Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 Denise Interchangeable Knitting Needles
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

emilykrag
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2003 :  3:27:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit emilykrag's Homepage Send emilykrag a Private Message
Me again! I forgot to say, we've also gotten lots of requests for shorter cord lengths (especially for making certain hat patterns). One of the things I love about this kit is you can easily alter the cord lengths at home. Here's how to do it: take a cord you'd like to shorten and make a small cut in one end to release the black connecting piece (a razor blade works well or an exacto knife - however you spell that). Measure and cut the cord to the length you want, then soak the cut end in hot water to soften the plastic. Reinsert the connecting piece, and there you have it! It's amazingly easy and quick to do. Enjoy!

Emily

Go to Top of Page

emilykrag
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2003 :  3:27:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit emilykrag's Homepage Send emilykrag a Private Message
Me again! I forgot to say, we've also gotten lots of requests for shorter cord lengths (especially for making certain hat patterns). One of the things I love about this kit is you can easily alter the cord lengths at home. Here's how to do it: take a cord you'd like to shorten and make a small cut in one end to release the black connecting piece (a razor blade works well or an exacto knife - however you spell that). Measure and cut the cord to the length you want, then soak the cut end in hot water to soften the plastic. Reinsert the connecting piece, and there you have it! It's amazingly easy and quick to do. Enjoy!

Emily

Go to Top of Page

KathyN
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2003 :  3:35:49 PM  Show Profile Send KathyN a Private Message
I do not have the Denise interchangable needles. However, I do have a set of interchangeable needles from Susan Bates. I love them. Even after many years of having them I was able to write and get some more cables. This was an accomplishment in and of it self because during the time I had the set Susan Bates was taken over by Coats & Clark. In my set, there were 4 cable sizes, 12 sizes of needles, 4 stitch holders, small wrench and a gripper. I still have the set and continue to use it. I do like it. If I remember right, I paid approximately $40 for the complete set. It was probably about 8 - 10 years ago that I bought them.

Go to Top of Page

theezer
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2003 :  5:22:31 PM  Show Profile Send theezer a Private Message
My Denise kit is at least fifteen years old and it continues to play a major role in my knitting life. I don't consider them a substitute for regular needles as plastic is not my preferred medium. BUT, they have their perfect place- finishing collars in the round, leaving them on the cord when I am alternating working two of the same fronts for cardigans and sleeves, using them as short needles when I an knitting a buttonhole placket and Especially when I get excited about starting a new project and all my needles are occupied elsewhere.
Years ago I broke my number 5 needle and they sent me a new pair so now I have three-I still remember the customer service all this time.
Good luck to the new owners. It a definate must have regardless of the price!
Go to Top of Page

magikaat
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2003 :  09:25:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit magikaat's Homepage Send magikaat a Private Message
I have been knitting for about 40 years--in that time I have bought and used just about every brand of knitting needle set but Denise--my question is--with every other set, as I am knitting the needles unscrew themselves and come apart and I have to stop, gather up all the dropped stitches, etc--I would buy a Denise set but am afraid this will happen all over again--I only use circular needles, but soon got tired of rescuing my dropped stitches and so vowed never to buy a multi-set again--has anybody else ever had this problem, if so, what did you do? I ended up taping the darn things together which is no solution because of the drag on the yarn. HELP!!!

Go to Top of Page

knitmanic
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2003 :  11:10:43 AM  Show Profile Send knitmanic a Private Message
Hi Just wanted to let you know I think the Denise needles are the best thing since sliced bread. I have had mine forever. I use mine as flexible single needle type. I bought some extra cords and made mine the length I wanted (a set of shorter ones)like you said it was easy. So glad I will be able to get replacement parts, GOOD LUCK!!!!
Connie

Go to Top of Page

PatT
New Pal

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2003 :  12:57:29 PM  Show Profile Send PatT a Private Message
I have the old Boye version of this kit, and I don't use them much because I mostly use smaller needle sizes. But what a kit like this is especially good for--that I haven't seen anyone else mention--is traveling. I always look for yarn shops when I travel, and it's then that I'm most likely to be tempted by bulkier yarns (especially spaced-dyed ones). Having a set of these needles on hand makes for instant plunging-in to a new project.

Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2003 :  1:43:09 PM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
quote:

I have been knitting for about 40 years--in that time I have bought and used just about every brand of knitting needle set but Denise--my question is--with every other set, as I am knitting the needles unscrew themselves and come apart and I have to stop, gather up all the dropped stitches, etc--I would buy a Denise set but am afraid this will happen all over again--I only use circular needles, but soon got tired of rescuing my dropped stitches and so vowed never to buy a multi-set again--has anybody else ever had this problem, if so, what did you do? I ended up taping the darn things together which is no solution because of the drag on the yarn. HELP!!!

Magikaat, I've not used my set extensively, but based on what my mechanical engineer husband has said, I should have saved the money that I spent on the Boye Needlemaster set and bought two Denise sets! He said it makes sense that eventually the Boye's come undone; the action of knitting actually causes the tips to unscrew from the cables. I'd have him tighten them when they loosened (luckily, I could actually feel that they were coming loose before they let go)then, I wouldn't be able to get them apart again! I'd have to wait for him to come home to loosen them. Guess I shoulda had my spinach that day!

The Denise set isn't screwed in--it clicks into place. I wish I could think of something else in common use that works the same way to give you a comparison to how different the Denise connection is. Suffice it to say, DH said that he doubted they'd ever come undone, after which he said "Good thing, too. I got tired of re-tightening the others!" Sigh.

chris

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

MissPooh
Angel

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2003 :  2:42:05 PM  Show Profile Send MissPooh a Private Message
I got my Denise Interchangeable Needles for Christmas (DH did wrap them and put them under the tree!) and absolutely love them. I met Linda Krag at the Montpelier (VA) Fall Fiber Festival. She had a demo kit and when I found out the kits were available I ordered. The service was really fast, even during the holidays.

The points don't come off because they click into place. It is a great piece of engineering! I have the Plymouth Bamboo Sisters needle set that screws together and I like them, but not as much as I like the Denise. The bamboos tend to unscrew, but the Denise never have.

Nobody has mentioned the reward for telling a friend. There was a card in my needle set that I could photocopy to give friends. For the referral I could get a set of needle points or cord (my choice of size) by filling in the appropriate information. The day my friend got her needles, I got my points! This was a nice bonus that makes me love my Denise set and carry referral cards with me in the kit.

Mary Lou
Go to Top of Page

jkrag
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2003 :  12:13:56 PM  Show Profile Send jkrag a Private Message
quote:

Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2003 :  7:58:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
I was interested to see these, as I never have. The set looks very appealing, but I have inherited several sets of needles recently, and am not tempted to buy. Still, I visited the website and notice that a LYS here in Calgary carries them. I may be able to get over there in a few weeks, so will be sure to have a look.

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
Go to Top of Page

Mermaid Knits
Permanent Resident

USA
1129 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2003 :  03:02:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mermaid Knits's Homepage Send Mermaid Knits a Private Message
Hi;
Great news that the Denise needles live on! Good luck. I happen to own the Susan Bates interchangeable set and I need to get my hands on extra cables. Does anyone have the contact info for this? I tried writing them, Susan Bates, a few years back, not aware that it was sold. Did not get a reply or the help needed. Now I know why!
A couple of the cables broke right at the tiny metal screw. I was able to trim it down with an exacto and glue it back in. I think I had to heat up the metal to melt out the remaing stub. That wound up being a temporary fix. Aside from the actual breakage, I must say that the metal join from cable to needle is extremely finely tooled and I never snag on it while knitting.
I just got finished reading the recent airline travel posts and I always take my Susan Bates on air travel carryon. Never have had them taken away. I average 15 return trips per year, mostly within Canada, but last year there were two trips to Arizona! I normally will take the thinner needles, which are really bendy and couldn't poke a hole in Plastic Wrap!!!.... well..... but no security person has even looked into the bag for them, so they must not show up on the xray. Plus, I always make sure to have some fraction of the project knit up already and on the needles.
Bye for now, Jurate

Go to Top of Page

teripittman
New Pal

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2003 :  05:36:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit teripittman's Homepage Send teripittman a Private Message
I've been knitting since the 60s, so I have tried every needle out there. I had a visit by a spinning friend and actually got to SEE a Denise needle. That's when I had to have a set. If you could see them, you would buy them in a heartbeat.

