Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 My Yarn for Fitness Program
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

dedtired
Chatty Knitter

USA
165 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2005 :  08:06:11 AM  Show Profile  Send dedtired a Yahoo! Message Send dedtired a Private Message
I wish I could knit while I worked out. But weights and boxing with a heavy bag don't really lend themselves to finishing that latest scarf.

On the needles:
--Bias Knit Scarf using Lion Brand Wool-Ease
--Driver's Cap using Lion Brand Lion Cotton
Go to Top of Page

Catladyknits
Gabber Extraordinaire

Canada
368 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2005 :  10:48:01 AM  Show Profile Send Catladyknits a Private Message
What an inspiring idea! I think I'll adapt it to my pedometer, too!

Go to Top of Page

ladyamythyst69
Gabber Extraordinaire

372 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2005 :  11:19:58 AM  Show Profile Send ladyamythyst69 a Private Message
Pretty soon we will have to organise a marathon where we have to knit a scarf in only 5 miles! :)

Go to Top of Page

sarakate
Seriously Hooked

USA
818 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2005 :  3:12:05 PM  Show Profile Send sarakate a Private Message
Several people have asked whether anyone thought it was possible to knit while riding a recumbent exercise bike. I have one, and I *do* knit on it, so yes, it's definitely possible! I don't do anything terribly complex, because you *do* joggle about a bit, but I have plenty of projects that have a lot of very routine knitting to them (body of a top-down sweater? dullsville!) and this is perfect for that.
Go to Top of Page

scarlet
Chatty Knitter

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2005 :  10:23:05 AM  Show Profile Send scarlet a Private Message
This is positively brilliant! I've been looking for ages for a way to actually motivate myself to USE the treadmill we have, and get in better shape. Earning something for every little bit will be a big encouragement to not only get on it and start, but to keep going as long as possible. :) Thank you SO much for this great idea.

--tara

Always wear your seatbelt. It makes it harder for the aliens to snatch you from your car.
Go to Top of Page

ladyamythyst69
Gabber Extraordinaire

372 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2005 :  2:36:21 PM  Show Profile Send ladyamythyst69 a Private Message
Woohoo! My first yarn purchased with my hard earned money! My calorie money bank account is now back to zero but I had saved up enough to buy some beautiful skeins of yarn from Handpainted Yarns & now I am going to excercise my fingers making a clapotis!

It's back on the bike tomorrow to pump my calorie bank account back up - and I am actually considering getting some more excercise equipment. How about one of those climbing machines? They are pure torture. :)

- Great quote Scarlet - cracked me up!
Go to Top of Page

spirals
Chatty Knitter

102 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2005 :  09:59:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit spirals's Homepage Send spirals a Private Message
I just checked out the caloriesperhour website and apparently knitting burns calories, too!
A great rationale for the terribly lazy, like myself....

http://spiralz.tripod.com/blog/
Go to Top of Page

SixtiesKnitter
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2005 :  10:59:01 AM  Show Profile Send SixtiesKnitter a Private Message
I love the idea too. I've been trying to do 10,000 steps/day and I think I'm going to try the penny for every step over 10,000. Do you think that's too "Calvinistic" or masochistic or something?

Linda
Go to Top of Page

quilmar
New Pal

14 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2005 :  2:41:03 PM  Show Profile Send quilmar a Private Message
Great ideas! My sister (who is an avid knitter like all of us) told me recently that knitting burns up 3 calories per minute (or something like that), so I say, KEEP knitting to burn calories. The bike is probably a lot more efficient, though.
Go to Top of Page

mahoneg
New Pal

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2005 :  4:37:38 PM  Show Profile Send mahoneg a Private Message
It's only masochistic if you're carrying a piano the whole time.
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  10:52:57 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I just did a little math and that comes to $35 a pound. At 2 pounds a week that is $70, 4 weeks a month, that is $280 a month. That's way out of my league. Isn't is amazing how a penny a calorie adds up.

fran
Go to Top of Page

ladyamythyst69
Gabber Extraordinaire

372 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  11:26:12 AM  Show Profile Send ladyamythyst69 a Private Message
I wish I could burn off two pounds a week! From what I have read you have to burn 3500 calories to lose a pound. I am working out three times a week and burning about half that. So really I am burning a pound every two weeks. That makes it more affordable and I think it is healthier to go slow and steady rather than try to lose too much too fast.
Go to Top of Page

lauraks555
New Pal

42 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  11:30:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit lauraks555's Homepage Send lauraks555 a Private Message
Yay! What a wonderful idea! Since I've joined the gym, I could easily earn $20 a week. Like I NEED an excuse to buy yarn, ha ha!
Go to Top of Page

vminerd@yahoo.com
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  2:24:20 PM  Show Profile Send vminerd@yahoo.com a Private Message
What a wonderful idea! I can see me buying that cashmere for a new sweater in 2008 now :)
Go to Top of Page

cats
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
503 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  2:42:12 PM  Show Profile Send cats a Private Message
The amount of calories you burn while exercising doesn't translate directly into the amount of weight you lose. The exercising can help you lose more weight since it raises your metabolism. Also, part of those 1 - 2 pounds of weight loss more than likely comes from better eating habits.

just because you lose 2 pounds (7,000 calories) in one week doesn't mean you burned up that many calories on the treadmill, exercise bike, etc.

If I wasn't on a yarn diet, I might try something like you've done.
Go to Top of Page

indigomuse@verizon.net
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
468 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  3:17:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit indigomuse@verizon.net's Homepage Send indigomuse@verizon.net a Private Message
Okay, here's where I'm confused by that little calories per hour calculator. It says that I can burn 115 calories per hour knitting OR burn the same amount of calories engaged in vigorous (their definition, not mine) sex. Anyone else besides me see something wrong with this calorie analysis?

IM

Musing about my knitting at http://indigomuse.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

marymaryqc@charter.net

Posted - 01/25/2005 :  08:16:23 AM  Show Profile Send marymaryqc@charter.net a Private Message
Wouldn't it be great to have a yarn store/fitness studio? "Knit 'n Fit".....?
Go to Top of Page

knitting sock monkey
Chatty Knitter

218 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2005 :  6:01:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitting sock monkey's Homepage Send knitting sock monkey a Private Message
I used to knit and use the recumbent bike, it works well and passes the time quickly! Now I've joined a gym where I would feel a little odd bringing my knitting. You're so lucky to have a bike at home!
Go to Top of Page

myshelle10
Permanent Resident

USA
2749 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2005 :  9:25:55 PM  Show Profile Send myshelle10 a Private Message
Indigomuse-- LOL. I don't want to know where they got those figures from!!!

Myshelle10
Go to Top of Page

paper tiger
Chatty Knitter

282 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  10:34:11 AM  Show Profile Send paper tiger a Private Message
I've tried knitting on the bike and have learned that you need to keep your yarn pretty close & droopless... I had to stop cycling a few times because I got the yarn wound around the pedals! Could be hazardous on a treadmill...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.59 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?