Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Talk about books reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Last Minute Knitted Gifts
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DeannaC
New Pal

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2005 :  9:33:37 PM  Show Profile Send DeannaC a Private Message
Does anyone know why this book is so hard to find? When I ordered it yesterday from Borders, they had to get it from the publisher because the distributor didn't have any. Amazon's availability is 13 days, and PurlSoho doesn't even have it on the website (except for the corrections).

Thanks! Deanna

Elizabeth
Permanent Resident

USA
1557 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2005 :  9:37:40 PM  Show Profile Send Elizabeth a Private Message
It must have had a low initial run--they don't print many copies in the first run, though they may increase the number for the second and subsequent printings--at least that is what I remember someone from this forum who is a bookseller explaining about another knitting book that recently sold out its first printing.

Last Minute Knitted Gifts is on my wish list, too!

"If I were to wish for anything, I should not wish for wealth and power, but for the passionate sense of the potential, for the eye which, ever young and ardent, sees the possible." --Soren Kierkegaard
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4387 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2005 :  05:38:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
It will be back soon, I'm sure. I think the reprint is coming this month, so the publisher doesn't have any either. I am keeping it on my general re-order list (I'm one of the booksellers) so when the publisher or distributors get it, I will too. It's one of my favorite knitting books.

Jane

My album: http://mysite.verizon.net/vzenu0u9/
Go to Top of Page

knit_chick
Permanent Resident

1484 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2005 :  10:09:22 AM  Show Profile Send knit_chick a Private Message
KnitPicks carries this book. You might want to call them to verify if they have it in stock.

http://knitchick.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2005 :  10:18:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
You should be able to get it at Amazon.com too...

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
http://knitsonthebus.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Molly C
Seriously Hooked

USA
884 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2005 :  2:00:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Molly C's Homepage Send Molly C a Private Message
You might want to hold off for the second printing. There were a lot of errors in the first printing, so if you do get a first edition you'll have to be sure to print out the errata. Of course, there is no guarantee that all the errors will be removed in the second printing (not sure if any errors were corrected there, actually), but it would probably be worth it to wait at this point.

Molly
http://knittingmolly.blogspot.com

Have a blog? Join the KR Webring and share your blog with the rest of the group! Click here.
Go to Top of Page

jeniflower
New Pal

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2005 :  11:12:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit jeniflower's Homepage Send jeniflower a Private Message
Deanna,

The publisher did indeed sell out of Last Minute Knitted Gifts. The second print is scheduled to arrive soon. If Borders doesn't come through, we will have it back on purlsoho.com soon! I've seen that people are selling used copies on amazon.com also.

Thanks,

Jen
purlsoho.com
Go to Top of Page

DeannaC
New Pal

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2005 :  3:53:28 PM  Show Profile Send DeannaC a Private Message
Thanks for all of your answers. It's hard to be patient when I've read so many good things about this book, but can't find it to see for myself!

Deanna
Go to Top of Page

RachelKnitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2995 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2005 :  4:04:44 PM  Show Profile Send RachelKnitter a Private Message
I know how you feel. I went through the same pain in between printings of Weekend Knitting!
Go to Top of Page

jcallaway
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2005 :  02:32:01 AM  Show Profile Send jcallaway a Private Message
I'm interested in buying this book and thankfully stumbled across this discussion. Does anyone know how you can tell whether or not you're ordering a first or second edition? I want to order it off amazon.co.uk and I've emailed them and asked, but they don't know. Do I just assume that it will be a second edition? Hmmm...

Thoughts anyone?

Jeannine
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4387 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2005 :  04:18:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
You'd need to be able to look inside the book and check the title page. This is definitely one of the drawbacks to ordering online from the big retailers. [Sorry, I'm biased. I manage an indie bookstore.]

At the bottom you will see a set of numbers, "10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1" and the words "First Printing." If the number 1 is missing, or it says anything other than "First Printing," then you don't have a first. Just about every publisher has a different way of presenting this information, so this isn't a general rule. For this book, it'll be a second. As of yesterday the wholesalers hadn't received the reprint yet, so I'm still patiently waiting to restock, and my customers haven't passed out yet...

Good luck, Jeannine! Hope I've helped.

Jane

"Books are where things are explained to you, life is where things aren't and I'm not surprised that some people prefer books." Julian Barnes
My album: http://mysite.verizon.net/vzenu0u9/
Go to Top of Page

CPAknit
Seriously Hooked

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2005 :  08:58:18 AM  Show Profile Send CPAknit a Private Message
Try calling the store- They had copies in there Saturday

Cindy
Go to Top of Page

jcallaway
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2005 :  07:26:56 AM  Show Profile Send jcallaway a Private Message
Thanks Jane- that was very helpful!!

Right now I'm living in Europe and have been waiting (not so patiently) for the English and American bookshops to restock this title, but to no avail. I've found that having limited access to books in English makes you even crazier for them.

:)
j
Go to Top of Page

tejer
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
410 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2005 :  07:47:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit tejer's Homepage Send tejer a Private Message
I really like this book. I\m making the airy scarf in it right now. What have any of you made from this book?

Kristi

My blog: http://kristijo.blogs.friendster.com/my_knitting_blog/
Go to Top of Page

lauraks555
New Pal

42 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2005 :  8:53:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit lauraks555's Homepage Send lauraks555 a Private Message
I've made the Yoga Mat Bag, which was my first experience with felting. It turned out very well, and I know I had the first print of the book. There's an error in the strap instructions, so I'd printed out the errata to keep with the book.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe