Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Hand Lotion Preference
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

psy
New Pal

24 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  2:32:03 PM  Show Profile Send psy a Private Message
Cocoa Butter lotion when I am at work and Hempz lotion when I am at home. My sister bought me a large bottle of Hempz for cheap for Christmas.
Go to Top of Page

busygirl
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
1673 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  2:49:11 PM  Show Profile Send busygirl a Private Message

I use either Vaseline Intensive Care Hand & Nail Cream, or Dove Conditioning Hand Care; they are both easily absorbed,and don't leave the skin feeling greasy.The liquid soap in the ladies' room at work tends to dry my hands out, so I go through quite a lot of hand lotion.

Leslie
Go to Top of Page

crise
Chatty Knitter

337 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  3:13:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit crise's Homepage Send crise a Private Message
My newest favorite, is a shea butter lotion from bath and body works. However, it was part of last season's product line, so it is being discontinued. It absorbs pretty quickly and is great for my dry hands.

I've also found that using a facial quality exfoliator on my hands REALLY helps.

Kris
Go to Top of Page

sanesi
Chatty Knitter

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  3:39:44 PM  Show Profile Send sanesi a Private Message
Has anyone tried Knitters Little Helper Hand Balm? It looks interesting, but don't know much about it. What do you all think?

My new blog: http://paintpurl.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

kellianne
Warming Up

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  5:09:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit kellianne's Homepage Send kellianne a Private Message
I also use the Neutrogena handcream -- maybe I just have really dry hands in the wintertime, but I have never found it to be too greasy when knitting as long as I just use a little. The exfoliation really does help too, like Kris said above. I use the Mary Kay Satin Hands kit, which has an exfoliatior and is pricey but works wonders.

http://www.ipsographic.com
Go to Top of Page

Marie E
Chatty Knitter

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  5:13:12 PM  Show Profile Send Marie E a Private Message
I've tried Knitters Little Helper Hand Balm. I thought it didn't absorb well. Works great as a night cream for hands. Not crazy about the smell.

Marie E in NC
Go to Top of Page

Ruby Plaid
Seriously Hooked

USA
661 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  8:18:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ruby Plaid's Homepage Send Ruby Plaid a Private Message
Ha! I also use Udderly SMOOth that I buy at Trader Joe's! Yes, HoJo, gotta love that store!

The price is right, and it does a great job. I use it all summer long on my feet as well, since it's sandal season!

http://www.geocities.com/hotelcrafty
Go to Top of Page

dragonmom
Seriously Hooked

USA
956 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  9:15:32 PM  Show Profile Send dragonmom a Private Message
my problem isn't so much dry hands as dry feet. i can't sleep with socks on, cuz i wake up in the night with my feet too hot, and can't go back to sleep, so i can't do the vaseline trick. i've tried doing it during the day, and it doens't work as well. i don't know what else to do for my poor feet. i exfoliate, and buff, and use scrubs, and creams, etc, but i still have dry, itchy, peeling feet. and it's not athlete's foot, i verified that with the doctor. just very dry skin, sigh. anybody got any good ideas?
Minnie

the world is knitted from one beautifully variegated skein and it's up to us not to drop a stitch.
http://dragonmadknitter.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

argoknit
Seriously Hooked

USA
711 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  9:41:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit argoknit's Homepage Send argoknit a Private Message
I too use the Neutrogena and don't find it too greasy. My hands get so dry they crack in the winter. Gotta love cold, dry Minnesota winters.

argoknit

I'd rather be a failure at something I enjoy, than a success at something I hate. —George Burns
Go to Top of Page

Yarnalicious
Chatty Knitter

104 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  9:55:29 PM  Show Profile Send Yarnalicious a Private Message
I am a big Burts Bees fan. They have a Shea butter hand cream that is very nice.

Shelley
Go to Top of Page

blazfglori
Permanent Resident

USA
1333 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  04:19:58 AM  Show Profile Send blazfglori a Private Message
I use either Nivea Soft or Neutrogena *Norwegian Forumula* hand creams.

I can't use the Aveeno...it makes my hands burn and break out.

~Lori

Proud Mama Of Gunnar & Trapper
Go to Top of Page

BlueStocking
Sustaining Member

USA
945 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  07:14:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit BlueStocking's Homepage Send BlueStocking a Private Message
I have constant problems keeping my hands moisturized while working with dyeing and hot scouring fleece. I've been using a new product designed by Elaine Benfatto, an amazing fiber artist who recently started her own line of hand and fiber care products:

http://handworkproducts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

It's wonderful stuff ... I especially like the Olive and Sugar Hand Polish, following by the Balm. Nothing beats the Polish for getting rid of the little dry flakes that can catch on yarns and fibers.

