Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 How many sets of knitting needles do you have?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  5:00:17 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I have absolutely no idea, I have about 30 circulars in the circular solution and complete set of dpn's down to 0000 with duplicates of some and several bunches of straights plus all those that are mixed in with the yarn stashed everywhere.

fran

Go to Top of Page

Knittinit
Chatty Knitter

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  6:01:32 PM  Show Profile Send Knittinit a Private Message
Reading your replies to this topic made me realize how rich the manufacturers of needles are getting off of us. Maybe we should start share/swapping needles in our local knitting groups-just have to keep track of who has what. It's a good way to try different brands without committing to buying yet. Just a thought Brenda
Go to Top of Page

dragonmom
Seriously Hooked

USA
956 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  8:40:04 PM  Show Profile Send dragonmom a Private Message
i'm supposed to count?!?!?!?!?

all i can say is i've been accumulating for about 30 years (and crochet hooks, too) and on top of that, i ran across an auction of a gentleman who's wife had died, and he auctioned her stash and i bought 5 sotrage boxes of yarn, as well as a big box of needles/stitch holders/crochet hooks, and other knitting notions. i don't need to buy anything for a while!

of course, i did just buy my son his own pair of needles at walmart lastnight. they were the baleen II ones that fillyjonk was talking about. hope they work well. otherwise, i'll take them back and find something else that will work better for him.

Minnie

the world is knitted from one beautifully variegated skein and it's up to us not to drop a stitch.
http://dragonmadknitter.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sallie
New Pal

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  9:10:01 PM  Show Profile Send Sallie a Private Message
Gee, how many? about 6 or 8 long aluminum ones, about the same in Bates plastic circulars Sizes range 3 to 10. Then I haave started collecting Clover bamboos, DPN and circulars, mostly the smaller sizes according to yarn needs. Not all places around her have the Clover so I go a good 40 miles (round trip) to buy clover needles. Right now I'm on the look for 3 or 4's for sport weight yarn. The needles y'all have are new to me - Turbo? and another one, haven't heard of it either. Have been using Walmart/Kmart, dimes store yarn and needles. Glad I found you people, nice to have someone else interested in knitting! Sal

Sally
Go to Top of Page

Wovenflame
Seriously Hooked

Canada
812 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  11:16:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wovenflame's Homepage Send Wovenflame a Private Message
Last year I collected nearly every size of Addi Turbos.....but ALL in the 32"/80cm length. If I need to knit a smaller circumference I use the Magic Loop technique. Every time someone wanted to give me a gift, I asked for gift certificates to the LYS and then went and bought the Addi circulars.

Languishing in the basement are all my old straights, some of which are plastic, some metal. I no longer use straights, double points or shorter circulars....unless I desperately need a particular size that is already in use on another project.

-Marlene-
Come visit me at: http://wovenflame.blogspot.com/

"First is to shift the perception. If you learn to look at something differently, you will change it in an instant. The point of perception from which you view any situation determines your entire reality." - The Group
Go to Top of Page

sarakate
Seriously Hooked

USA
818 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2005 :  12:39:03 AM  Show Profile Send sarakate a Private Message
Marlene,

One of the things I carry around in the bottom of my knitting bag is a couple of baggies, each with a "learn to knit" kit -- a pair of straight needles, a smallish ball of smooth worsted-weight wool yarn in a nice clear color, some how-to-knit pages I've cut out of the back of knitting magazines, and a page I've printed up with all the LYSes in town and some helpful websites. That way, if I'm knitting in public and someone wistfully says they really wish they knew how to knit, I can give them a lesson if they're serious about wanting to learn, and then let them take this little practice kit with them. It's a great way to dispose of my straight needles, pair by pair, into appreciative hands!
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2005 :  07:19:32 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I'm afraid they didn't get much money from me. Most of my needles were purchased through Ebay and are used. I have given away literally hundreds to new knitters. If you are looking for needles, type knitting needles lot into their search engine but be sure you know their retail prices before bidding and don't forget to add in the shipping and insurance costs. I have bought as many as 170 needles at once for around $10, but prices vary a lot. Get them home and good washing and drying and rub them with waxed paper and you are ready to go.

fran
Go to Top of Page

Wovenflame
Seriously Hooked

Canada
812 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2005 :  10:06:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wovenflame's Homepage Send Wovenflame a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sarakate
One of the things I carry around in the bottom of my knitting bag is a couple of baggies, each with a "learn to knit" kit

Great idea sarakate. Unfortunately, one of the first things I teach new knitters is a love for circulars. LOL. But yes, that would not stop me from teaching casual observers on straights and then giving them away.

