Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Felting Talk
 Needle Felting
 Which comes first?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

storiesr
Sustaining Member

694 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2005 :  6:38:32 PM  Show Profile Send storiesr a Private Message
I am making the wine sack in Knit One,Felt Too and have a question about the grapes.
Do I dye my raw wool frist to get the purple color or can I felt the grapes and then dye them? I think I know the answer but really wanted to get the grapes done tonight and do not have what I need to dye....And can I dye the raw wool or do I need to go out and purchse purple/grape wool?
Patience, eh?

Laura

We may not be able to control the wind, but we can direct our sails!

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2005 :  7:21:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Susan T-O's Homepage Send Susan T-O a Private Message
I don't have a lot of experience with felting--not on purpose, anyway--but I think you would be better off dying the wool first. I've always heard that the color takes better & lasts longer if it's "dyed in the wool."

And yes, you can dye raw wool. I usually use Kool-Aid when I want to dye my natural animal fibers.

--Susan T-O in Long Beach CA

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression." --Thomas Paine
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2005 :  07:10:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
you always could make an undyed core, then put a layer of the dyed over
however...........you will probably not be as happy as with a totally dyed grape
so I would say if it were me, I would wait, dye it first then make them
vi

none of this will matter in 100 years.......except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Allyn
Chatty Knitter

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2005 :  12:32:03 PM  Show Profile Send Allyn a Private Message
A question before the answer: When you say "raw wool" do you mean unspun or literally raw, unwashed, uncarded, uncombed and all? You don't want to dye raw wool...as in unwashed fleece... because the lanolin in the wool acts as a barrier against the dye. If you have roving or batts or washed locks, you can dye your wool and then felt or make your grapes and then soak them in a dye bath. It will take them a little longer to dry because they are compacted. You could even wet-felt them in a dye bath by using heat and agitation. No wrong ways, just different ones!

Allyn

Ik hald fan dei.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.48 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.