The others I use are Gloves in a Bottle, and Burts Bees Carrot Lotion (love how this smells, too).

Jen

"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?"

Yarns and Rare Spinning Fibers from Spirit Trail Fiberworks: http://www.spirit-trail.net
Blog: http://TheSpiritTrail.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

pattiw
Chatty Knitter

USA
199 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  07:55:41 AM  Show Profile Send pattiw a Private Message
Minnie, I had the same problem with my feet. Podiatrist's Secret Total Foot Recovery Cream is amazing. They suggest using it at night with socks, but I just put it on in the morning and it still works better than anything I have ever tried before, including vaseline with socks overnight. Got mine from FootSmart... http://www.footsmart.com/ProductList.aspx?brandId=114&srccode=IAK8072B&cm_ven=goog&cm_cat=FH&cm_ite=podiatrist's_secret>se=goog>kw=podiatrist's+secret&src=FSpaid

Patti

I'm not always perfect, but I am always me.
Go to Top of Page

argoknit
Seriously Hooked

USA
711 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  2:57:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit argoknit's Homepage Send argoknit a Private Message
Jen -
I just checked out the Handwork Products website and her products look great. Based on your endorsement I may have to try the polish and the balm. My hands get so cracked in the winter that I can't keep up with the lotion.

argoknit

I'd rather be a failure at something I enjoy, than a success at something I hate. —George Burns
Go to Top of Page

frenetic@charter.net
Permanent Resident

1386 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  4:57:51 PM  Show Profile Send frenetic@charter.net a Private Message
I am also going to try Handworks Products. Everyone seems to recommend using a product containing shea butter, and this does. Also, it is reasonably priced. Thanks everyone!
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

Corvapriya
New Pal

16 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  7:03:20 PM  Show Profile Send Corvapriya a Private Message
I'm a huge fan of Clinique's Water Therapy Moisture Glove -- it's water-based and the closest thing to fragrance-less that I've ever found. So if I ever accidentally get some on my wool, it's neither greasy nor smelly. I'll admit it's a little more expensive but I find it goes a longer way than Nivea and some of the others.
Go to Top of Page

PatriciaS
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
537 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  8:58:49 PM  Show Profile Send PatriciaS a Private Message
Sopme very interesting suggestions; I'll have to bookmark this thread.

I've rarely had problems with dry hands, but this year when the temp dips much below freezing, I suddenly have had VERy dry hands. Horrible, and discouraging. I've tried a number of different things I had around here with not very encouraging results. The BEST was an inexpensive ($1 or $2 a rube) Aloe gel from GNC. It's the only thing that applied at night before bed improved my hands, and the effect lasted for more than 24 hours (sometimes days), not just a few hours. Can't beat that price. I'll have to go back for some more. This is something I want to keep on hand. I've used it for other things as well, with good results.
Go to Top of Page

catsrule
New Pal

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2005 :  10:01:46 AM  Show Profile Send catsrule a Private Message
Lansinoh - lanolin processed to prevent going rancid. Used by breast feeding mothers. I have always used it for my gardening abused hands. Expensive compared to most but serious stuff. They make a less serious hand cream. Pharmacy will order 2 oz. of Lansinoh but can buy bigger size online > google Lansinoh
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2005 :  10:07:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
I am a Clarins hand cream woman. (Thanks be to Milinda for introducing me to this fabulous product.) Approx $25 for 100 ml, this cream really does make your hands softer and your nails stronger. It absorbs quickly, and a tiny amount lasts forever. I was sent this as a gift from Milinda for Valentine's Day last year and although I use it at least once a day (usually twice), I still have much of the tube left.

This is the product. http://us.clarins.com/main.cfm?prodID=74

I must say, as a side note, that Clarins products are worth their prices. My moisturizer is $55 but the jar lasts approx 9 months, and I use it twice a day.

Amanda

“There is more than one way to burn a book. And the world is full of people running about with lit matches." Ray Bradbury
Go to Top of Page

Kelly B
Permanent Resident

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2005 :  2:30:34 PM  Show Profile Send Kelly B a Private Message
I used Vaseline Intensive Care on my 5 year old's hands yesterday and a few moments later her hands turned flaming red and she began screaming that they were burning. She does fine with Eucerin and Neutrogena. Any clue what ingredient might be the problem (so I can look out for it in sunscreens etc)?

My album: http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=435997750203&page=1&sort_order=0
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?