-Marlene-
Come visit me at: http://wovenflame.blogspot.com/

"First is to shift the perception. If you learn to look at something differently, you will change it in an instant. The point of perception from which you view any situation determines your entire reality." - The Group
Go to Top of Page

kknit
Chatty Knitter

126 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2005 :  10:28:45 AM  Show Profile Send kknit a Private Message
I really enjoyed this query and the responses. My husband, who is an amateur cook and wood-worker and a lover of tools of all kinds, has an apt saying: "You can never have too many tart pans or clamps." I have explained to him that the same applies to knitting needles.
Go to Top of Page

Dicksie
Permanent Resident

USA
1995 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2005 :  11:09:21 AM  Show Profile Send Dicksie a Private Message
One of my huge knitting guilt trips has just been eliminated! I can't begin to guess how many needles I have. I just know there are several holders filled to capacity. I started with the 8" DPs in the '50s (which are bent but still usable), graduated to aluminum straights in the '60s, discovered circs in the '70s. I have some nylon circs that are virtually "seamless". When Balene came out, I bought everything I could in DPs, straights, and circulars and still find them wonderful (I love the tapered points). They are particularly nice for new knitters - and I gave several to my daughter, who is "featured" in my "This just made my day" post. I was given a Denise set when I attended the Kaffe Fassett workshop about 15 years ago, and they are great when I don't quite have the size I want and need to swatch - then go buy the exact thing I want; also for traveling when I switch projects or buy something new. The workhorse in my inventory though is the Addi turbo. I use them pretty exclusively and have them in all sizes from 00 to 15 US and lengths from 12" (which I don't like - must learn to do the magic loop) to 32", with many duplications in the 24" (I'm a fair isle freak and sometimes have more than one going). I recently broke down and bought 3 Addi Naturas in sizes 6, 7, and 8. I'm quite impressed. I like the bamboo for slippery yarns, but find my gauge goes down about 1/2 stitch/4". I really like the suggestion of making up a little "new knitters kit". I'm going to suggest it to my LYS for the Fall "Knit Out".
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2005 :  11:12:51 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
I have one pair of straights, Brittany 4mm, one set of Brittany 3mm DPN, everyhting else is Addi. I don't want or need one in every size, so I have about 10 pairs of Addi.

"I firmly believe the Bible is the misinterpreted word of God." Mokey
Go to Top of Page

addicted
Chatty Knitter

132 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2005 :  12:50:05 PM  Show Profile Send addicted a Private Message
Wow - looking at all these responses.... you mean I didn't have to feel guilty about the 4th/5th/6th pairs of straights I inherited? When I found mom's tools box in my attic, I sorted thru, saved 2 pair of all the old various straights & gave away almost as many as I kept...

which means: 1 set of Susan Bates straights in a nice case (1-11s); maybe 20 other sets of straights in my grandmothers (?) needle case, about 30 circs (mostly my mom's Bolye & Susan Bates aluminum, + addis & bamboo that I've bought to fill in) stored in order on a hinged circular ring; DPNs i'm not sure cuz I've just started using them... for display only are the bone/ivory (?) pair of straights & set of DPNs that I found in a drawer of my great grandmonther's sewing chest (she was a professional seamstress).

Which brings up a different question: do you find your gauge is different on different types of needles?

- Nancy in Berkeley

Go to Top of Page

Mermaid Knits
Permanent Resident

USA
1129 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2005 :  5:21:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mermaid Knits's Homepage Send Mermaid Knits a Private Message
I inventoried my needles a few months back, listing them in a spreadsheet with each worksheet being a size. I believe it was 107 pairs/sets at that time. In all kinds. In all that collection I had only two pairs that had same size/length " sisters. Knitting seriously for about 25 years now, and you really do need a variety of lengths, points, make up , etc.

