Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 KnitPicks yarn review here!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Busyhands
Permanent Resident

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2005 :  9:55:33 PM  Show Profile Send Busyhands a Private Message
Lisa, the Sock Garden I have been knitting with definately says 'handwash' on the label. It's too bad, I love the way it feels knit up but I just don't do handwash socks. So I am making gloves instead and they are lovely!
Lin
Go to Top of Page

grumperina
New Pal

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2005 :  9:58:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit grumperina's Homepage Send grumperina a Private Message
Your experience makes me a bit nervous. If I found two rips in one skein, and you found a knot, a split, and a slub (those are the worst, because sometimes I miss them as I'm rewinding the skeins)... is the yarn not that great quality? By the way, which KnitPicks yarn had this problem? And if it was one of the alpaca blends, do you do anything special to spit-splice? I find spit-splicing alpaca to be trickier than wool.

Thank you for appreciating my comments about Elegance versus Andean Silk. I know "trust me" doesn't mean much through a computer monitor, but trust me, if you are chosing between the two, go for the Elegance! I read the Knitter's Review review... review... :), and I think we think alike on this account.

And I really hope they don't raise their prices! Do you really think so? I better stock up...

Kathy

quote:
Originally posted by carpe diem

Rachel - Thank you so much for sharing this link! The blogger mentioned a few things I forgot to mention in response to Knitpicks' yarn survey - did anyone else get it?

1) I forgot to compliment them on the center pull strand neatly tucked under the label - very nice and don't know of any other mfg that does that and

2) I spit spliced 3x in the one hank I've knit so far - one knot; an almost complete splitting of plies; and an unwoven slub.

I appreciate her comments about the difference between Andean Silk (merino/alpaca/sil) and Elegance (baby alpaca/silk). I will patiently wait for Clara's review before purchasing either.

My personal opinion about the price is that I'm certain Knitpicks will eventually raise their prices, still cheaper the designer/brand labels, but as long as they maintain quality, I don't expect their volume to drop significantly by that time, and time will tell!

~ Lisa, Seattle

My knitting webpage: http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~vernovsk/knitting.htm
My knitting blog: http://grumperinacrafts.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Knitmama
Seriously Hooked

USA
682 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2005 :  01:08:49 AM  Show Profile Send Knitmama a Private Message
quote:
I'm sorry that it wasn't as thorough as Clara's. In my defense, although I knit A LOT, I only learned in July and there's just so much fiber expertise that one can get in such a short amount of time. Also, because I'm a graduate student on a limited income, I wasn't able to keep the Wool of the Andes and the Andean Silk - I just took pictures and wrote my impressions, I couldn't swatch.

Oh, it wasn't meant as a criticism! I'm sorry if it seemed that way. Clara's reviews are a big part of what she does here, and I KNOW I couldn't duplicate them. There's certainly no reason to think that you should, either. Your review was very helpful and wonderful. You don't need to review like Clara in order to get two thumbs up! This was great.

Rachel
[IMG]http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/knit.gif[/IMG]
Go to Top of Page

grumperina
New Pal

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2005 :  06:48:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit grumperina's Homepage Send grumperina a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Knitmama

Oh, it wasn't meant as a criticism! I'm sorry if it seemed that way. Clara's reviews are a big part of what she does here, and I KNOW I couldn't duplicate them. There's certainly no reason to think that you should, either. Your review was very helpful and wonderful. You don't need to review like Clara in order to get two thumbs up! This was great.

Absolutely no worries! And thank you all for checking it out and even leaving me comments, I couldn't be happier . I'm still in a bit of shock that my little baby review is being discussed here! I don't have any aspirations to write reviews like Clara (okay, just a little on the inside, but don't we all?), plus I was buying and testing the yarn for a very specific project, and paid attention to what mattered only to me.

Clara, if you're reading this, I have two questions. One, after you make a swatch and rub it against each other to check for fuzzing and pilling, how do you decide what's a reasonable amount? Is this something I'll know after I've knit for a bit longer? And two, I thought that rhubarb color of the merino was... weird... in the same way I think orange furniture from the 70s is weird - what did you think?

Edited because I'm still figuring out how to use this forum :).
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4403 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2005 :  07:23:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
Hi Grumperina! I was very happy to see your comments about these yarns - it's always helpful to have a second reality check from someone else to validate (or put into question) my impressions.

In answer to your first question, and I know this is an annoying answer but it's true - the more experience you have with different fibers, different fiber combinations, and different types of yarns (a loose worsted two-ply versus a loose woollen two-ply versus a moderately tight woollen four-ply versus a moderately tight worsted... you get the picture!), the better your instinct will be for what is "moderate wear" in a swatch.

For example, with a merino like Knit Picks' one, I'd totally expect pilling after a moderate amount of wear. As opposed to "early in the game," which I'd reserve for a more loosely spun two-ply or single-ply merino, where there are fewer plies to hold the fibers in place.

Meanwhile, the alpaca fibers pulled loose from my alpaca-bearing swatches rather easily -- a sign of weakness in the Knit Picks yarns, you ask? Well no, because all similar-spun alpaca yarns I've reviewed did the same thing. So in that case, it's a matter of innate fiber behavior as it manifests itself in a specific type of spin.

It sounds complicated, but it'll be second nature to you after a while.

And yes, the rhubarb color of the merino ended up being a bit more... electric than I would've liked. But I must confess that as I worked with it, the color grew on me. And I take comfort in the fact that Kelley is working on adding more colors to the line.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher

Here's the KR review of Knit Picks yarns!
Go to Top of Page

Yarnpants
Chatty Knitter

135 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2005 :  07:37:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Yarnpants's Homepage Send Yarnpants a Private Message
Clara, after reading your review, I now know what it sounds like when a yarn diet explodes. I hope Knit Picks can keep up with all of the new business they'll be getting!

