Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Desert Island Stash
 My Deserted Island Stash
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chrisknits
New Pal

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2001 :  12:41:37 PM  Show Profile Send chrisknits a Private Message
I would normally say a Debbie Bliss book, but if I am the only one there I wouldn't need a book for little ones! So I would probably take book with stitch patterns. That way I could learn all the different patterns and make whatever i choose, i.e.-sweater, shawl, socks, etc.. Of course this is assuming I am profitiant in constructing my own designs!
For a yarn I would take a DK weight Cotton. that way I could make just about any pattern, Arans-on the lighter side, Lace-on the heavier side, and just about any textured pattern around. Since it is an Island I am assuming I am in a Tropical Paradise and need something lightwieght.
I can't remember what else we are supposed to take but I would take size 7 needles, a good average size. And if I could I would have Mel Gibson with me! Hey a girl can't knit 24 hours a day! With Mel I would have something to do for the 1 hour a day I wasn't knitting. ;)

Chris

Knitaholic
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2001 :  11:09:28 PM  Show Profile Send Knitaholic a Private Message
I would take waterproof yarn, and then I would knit a boat so i could use any book as a paddle and go home asap
Dinah

Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2001 :  05:29:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
Paddle home? abandon the opportunity to knit all day long with no telephones or budget meetings or auto repair apointments to interrupt? Well, not me. not for at least a year!

Of course, the Ocean container of yarn that washed up beside me on my desert island would have to be fully stocked! After all, if this is a fantasy i don't want to run out of fun.

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Forum Admin

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2001 :  4:08:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage Send Admin a Private Message
Ah, well this is where the island's native sheep and angora goats come in handy! Not to mention the spinning wheel you just happened to toss in that survival box. And did I mention that this island has special trees that produce nothing but coconut-sized chunks of dark chocolate? Mmmmm!

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2001 :  4:58:55 PM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
If I could only have one pattern book it would have to be the first Kaffe Fassett book Glorious Knitting, any needles from 5mm up and any wool as long as it was bright colours and preferably thick and hopefully I would finally master with the peace and quiet how to do the turn in the Star Coat - how to flip it over and end up with a coat not something that resembles marquee. Cheers Rose.

Rose Windman
Go to Top of Page

JVT
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2001 :  5:05:12 PM  Show Profile Send JVT a Private Message
I agree with Clara about the native sheep and goats being available on the island. Plus this being a fantasy my German angora rabbits made it as well in excellent shape. My survival kit included my spinning wheel, carders, etc, and my fishing pole. I would be thrilled at the chance to have time to be able to complete all the projects, spinning and knitting, that I have planned.

Go to Top of Page

KanDeeLee
New Pal

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2001 :  3:01:27 PM  Show Profile Send KanDeeLee a Private Message
AH! A truly sustainable sensual pleasure! As the aroma of clean fresh cut wool glides between my fingers, the locks unfold their crimp before me in the full light of a glorious tropical sky. All around me the windward breezes bring the sounds of crashing waves, the salt air and the occasional bleating of happy sheep peacefully grazing the mounds of green on the horizon. No other mind demands my attention; I am left to my thoughts that joyously delight in designing the perfect form for the wool now twisting into silvery strands of soft light that can be molded as needed. I will use my Bryspun needles, so like those used by my Grandmother; hand craved baleen, from the giants of the sea. Needles that never rust, nor warp and move to the warmth and rhythm of my hands. To bring my creation to climax, I will be sure to have at least one volume of Elizabeth Zimmerman's wit and wisdom to anchor my knitting in purposeful artistry. OHoooo.... Thank You, that was great fun! KanDeeLee

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Forum Admin

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2001 :  4:02:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage Send Admin a Private Message
Boy, you had me going! What a vision, complete with the bleating sheep.

You know, this makes me think that we should coordinate a knitting vacation. Not a tour, where you're shuttled from factory to museum on your air-conditioned motor coach, but a real vacation. One that simply gave people a chance to escape and relax and do nothing but knit.

Imagine indulging in an entire week on some island (one that isn't crawling with honeymooners and souvenir shops) with an unlimited supply of yarn (provided by the event leaders) and absolutely nothing to do but lounge around and knit to your heart's content? Perhaps we'd add a spa treatment or two, just to make things interesting? Do you think people would be interested, or would they want the normal workshops, lessons, classes, fashion shows, etc.?

Clara
Go to Top of Page

KanDeeLee
New Pal

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2001 :  10:08:58 PM  Show Profile Send KanDeeLee a Private Message
Well Clara, I was just invisioning such a vacation. It would be the opportunity to do what we love with others who love what we do! That wouldn't need a structured setting as much as an inspirational one that was affordable, safe and in a comfortable location were you could knit or spinn amidst a group or in isolation as the mood dictated. Have you ever been on a knitting retreat?

Go to Top of Page

NitWit
New Pal

19 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2001 :  04:12:36 AM  Show Profile Send NitWit a Private Message
I think a retreat to knit would be great! I would just like to sit and knit with someone else who enjoys knitting. And could maybe answer some of my questions when they pop up. Like could anyone tell me what Elizabeth Zimmerman is all about? I keep seeing the name and yet I have never seen any of her books. How is the different? C.

