Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 How many sets of knitting needles do you have?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

ErinAmy
Chatty Knitter

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  09:00:49 AM  Show Profile Send ErinAmy a Private Message
I seem to have them coming out my ears all of a sudden! I started with Clover Bamboo in 5 sizes, then wanted Addi Turbos, so I have picked up 3 sets of those and added a couple of Inox along the way.....I have some old plastic ones and of coarse some old straight metal needles.....
Funny how I just can't get rid of any, but keep buying new ones!
I love the Addis!
Erin

fillyjonk
Permanent Resident

1127 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  09:18:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit fillyjonk's Homepage Send fillyjonk a Private Message
More than I can account for right now.

When I first got back into knitting, I thought the metal Susan Bates straights were all that was available (and the metal dpns for socks). Later, I discovered Brittany Birch dpns for socks, and bought a whole lot of them (I have sets in almost every size, from 0 up to 13).

Then I realized that in size 2 and smaller, I "bent" the wooden needles while I knit. So I bought some of the teflonned aluminum ones in size 1 (I think some of those were Susan Bates and some were Addis). And then I tried Pony Pearls (which I still really like).

And then, I started knitting big things like sweaters again. I read somewhere that circular needles made it easier to knit big things flat - no scrunching it up on a straight needle. So I've been gradually aquiring circulars as I need them for projects. I have most sizes now (needle diameters) but don't have all cable-lengths of all sizes. My favorites are the addi's but I've also a few bamboo ones and some of the Susan Bates silverados. (I don't like the other kind of Susan Bates ones, where there's a "kink" in the metal before it joins to the cable, those always feel awkward to me).

Lately, I've gotten more into knitting scarves again, so I bought myself a set of Crystalites to try out. I like them a lot for projects you would do on a short straight needle - they are very light and are neither too slippy nor too sticky. I've also got a couple of "Balene II" sets but have not tried them yet.

My favorites, though, are the Swallow Casein needles. They're hard to find and I'm not sure if they're still made - bought mine from Elann.

I also bought a short set of Bryspun dpns to try out for socks, and I really like those too.

I like trying out different materials and point-styles for needles which is why I have so many. I've given away some of my old aluminum Susan Bates and most of the Susan Bates circulars with the "kink" or "bend" in them because I don't care for them as much.

I have to add - I also have some inherited needles, even some that I think are Bakelite. A woman who goes to church with my mom knew I was an avid knitter, and when they emptied out her mother's house (her mom has Alzheimer's and had to go to a special care facility), she found a boxful of needles which she gave to me. There are lots of cool things in there - some wood needles that look handmade, and the Bakelite needles, and some nice short flexble plastic straight needles, and even a couple of the dpns left from one of those "liberty knitting" sets, where the needles were red, white, and blue.

I think of my mom's friend and her mother whenever I use the needles; the plastic straight needles (they're an older version of Susan Bates, I think) are absolutely wonderful for scarves. (I have a set of US 3's and US 6's).
Go to Top of Page

Crey
Seriously Hooked

827 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  09:19:43 AM  Show Profile Send Crey a Private Message
I have no idea! I inherited my Mom and my grandmother's needles so I have a huge box full of aluminum, bamboo, inox (my favorite), a couple of new addi turbos because I had to see what all the fuss was about, I have some cassein ones, some bakelite ones, zillions of double pointed (its a rare day when I knit with dp's and the colors match ) - I keep a vase with my favorites and the circulars are hung on the wall - I just gave away about 6 pair to my sister now that she has started knitting - The neighborhood comes to me when they need to borrow needles!! - Crey

"Water that is too pure has no fish." -Ts'ai Ken T'an
Go to Top of Page

KysKnitnMom
Permanent Resident

1050 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  09:21:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit KysKnitnMom's Homepage Send KysKnitnMom a Private Message
Erin I know what you mean! I can't quit buying needles either and I seem to think I need at least two sets of everything I use. After seeing your post I was curious to see how many sets I actually do have.... it's 35 sets of dpn, 30 circs, 20 straights. I'm sure that is nothing compared to someone who has knit for a long time. I'm on year number 2 and going strong. Once I graduate to actually knitting sweaters and such I'm sure I will have to buy even more needles! I love the Addis too!

Megann, in sunny San Diego.

