Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 The Curse of the Love Sweater?
 It's finished and he's wearing it!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2005 :  11:08:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message
I finally fnished DH jumper. He wore it to the pub and one of the people behind the bar asked him where he got it. He said 'My Wife made it". She then called over another person and said 'Do you like his jumper?", "It's ok", "His wife made it" "No way. where did you get it"

They didn't believe him and kept asking where he bought it.

Wen

2005 stats: 3 FO, 8 WIP, 0 frogpond.
http://photos.yahoo.com/whdayus

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2005 :  12:21:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
Don't you just love when that happens!

-Wendy

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2005 :  02:05:40 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Congrats! I knit a jumper for my husband years ago. He spent about a month going to LYS and checking for the perfect yarn to go with a design he liked(forget the name but it was a triangle based one from Alice Starmore's Sweaters for Men) I had knitted it, but it was a bit to small, so I cut the sides, picked up the stitches and widened it. Anyway he grew not to like the colours, and seeing how it's been about 10 years, I'm giving it to a friend's knitting class. They can frog it and use the yarn for something that will get used.

"I firmly believe the Bible is the misinterpreted word of God." Mokey

www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

AgnesB
Permanent Resident

USA
1152 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2005 :  09:26:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit AgnesB's Homepage Send AgnesB a Private Message
That's something which makes one happy, isn't it? I am now wearing the sweater I made for my husband ... it was my fault. I chose the pattern without asking him ... and he thought it was too feminine. What is the pattern of your husband's jumper? Mine would like just plain stockinette stitch ... no cable, no anything!

My knitting blog - http://knittinginthevalley.blogspot.com/
My photo blog - http://valleygallery.blogspot.com/

Iron rusts from disue; stagnant water loses its purity and in cold weather becomes frozen; even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.
Leonardo da Vinci, The Notebooks
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2005 :  11:00:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message
It's a Jaeger pattern called Bowie with cables going up and ridges of garter stitch going across it.

Wen

2005 stats: 3 FO, 8 WIP, 0 frogpond.
Go to Top of Page

Superblue
New Pal

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2005 :  1:05:33 PM  Show Profile Send Superblue a Private Message
Congratulations on the completed jumper!

----
I loved deeper, and I spoke sweeter, and I gave forgiveness I'd been denying. He said someday I hope you get the chance, to live like you were dying.

[img]http://www.smiliegenerator.de/s26/smilies-18743.png[/img]
Go to Top of Page

Kelly B
Permanent Resident

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2005 :  1:34:50 PM  Show Profile Send Kelly B a Private Message
I peeked at your pics. Looks great! The jumper's handsome too.

my pics
Go to Top of Page

RoseM
Permanent Resident

Canada
1898 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2005 :  7:03:17 PM  Show Profile Send RoseM a Private Message
Fits him so well (admiring the shoulders which is where I seem to have fitting/knitting problems) - and it's a great color too. Well done.
RoseM
Go to Top of Page

Miss_Lizzyisaknitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2005 :  7:33:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Miss_Lizzyisaknitter's Homepage  Send Miss_Lizzyisaknitter a Yahoo! Message Send Miss_Lizzyisaknitter a Private Message
that's awesome!!

Lizzy
~~Proud Knitter~~
mom to Jaemie & Christopher Jr
i'm a "chatty knitter" yay!
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2005 :  02:48:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message
Thank you all. Rose, he has narrow shoulders so I have found that I need to make a size smaller than he would buy and make the sleeve and body longer. Definitely a better fit than a bought jumper.

I've already started his next one which is Sheoak from Jo Sharp 1.

Wen

2005 stats: 7 FO, 9 WIP, 0 frogpond.
Go to Top of Page

Garden mom
Chatty Knitter

Canada
115 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  09:09:31 AM  Show Profile Send Garden mom a Private Message
Congratulations!
I made one and only one for my husband. Deep forest green with intricate cables with moss stitch to offset the cables. It's still in the closet. He doesn't wear sweaters; they make him itch...

