Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Completion Issues?
 Neck too big!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

_juge
New Pal

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2002 :  06:07:47 AM  Show Profile Send _juge a Private Message
I faithfully followed the directions in a sweater for DH.
I'm about to put it together and pick up stitches for the
neckband and I can tell it's going to be a big drippy mess,
nearly a v neck even thought it's a crew. Any advice for
drawing it in as I pick up the neck stitches???

It's breaking my heart, as the cable pattern was intricate
and a stretch for me, I ripped and redid it as a labor of
love to show my skill...and it would be beautiful otherwise.

linda-gail
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2002 :  07:58:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit linda-gail's Homepage Send linda-gail a Private Message
I thought that the disaster sweater (see my post under never again)I am trying to knit for my husband would have the same problem, and was ready to have to use a smaller needle than planned to pull the ribbing tighter, and to have to decrease stitches right away. Remarkably, I didn't have to. The neck line seemed to "come together" with the 1st couple of rows of ribbing, and when he tried it on it was just right! Now, if I can only get the sleeves re-knit so they fit....

Go to Top of Page

linda-gail
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2002 :  08:02:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit linda-gail's Homepage Send linda-gail a Private Message
Actually my sweater saga is under worst project nightmare. Sorry.

Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2002 :  1:35:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
Yeah, I know what you mean! I have a cardigan (button-through sweater ) that I have been too scared to try sewing together. As I have made it out of hand-spun yarn I had to alter the guage a little and now I am a bit worried that the sleeve caps will be too big. It has more of a set-in sleeve than a drop shoulder. Just like your pattern, I spent quite a bit of time redoing mistakes . Mine is a slanted ribbing pattern and if I was knitting and talking (I do that a bit ) I would often go wrong! So I hope I don't have to redo the sleeves again. One day soon I will pluck up the courage! If I can pull myself away from the Forums for a while that is !!

KathyR
Go to Top of Page

mokumegane
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2002 :  1:53:50 PM  Show Profile Send mokumegane a Private Message
All I can think of to decrease size of something in an area is to decrease stitches or use smaller needles (or both). I don't know how much help this is, though. I've never had to try it yet (knock on wood- is there any real wood in here?) and hope I don't have to but have seen my mom do it successfully before.

Amanda

quote:

I faithfully followed the directions in a sweater for DH.
I'm about to put it together and pick up stitches for the
neckband and I can tell it's going to be a big drippy mess,
nearly a v neck even thought it's a crew. Any advice for
drawing it in as I pick up the neck stitches???

It's breaking my heart, as the cable pattern was intricate
and a stretch for me, I ripped and redid it as a labor of
love to show my skill...and it would be beautiful otherwise.

Laugh- it keeps you sane!
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2002 :  2:12:14 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
All knitted necklines look grossly large before the ribbing is applied. You are working with an unstable type of fabric. Pick up your neckline stitches where you think they will look good. (I pick all of mine up as to knit) If you have a overly large stretched out stitch on the edge of the neck, pick up that stitch one row in and that will put the stretched out stitch inside the sweater where it will not show. Now count your stitches and compare them to the number indicated by the pattern. Be sure there are enough to make 24 inches of stockinette stitch. Switch to your ribbing stitch on the second row and decrease stitches as necessary to make it fit. Make the ribbing the length recommended in the pattern and look at it. The ribbbing will draw up the edge of the neckline, fill in the extra space and then turn up to snug up to the neck. If it is still a little short, make a few more rows, after all it is your sweater. If this is your first sweater, read directions for binding off LOOSELY or you will draw in the neckline and make it too small.

Fran

Go to Top of Page

_juge
New Pal

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2002 :  04:38:41 AM  Show Profile Send _juge a Private Message
Oooo! Thanks for the advice and support. I was afraid for the
finished product, but you are right. It's my sweater (gosh darn it) and if another rip/redo then so be it! Onward I march! And if worse comes to worse, I'll dress him up like a magazine model with a collar AND scarf underneath to fill in the neckline. DH always claimed to have wanted an ascot. te he.

I too have found that I can't talk and pattern. Maybe I should take that into account in the next project...

I'm nearly done the sleeves, meanwhile I guess I could block the body...I'll keep you posted on the neckline "trials"!

Thanks again, you guys.

Go to Top of Page

AtomicKnit
Chatty Knitter

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2002 :  12:44:45 PM  Show Profile Send AtomicKnit a Private Message
Also keep in mind what EZ says: a "too big" sweater can be vastly remedied by the addition of a little elastic at the neck and cuffs.

I made a marvelous cardigan sweater for the DD with an eyelash-yarn collar, but after being worn the eyelash was heavy enough compared to the body of the sweater that it made the neck sag horribly. I ran a tiny cord of elastic through it and voila! it looks fabulous and fits great.

Go to Top of Page

mokumegane
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2002 :  3:01:19 PM  Show Profile Send mokumegane a Private Message
Ooh, good idea Kim! There's that wonderful clear elastic out there, too!

Amanda

quote:

Also keep in mind what EZ says: a "too big" sweater can be vastly remedied by the addition of a little elastic at the neck and cuffs.

