Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 On the Needles
 Need yarn thoughts!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sorka
Gabber Extraordinaire

486 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2005 :  08:00:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sorka's Homepage  Send Sorka a Yahoo! Message Send Sorka a Private Message
I am going to make a sweater similar to the Klaralund It of course calls for Noro Silk Garden.. I can't really swing that..
Can anyone tell me how it drapes and feels? Is it really heavy feeling.. I sort of like a drapey heany feeling garment.. I am not too set on the colour effects of the Noro.. so that aside any thoughts on type of yarn to use that is more.. shall we say affordable?
??? How does wool ease do? Sure I can feel it up in the store.. but that won't tell me how it feels once it is worked up!

Thanks ahead of time!
Denise

Oh yeah!! I have a Blog now! www.kwon.relatedhelp.com

RoseM
Permanent Resident

Canada
1898 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2005 :  11:42:46 AM  Show Profile Send RoseM a Private Message
Hi Denise,
I wouldn't call Silk Garden drapey for sure. If you do a search here (Klaralund and another for Noro) you'll get some people's opinion on SG and Kureyon.
Here's a yarn that would work and I really like it. Has some "gasp" acrylic in it, but if that doesn't bother you, have a look. It's so soft, wears well and a great price.
http://www.woolneedlework.com/Yarn/feeling.shtml
Many worsted weight yarns will sub for the SG - 18sts/4" on 7 or 8 U.S. needles.
HTH
Rose
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2005 :  11:43:59 AM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
I just finished a shawl in Silk Garden. The yarn feels a little coarse when you are knitting it but the fabric feels soft and even sfter after washing. The shawl was at a loose gauge and it's very drapey.

I've felt Woolease in the store and I've used the Thick and Quick for some big house socks. It feels pretty soft. I have not used the worsted or sport weight.

Anita

See my completed projects!
http://www.picturetrail.com/achrisvet
Go to Top of Page

Sorka
Gabber Extraordinaire

486 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2005 :  2:35:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sorka's Homepage  Send Sorka a Yahoo! Message Send Sorka a Private Message
I was looking around and ModA DeA sassy stripes looks really hopeful. That or getting some ofthe knit picks brand yarns and striping it myself,or just forgetting the stripes

It comes in a good deal somewhere..but you hve to get ten balls..which would be too much.. but.. I do have a daughter

Another concideration in this is that I am working this out to be a pattern for use on knitting boards so other people will want to get the same yarn.. so it has to be easily available.

On that note.. I was in Walmart looking for wool ease. And looking at the acrylics for that matter.. so .. an acrylic blend is just fine with me.
Denise

Go to Top of Page

Sorka
Gabber Extraordinaire

486 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2005 :  07:47:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sorka's Homepage  Send Sorka a Yahoo! Message Send Sorka a Private Message
Well I found my yarn! I got some Plymouth Encore colorspun in the Bright colorway.. it is nice and cheerful and bright! Not the cotton blend I was looking for in the end but It will work.

I felt the Noro at the LYS.. it was nice to see it.It does feel coarse.. does it really soften up in the end?
I sure didn't like the feel of it in the shop! I will have to see if anyone in my local group has anything knit up in it to see the difference!
Thanks for your ideas!
Denise

Go to Top of Page

levis_mama
Chatty Knitter

USA
188 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2005 :  11:53:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit levis_mama's Homepage Send levis_mama a Private Message
Yes, the SG does get softer with knitting and use. A couple of washes does wonders (makes the mohair settle down a little, imho) and my SG hats haven't pilled yet. My kids liked their hats immediateely and even more after I washed them. It has a nice drape when done, but similar to, but a little looser than, most worsted blends that I've worked with.

StephanieR
A priest, a rabbi, and a minister all walk into a stich-n-beach...
Go to Top of Page

Dicksie
Permanent Resident

USA
1995 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2005 :  5:21:20 PM  Show Profile Send Dicksie a Private Message
I knit a pullover with Silk Garden and thought it was a little coarse. Then I wet-blocked it, with a little cream rinse in the water and it absolutely bloomed. Very soft, nicely drapy. Will use it again.
Dicksie
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5190 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2005 :  06:10:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message
I made a silk garden hat this weekend and didn't find it coarse at all while I was knitting it. It had some vegetable matter in it, but that doesn't bother me. I haven't bothered to wash and block it yet, but I will tonight to see the change.

Sorka, let us see the klaralung-like sweater as it progresses! I'm thinking of making a solid-colored one sometime soon.

http://crazylaneas.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sorka
Gabber Extraordinaire

486 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2005 :  1:42:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sorka's Homepage  Send Sorka a Yahoo! Message Send Sorka a Private Message
Well I will be sure to keep you all posted.. I will be working the sweater up on a knitting loom/board so a little different that you all are used to!
I still have to finish shrinking the top of my other sleeveless sweater.. and decide whether it is going to remain sleeveless!
I am halfway done with fixing the top. I was planning on making an H2O hat to go with it.. that is if I have enough yarn left.. depending on the sleeve decision!

I will probably try something small in the SG.. would one ball be sufficient for a hat.. mabye a beanie style or a tam?

Thanks for your thoughts!
You can always check my progress on my blog!
Denise

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.59 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.