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about....
Go to Top of Page

RachelKnitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2995 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  09:22:48 AM  Show Profile Send RachelKnitter a Private Message
Well, let's see, there's the dozen or so pairs of long straights that I got in a lot on ebay when I first started knitting, before I realized how much more comfortable circs are. Then I got my Denise set. Then I got a bunch of different size dpns. Then I got Addis in the smaller sizes for knitting socks on two circs. Then I got them in the small but longer sizes to knit socks magic loop. (I still haven't gotten around to knitting socks, but I have mastered the magic loop!) Then my SIL just gave me some size 10 straights made from bone(don't know if I'm touched or creeped out yet). And I just got a set of bamboo interchangeables from Webs. Now that I love these, I'm already plotting Addi Natura purchases to use for smaller sizes, since I really don't like using the metal ones. So where does that leave us? I'm afraid to count.
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  09:32:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
No way I'm going to count but I have a duffle bag filled with needle rolls and smaller duffles all of which are filled with needles. I love to buy needles and I never part with the older ones.

GFTC of NYC
Go to Top of Page

knit_cookie
Gabber Extraordinaire

388 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  09:54:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit knit_cookie's Homepage Send knit_cookie a Private Message
Hrm. I actually know this off the top of my head, strangely. I have dpns in sizes 0, 2-9 with duplicate sets of 2's and 3's. 24 or 29" circulars in sizes 1-10.5. Straights in sizes 3,4, and 7-15. And a couple other random sized things like sizes 6 & 10.5 16" circulars. I'm starting to really like Addi's though. But probably not enough too buy duplicate sets of circulars just yet. I'd rather spend that money on yarn!
Go to Top of Page

kekokat
Seriously Hooked

USA
845 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  10:00:08 AM  Show Profile Send kekokat a Private Message
I have no idea how many I have. Tons. This is funny for those of use who have multiple WIP . . . I was at a yarn store with a friend and she asked the proprietor how he stores his circular needles. His response, "On a project!"
Go to Top of Page

franna724
Seriously Hooked

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  10:03:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit franna724's Homepage Send franna724 a Private Message
Wow, I wish I had so many needles. My budget allows me only to purchase as needed, and I've only be knitting for about six months. Right now I have six pairs of metal straights, one pair bamboo dpns, and one metal circular. I do plan on expanding my collection as I get more experienced, but what I have right now is sufficient to accomplish my current knitting goals.

Anna
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4379 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  10:51:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
Anna, just wait till you've been knitting for 25 years! I have at least 60 pairs/sets (all types, sizes, etc.), plus a Denise set, and I know that there are many more that I haven't inventoried yet! Just this morning I was figuring out which sizes of sock needles I'd like to get extra sets of.

Jane

"Books are where things are explained to you, life is where things aren't and I'm not surprised that some people prefer books." Julian Barnes
My album: http://mysite.verizon.net/vzenu0u9/
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  11:16:25 AM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by kekokat

I have no idea how many I have. Tons. This is funny for those of use who have multiple WIP . . . I was at a yarn store with a friend and she asked the proprietor how he stores his circular needles. His response, "On a project!"

That was too funny and very a True Fact!

M L
Go to Top of Page

sarakate
Seriously Hooked

USA
818 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  11:29:26 AM  Show Profile Send sarakate a Private Message
I have tons, but almost all DPNs or circs; the only straights I have left are two aluminum pairs and three bamboo pairs from when I first re-started knitting as an adult, and I'm gradually giving those away to friends I've taught to knit.

I've got DPNs in every size from 1 to 9, 11s, 13s, and 15s, and I've got multiple sets in 1 through 3, so I can do more than one sock at a time.

I've got circs in every size from 1 to 10.5, and multiple lengths of most, although I tend to have a lot of 16" and 20"; I think I have 6 sets of size 8s, though, in every length from 16" to 40".

I store all the DPNs in a round case that was meant for holding a baby bottle, and all the circs are in their original packaging with a snap-open 3" ring stuck through the hanging slot in the package, to keep them all neatly together.
Go to Top of Page

Lis S
Chatty Knitter

219 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  11:45:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lis S's Homepage  Send Lis S a Yahoo! Message Send Lis S a Private Message
I probably have 15 pairs of cheap, metal WalMart needles; 5 sets of bamboo, either circs or dpn; 3 Susan Bates; the Denise Set, and 5 Addi Turbos. I plan to keep adding to my Addi collection, since that's what seems to work best for me.

A

http://lisknits.typepad.com/the_world_of_lis/
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  11:53:40 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
KNITTING NEEDLES AND CROCHET HOOKS, you can't seem to have too many. I am just getting into lace weight, so I had to go out and buy 4 sets of 2 & 3 and then I wanted to start a project for my gs and the project calls for 10 1/2 and I don't have or can't find. I told my dh that I needed to buy another one and he was floored. As I am fond of saying I have 137 sets of knitting needles and crochet hooks and yet I never have the size I need when I start a new project. What is that about. Except for the ones on wip I have homes for all my needles, but when I go to find what I need they are not there.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  11:57:46 AM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message
Needle Mania... hmmmm...*coughs* I gave away many long straight sweater needles to the DD's, but still have every size from 1's up to size 15, plus 18 circular needles of all sizes and lengths, yes, including the ubiquitous LONG Addi Turbos bought for and tried once for socks(2). Some of the circs are on loan to DD's..but they won't come back I'm sure.

