Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 What is with knitting socks?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

carols
Permanent Resident

USA
1681 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2002 :  12:53:11 PM  Show Profile Send carols a Private Message
Okay, here's why I love knitting socks (I hope I'm not repeating too much, I am too lazy to read every post in this thread):
1. They knit fast (and although you do have to knit 2 of them, it's still faster than knitting 2 sleeves or 2 cardigan fronts or a front and back for a sweater!)
2. They really do fit great
3. They allow you to try out new yarns, patterns, techniques without a major commitment of time or money
4. You can buy enough for a pair way cheaper than enough for most any other kind of project - i.e., you can really go nuts adding to your stash
5. You are taking something utilitarian and somewhat boring and turning it into a hand-created work of art
6. I think it is absolutely amazingly clever how the first socknitters figured out the engineering of how to knit a perfectly-fitting sock given the strange bumps and curves of the foot/leg.
So there!
Carol

Go to Top of Page

happyneedles
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2002 :  1:41:47 PM  Show Profile Send happyneedles a Private Message
I've been knitting for 18 years and have never knit a pair of socks! I know that must sound awful to you sock-knitter lovers out there! But what I don't get and would like someone to explain to me, how can sock knitting equal the pleasure of sweater knitting when no one can see and admire your socks? Please explain!

Go to Top of Page

Sunshine_Amy
New Pal

13 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2002 :  3:44:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sunshine_Amy's Homepage Send Sunshine_Amy a Private Message
Happyneedles, that's what Berkenstocks are for! (Or other sandals.) I love wearing cozy socks (handmade or not, wish I had more handmade pairs) with roomy sandals!

I've mostly made baby socks so far. Now THOSE are QUICK! I always feel like a woman in one of those old cartoons: you know, when they're pregnant and they start whipping out baby socks! (except I'm not pregnant, I just love making them for friends' babies.)

To me they're addictive just because they're so quick, and yes, it's that turning of the heel, it's just soooooo satisfying!

Baby socks are especially great to make with extra yarn, they don't take much yarn at all. I love the Reggia stripy yarns. I've used them completely for toddler socks, and I hear you often will have enough left over from making adult socks, to make a pair of baby/toddler socks. I try to use only really soft yarns for infant socks; I'm guessing the Reggias are good for maybe age 2 and up. (Seems like baby skin would be super-sensitive to scratchiness...any opinions on this?)
Go to Top of Page

mbmoody
Gabber Extraordinaire

583 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2002 :  4:09:35 PM  Show Profile Send mbmoody a Private Message
I started knitting socks when I started riding the subway. My first attempt, with dpns, was abandoned at the gusset. I tried again with circulars, and became hooked. There's something very satisfying about turning the heel. Unless you make stuffed animals, you don't get a chance to shape your knitting in three dimensions like that very often. Also, they're a quick completion. If your ongoing sweater is a complicated design that takes six months (as my last one did), it's nice to be able to finish something in three weeks.
Go to Top of Page

carols
Permanent Resident

USA
1681 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2002 :  4:44:33 PM  Show Profile Send carols a Private Message
Hmmm - well, I guess whether people see and admire your hand-knit socks depends on whether you are a keep-your-shoes-on person or a take-your-shoes-off-at-the-door person. I am the latter! Also, you can make cotton socks for warm weather wear (shorts reveal all) and even in the winter you can put your feet up on ottomans a lot! I am not a birkenstock wearer but I do have some very comfy mules and clogs that let the ankles and heels show. I actually will get more wear out of socks (so long as they aren't really thick hiking type socks) given our generally mild winters, as opposed to wool sweaters which are often too hot for me to wear most of the year.

You never know: one day, out of the blue, you may get bit by the socknitting bug --- or not!

Carol

Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2002 :  9:38:16 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Happyneedles, people do actually notice! I knit during my lunch at work and colleagues see my creations. Lately I have taken to knitting "slocks"(sliper socks). I use sock yarn doubled, knit about 5cm ribbing, add reinforcing thread, make the heel, and keep going until my slock is done! I use reinforcing thread from the heel until it runs out - usually just before the toes. I wear them at work instead of indoor shoes. I have a casual work environment so I can get away with it.

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

annglowacki
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2002 :  10:37:46 AM  Show Profile Send annglowacki a Private Message
Why knit socks?
How about...
because they were there! And I no longer have to buy those cheapo bags at the stores either.

I'm one of those knitters that since I've mastered toe-up (I also do top-down) there's always a pair or two in progress I can take on trips. Small, fast, and starts conversations up easily.
--Gee, what are you crocheting--Knitting--Oh, it looks like....and so on!
Especially great if you can read a book or magazine and knit at the same time.

