Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Hand Lotion Preference
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

frenetic@charter.net
Permanent Resident

1386 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  06:25:33 AM  Show Profile Send frenetic@charter.net a Private Message
Last night I was knitting with some very soft yarn and my hands kept catching on it. This time of year my hands get quite scratchy. This led me to wonder if anyone has any miracle hand lotion they could recommend.
Sharon

homebodyknits
Seriously Hooked

USA
713 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  06:38:19 AM  Show Profile Send homebodyknits a Private Message
There are many good lotions out there. I think I have a different one in each of my bags and in different rooms of the house. I would just try them all and see which one suits you the best. The main thing is to use a lotion often! In front of me right now I have "Udderly Smooth Udder Cream". It is greaseless and stainless. I like it. Good Luck. Homebody Knits
Go to Top of Page

Ivynforestsmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

465 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  06:40:24 AM  Show Profile Send Ivynforestsmom a Private Message
Sharon,
Check out the discussion about Gloves in a Bottle.
http://www.knittersreview.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27535
Folks have been talking about the different types of lotion they prefer over there
Yvonne
Go to Top of Page

Knitmama
Seriously Hooked

USA
682 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  07:05:08 AM  Show Profile Send Knitmama a Private Message
I like the shea hand cream from L'Occitane and also Thymes Mandarin & Coriander hand cream. Both work way better than anything else I've ever tried.

Rachel
[IMG]http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/knit.gif[/IMG]
Go to Top of Page

SusanT
Seriously Hooked

950 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  07:10:31 AM  Show Profile Send SusanT a Private Message
Nivea Soft is good and inexpensive but my splurge lotion is a shea butter hand creme from Pre de Provence.
Go to Top of Page

shaggy
Permanent Resident

USA
4126 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  07:18:06 AM  Show Profile Send shaggy a Private Message
my all time favorite is good old

Corn Huskers Lotion

shaggy

Every day a peddler pulled his cart of wool from his home to the village market. It was a long trip. He had to travel around the perimeter of a large lake that was owned by the town tycoon, a modernday scrooge. One day during the winter the lake froze over. The peddler realized that he could cut off 2 miles from his trip if he crossed over the lake. He was spotted halfway across the lake by the tycoon. Scrooge came racing out of his mansion and screamed at the peddler, "Iíll be danged if I let anyone pull the wool over my ice!"
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4383 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  07:24:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
Aveeno Intense Relief Hand Cream here (waves a dry, itchy hand because the tube is empty -- must get to drugstore today)!

Jane

"Books are where things are explained to you, life is where things aren't and I'm not surprised that some people prefer books." Julian Barnes
My album: http://mysite.verizon.net/vzenu0u9/
Go to Top of Page

MomToTwo
Chatty Knitter

221 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  07:45:34 AM  Show Profile Send MomToTwo a Private Message
Hi Sharon,
Boy do I know the problem! When it isn't the dryness of winter, it is the gardening in summer that roughs my hands up.
I keep a big blue jar of Nivea at the office (handling paper strips all the oils right out of my skin), and at home I use a tube of Gardners Hand Therapy by Crabtree & Evelyn. I really like the stuff, it makes my hands feel so soft and smooth AND it seems to sink right in and not rub off onto other things. I really hate that greased up feel some hand creams give you.
-Zack
Go to Top of Page

kekokat
Seriously Hooked

USA
845 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  08:36:17 AM  Show Profile Send kekokat a Private Message
Palmers (brand) cream with cocoa butter. Comes in either squirt bottle or jar. Cheap and not greasy. Julie
Go to Top of Page

ErinAmy
Chatty Knitter

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  08:44:35 AM  Show Profile Send ErinAmy a Private Message
I make my own body butter with shea butter and jojoba oil, I also make shea butter body lotion in fun scents. It is the best I have ever used! Even helps cure excema! Let me know if you would like some, I love making it!
Erin
Go to Top of Page

qtpieknitter
Gabber Extraordinaire

Canada
583 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  08:55:08 AM  Show Profile Send qtpieknitter a Private Message
I have to second the Aveeno cream. It is the best, and living in the cold Canadian prairies, my hands are so dry, crack and bleed often, especially with a baby when you have to wash your hands all the time, I need something that works fast!
Go to Top of Page

Lelani
Permanent Resident

USA
2005 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  09:03:31 AM  Show Profile Send Lelani a Private Message
Gold Bond Ultimate hand and body lotion. Very pricey but so worth it!!!!!!!!!!

