Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 My Yarn for Fitness Program
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ladyamythyst69
Gabber Extraordinaire

372 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2005 :  3:10:29 PM  Show Profile Send ladyamythyst69 a Private Message
I thought I would share my new "Yarn for Fitness" program. I have been telling myself for awhile that it would be a good thing to get off the couch & tone up & lose a little weight & just generally get healthier. I have a great recumbant excersise bike in the basement but not much motivation. But just before Christmas it hit me! I could motivate myself through my knitting! After all, I will go out to a yarn store in any weather, stretch my budget to the limit buying yarn, stash endlessly - I even dream about yarn. So I put myself on the "Yarn for Fitness" program. I get a penny for every calorie I burn on the bike. I peddle away furiously watching that stash money add up. I imagine hanks of Lorna's Laces dangling just a few feet in front of the bike. (It is the ultimate knitters carrot on a stick!) I've been on the program for a month now and feel great about my progress. I am able to do 10 miles in an hour on a stiff resistance several times a week. And whenever I want to quit - feel like I'm going to die if I peddle anymore - I tell myself to just keep going until the calorie counter is at a nice round number. Today I earned myself $4.67. Granted that is pretty small change for an hour's worth of torture but hopefully soon I will be spending my cash on some lovely yarn while wearing a size smaller jeans!

Also - the program has another incentive phase. Actually using up yarn! I "pay" myself a dollar for every hour I spend knitting. (It has to be less than what I earn on the bike or I would just opt to knit all day!)

So with the yarn for fitness program I am getting healthy, and conquering stasher's guilt! I am keeping myself on a yarn diet (ie: budget) and knitting like mad. Now if only I could find something to motivate myself to get to the "finish line" (actually putting sweaters together!) Oh well, one step at a time!

Former Disco Queen
Chatty Knitter

USA
239 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2005 :  3:32:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Former Disco Queen's Homepage Send Former Disco Queen a Private Message
Good for you! Sounds like a great program :)

I started knitting as a way to occupy myself(and my hands) while watching television in the evenings. I lost about 25 lbs. in about 6 months. I guess all that night time snacking was adding up.

Good luck with your weight loss!

Amy
Go to Top of Page

Ivynforestsmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

465 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2005 :  6:38:05 PM  Show Profile Send Ivynforestsmom a Private Message
quote:
I get a penny for every calorie I burn on the bike. I peddle away furiously watching that stash money add up. I imagine hanks of Lorna's Laces dangling just a few feet in front of the bike. (It is the ultimate knitters carrot on a stick!)

Good gracious, Lady, that's brilliant!!
Go to Top of Page

bonitapita
Chatty Knitter

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2005 :  8:49:28 PM  Show Profile Send bonitapita a Private Message
well, I was inspired and thought I might try a version of this. I use to wear a pedometer and try to get 10,000 steps/day in, so I thought I could do a penny a step...until I realized that that would give me $100 a day!! While I would LOVE that...uh...its just not possible. I'll have to think about this some more.

Tanya
Go to Top of Page

qtpieknitter
Gabber Extraordinaire

Canada
583 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2005 :  10:21:55 PM  Show Profile Send qtpieknitter a Private Message
I think you started something! In nice weather, I go walking with the kids everyday, but since it's winter here, with tons of snow and today a windchill of -46 C, I'm not even going outside. I have a bike in the basement and I had started riding it for awhile in the evenings before I sat down to knit, but with the Xmas mad rush to finish knitting projects, I let that go. Now I have an incentive to start up again! I'll figure something out, about a method of payment, but it's a brilliant idea. I love adding to my stash, but I feel like I'm getting out of shape, so if I can combine both, great!
Melanie
Go to Top of Page

dedtired
Chatty Knitter

USA
165 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  06:12:11 AM  Show Profile  Send dedtired a Yahoo! Message Send dedtired a Private Message
So make it a penny per 10 steps == $10/day
or penny per 100 steps == $1/day

that's a little more reasonable, and can be figured by pretty easily rounding.
--Justin

On the needles:
--Garter Stitch Scarf using Lion Brand Imagine
--Driver's Cap using Lion Brand Lion Cotton
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  06:39:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Or a penny a step over 10,000, or over what you normally do a day...

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

ladyamythyst69
Gabber Extraordinaire

372 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  10:17:41 AM  Show Profile Send ladyamythyst69 a Private Message
You could try to calculate the calories you burn walking and pay yourself a penny a calorie. I googled & found out that you have to burn 3500 calories to lose a pound! But they also have online calculators where you can enter your age, weight etc and it will tell you how many calories a specific excersise burns.

I need to lose 10 pounds and would like to lose 15. At the rate I'm going I will earn myself $10 - $12 a week and lose about 1/2 a pound a week. So it will take me probably around four months to reach my goal weight. But then again I might get there faster. It is amazing how quickly your strength and stamina improve. I started only being able to do 6 miles on the bike and now I am up to 10 and 1/2 in four weeks!

I get a lot of reading done too while I pedal so that is an added benefit. Now if I could only find a way to justify paying myself for all the time I spend thinking about knitting! (But I could never afford that!)