I have this chart on my handheld which is in my purse all the time. I can quickly check what I have at home. I never buy the same needle twice! When I had a lot less needles I had a little table in a booklet, in my purse.

Arctic-mermaid
Go to Top of Page

kellianne
Warming Up

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2005 :  6:02:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit kellianne's Homepage Send kellianne a Private Message
Wow, I have only been knitting for a couple of years, so I don't have nearly as many as a lot of you all! I have a couple sets of straight needles, three or four cheap metal circulars that I bought at Michael's or some such place when I first started knitting, two sets of dpns, and a Denise set. And a couple of circulars in sizes smaller than the ones in the Denise set. But that's all I've needed so far!

Those of you who have a lot of needles -- do you generally buy needles as the need arises for them, or do you specifically look for ones in sizes you don't have whether you need them or not?

http://www.ipsographic.com
Go to Top of Page

RachelKnitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2995 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2005 :  7:16:26 PM  Show Profile Send RachelKnitter a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by kellianne

Those of you who have a lot of needles -- do you generally buy needles as the need arises for them, or do you specifically look for ones in sizes you don't have whether you need them or not?

Well now, "need" is a strong word. I get ideas in my head....that my next project will be a pair of socks, or my next project will be x, y, or z, but by the time I've finished what I'm working on, I usually have a new idea, though I've already accumulated the necessities for all of the previous ideas too.
Go to Top of Page

Mermaid Knits
Permanent Resident

USA
1129 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2005 :  08:45:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mermaid Knits's Homepage Send Mermaid Knits a Private Message
I buy needles as I need them.
I do have interchangeable tip sets, which are my usual travel choices.
Arctic-mermaid
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2005 :  12:19:55 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I have bought "lot" of needles on Ebay in order to get one particular needle that was in the lot. If I could get all my needles in one place I doubt if I would ever need another one, but I am dependent on others to do things for me and sometimes I buy another needle because I get tired of waiting on others. I've put off projects as long as 6 months, just waiting. I will also pick up spares of the needles I use most often when they are on sale. I also give a lot of needles away. Sizing of needles is so variable between manufacturers that I doubt I could get along with just one manufacturer. I have 3 different sized "2's" in my set right now.

fran
Go to Top of Page

tamarabean
Chatty Knitter

149 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2005 :  2:39:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit tamarabean's Homepage Send tamarabean a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by kellianne

http://www.ipsographic.com

It depends on my finances. If I can splurge I'll look to get as many as I can in sizes/lengths/materials I want but don't have. If I have to pinch pennies(and that's most of the time) then I just get what I need for a particular project if I don't have it already.
Go to Top of Page

tamarabean
Chatty Knitter

149 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2005 :  2:43:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit tamarabean's Homepage Send tamarabean a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by addicted
Which brings up a different question: do you find your gauge is different on different types of needles?

- Nancy in Berkeley

I find that my gauge does change with different types of needles: I can get a gauge difference going from dpn's to circs and vice-versa, as well as getting a tighter guage overall on wood(bamboo, birch, rosewood) needles than on plastic, casein(ick they stink!), or metal. I prefer wood(specifically rosewood or bamboo, not too fond of birch)myself but I have a pair of Bryspun plastic size 2 dpn's that I LOVE).
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2005 :  5:56:22 PM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
I have sooooo many. I wouldn't even try to count them all. Mostly I have circs and DPN's. I started knitting 2 years ago on 14" straights and developed horrible Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Read here Circs can help that problem and found it to be true. So I don't even buy straights any longer unless they are just to put in the pretty vase in the livingroom. Otherwise, it's circs, now I'm getting all the Inox express in every size. I usually order a pair or two when I order yarn or I'm at my LYS. You can never have too many needles or tools for the craft in which you are obsessed!!!

Vicky (Queen O'Yarn archivist-QYA)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.69 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.