Lelani

"I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today." White
Go to Top of Page

amythyst69@aol.com
New Pal

17 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  09:18:11 AM  Show Profile Send amythyst69@aol.com a Private Message
I get the Aveeno intense relief as well. I think it works great even though it doesn't have Shea Butter which I can't use in my house due to the fact that my children are allergic to nuts and shea butter is from nuts.
Go to Top of Page

HoJo
Permanent Resident

USA
1474 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  09:58:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit HoJo's Homepage Send HoJo a Private Message
I just started using "Udderly Smooth Udder Cream" mentioned above. They have it fairly inexpensively at Trader Joe's (gotta love that place!). I really like it for keeping hands (and feet) smooth and not so dry.

HoJo

"Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, only backwards and in high heels." Faith Whittesley
Go to Top of Page

Molly C
Seriously Hooked

USA
884 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  10:17:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Molly C's Homepage Send Molly C a Private Message
I really like the Neutrogena Hand Cream; it works wonders when used on a regular basis. I do, find, however, that it is too thick and greasy to use while knitting, so I mostly use it at night, or if I'm in the car. KR member jennywhite sent me some Vaseline Intensive Care Healthy Hand Essentials in secret pal package that I like to use while knitting. It soaks in quickly and dries fast so that I can knit within minutes of applying it. I would definitely recommend it to knitters.

Thanks, Jenny!

Molly
Visit my new home: http://knittingmolly.typepad.com

Have a blog? Join the KR Webring and share your blog with the rest of the group! Click here.
Go to Top of Page

elizh
Permanent Resident

USA
1248 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  10:33:03 AM  Show Profile Send elizh a Private Message
I like Burt's Bees Lemon Butter Cuticle cream. It works well, smells great, a little goes a long way, and yarn slides through fingers just fine.
Go to Top of Page

Lis S
Chatty Knitter

219 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  11:55:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lis S's Homepage  Send Lis S a Yahoo! Message Send Lis S a Private Message
I'm a Burt's Bees fan. I love the Milk & Honey body lotion, which I use on my hands, too. I also use the banana hand cream and the carrot cream from there. The lemon cuticle stuff is nice, but it's kind of greasy and waxy, so I wouldn't use it right before knitting for fear that it would get all over the yarn. Regular old Vaseline Intensive Care lotion for very dry skin is nice too. It's not greasy and it has a nice clean smell.

A

http://lisknits.typepad.com/the_world_of_lis/
Go to Top of Page

franna724
Seriously Hooked

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  12:27:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit franna724's Homepage Send franna724 a Private Message
The hand lotion from the Aveda salon is the best! However, at $22 for a small tube, I'm glad my friend bought it for me for Christmas because I don't think I could spend that on lotion when I could buy some yarn. LOL

Anna
Go to Top of Page

zehava
Chatty Knitter

Canada
335 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  1:38:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit zehava's Homepage Send zehava a Private Message
i second the Palmer's cocoa butter formula. works and it smells so loverly!! :D (i use it everywhere i need lotioning, i love it)

-z
Go to Top of Page

frenetic@charter.net
Permanent Resident

1386 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  1:48:20 PM  Show Profile Send frenetic@charter.net a Private Message
I am loving this topic! I use Bert's Bees lotion right now, but find it doesn't do the trick. I think I will try the shea butter. I will have to order it online as we do not have any shops nearby that sell it. Thanks :)
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

TheNakedKnitter
Chatty Knitter

282 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  1:51:22 PM  Show Profile Send TheNakedKnitter a Private Message
Hello,

I really like Camille Beckman's Glycerine Hand Therapy. It keeps my hands smooth even after multiple hand washings. It comes in many scents, like lavendar & white lilac, but I like unscented best for knitting (especially men's items).

But every once in a while, my hands get so dry that I need intense therapy. That's when I use Eucerin Dry Skin Therapy Plus...

I did find that using a humidifier helps the skin retain more moisture - I use mine nightly and my lotions and have nice skin to show for it
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.97 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?