Pop in and visit Stitchy McYarnpants!
Go to Top of Page

grumperina
New Pal

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2005 :  07:55:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit grumperina's Homepage Send grumperina a Private Message
Hi Clara,

Thanks for answering! I will just have to keep on knitting to figure out what yarns wear well and which don't. Until then, I can check your reviews! I look forward to your review of Malabrigo (sorry to be referring to another thread) because I was very surprised to see it compared to Manos. They are such different yarns, in my opinion.

I think the color selection of the Wool of the Andes and the Merino, as it stands now, is excellent, so I can only imagine how great it will be when Kelley will add more!

Thanks again,
Kathy

Go to Top of Page

carpe diem
Permanent Resident

1158 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2005 :  12:33:57 PM  Show Profile Send carpe diem a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by grumperina

Your experience makes me a bit nervous. If I found two rips in one skein, and you found a knot, a split, and a slub (those are the worst, because sometimes I miss them as I'm rewinding the skeins)... is the yarn not that great quality? By the way, which KnitPicks yarn had this problem? And if it was one of the alpaca blends, do you do anything special to spit-splice? I find spit-splicing alpaca to be trickier than wool.

Hi Kathy!
It was Sock Landscape Red Wood Forest.
I was initally disapponinted/nervous about my experience too, which I didn't notice while using my ball winder. BUT... because the price was so reasonable and my mindset going in was of "experimenting" with these yarns, my concern immediately went away when I saw how beautifully the spit splicing worked *and* the yarn is so, so yummy merino soft ! Drool.. drool...! I consider this to be a quality yarn at an exceptional value and plan on purchasing more! I also intend to call and let Knitpicks know, just in case, but haven't done it yet.

As far as the possibility of a price increase, I do... but also depends if they add more colors, fibers, supply & demand, trade laws, etc.

Currently plotting what project & color to knit in Elegance !

~ Lisa, Seattle
Go to Top of Page

grumperina
New Pal

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2005 :  08:31:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit grumperina's Homepage Send grumperina a Private Message
quote:

Hi Kathy!
It was Sock Landscape Red Wood Forest.
I was initally disapponinted/nervous about my experience too, which I didn't notice while using my ball winder. BUT... because the price was so reasonable and my mindset going in was of "experimenting" with these yarns, my concern immediately went away when I saw how beautifully the spit splicing worked *and* the yarn is so, so yummy merino soft ! Drool.. drool...! I consider this to be a quality yarn at an exceptional value and plan on purchasing more! I also intend to call and let Knitpicks know, just in case, but haven't done it yet.

As far as the possibility of a price increase, I do... but also depends if they add more colors, fibers, supply & demand, trade laws, etc.

Currently plotting what project & color to knit in Elegance !

~ Lisa, Seattle

Hi Lisa,

Ah, I see, the sock yarns! I haven't tried those yet. I typically like either solid-colored sock yarn, or very gently variegated because I like to add cables and lace, and too much color gets in the way. As of now, KnitPicks doesn't carry yarns like that, but maybe soon!

Good luck with the Elegance, it's very soft and would be great for all kinds of projects! I should also start planning some projects and stocking up on some yarn .

Kathy

Go to Top of Page

Milotis78
New Pal

Canada
49 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  10:13:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Milotis78's Homepage  Send Milotis78 a Yahoo! Message Send Milotis78 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by blazfglori

Hmmm....

Would the *Elegance* yarn be a good choice to use for a Clapotis?

If not, what is a good *easy on the checkbook* yarn to use for one?

Thanks!

~Lori

Proud Mama Of Gunnar & Trapper

I don't know if anyone has answered this already, I found this doing a google search ... Right now I'm making a Clapotis (by knitty) in KnitPicks Elegance yarn. I love how it's knitting up. :)

~Samantha~
Go to Top of Page

jewishfarmer
Warming Up

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2005 :  3:59:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit jewishfarmer's Homepage Send jewishfarmer a Private Message
Just a note, I just bought my second batch of andean silk. I liked the first, and was using it on something delicate that won't be washed much, so the fuzzing didn't bother me. But my new order, in two of their new colors, arrived and it seems slightly different - the spin seems a bit tighter, and it fuzzes a bit les as you knit it. The texture is slightly different as well, just as soft, but not quite as...slinky. I'm thinking that maybe they are in the process of improving this. And frankly, I was impressed enough to order more, so I didn't think it was bad to begin with.

Sharon

Jewishfarmer
"Rats and roaches live under the laws of supply and demand; it is the privelege of human beings to live under the laws of justice and mercy" - Wendell Berry
www.casaubonsbook.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

tejer
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
410 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  6:49:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit tejer's Homepage Send tejer a Private Message
Does anyone have experience with the cashmere blends Panache (40% Baby Alpaca, 20% Cashmere, 20% Silk, 20% Extrafine Merino) and Ambrosia (80% Baby Alpaca, 20% Cashmere)? I am curious to know how Panache compares to Debbie Bliss cashmerino superchunky. And what both of these yarns feel like and how they wear.

My blog: http://kristijo.blogs.friendster.com/my_knitting_blog/
Go to Top of Page

Kiseichan
Warming Up

91 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2005 :  2:40:07 PM  Show Profile Send Kiseichan a Private Message
Well, someone did post a topic a bit below called something like "Just got my Knitpicks Panache", and they said they would've thought it was Debbie Bliss Cashmerino superchunky if it didn't have the label on it, and they seem to think it was really great. =)

I wonder if anyone's tried Decadence yet since I was thinking of using that for a Poncho. ><
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.64 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?