Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 On the Needles
 The ever growing "to do" list....
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rkilmer
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2005 :  7:05:19 PM  Show Profile  Send rkilmer a Yahoo! Message Send rkilmer a Private Message
I decided that in order to get myself on track and going in the right direction for the new year that I would take stock of EVERY SINGLE unfinished project. If there was EVER a worse idea, I sure haven't heard of it!!!!! I am fond of stating that, "finishing is just another item on my to do list". But seriously, if I don't start completing stuff soon - the catholic guilt I was raised with will overwhelm me and I'll never start another thing again. Problem is, starting is my favorite part. I love figuring it out, and then boredom sets in. Once I get it, I move on. Any suggestions?

twstdstchs
Chatty Knitter

178 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2005 :  10:18:25 PM  Show Profile Send twstdstchs a Private Message
Sorry I can't help you as I am in the same boat, sitting right next to you actually. Today, I decided to make a new resolution. Spend as much time actually knitting as I do on this forum, reading about knitting and shopping for knitting. I actually finished 2 projects last weekend, (sick kids!) I had such anxiety that I didnt have another project to work on. (no the 2 or 3 in the drawer from last summer don't count) My child went to school for the first time this week, and I have started three projects. One is a headband and almost done, a scarf, another scarf (that I read about here), and I think thats it.... Come to think of I never start just one. You know you need one for traveling, something portable. I think you can justify several WIPs. I am still in denial about my unfinished projects. Once I did take a finishing class and that helped a little. Also, I went to my local knitters guild meeting and felt much better after being diagnosed as a process knitter. The president gave a really good talk and she doesn't finish things either. Ok, I am going to start on my resolution! Good Luck, S.
Go to Top of Page

rkilmer
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2005 :  11:13:52 PM  Show Profile  Send rkilmer a Yahoo! Message Send rkilmer a Private Message
Thanks for commiserating. It feels better to know that I'm not alone at least. I also quilt. I know, I know...like I have time for 2 fiber loves! At any rate, I have a friend who decided to make a list of all the dreaded WIP's. She then proceeded to finish one at a time, with a goal of one a month. She said that once she started down the path, she was able to work a system that had her finishing far more than one a month. She had an amazingly productive year. I'm thinking that may be a good place to start.
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2005 :  12:51:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message
Me too. I need to finish a few things but there are SO many things waiting to be started....

Wen

2004 stats: 23 FO, 7 WIP, 5 frogpond.
http://photos.yahoo.com/whdayus
Go to Top of Page

anang310
Chatty Knitter

USA
208 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2005 :  08:30:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit anang310's Homepage Send anang310 a Private Message
There is a baby who will be a mother before she gets the sweater I knit for her, oh, in 2003. Thanks for reminding me. Perhaps I'll seam it (yes, that's all that's left) today.

http://www.anitaderouen.net/knitnut
Go to Top of Page

cats
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
503 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2005 :  08:40:31 AM  Show Profile Send cats a Private Message
That's why my New Year's resolution was that I needed to do 15 projects at least before I buy more yarn and then it can only be for a specific project. I then need to do 15 more projects before I can buy yarn without a specific project in mind. Yes, I have the yarn already for those 30 projects some are started but others aren't.

Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2005 :  08:49:24 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
I decided to make a list of wip & to dos and came up with 25. So with list in front of me I will knit my way through this yr and no yarn buying till so many projects are done. Have not come up with # yet, oh yes I also have a couple of quilts to make. Since we down sized it is important to go thru some of my stash.
I took my list to the KR Knitting Group, I think they were impressed with my list. So 2005 is a cleaning up the stash yr for me.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

Lu
Chatty Knitter

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2005 :  11:39:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lu's Homepage  Send Lu a Yahoo! Message Send Lu a Private Message
I have two lists on my blog, "On the needles" and "In the queue", to keep track of what I am supposed to work on and what I have planned to do next. But then I cheap because if I am away from the computer, I just tell myself "I don't remember" (liar) and off I go to yet another project. So I bought myself a knitting journal and I am going to write down my project there and always carry it with me. I may even list all my stash, but I am kind of scared ......

