Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Completion Issues?
 Catch 22 - The Socks that Would Not Die
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2002 :  09:17:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
My first pair of socks took me about three weeks. So about three weeks before my father's mid-July birthday, I began knitting his gifts. We are now mid-October, and I'm not yet done. I did toe-up, two at a time, and I've got about two or three more inches up the leg before I can officially give in and say they're done. But now I've gotten to the point where I'm so angry that it's taken me so long to finish them (granted, my life certainly provided me extenuating circumstances) that I can barely stand to look at the darn things!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."

Clara
queen bee

USA
4398 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2002 :  09:25:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
I totally know what you're talking about. I have one pair in a similar state. The first sock is entirely done, the second one is more than half done. But I've procrastinated for so long that the second sock is now ridden with moth holes. Now I have two totally useless semi-socks.

Here's an odd idea that's probably too idealistic and not realistic enough, but...

Wouldn't it be great if you could swap such projects with someone else, so they finish your socks and you finish something of theirs that's of equal size? Instead of the normal yarn swap, you'd have an actual project swap.

This would be ideal for those projects you absolutely can't stand to look at anymore, yet they continue to nag at you. Obviously you'd have to be willing to take a slight gamble that your swap partner won't mess them up - but anything finished is better than being haunted by those socks, yes?

Just an idea. If you swapped with a retreat attendee, you could send them off now and get 'em back next month! (And in case you're wondering what the rest of my private little dream world is like, the weather is always a sunny 65 degrees, yarn hangs from trees, and Brittany sock needles never break.)

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

marnita
Chatty Knitter

USA
348 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2002 :  10:25:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit marnita's Homepage Send marnita a Private Message
I love that idea of project swapping in a theoretical sense. BUT, I am so personally tied to all of my projects that I would feel like I am abandoning them even if they went into the hands of a very trusted and capable knitter. I think I look at my projects like my children in a rather warped way.

Clara, I would love to join you in your dream world. It sounds fabulous there. Do you have a map?

http://marneysworld.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2002 :  11:41:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Clara, I think that's a great idea - we could even do it AT the retreat (I've this horrible vision of sending a project to someone whose guage is totally different from mine, and getting back an....interesting....FO)

Go to Top of Page

wildhorsefarmer
Permanent Resident

USA
1022 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2002 :  12:35:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit wildhorsefarmer's Homepage Send wildhorsefarmer a Private Message
Hi All,
I can identify with this,in a way.I have a large box full of single socks. Not your usual single-sock-syndrome...these are socks of my own design-done for the pattern photos. After designing them and knitting up the sample, usually done many, many times to get them "right" (and often in multiple color choices),I can't seem to make myself knit the second socks!
Never happens with socks I do not design.Now I have knitted many pairs of my designs as gifts,just can't do the second on the model sock.
I hear them calling to me every time I go to start a new project. I am now thinking that I may put them in a shadow box and hang them on the wall in my loft. Then, hopefully, I can "forget" about them.
Lisa in Oklahoma

Designs for hand knit socks...
New design-Three Bears Socks- written in three sizes,Mama Bear,Papa Bear,and Baby Bear.
http://www.wildhorsefarmdesigns.com

Photos of socks I have knit..
http://www.picturetrail.com/wildhorsefarmer
Go to Top of Page

linda-gail
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2002 :  1:08:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit linda-gail's Homepage Send linda-gail a Private Message
Lisa, I think you have to get together with some other one sock people and hand over your yarn and pattern for them to do the second one. You could trade with one another or just agree that the second sock knitter gets every 2nd or 3rd pair to keep!

Clara, I love your ideal world too. Could we have the night-time temperature drop down in the 40's so I can cuddle under a nice comforter?!

I don't have a problem with one sock of each pair, I just don't work as fast as I'd like. I am 2 or 3 "sock of the every other month club" kits behind! I am so anxious to get to each one, there aren't any I want to skip, either. It's a great way to sample yarns I might not have otherwise tried. Linda

Go to Top of Page

GreysMom2
Chatty Knitter

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2002 :  4:28:02 PM  Show Profile Send GreysMom2 a Private Message
Lisa

I love the shadow-box idea! I think it would be a lovely show-piece. And what a terrific way to showcase your talent as a knitter and designer!

I previously suffered from the one-sock-syndrome myself, when I first began knitting socks. My attention span was just long enough for one sock, then I lost interest in the yarn, color, pattern, whatever. Most of the socks were knit for my toddler son, so they were rather small. I now hang them on the Christmas tree and they make beautiful ornaments. My son really loves them, and I no longer feel guilty about not finishing the pair. I have even seen beautiful holiday wreaths that are just a normal wreath with socks attached.

Kim

Go to Top of Page

linda-gail
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2002 :  11:08:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit linda-gail's Homepage Send linda-gail a Private Message
Kim, that's a great idea!!! Linda

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2002 :  1:40:30 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Hhhhmmmmm.......a sprig of evergreen, a candy cane or two, and an ornament hook on the back......................

Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2309 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2002 :  08:49:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
Ooh, I like the shadow box and the ornament ideas for socks. I was also wondering how it would look to put the sock on one of those sock blocker(?) things and hang it on the wall?? I don't have any of them, I just knit the socks, and if they fit we wear them, wash them, hang them to dry and wear them again...I think the wreath idea or the tree ornament thing is a great idea, and maybe we could decorate them for different seasons or to match the decor in the room, too. I, so far, not boasting here, have only a couple of unfinished socks and they were just put aside for more pressing projects, or because I didn't need them till Nov. or Christmas for a gift. I try really hard to make myself finish socks, but I know there are some you just can't do that with! I did finish a pair for the Children in Common charity, using their pattern and they looked fat and goofy. My DGD, 3, was here when I finished them and she put them on her feet, and wore them home, never to be seen again. I don't mind, 'cause I didn't like them and she did! I will probably make more of those with MY favorite heel, and not the one they use. Barb

"OF ALL THE THINGS I HAVE LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST!"
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2002 :  10:41:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
The problem here is twofold for me:

1. I'm such an insane control freak I could never hand anything of mine over to someone else - even one MUCH better than me - because I just couldn't handle it.

2. This isn't even second-sock-syndrome. I've done them two at a time to avoid that, and I'm so far up on the legs, it's almost like having second sock syndrome hit just after doing the heel (toe-up). There's just such a little bit left to do, and it's just taking forever! It seems like I'm knitting slower than ever! ARGH!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2309 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2002 :  4:22:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
Lisa, I like your 3 bear's socks and I also like the way you have been including instructions for different weights of yarns! Barb

"OF ALL THE THINGS I HAVE LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST!"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.69 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?