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you are right."
Henry Ford
Go to Top of Page

gmtlvsred
Warming Up

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  07:11:13 AM  Show Profile  Send gmtlvsred a Yahoo! Message Send gmtlvsred a Private Message
I started a cardigan for my DH several years ago, lost the pattern, so I ripped it out and started it again. I let him pick the pattern, it was made in basically one peice, all SS. It was my first time using any type of circular gauge, so - you guessed it - it came out too small. It is in the closet. We plan to see if one of his nephews can wear it! I started another sweater for him years ago, 100% wool from yarn I bought when I was in Germany. Got one whole peice done, we had a flood and it got wet, so I washed it. I now have a beautifully felted back to a sweater! And yes, I plan to try one more time to make him a sweater. If that one flops, he can buy one. Besides, how many sweaters does one need in Texas!!!
Go to Top of Page

becka always
Permanent Resident

USA
1959 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  8:24:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit becka always's Homepage Send becka always a Private Message
WTG, wen

Addicted to the Knit
Becka Always
Go to Top of Page

Suzann
Seriously Hooked

USA
869 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2005 :  05:10:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Suzann's Homepage Send Suzann a Private Message
It is a beautiful sweater Wen, and the model isn't bad either The pattern looks interesting to knit but not to fussy for a guy. My DH when asked requested a sweater in navy blue that looks like a sweatshirt. I am trying to train him to love cables

Making cables is like making love. There is a lot of foreplay before you get to the deed
http://www15.brinkster.com/lyricalarmy/lace/lace.htm
Go to Top of Page

kekokat
Seriously Hooked

USA
845 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2005 :  3:33:07 PM  Show Profile Send kekokat a Private Message
I'm relieved. I interpreted your subject line to mean - "the relationship is over and the ba--ard is wearing it! (the curse of the love sweater means something else to me, apparently. (o: So, well done and phew! Julie in OHio
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2005 :  7:40:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message
LOL Julie.

No the curse hasn't hit, but we did get married before it was finished.

Wen

2005 stats: 7 FO, 9 WIP, 1 frogpond.
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  4:18:17 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message
Aw a Curse of the Love Story happy ending story! Happiness to the Bride, and Congratulations to the Groom.

lella [img]http://smilies.sofrayt.com/^/9971/omelet.gif[/img]
http://zippiknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kimberling
Warming Up

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  2:01:05 PM  Show Profile Send Kimberling a Private Message
I saw your pictures WEN and your DH looks very happy in his new pullover and the color suits him. Now just wait - after your visits to the LYS, you will be asked "is that for me?" It seems like guys are floored that anyone would want to knit for them. My DH had his grandmother knit for him and now me.

Kimberling
Go to Top of Page

Lorli
New Pal

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  2:54:17 PM  Show Profile Send Lorli a Private Message
I just joined the forum and was reassured to know that some people have broken the curse - but I can't get over my fear of it. I knitted a complicated gansey with wide, tight cables for my first husband in proper gansey wool, using 5 long double pointed needles which were so pointy that my fingers were sore...he left me before it was finished and I couldn't bring myself to wear it and gave it away...then again a beautiful lopi sweater (which I designed myself with my ex boyfriend's initials converted into a design) managed to break up that relationship (he kept it).

I've now been married 10 years and would just love to knit a sweater for my DH but am afraid to!!! I have knitted him a couple of winter caps, which he doesn't seem to like very much. So does the curse only work for sweaters? Or only for knitted things that the man actually likes? My poor DH can't understand why I won't knit anything for him when I knit for everyone else (including the dog and for the baby lambs and goats who all get sweaters).

Cheers, all,
Lorli
Go to Top of Page

Girliegirl31
New Pal

18 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2005 :  03:33:43 AM  Show Profile Send Girliegirl31 a Private Message
Congratulations on finishing it. I've made one sweater for my DH. He pulls it out every once in a while. But he does get compliments when he wears it.

Best wishes,

Danielle

_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_

Knitique
8741 Elk Grove Blvd.
Elk Grove, CA 95624
East of Hwy. 99
916-714-7719
Go to Top of Page

Kimaroo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
425 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2005 :  09:27:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kimaroo's Homepage Send Kimaroo a Private Message
I thought the curse only applied to pre-married folks... People who run away with a fear of commitment..

-Kim-

The Kimmish Knitting Blog
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by