Work like you don't need the money
Love like you have never been hurt
Dance like nobody is watching

http://knit4ever.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

busygirl
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
1673 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2005 :  12:52:06 PM  Show Profile Send busygirl a Private Message

I haven't made a " to do " list in writing, but did decide that I would use up my stash ( which was quite small,anyway),before buying any new yarn.
During my leave over the Christmas holidays, I seamed a sweater, and then started a pullover, which I have since completed. I then went on to knit a shawl,which I finished last weekend; it went quickly,as I used a double strand of 8 ply yarn, on 10mm needles.I am currently working on a scarf, which is almost finished,and at the beginning of the week I started another pullover.
I feel quite a sense of acccomplishment; I know that one is meant to knit for pleasure and relaxation, but I always get a kick out of completing a project.
I am planning some new projects ; probably a couple of sweaters,and perhaps an Aran waistcoat or jacket.

Leslie
Go to Top of Page

dignitynaplomb
Chatty Knitter

259 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2005 :  2:30:34 PM  Show Profile Send dignitynaplomb a Private Message
I love the idea of a WIP & to do list. I'm almost afraid to see how long mine will be. I'm really great at starting projects then getting distracted by something new. I've promised my fiance I will not buy anymore yarn until i've got a decent amount of finished items done.

-Heather

http://sitnknit.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kekokat
Seriously Hooked

USA
845 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2005 :  7:41:11 PM  Show Profile Send kekokat a Private Message
rkilmer, here's my suggestion. Start teaching. Really. If you're one who likes to figure it out, likes the process part, likes seeing how that yarn looks doing such-and-such pattern, teaching may be it for you. I've been teaching (moonlighting) formallly at a shop, but also at my place of employment, and will be teaching at a kids day camp this summer. It's a great way to try stuff out, share it with others, and YOU DON"T HAVE TO FINISH IT if you don't want to. You just help others finish. Ahhhh, vicarious knitting. Think about it. (oP Julie
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2005 :  11:11:18 PM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
I am a GREAT starter, planner, caster on, and yarn buyer. I can't even guess how many projects I have on needles....I have alot of needles! I have recently been feeling pretty guilty about all the yarn and WIP's I have and how few finished projects I have. I even focused the last half of the year finishing projects. I can't say I'll finish so many before I can buy more yarn. Every time I do that I fail then feel so bad about my lack of will power...so I go buy more which usually makes me feel great! All I can say is I'm a process knitter and I love the knitting. I don't even have problems blocking etc. In fact it's fun. I need to stop worrying about this as long as I'm not hurting anyone and I keep paying my bills. I now know I can finish when I feel like it. So I'm going to try not to worry so much about my unfinished projects.

Vicky (Queen O'Yarn archivist-QYA)
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  06:46:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
I have gone from a one project at a time person to a one category of project at a time but I still have my WIPS under control for the moment.

Right now I have a baby sweater that I started 2 days ago and I am up to the sleeves, so that will be done over the weekend. I have a scarf that is my knitting-out-of-the-house project, a blanket that started as a baby blanket but I think I will keep going until I use up all the yarn which would make it a one person throw, socks that need the second toe to finish.

I had a black cardigan which I made and frogged once because it was too big. I reknit the front and back but not the sleeves but I frogged it again the other day because I just didn't want it and knew I would never finish it. So now the yarn gets added back into the endless stash. BTW, you can do a lot of frogging with Rowan All Seasons Cotton and the yarn looks fresh when you knit it again. I rewound the balls several times on a ball winder and that seems to do the trick.
Go to Top of Page

madams716
Chatty Knitter

USA
206 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  07:32:20 AM  Show Profile Send madams716 a Private Message
Oh, I feel so much better now about my unfinished socks, unfinished afghan, unfinished Christmas stockings . . . I do tend to finish anything that will be a gift (well almost - there is a hat . . . ), but it seems that anything I am making for myself falls to the wayside. I occassionally feel guilty when I remember these projects languishing in the closet, but apparently not guilty enough to unearth and finish them.

Mary
Go to Top of Page

Stitching Fool
Chatty Knitter

196 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  12:00:28 PM  Show Profile Send Stitching Fool a Private Message
Ok, I'm going to write this, then go back to work, yes work. I am a CPA and it is tax season, and all I want to do read here or knit (new to knitting so very excited)!!! Anyway, has anyone heard of the 12-step program? You spend 12 hours on a project before heading off to the next. I guess you could tailor it to less hours per wip since the person who told me this is a needlepointer which is a slower speed thing (my stash and wips has become out of control in that hobby---sure, so lets pick up knitting and do the same thing, right? no, I've learned my lesson) Anyway, its like one of the knitters before said about doing a certain amount of rows--you get it done eventually instead of never, and you can go about other projects without that guilt AND you'll feel GREAT when you actually finish one more item that you can announce to the world (or whoever cares, like us)

Have a good next 3 weeks, I'm going off this forum cold turkey till after 4/15/05.

Have fun,

Marie
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2005 :  7:14:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
Hi Marie! This is the first year I haven't worked in tax...so I empathize (and forgive me if I gloat!)

I have just bought m'self a lovely large covered box (pink!) in which to store my UFOs, so that I have them organized when I finally decide to finish 'em!

-- Marg (now retired) in Calgary

TLWKOTB
http://knitsonthebus.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sydo
Chatty Knitter

USA
225 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2005 :  05:21:49 AM  Show Profile  Send sydo a Yahoo! Message Send sydo a Private Message
I fall off the "no more yarn-buying wagon" as I am knitting a current project.

I knit away on my sweater, but even so, I fall in love with some new pattern which totally captivates me. Eventually, I seriously consider the yarn for this new project, and stop and search out possibilities. This future knit takes over and, even while I knit the old project, I have added another project to my future list, and probably more yarn to the stash. It happens every time!

If the current project is big enough, I can add three or four mor eprojects to my future before I finish knitting the sweater.

My positive spin on this is that my future always looks interesting, and I do keep optimism alive this way--always something to look forward to, to aim for. I think that is big, for all of us.

Sydo
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2005 :  09:04:48 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
Update on TO DO list:
DONE:
6 felted totes, one of which I will give away, the other 5, I am using.
1 childs stripped yoke pullover for gs LB Homespun - Blue/White - Easter
4 scarves for holiday gifts - NOT ON ORIGINAL LIST

STARTED:
1 felted tote as gift (I hope)
GD Xmas sweater
DEBBIE MUMM - Snuggly Snowman Afghan Kit Crochet for me
Xmas flower afghan for son - NOT ON ORIGINAL LIST
2 pairs of socks - ( 1 done on 1 pair)

FINISHED NEED TO SEW TOGETHER:
Berroco - Ellis - Long Pullover Tunic - E-Bay - brown cotton tweed. For me

STILL NOTHING:
Only 16!

NEXT!

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

emilyn
Chatty Knitter

Singapore
126 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2005 :  08:08:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit emilyn's Homepage Send emilyn a Private Message
Actually so far, what I have managed to accomplish is go to establish a *one step forward, 2 steps back* strategy.

One step forward - I buy some yarn, start a new project that I just can't wait. Then work on it furiously. When it's done, it's 2 steps back - I go dig out a UFO and work on it. Try to complete it. If it's too boring, I'll start another new project, but only a *small* one.

I am not sure if it works for others but it'll sure work for me.

Em

http://vintagefusionhandcrafts.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  09:47:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
I have bought myself a Really Nice Box (pink) in which to put my UFOs -- which are really suffering from Hate-to-Assemble anxiety...I haven't got to 'em yet, but the box is where I can see it and it's just pretty enough that one day soon, I might actually be inspired!!

Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
http://knitsonthebus.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.72 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by