Go to Top of Page

Pen
Warming Up

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2002 :  1:41:24 PM  Show Profile Send Pen a Private Message
Hi Melanie...... What length are you using for your WW socks???
Is i a 12 inch circular??? And what size??? 6 ?

quote:

Dear Denise,

Couldn't resist adding my . I made my first pair of socks last Dec/Jan for DH for his Christmas present. He really loved them, and I must say I had so much fun! That was Nature Spun on DPNs and I cobbled a pattern together from several sources. One of my patterns was worsted weight, but plain, and the only other pattern I had was Seeded Rib but DK. My Knitter's Companion told me how to Kitchener.

Anyway, I just made another pair for youngest DS on circulars with Wool-Ease, also in the seeded rib. He just loves them. And I can't wait to make my next pair!

Anyway, I think the reason socks are so addictive is you get so much bang for your buck! Along with all the other great reasons already mentioned, quite frankly they're the most impressive thing you can give. They SEEM so difficult to the "lay-person" even when they've been watching you make the socks.

Luke dances around the house in his, just tickled pink. How could I not want to make him more? Right after DD and me, of course! And oldest DS, if he decides he wants a pair.

Melanie

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

Go to Top of Page

lacylaine
Seriously Hooked

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2002 :  8:13:47 PM  Show Profile Send lacylaine a Private Message
Dear Pen,

I used two 16" size four circulars, one Addi Turbo, one Inox. It just worked out that way, but it was a good thing for my first circular attempt. The two brands have different colored cables, which helped me keep track of what row I was on. I had that problem with DH's socks on DPN, too (keeping track of my rows, I mean).

I started with 48 stitches, but that was actually a little big for Luke. Seeded Rib is a multiple of 6, so next time I'll cast on 42 sts for his socks.

Hope this helps!

Melanie

Don't try to get by (unless you've already started with a shorter cable size. They kind of stick out and get in the way, instead of hanging down the sides of the sock.

Go to Top of Page

helenchollingsworth
New Pal

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2002 :  08:02:06 AM  Show Profile Send helenchollingsworth a Private Message

Helen, I'd like to hear/read more about that one circ sock, though I do enjoy knitting with dpns. Linda

Linda, Here is one link I found for the booklet; it shows a picture (kind of) what it looks like. The directions are really good. It comes with 2 sock patterns, but I bought it solely for the technique. You can use it for anything in the round. hh

http://store.carodanfarm.com/skumagicloop.html

Go to Top of Page

juliana
New Pal

Australia
43 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2002 :  05:59:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit juliana's Homepage Send juliana a Private Message
I am beginning to believe there is a Knitter's Review curse. I have never had any desire to knit socks, but I joined this forum a month ago, and I am now knitting up my second sock! (and enjoying it too!)
The circular needles was what persuaded me to give it a go, and knitting two at a time will be the way I do it from now on. Yes I am planning pair number 2 already.
I HATE working with double pointed needles. Also with 3 year old twins helping me I can knit with circulars without them pulling my needles out of my work.
I have thought of a good use for all those odd socks, my kids love sock puppets, so any odd ones will be quickly turned into sock puppets. The only problem with my plan is, having twins means I still need 2 odd socks

Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2002 :  09:08:58 AM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message
Helen,

What is the name of the Fiber Trends booklet on this Magic Loop thing? I would love to try it because I don't really care for knitting one sock on 2 circulars at all and I've tried numerous times to cast on and try 2 socks on 2 circs and it hasn't worked for me yet. I think that if I'm just working with one circular I might have better luck.....and you say it's soooo easy....how easy is that, Helen?

Regards, Patience
Go to Top of Page

lacylaine
Seriously Hooked

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2002 :  10:49:33 AM  Show Profile Send lacylaine a Private Message
Aaargh! Can't believe I goofed like this! I meant to recommend a 24" needle for knitting socks on 2 circulars, NOT 16"

I tried the 16" and found that they stick out and get in my way. The 24" length seems to work just right.

I apoligize for this and hope no one spent too much money on the wrong length.

