chatty Knitter

USA
128 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  10:48:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit needlesandpinza's Homepage  Send needlesandpinza a Yahoo! Message Send needlesandpinza a Private Message
I have been buying from 100 pure wool since May. I am in total love!!
I have made a clapitos from it, clothing, purses, felted slippers and much more.
I cant stand the shipping cost/time but when you divide it out you come out similar to others.
A Lys only sold Rio DelPlata at 13.50. but i come out with more yardage and 2.00 cheaper. I am ok with that, but everyones different.
I love 100 pure wool

Lindsay
http://needlesandpinza.onheavenandearth.com/index.html
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.55 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by