- Stephanie
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  10:20:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
I would love one of those bikes that you can sit and read on... I have a treadmill that's on an incline, so it takes a little concentration to stay on the thing or you slide off like a bad comedy.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

MissPooh
Angel

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  10:31:15 AM  Show Profile Send MissPooh a Private Message
I've wondered if you could knit while on the bike. How many miles per dishcloth? You could use the dishcloth to wipe the sweat out of your eyes.

Mary Lou

"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

ladyamythyst69
Gabber Extraordinaire

372 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  10:41:58 AM  Show Profile Send ladyamythyst69 a Private Message
I am lucky enough to have a recumbant bike so that is how I can read while I pedal. I liked the idea of a recumbant bike because it is the closest thing to excersising whilst relaxing I could find! It is actually very comfortable & is easier on your knees.

Go to Top of Page

Roxanne
Seriously Hooked

Canada
714 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  10:56:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Roxanne's Homepage Send Roxanne a Private Message
What a super idea! I really need to lose a bit of weight too and tone up and all that....maybe a penny per minute exercised may work? 30 minutes a day is 30 cents a day and after 5 days, $1.50.... Oh heck, I'll have to exercise a lot to buy yarn....LOL

"Success is a Journey; not a Destination"
My Blog: http://knitnpurlzen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

TracyKnits
Chatty Knitter

324 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  11:01:31 AM  Show Profile Send TracyKnits a Private Message
I have a recumbant bike too but never ride it. Do you think you could knit while you ride it?
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5189 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  11:22:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message
I could knit something simple on a recumbant, and I've read on one many times. Man I wish I had one--this is a great motivational tool.

http://crazylaneas.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

~rosie~
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
435 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  11:59:07 AM  Show Profile Send ~rosie~ a Private Message
Utterly Brilliant!!

We also have a recumbant, and my spouse won't let himself watch TV unless he earns it by being on the bike. Since I knit to TV, his plan doesn't work for me, but cycling for stash money would do the trick, I think.

I know some people have said that they knit while on the bike, but I know never could. I *can* read, but I don't really enjoy that. I find it more satisfying to do arm/chest exercises at the same time, if anything.

I'm hopelessly addicted. I'm strung out on yarn.
Go to Top of Page

littleturtlemama
Chatty Knitter

100 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  12:01:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit littleturtlemama's Homepage Send littleturtlemama a Private Message
before my third was born, I used to go to the Y and work out ont he recumbent bike, adn take along a small knittign project (like baby hat or booties, etc) and I'd knit away while riding. It sure made excercising seem less tedious ;)

Theresa, knit-at-home mama to AJ, Ethan, MacGregor & my biggest baby:
http://www.littleturtleknits.com
Go to Top of Page

ladyamythyst69
Gabber Extraordinaire

372 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  12:04:17 PM  Show Profile Send ladyamythyst69 a Private Message
I probably could knit while on the bike but probably not very well! Reading is good for me to do because it takes my mind off of what I am really doing. I always get really absorbed in a book so reading helps me keep going! Also a good way to "use up" the stacks and stacks of books I haven't read yet. My book stash is worse than my yarn stash!
Go to Top of Page

PamS
Seriously Hooked

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2005 :  11:08:49 AM  Show Profile Send PamS a Private Message
That's a great idea to cycle or exercise for stash money. Indeed, I just started an exercise plan, although I wish I could knit while excercising. I can't read when on a bike or my Nordic track, it makes me sick--too much bouncing up and down.

Some of you on this thread asked about burning calories. I haven't been to this site but it was recommended on the Weight Watchers message boards, www.calorieperhour.com I hope I got it right.

I thought of something--I save change from my wallet every day (someone once told me that if you saved your change from January until Thanksgiving you'd have about $200 for the holiday shopping season) and i'll convert that money into stash money that I earn while exercising.

We all should report back in a month or so and tell each other what we've earned.

--PamS
Go to Top of Page

indigomuse@verizon.net
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
468 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2005 :  11:24:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit indigomuse@verizon.net's Homepage Send indigomuse@verizon.net a Private Message
The link is http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.html

I've been inspired to start a program I called FAIL (Fiber Addict's Incentive to Lose). For every pound I lose (Friday is weigh in day for me), I get $10 to use toward fiber. For every pound I gain, I will RAOK someone with a fiber related gift. It will help me manage a healthier lifestyle AND encourage me to do some stash bustin'. I'll post my progress on my blog and here. Good luck everyone! :)

IndigoMuse

Musing about my knitting at http://indigomuse.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ladyamythyst69
Gabber Extraordinaire

372 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2005 :  3:29:27 PM  Show Profile Send ladyamythyst69 a Private Message
I'm glad that my crazy scheme is inspiring so many other people to make up yarn for fitness schemes of their own. Now we need to be a support group for each other! I know I will need help - not with sticking to the excersising (11 miles today woohoo!) - but with avoiding the temptation to spend money I haven't earned yet. I need a support group for moments of weakness! Help help!
Go to Top of Page

DoodleEwe
Chatty Knitter

115 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2005 :  7:36:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit DoodleEwe's Homepage Send DoodleEwe a Private Message
What a great idea! It's not only a good way to motivate myself to exercise, but it keeps the yarn budget in check as I won't be able to spend what I haven't yet earned. I'll gladly join your support group, as I'm sure I'll have more weak moments than strong in the beginning, haha.

Families are like fudge . . .mostly sweet, with a few nuts.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.28 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?