I made a marvelous cardigan sweater for the DD with an eyelash-yarn collar, but after being worn the eyelash was heavy enough compared to the body of the sweater that it made the neck sag horribly. I ran a tiny cord of elastic through it and voila! it looks fabulous and fits great.

Go to Top of Page

djfleesh
Chatty Knitter

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2002 :  3:09:40 PM  Show Profile Send djfleesh a Private Message
hello all:

i really can relate to the frustration _juge. early on in my knitting life, i really got aggrivated when things didn't come out exactly as promised in the pattern. over the years, though i have learned how to look past the pattern, into my mind's eye, make my hands behave, and the end project came out as i wanted it to. then, some time ago, there was an article in one of the knitting magazines, about some designer. her husband would marvel at a piece of work she was in the middle of, only to find out the next morning that she had ripped it out to correct a mistake, or to make it just so. that stuck with me, (not that i am a designer of her caliber, but i do fine on my own), and since then, i have looked at my work differently. my knitting is an extension of myself, and if i see that something is not coming out the way i want it to, i rip it out, use smaller (or larger needles), or change the pattern to suit my needs. now, that being said, it is still frustrating, but stick with it, your husband will love the sweater, because it is an extension of you.

"go 'head girl,"

fleesh

Go to Top of Page

linda-gail
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2002 :  06:29:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit linda-gail's Homepage Send linda-gail a Private Message
Fleesh, I think that must be very true - despite all of the delays and problems, my husband is still anxious for his sweater to be finished so he can show it off!

Go to Top of Page

djfleesh
Chatty Knitter

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2002 :  2:31:09 PM  Show Profile Send djfleesh a Private Message
linda-gail:

i know what you mean. i had finished a sweater for my husband (my jason bourne sweater, inspired by matt damon in the bourne identity, minus the bullet holes in the back), and the arms were waaaay tooooo looooong. i ripped them out, and project is sitting in my basket waiting for a weekend for me to finish it. my husband is getting a little antsy, because all summer i kept telling him, "don't worry, it will be done in plenty of time for the fall!" now, here i sit, it is freezing here on the east coast, and he has no sleeves. so, at least you know that you are not the only one! (haha)

fleesh

Go to Top of Page

_juge
New Pal

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2002 :  5:00:50 PM  Show Profile Send _juge a Private Message
Yep, my DH is itching for this one, too. He wants to wear it hunting even thought with all the cables and fancy stitch work it's really more of a dress sweater (he's not a dress sweater kind of guy - what was I thinking!!) I could do the right thing and race to finish it. It would be safe under a coat and he'd be happy. But the less than gracious part of me wants to hold back for Christmas pictures But, I'll probably do the right thing and race as best as I can...duck season opens in four days.

Go to Top of Page

_juge
New Pal

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2002 :  11:59:40 AM  Show Profile Send _juge a Private Message
Duck season is open. The sleeves are done. After three tries and three nights picking up stitches, I think I've got it now. The neck back picked up per pattern just fine (on a needle TWO sizes smaller). The front I ended up with ten extra stitches, so in my first round, I decreased every other rib (knit to keep it neat and to take it back to the pattern). With 1 inch of ribbing of 2 inches I tried it on DH and I do believe it's going to work!!

Go to Top of Page

mokumegane
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2002 :  4:17:48 PM  Show Profile Send mokumegane a Private Message
Wow, that's good! I'm glad it's working out for you!

Amanda

quote:

Duck season is open. The sleeves are done. After three tries and three nights picking up stitches, I think I've got it now. The neck back picked up per pattern just fine (on a needle TWO sizes smaller). The front I ended up with ten extra stitches, so in my first round, I decreased every other rib (knit to keep it neat and to take it back to the pattern). With 1 inch of ribbing of 2 inches I tried it on DH and I do believe it's going to work!!

Go to Top of Page

_juge
New Pal

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2002 :  09:04:55 AM  Show Profile Send _juge a Private Message
IT'S DONE! IT'S BEAUTIFUL AND IT'S SWEETEST DAY COMING UP!
I want to thank everyone for their help and support, it really gave me the confidence to say "I can do this because if it doesn't work out I'll try something else I have options!" Kniting and boards for therapy.

Thank you. Julie

Go to Top of Page

AtomicKnit
Chatty Knitter

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2002 :  10:27:16 AM  Show Profile Send AtomicKnit a Private Message
Hooray _juge! Congratulations on your sweater. There's nothing half so nice as something turning out right. Now if this hat for my daughter would only turn out right--I did the swatch, I followed the pattern, and so far it looks more like a sleeve than a hat: I can't believe her head is gonna fit in this.

By the way, what the heck is Sweetest Day? I've seen it on calendars for years, and nobody here in the western US seems to know.

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2002 :  4:08:15 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Sweetest day is a day created by card manufacturers to fill in a blank spot on their calendars.......or something like that. It has never really caught on here either.

Go to Top of Page

_juge
New Pal

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2002 :  7:51:44 PM  Show Profile Send _juge a Private Message
fmarrs is right, it really didn't catch on and one doesn't see it on the calendars but one certainly does see it in the card stores.

Kim, Best of luck with the hat.

Julie

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.