Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 What is with knitting socks?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

marnita
Chatty Knitter

USA
348 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2002 :  10:40:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit marnita's Homepage Send marnita a Private Message
My first pair of socks was an experiment in left over yarn from a sweater I made. They turned out well so I haven't stopped yet. I decided to make socks for my entire family for the holidays. All of them are different and special. I even included glow-in-the-dark yarn on the socks for my nieces (ages 4 and 6). I think it is a great way to try new stitch patterns, new yarns, and new ideas without going so far out on a limb with making your own designs. I have basically whittled down the "pattern" to a formula that applies to every pair I make.

One thing I have learned from this forum that is key in making socks is if you are knitting your socks separately, make sure you do not finish the first sock unless you can start the second one right then and there. That way it is not another sock, it's just an extension of the project.

http://marneysworld.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2002 :  1:56:24 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Marnita, what yarn did you use for glow-in-the-dark? This sounds like a great idea for Halloween!

Monika

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

marnita
Chatty Knitter

USA
348 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2002 :  2:21:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit marnita's Homepage Send marnita a Private Message
It is 100% nylon yarn that I got from http://www.heartstringsfiberarts.com/

It is not the best yarn to work with. It does not have any give and is pretty scratchy. Oh, and it is very stringy and gets caught on everything. But, it glows really brightly and has a cool effect.

I am currently making some scrunchies for my nieces with this yarn (with another yarn as well) so they can wear them on Halloween.

Remember, a little goes a long way.

http://marneysworld.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2673 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2002 :  11:58:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message
I too resisted sock knitting for a long time. A couple of years after I learned to knit, about 3 years ago, I went to a close friend's 30th birthday party. It was at the House of Blues, and a swinging party it was. There was a lost looking woman wandering around, chatting with people as she stood and knit on a sock. "Who brings a sock to a bar, a party no less," I thought. I vowed then that I would never become "Sock Knitting Chick."

Last winter I took a sock knitting workshop just out of curiosity (and because a knitting pal wanted to take it too.) I decided "I can do that" but that I would refrain, since it seemed to be a whole new way to get into trouble - new yarns, new needles, etc.

Then this summer I found the crazy self patterning yarns and Cat Bordi's "Socks Soar" book, and I got hooked! I've made four pairs so far, out of various weights and patterns. They were the perfect summer project to work on in the heat.

Now I keep a sock in progress in my purse at all times - takes up very little room and I can quickly do a row or two while waiting around for the bus, etc. But not at parties! My friend (now turning 33) calls me Sock Knitting Chick, but I don't mind. I made her a pair of Outrageous Socks (from TheKnitter.com) for her birthday next week!

Luann

Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2002 :  10:32:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
The first thing I do when I come home is kick off the shoes and sock - I don't even like slippers, which is odd because my feet are always cold!

But I do enjoy knitting socks, and I think the reason is this - they are as varied a project as I can find without having to dig up a pattern each time I knit. The heel and the toe both require concentration and counting - a good thing when you're trying to take your mind off something. But then the foot and leg parts can be fairly mindless if you're knitting just to knit... all socks are for the most part alike - you can choose to do variations, and those are endless, but once you've done one, you can do another hundred like it without looking at a pattern. And because they're small, they are very portable knitting!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

beth95
Chatty Knitter

149 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2002 :  1:07:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit beth95's Homepage Send beth95 a Private Message
Socks have a talismanic quality that no other knitted project, except perhaps a shawl, can match. It's almost impossible to explain why, but socks really are the ultimate comfort item--like chocolate chip cookies straight out of the oven. ;-)

Maybe it has to do with the very intimate nature of socks. You can borrow your mother's cashmere sweater, or your boyfriend's T-shirt (and perhaps never give it back!), but how many people share their socks? They are a more personal item.

I loved the story about somebody's colleague bursting into tears upon receiving a pair of handmade socks... when was the last time somebody cried over a vest or a pullover? I don't know what it is, exactly, but there's something about a pair of handmade socks that is deeply moving. Love comes bursting out of every stitch, whether you meant to put it there or not!