Sock knitting DPN's are at three full sets of tinier sizes- 00-3, when the new order gets here- and one set, each, of bamboo and metal of the larger sizes up to size the size 10 clunkers which were once needed for a frenzy of Christmas stocking making. I store the straight sweater needles in a sewing machine drawer, the circs in pencil boxes, and the DPN's are in capped cylanders. I don't think there is another knitting needle I'll ever need. My Gosh I hope there isn't another one. I have a lot because I worked in a LYS and bought all the balene's as they came out, plus whatever else that appeared. Don't ask me, please, about the yarns.

lella

http://zippiknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Renocat
Permanent Resident

1327 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  12:03:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Renocat's Homepage Send Renocat a Private Message
I just started knitting and have made a few scarfs, a hat and a sweater and they all needed differently sized needles. The sweater needed size 8 circs in 40" 29" and 16". I thought man these things are expensive. Then I discovered the Denise interchangeable knitting needle set. You get sizes 5-15 tips that connect to flexible cables. The cables can either be used as circs or as flexible straigt needles. I have used these for a few weeks and love them. There are also ends that can get put on the end of the cables to make stitch holders without having to slip the stitches off.

So I am mostly set for circs..I need to get some DPN's but now I feel like I won't be constantly buying needles just to go up or down a size.

If you want to check out the Denise needles the web site is http://www.knitdenise.com/
Go to Top of Page

jade
Permanent Resident

USA
1543 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  1:15:00 PM  Show Profile Send jade a Private Message
I'm never going to count them, otherwise I'd couldn't buy more could I? I have dps inherited from my mother in sizes 0000 in the days when she knitted lace before I was born, to a vast collection of circulars, in single needles and interchangeable sets. They're mostly stored in a big orange tool box in my stash room, but I find needles everywhere.

Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

tamarabean
Chatty Knitter

149 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  1:48:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit tamarabean's Homepage Send tamarabean a Private Message
I've got a set of DPNS in various materials, all the way from size 0 to size 10.5. a set of Denise Needles and the extra 52" cord you can buy seperately(got it from Elann.com), metal, bamboo, and some plastic straights in sizes 4,5,6,7,8,9,10(maybe 10.5 but not sure). And addi turbo circs sizes 1,2,3,4,5,(maybe 6, not sure),7,8,11, and 13, in various lengths, most of them 40" to do the magic loop. And an Inox size one, 32 inches. and that's just knitting. You won't believe the crochet hooks I have!!
Go to Top of Page

CPAknit
Seriously Hooked

USA
738 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  2:03:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit CPAknit's Homepage Send CPAknit a Private Message
I don't know- but I'm starting to lose track of how many cases I have to hold my knitting needles!!!

Cindy
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  3:41:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
How many needles do I have?
Not enough!

There's always a project here or there that calls for needles that I don't have!

-Wendy

He has filled them with skill to do all kinds of work as craftsmen, designers, embroiderers in blue, purple and scarlet yarn and fine linen, and weavers-all of them master craftsmen and designers.
--Exodus 35:35
Go to Top of Page

Molly C
Seriously Hooked

USA
884 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  3:54:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Molly C's Homepage Send Molly C a Private Message
Let's see, I have one set of Addi Turbos in every size from 0 to 11, plus an extra 0, and sets of 13s and 19s. I also have the Denise set, which I use infrequently but would not give up. Actually my size 4 circular is an Inox, and I will likely replace it with an Addi at some point because I really dislike the join.

I also have a zillion straights and metal dpns that I inherited from my grandmother plus some miscellaneous metal straights and bamboo dpns/circulars that I bought when I first started knitting that I now no longer use due to my love for Addis.

For the most part, I purchased my collection of Addis for specific projects, so it's not like I went out and bought them all in one day. And a couple of times I bought two sizes at one time because I didn't know how my yarn would swatch and I did not return the unneeded size because I figure I'll need it at some point.

ETA: I guess I should have said I have every size Addi from 0 to 13, because I've never seen a size 12! Duh!

Molly
Visit my new home: http://knittingmolly.typepad.com

Have a blog? Join the KR Webring and share your blog with the rest of the group! Click here.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?