The join is absolutely perfect. It doesn't snag. The needles are resin now, not plastic, and are warm and lightweight. They are lighter than bamboo circulars. They have nice points, the kind that let you dig into a reluctant stitch. It's not as curved as a Balene, but is definitely not blunt. I was working on a shawl, when my kit arrived, using a Clover bamboo circular. The work was catching on the join and making me crazy. I switched over to the Denise and it was a huge improvement.

Here's something else that you can do with them: when you're working on a big piece like a shawl and want to see how it's turning out, just add another cord to the piece. I'm using a 14" and 12" cord for this, but added in a 20" cord, so I could get a better idea of what it looks like. On the next row, it was easy to remove that extra cord.

The only thing missing, for me, are the smaller sized needles and I will definitely buy a set of them, whenever they come out. In fact, I will probably buy a second set of these at some time. These are really wonderful tools and have my highest recommendation. Get a set of these and do away with the tangle of circulars and save a bundle in the process.

new and improved!
http://www.xws.com/terispage/
Go to Top of Page

teripittman
New Pal

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2003 :  05:36:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit teripittman's Homepage Send teripittman a Private Message
I've been knitting since the 60s, so I have tried every needle out there. I had a visit by a spinning friend and actually got to SEE a Denise needle. That's when I had to have a set. If you could see them, you would buy them in a heartbeat.

The join is absolutely perfect. It doesn't snag. The needles are resin now, not plastic, and are warm and lightweight. They are lighter than bamboo circulars. They have nice points, the kind that let you dig into a reluctant stitch. It's not as curved as a Balene, but is definitely not blunt. I was working on a shawl, when my kit arrived, using a Clover bamboo circular. The work was catching on the join and making me crazy. I switched over to the Denise and it was a huge improvement.

Here's something else that you can do with them: when you're working on a big piece like a shawl and want to see how it's turning out, just add another cord to the piece. I'm using a 14" and 12" cord for this, but added in a 20" cord, so I could get a better idea of what it looks like. On the next row, it was easy to remove that extra cord.

The only thing missing, for me, are the smaller sized needles and I will definitely buy a set of them, whenever they come out. In fact, I will probably buy a second set of these at some time. These are really wonderful tools and have my highest recommendation. Get a set of these and do away with the tangle of circulars and save a bundle in the process.

new and improved!
Go to Top of Page

teripittman
New Pal

USA
15 Posts

new and improved!
Go to Top of Page

teripittman
New Pal

USA
15 Posts

new and improved!
Go to Top of Page

teripittman
New Pal

USA
15 Posts

new and improved!
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2003 :  8:17:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
I'm happy to report that after I posted the message entitled "I"m about ready to melt my Denises into fake dog pooh!", one of the new owners (I can't remember if it was Emily or Linda) wrote to tell me that the first run of "their" version of the needles had defective cables (no need to tell me!) that no yarn would slide on. They sent me a set of the new cables, which I received in just a couple of days.

I first used the new cables today - WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Now THIS is what I expected the Denises to be! So, while I may still make blue fake dog pooh out of the original cables, I'm very much relieved to discover that I can happily use my "new" set with joy. I'll be ordering additional joiners in the next couple of days.

Good job, Emily and Linda!!!

Lissa
You may be right - I may be crazy. But it just may be a lunatic you're looking for!
Billy Joel
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2003 :  8:17:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
I'm happy to report that after I posted the message entitled "I"m about ready to melt my Denises into fake dog pooh!", one of the new owners (I can't remember if it was Emily or Linda) wrote to tell me that the first run of "their" version of the needles had defective cables (no need to tell me!) that no yarn would slide on. They sent me a set of the new cables, which I received in just a couple of days.

I first used the new cables today - WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Now THIS is what I expected the Denises to be! So, while I may still make blue fake dog pooh out of the original cables, I'm very much relieved to discover that I can happily use my "new" set with joy. I'll be ordering additional joiners in the next couple of days.

Lissa
You may be right - I may be crazy. But it just may be a lunatic you're looking for!
Billy Joel
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Lissa
Billy Joel
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.