Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 community knitting project question
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DukTape
Warming Up

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2005 :  10:36:16 PM  Show Profile Send DukTape a Private Message
There's this dumb baby blanket project that some numbskull thought up, and it seems that I am going to have to knit the "squares" together. People were to contribute 8" squares. Some of the squares aren't that size, and some aren't very square. I'll need to knit to fill in spaces, and I think it'll look neat if I get the squares arranged just right, but I'm not sure how to go about it. I want there to be some odd sizes of rectangles in there, but I want it to look as if it was done on purpose. Have nay of you guys done a crazy quilt sort of project like this? How did you manage it?

Oh, btw, the dimwit that came up with the idea was me.

"I always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific." -- Lily Tomlin

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2005 :  11:56:48 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
My heart goes out to you. Take care. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

mochajulie
New Pal

49 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2005 :  08:24:30 AM  Show Profile Send mochajulie a Private Message
Hi, sounds like a lot of work (to me anyway)But the quilts that many friends contribute to are so special. Here's what I would do.
Try to get all the squares and rectangles in measurements of mutiples. 8 inch squares, or 16 inch rectangles, or even 4 inches. So they will all fit evenly and your borders will be squared. Then start laying them out in patterns till it looks right in regards to colors and sizes. It should turn out to be quite fun.
Good luck,
Julie
Go to Top of Page

kekokat
Seriously Hooked

USA
845 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2005 :  1:49:29 PM  Show Profile Send kekokat a Private Message
We did something like that at my school. Faculty knit squares and we auctioned the thing at our fund-raiser. Anyway, we had some of the same issues. Did you block the squares? That can help.
Go to Top of Page

Ivynforestsmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

465 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2005 :  4:26:21 PM  Show Profile Send Ivynforestsmom a Private Message
Mmm, very helpful suggestions. I've found myself in a similar bind. My dd has been knitting these crazy swatches since she learned how to knit 2 years ago. She's got a box full of them that she continues to add to. She swears that one day she'll have enough to stitch together in a blanket.
[Which really means that one day she'll-have-enough-squares-for-me-to-stitch-together]
Of course, each one is a different size.

Yvonne
Go to Top of Page

sallyjo
Permanent Resident

USA
2401 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2005 :  4:58:08 PM  Show Profile Send sallyjo a Private Message
Do you know anyone who crochets? That might be a good way to fill.
And ditto on what Bev says!!

"as if God had shrugged his shoulders (and) presently our civilization will once again belong to the misshapen, the moonstruck, and the damned" Woolcott Gibbs
Go to Top of Page

DukTape
Warming Up

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2005 :  9:08:38 PM  Show Profile Send DukTape a Private Message
Thanks, guys. I did finish up another of these blankets a couple of days ago, but 6 out of 12 of the squares were pretty close to the specified measurement. One lady sent six squares that were 5" each, and I just knitted a border around them, then crocheted all the pieces together. I am not much of a crocheter. I need to stop coming up with these ideas. Oh, but there's another one going, and for that one the others are going to give me their pieces as they are completed, and I'll just knit my parts onto them. Ought to work a lot better.

"I always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific." -- Lily Tomlin
Go to Top of Page

carols
Permanent Resident

USA
1681 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2005 :  05:26:02 AM  Show Profile Send carols a Private Message
You can try blocking some of the squares to stretch them a bit, and you could try single crocheting around the ones that are too small. Good luck!
Carol S.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.59 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?