--Beth :-)

Go to Top of Page

kepkake
Chatty Knitter

USA
251 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2002 :  1:47:57 PM  Show Profile Send kepkake a Private Message
I really think that socks are a great handmade gift as well. You give a person socks for different reasons than say, a sweater. For me, part of the attraction of giving an outer garment is for the attention I know I'll receive when the person wears it. (I know that sounds really shallow, in all honesty, I've only made sweaters for immediate family). "Is that hand-made? Who made that for you? She's so creative...blah, blah, blah" I don't mean to say that I make things only for the compliments I hope to receive. Not even close, but it's nice to hear once in a while. Socks, however are a more intimate item as Beth pointed out. Most people will never even know the owner is wearing them. The socks were knitted solely for the comfort of the wearer's feet...that's what the knitter is thinking about as they are being made...not the accolades. I think that love comes through. Just my

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

OKnitter
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2002 :  1:54:46 PM  Show Profile Send OKnitter a Private Message
Wendy,

Very nicely worded. I too believe there is something very special about knitting socks for a loved one and very special for the recipient as well!

Ana

Go to Top of Page

reelgrrrl
Chatty Knitter

USA
229 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2002 :  2:28:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit reelgrrrl's Homepage Send reelgrrrl a Private Message
Hello! Long time lurker, first time poster =)
I'm going to try knitting socks once I get all of my Christmas presents done. But I was wondering, isnt there a superstition about knitting your S.O. socks? Somewhere along the lines of the Curse of the Love Sweater? Like, he'll walk away from you? Or did I just dream that?

www.cherryduckyknitting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

hand-dyed
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2002 :  4:12:01 PM  Show Profile Send hand-dyed a Private Message
Hi Denise,

I have knitted many pairs on dpns and have just started my first pair on two circular needless, I'm addicted. They fit like a "glove" and feel wonderfull. Also, it's nice to sit down and put my feet up and see something I've made. And when I feel like I'm not getting anything done, they are a quick project (if it is a simple pattern) that always makes me feel better.

-Pam
Go to Top of Page

navyseel
Chatty Knitter

142 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2002 :  6:49:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit navyseel's Homepage Send navyseel a Private Message
I love the technical aspects of making socks. There are so many interesting parts, that even a very basic sock pattern is fun to do (well, unless you're making huge socks -- the foot part could be tedious). But the thing that clinched it for me was wearing my handmade socks for the first time. They felt great! I was surprised at how comfortable they are. I made a pair for my SO and have requests for another. So I hope there isn't a curse of the love socks!

Celia
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2002 :  8:26:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
quote:

I have always had this thing - ever since I was little I've hated wearing socks.

My friend Tracy feels the same way. She says that "socks are just the Man trying to bring me down."

Now, I feel that way about wearing clothes in my own house. If I'm home, I'm probably naked. How annoying are clothes? I suppose this is easy for me to say since it's just me, my wife, and our three (naked) cats. If we had kids it would be a different story.

Amanda

Go to Top of Page

SheepLass
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2002 :  03:56:20 AM  Show Profile Send SheepLass a Private Message
I love knitting socks! Recently I got addicted to the Regia stuff, which is not just gorgeous but also amazingly wonderful stuff to work with. I think socks are great because they're short projects, they have several different parts so I don't get bored, and there's NO SEAMING!! I hate to seam!! :)

I also hated grafting toes -- I didn't like the way it looked and I didn't enjoy doing it -- so I've started using the Star Toe method. You divide stitches onto four needles, then knit the last two stitches on each needle together, knit a plain row, knit last two together, knit plain row (repeat for a total of 12 rows), then knit the last two stitches on each needle together every round until you have 2 stitches on each needle left. Then you can run your yarn through the remaining stitches and weave it in, and you're done. I love it!

My way of avoiding ladders (it seems like no one has mentioned that little heartbreaking part of sock knitting yet!) is to use a set of five needles rather than four, and knit the first two stitches off the next needle every time as I go around.

And although I've tried the two circulars approach, I just don't much care for it. I love the feeling of dexterity I get from using double-pointeds, and I'm quite fast with them, so I don't lose anything in terms of speed. Plus I find it easier to avoid ladders. :)

Go to Top of Page

Nan-a
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2002 :  06:34:48 AM  Show Profile Send Nan-a a Private Message
I too tried knitting socks just to see if I could do it and was hooked. I have knit several for myself and friends. I do not know what the addiction is, but for sure I have it! My first ones were pitiful, but after trying a toe up version, I can now knit a pair of socks fairly easily. I love the heel that you can do with the toe up directions.

