Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 favorite sock needles
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

artsymary
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2002 :  5:03:10 PM  Show Profile Send artsymary a Private Message
I love to use the Swallow Casien dpn for socks. They bend with my fingers and don't hurt them. These needles are a milk protein byproduct, have a bit of a odor, but how often do we smell our needles - Try them, you'll love them. I really don't know how small the needles come, look in Patternworks, that's where I got them.

Mary Arias

mary
Go to Top of Page

PamC
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2002 :  6:31:14 PM  Show Profile Send PamC a Private Message
At the following URL you can find all kinds of Pony Pearl needles, including small sized dpn's for socks: http://www.jklneedles.com/html/disccathicatlist.cfm?xyzabc1=1&&xyzabc2=PONYPEARL&startat=1
quote:

My local Hobby Lobby carries these but only in larger sizes. I didn't know they made them small enough to use as sock needles. I'll be curious to see how they work out!

Go to Top of Page

lacylaine
Seriously Hooked

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2002 :  7:28:14 PM  Show Profile Send lacylaine a Private Message
This is my first time on the list. I am so excited because I am in the process of finishing my very first sock! It was so much fun. It started with a pair of spiral rib tube socks for my youngest son. I was so bored with those, I found another ribbing pattern for my older son's tube socks. But, even though I loved the pattern, the project was still boring. That's when I decided that my husband was going to get real socks. I started all this with 5" Brittany Birch dps, but now am using the longer ones. They seem to work a lot better for me. Also, even though the sock pattern called for 4 needles, I am using 5 with better results. All of these socks are in NatureSpun. I can't wait to try the Regia Jacquard that was recently reviewed.

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10
Go to Top of Page

louise
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2002 :  06:10:45 AM  Show Profile Send louise a Private Message
I also like the Brittany 5 inch and the Bryspun. The shorter needles work better because of the few stitches you have on each one. Has anyone tried knitting socks on two circular needles yet?

Go to Top of Page

nitinful
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2002 :  3:33:23 PM  Show Profile Send nitinful a Private Message
I'm brand new to the forum, but I had to weigh in on the double circular's and knitting two socks at a time. I love it, especially knitting them toe-up. My knitting mentor found a website with great pictures for the toe up double circular method: www.ingridknits.tripod.com/2circsox.html. I'm a very visual learner and this site worked great for me. I do a diferent toe and heel than the one listed in the pattern. It does seem to go faster knitting the socks both at the same time and I get them the same measurements, as well.

Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1562 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2002 :  4:26:40 PM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message
www.ingridknits.tripod.com/2circsox.html.

Hi...couldn't find this web site...is the above url correct?

Shirley
Go to Top of Page

armaltd
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2002 :  03:43:20 AM  Show Profile Send armaltd a Private Message
quote:

Hello My favorite sock needles are Inox from Germany size 2.5mm/15cm.
They come in a packet of 5 needles. I like working on 5 needles on socks. The yarn slips nicely on these needles.

Go to Top of Page

pattymk13
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2002 :  11:59:22 AM  Show Profile Send pattymk13 a Private Message
My favorite sock needles are Crystal Palace Bamboo. I knit a lot of baby socks which I donate to hospitals and the size 1 and 0 are the ones I use most. I love the feel of the bamboo and they are very yarn friendly. I adore knitting with dp needles. When people ask me what I'm doing and what are those funny needles made from, I let them feel the bamboo and they are always surprised at the satiny feel. I recently bought Inox round needles for a baby sweater and I am glad to hear they make dps. I am going to look for them.

Go to Top of Page

nitinful
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2002 :  2:30:55 PM  Show Profile Send nitinful a Private Message
I typed the Url incorrectly. It is http://ingridknits.tripod.com/2circsox.html
I know this is right because it's directly from my address bar at the site. I most humbly apologize for my error.

Go to Top of Page

Smock7
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
491 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2002 :  07:27:30 AM  Show Profile Send Smock7 a Private Message
Hi Nitinful,

I love the idea of knitting two socks at once and I went to the site and printed out the pattern and pictures. But, I can't for the life of me figure out how this works when you are turning the heels because you only knit part way and then turn the sock and knit back to the beginning so how do you do this with two socks on the same needles?