Melanie

Go to Top of Page

NancyW
Chatty Knitter

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2002 :  12:08:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit NancyW's Homepage Send NancyW a Private Message
I agree that 24" length circs are the best for socks on 2 circs. I tried 20" length in a size 0, and found that the needle part of the circ was way too short, but once you went up to 24" the needle was long enough to hold comfortably. I use Addi Turbos and just love them!
-Nancy, working on sock pair #2 (2 socks on 2 circs, leg down)

Go to Top of Page

bobbie
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2002 :  4:47:03 PM  Show Profile Send bobbie a Private Message
quote:

I like doing socks because they are a great comfort item to wear, but also because they are so portable. I had to laugh at Luann's comment about seeing someone at the House of Blues... I have now taken to knitting socks where ever I can. Lately it is BC hockey games and while stopped in traffic on the way into work. Any kids' activity is a good place too. You can do them standing up because they're not heavy and big and most of the time you do not have to look at them, so you can carry on a conversation with some one or watch the game, practice, whatever. Lately I am into the cable-patterned ones because they hold my attention better. I guess I am not brave enough to do it at a party, let alone a bar, but hey more power to the "sock knitting chick"!

Kath

Go to Top of Page

betsy_who_plays_with_string
Warming Up

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2002 :  9:01:47 PM  Show Profile Send betsy_who_plays_with_string a Private Message
4 years ago, i had to go to Germany for 2 years without my DS. I started making socks then. Along with all the creative and utilitarian reasons to make socks, my husband understood that if I made him a pair of socks, I was thinking about him. We survived that 2 year separation, with letters and email, and phone calls every Saturday, thanks.

These days, it's hard to get someone to make a SANDWICH for you without expecting payment...and there are very few people in the world who will sit down and make you anything. Just look around at the next bridal or baby shower you go to!

One video game fan told me he didn't understand why I'd do this, I told him that I spent the same time as he did playing games, but I had socks when I was done....silence!

They are not mere SOCKS-they are baby-boo foot sweaters!

Go to Top of Page

rkc
Chatty Knitter

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2002 :  07:45:31 AM  Show Profile Send rkc a Private Message
Help. I am a fairly new knitter--never done socks before. Where do I start? What is the easiest way? Doing 2 at a time sounds wonderful. Is there any difference in the look and feel of the socks doing dpn's vs circs? Can someone give me a 1-2-3-4?

Go to Top of Page

mokumegane
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2002 :  09:05:25 AM  Show Profile Send mokumegane a Private Message
dpn's and circular needles are both a good way to knit socks. They look alike and look professional. You can knit socks on straight needles but you'll need to put a seam in where you wouldn't have one on dpn's or circs. Some people have said circs two at a time are easier but I'm not sure. With dpn's there's four or so places where you might have tension problems and end up with a few holes but circs only have one spot. It's something you've got to try for yourself. I suggest to go to different sites that show you the dpn way and the circs way and see what makes more sense to you. Here's some links to start you off with:

Some tips:
http://sockguy.virtualave.net/page8.html
http://www.knit2crochet.esmartweb.com/twosocksontwocircs.html
http://www.pecks.go.hm//knitting.htm
http://www.royea.net/sockdemo1.html
http://flor.freeservers.com/soxx.htm
http://flor.freeservers.com/toeup.htm

Sock patterns:
http://www.socknitters.com/PATTERNS/DYOSpatt.htm
http://www.magma.ca/~vanmac/imain.htm
http://socknitters.com/toe-up/index.htm
http://home.teleport.com/~noelvn/socks/categories.html
http://www.homestead.com/knittingfun/files/alpha1002.htm

I hope this helps some!

Amanda

Laugh- it keeps you sane!
Go to Top of Page

NancyW
Chatty Knitter

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2002 :  09:08:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit NancyW's Homepage Send NancyW a Private Message
rkc:
The best way to learn to knit socks is to have someone show you! Turning the heel can be done on faith from various instructions, but picking up the gusset stitches to get back "in the round" is a bit tricky unless you've seen it done in person (it was for me anyway). THere are many pattern books availalbe. Cottage Creations makes a great pattern book called "Iowa Cruise/Crew Socks" that walks you through step by step with pretty good line drawing pictures to help you figure out where you are (I did find some of her anecdotes distracting as I couldn't figure out where I was in the instructions.. but overall it's very good).

If your'e interested in the two socks on two circulars method, get Cat Bordi's Socks Soar on Circular Needles book. I would not recommend this as a first sock pattern, despite how easy she says it is. I've read a lot of postings of first-timers getting confused with her simple sock pattern. I haven't made a sockfrom this book yet, but have applied the principles to other patterns very easily. I only did one sock on DPNs, enough to understand how it should work.

Check out the Sock Forum here on Knitter's Review. Lots of great info in there, and lots of dedicated sock knitters to help you through and tough spots.
Good luck!

-Nancy, a dedicated sock knitter!

Go to Top of Page

rkc
Chatty Knitter

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2002 :  1:07:30 PM  Show Profile Send rkc a Private Message
Thank you Amanda & Nancy! I have a place to start!!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.73 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?