Someone mentioned knitting with a cottoon/lycra blend or cotton/nylon blend. I have used Cascade Fixation and found that it works so great. Socks stretch for a great fit and they are so warm! It takes two balls of yarn to make a pair of socks. I have made several pairs using this yarn. The varigated yarn will naturally stripe while knitting,and while not a colorful as the Regia, Opal or Fortissmo, they still looks great with clogs.

KOK (Keep On Knitting)

Go to Top of Page

yarncollector
New Pal

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2002 :  09:11:01 AM  Show Profile Send yarncollector a Private Message
I like doing socks because they are a great comfort item to wear, but also because they are so portable. I had to laugh at Luann's comment about seeing someone at the House of Blues... I have now taken to knitting socks where ever I can. Lately it is BC hockey games and while stopped in traffic on the way into work. Any kids' activity is a good place too. You can do them standing up because they're not heavy and big and most of the time you do not have to look at them, so you can carry on a conversation with some one or watch the game, practice, whatever. Lately I am into the cable-patterned ones because they hold my attention better. I guess I am not brave enough to do it at a party, let alone a bar, but hey more power to the "sock knitting chick"!

Kath

Go to Top of Page

helenchollingsworth
New Pal

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2002 :  3:01:11 PM  Show Profile Send helenchollingsworth a Private Message
I just came back from stitches east, and went to a demo on the "magic loop technique". This is a way to do a sock or any other tube with ONE circular needle. I had no interest in starting a sock before that, but I had to try this new technique. Fiber trends puts out a booklet on the technique that it really good. I can't believe how easy it is. hh

Go to Top of Page

moimers
New Pal

10 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2002 :  4:03:41 PM  Show Profile Send moimers a Private Message
I find that knitting a pair of socks is a relaxing project when you need something "mindless" to do. They're portable, so I'm able to take them to meetings, conferences, doctor appointments, in the car on trips. I also like to work on a pair so I can alternate them when I'm working on a complicated sweater pattern, or taking a course on a new technique and need a break. I've made many pairs of socks, but I think that the most gratifying ones I've made have been the two pairs I knit for my husband. He is extremely difficult to please, but loves the ones I've made him. In fact, he makes a point on wearing them and showing them off when he golfs with his close friends. That alone was worth the frustration I felt with my first couple of pairs.
Go to Top of Page

tygger
New Pal

18 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2002 :  4:50:39 PM  Show Profile Send tygger a Private Message
I have done three pairs (two from the same pattern) thus far. I felt a real sense of accomplishment doing a pair of socks. For some reason, they (and mittens, which I have yet to try) intimidated me as a new knitter more than any other project. I taught myself how to use double pointed needles (dpns, for short) and am real pleased with how they turn out.

As others have posted here, there are new, cool, yarns coming out, and they make store bought machine made socks look pretty mundane.
Find the socknitters group on Yahoo and read some of their posts, perhaps you will see what has excited them so much.
Go to Top of Page

BooksAngel
Chatty Knitter

USA
165 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2002 :  8:46:42 PM  Show Profile Send BooksAngel a Private Message
Hey, I forgot another great reason to enjoy making socks. As we choose most clothing we carefully consider the colors that we look good in. This limits the colors we can knit with also. "How will this ------ look on ------?"

With socks any color or color combination goes. Hand knit socks traditionally were one color with a cable or some knit in design that was a great way to practice a new pattern but not very bright.

Now wearing bright multi-colored socks in public almost always brings the question, "Did you knit those?" Even family members will be quizzed about unusual socks. No one says kids have the only right to wear wacky colors combined together. Do you love a color that does not look good on you? Wear lots of it on your feet and have the fun of knitting those favorite colors too.

Angel

Go to Top of Page

linda-gail
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2002 :  12:10:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit linda-gail's Homepage Send linda-gail a Private Message
Good point, Angel, about wearing a color sock that you love, but you don't feel looks good on you. I'll definately try that one.

Helen, I'd like to hear/read more about that one circ sock, though I do enjoy knitting with dpns. Linda

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.7 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?