Go to Top of Page

BooksAngel
Chatty Knitter

USA
165 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2002 :  10:06:41 PM  Show Profile Send BooksAngel a Private Message
I use an additional needle when knitting the heel short rows. One circular needle holds those stitches and this one is the only circular needle used for the heel. FIrst one heel is turned then the other heel is turned. The instep stitches rest on the other circular needle during this time.
I hope this helps.
I do find using two circular needles makes it easier to put the socks into and removed them from my knitting bag than the nest of double pointed needles ever were. Finishing two socks at once is a blast. Even the grafting is easier with one to practice on. I do find that the non pattern parts go slower just because there are two..
Now all I need to do is find is a use for the 16 point protectors and 8 double pointed needles I use to use. Even double that when I had two pair going at once.
Go to Top of Page

Elizabeth
Permanent Resident

USA
1557 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2002 :  2:25:37 PM  Show Profile Send Elizabeth a Private Message
I recently invested in a complete set of sock needles (8 different sized sets of five needles)from Swallow of Australia. The needles are made of Casein, a milk protein (so you can't soak them in water,or they will soften! Come to think of it, I can't imagine why one would soak knitting needles in water...) Got them on eBay from a place called www.redbarnfarm.net (which has a sweet site that I investigated upon winning the auction - lots of spinning gear).

These Casein needles are a little bit slippery, but they are also quiet, durable, more flexible than plastic--and they do not get cold (like metal needles). I quite like them.

Edited by - Elizabeth on 01/27/2002 14:30:24
Go to Top of Page

TllGrrl
New Pal

34 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2002 :  1:52:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit TllGrrl's Homepage Send TllGrrl a Private Message
quote:

I was in the yarn shop the other day, and the lady who works there said they would be getting some new needles in January. I think she said they were called Pony Pearls. Has anyone had any experience with these? She talked like they were really great needles.

Carolyn

Pony Pearls are plastic needles made from wood (like Rayon) that comes in some very cool fun colours.
The smaller sizes have a wire reinforcement, the larger ones (8+) don't.
I bought a set of short single points about 15 years ago and didn't use them a lot because they were too short for most of my projects, but recently started using them for face cloths, bought some dpn's for learning to make socks, and I really like them.

www.fivefoottwelve.com
"Creativity lies at the interface of discipline and chaos."
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2002 :  12:29:38 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
WARNING WARNING

Elizabeth,

I loved the casein needles I once owned but they do have another problem. They are made from a milk base and although I couln't see the resemblance to milk, my puppy could, and HE ATE THEM. I got up one morning and found the contents of my knitting basket strewn over the living room floor and nothing left of my needles but the plastic cords (they weere circular needles) He had eaten each tip off of the needles and all I had left was the cords. Guard your needles well if you have pets. You will love using them.

Fran

Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2002 :  1:02:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
The folks at Patternworks warned me not to put those caesin needles in my mouth, either, because they tasted terrible.

Now - i wonder how she knew I do sometimes put needles in my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1562 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2002 :  1:34:49 PM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message
quote:
Now - i wonder how she knew I do sometimes put needles in my mouth.

LOL

Doesn't every one?

Shirley
Go to Top of Page

Theresa
Chatty Knitter

Norway
224 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2002 :  3:57:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Theresa's Homepage Send Theresa a Private Message
Upon reading these last posts, I instinctively reached up and removed the needle from my mouth! Dangerous habit, gotta stop.

Theresa
http://bagatell.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Cedar
Chatty Knitter

101 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2002 :  3:50:48 PM  Show Profile Send Cedar a Private Message
Its nice to know I'm not the only one who holds sock needles in her mouth. I do it every needle (while I knit an extra two onto the previous needle to prevent ladders) and so I spend half my time with a stick in my teeth. Of course, I live in Berkeley, so I don't look wierder than anyone else...

I have the casein needles too - they do smell (and taste!) a bit odd, but not enough to put me off. I actually kind of like it, although I'm worried that I'll dissolve my needles if they stay in my mouth too long and get drooly. But they sure are pleasant to work with.

Cedar

PS I just realized this is a very odd post!

Go to Top of Page

Theresa
Chatty Knitter

Norway
224 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2002 :  02:53:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Theresa's Homepage Send Theresa a Private Message
Cedar, it's not odd, it's funny!
I saw this http://flor.freeservers.com/soxx.htm and didn't think I had seen it posted in this thread yet. Not sure tho, so sorry if it's a repeat. I think she's doing heels on these circulars...

Theresa
http://bagatell.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.78 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by