Go to Top of Page

tegakat
New Pal

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2001 :  08:06:59 AM  Show Profile Send tegakat a Private Message
Nitwit,

I think we should set a day that we just get together & knit, what do you think?

Tegakat

Go to Top of Page

gaelle
New Pal

Canada
16 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2001 :  10:51:56 AM  Show Profile Send gaelle a Private Message
I have no strong preferences for needles or yarn, but I would want to knit a raft!

Go to Top of Page

NitWit
New Pal

19 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2001 :  5:02:06 PM  Show Profile Send NitWit a Private Message
Tegakat- I think we need to finish Christmas stuff first. Then it would be a good idea. C.

Go to Top of Page

KathyDoughty
New Pal

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2001 :  11:18:36 AM  Show Profile Send KathyDoughty a Private Message
Hi NitWit!

Elizabeth Zimmerman is (or was: sadly, she passed away last year) *the* Grand Dame of knitting. Her book "Knitting without Tears" inspired a generation of knitters to "knit on with confidence and hope, through all crises", to not be tied up by (or frightened by) the pattern and to be mistress of their own knitting. She wrote a number of other books, all friendly, supportive, chatty, and full of really, really inovative patterns. Her daughter, Meg Swanson (who edited a Gathering of Lace, and shows up frequently in Knitters and Vogue) is an amazing designer in her own right, and her shop, Schoolhouse Press ( www.schoolhousepress.com ) carries all of Elizabeth's books, as well as her own, and lots of fun yarn and goodies. Also, videos of Elizabeth and Meg from a (I believe) PBS sponsered knitting show they ran for some time, where you can get a small taste of what made the two of them such forces in the knitting community (and makes you want to get up there and knit with them: what charming people!) Reading EZ's books was a real eye-opener for me. I really regret that I never got to meet her in person.

O.K., enough heroine-worship for one post!

Kathy in sunny Santa Barbara

Go to Top of Page

KanDeeLee
New Pal

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2001 :  12:26:29 PM  Show Profile Send KanDeeLee a Private Message
Thank You for the information on EZ. I have only one book of her's that I charish. I checked out the link to her site and can now enjoy many more hours with her wit & wisdom. Thank You so much for sharing your knowledge about a truly great knitter.

KanDeeLee

Go to Top of Page

tegakat
New Pal

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2001 :  06:50:00 AM  Show Profile Send tegakat a Private Message
Nitwit,

I agree, I'm not doing too good on the Christmas, kind of slow this year.

Talk to you soon.

Tegakat

Knit,knit,knit, just too stay on topic.

Go to Top of Page

Susan
New Pal

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2002 :  10:13:32 AM  Show Profile Send Susan a Private Message
I think if we're going to have a knitting vacation then I would very much like someone to help me learn how to knit faster! Or I won't be able to complete anything--and that would be tragic! Or maybe just the sharing would be good...I don't know anyone else who knits and it would be nice to sit and visit while I knit with someone who undersnands my passion.

Maybe someplace cool would be better for a vacation. I don't know about anyone else but I hate having my fingers get sweaty and make the yarn just slightly sticky when I knit in the summer!

It definitely sounds like it has possibilities--anyone up for some actual planning?

Susan Swiggers
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Forum Admin

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2002 :  3:34:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage Send Admin a Private Message
Susan, you're totally right about the cool weather. Who wants to work on a sweater when it's 80 degrees out?!

There are some significant logistical issues that have kept me from planning a retreat thus far, but now that I can chat with people about it in the forums, well, maybe I'll think about it some more!

For starters, we have geography to deal with. East coast? West coast? Midwest? The Congo?

Then we have time issues. Could people possibly take off an entire week for this? Or do we keep it short and sweet, perhaps a long weekend? And what time of year?

Then we have financial issues. Are people really interested in (and capable of) spending what it'd take to book a beautiful, secluded spot, attractive accommodations, quality teachers, and of course endless supplies of tea and cookies?

These are the questions that keep me up at night. Thoughts, anyone?

Clara
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2002 :  1:43:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Oh, I would LOVE a knitting vacation!!!

It should be someplace cool - temperature-wise, I mean - so we don't get sweaty knitting! And it would be neat to see yarn from sheep to sweater - maybe go to some sort of farm?

Perhaps you could do a poll of choices - if we were to do a weekend trip for say less than $100, or a week long trip for around $400, ror a full out pilgrimage overseas for $1000... I'm making complete guesses about the money here, sort of typing as I think... It's generally not all that difficult to get lots of group discounts - but we'd need LOTS of advance notice... maybe something that could be planned for summer 2003 or so...

I'd love to be involved!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

cast-on
Warming Up

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2002 :  3:02:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit cast-on's Homepage Send cast-on a Private Message
Count me in. If we had a "charter" flight, could we bring knitting on board the plane without the security hassle?

Go to Top of Page

FibersFan
Warming Up

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2002 :  4:10:25 PM  Show Profile Send FibersFan a Private Message
quote:

You know, this makes me think that we should coordinate a knitting vacation. Not a tour, where you're shuttled from factory to museum on your air-conditioned motor coach, but a real vacation. One that simply gave people a chance to escape and relax and do nothing but knit.

Several years ago I saw a 15- or 20-day cruise to New Zealand via Tahiti. Now THAT would be a perfect knitters vacation, particularly during the time of New Zealand's annual wool festival!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.66 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe