Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 favorite sock needles
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

busypainter
Chatty Knitter

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2001 :  12:51:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit busypainter's Homepage Send busypainter a Private Message
Hello My favorite sock needles are Inox from Germany size 2.5mm/15cm.
They come in a packet of 5 needles. I like working on 5 needles on socks. The yarn slips nicely on these needles.

Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2002 :  3:29:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Sadie - I can't seem to find the Addi Turbo circular with Bamboo tips in a sock size (1 or 2) - in fact, I can't find them smaller than size 5!!! Where did you get yours? I'd love to learn the circular needle sock knitting... I'm buying the book at the end of the month (when I get back from vacation)

P.S. - I'm about the same age as you - funny in your profile how you said you were afraid of funny looks. When I started knitting this fall I got DOZENS of "are you pregnant?" because gosh, the only reason someone our age would want to knit was for neccessary baby gear!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

Smock7
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
491 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2002 :  3:42:17 PM  Show Profile Send Smock7 a Private Message
Be careful of the bamboo circulars. I've heard from several people and a person who owns a knitting store and teaches knitting that the connection between the wire and bamboo are not smooth and a pain to knit on. If you're buying them at a store you might ask to "try them out" to make sure you like them before you commit to buying them.

Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1559 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2002 :  10:23:17 PM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message
Re: bamboo circulars.... loved the Addi Turbo, hated the Clover. There was a real bump in the join between cable and needle and the cables are stiff and have a mind of their own. The AT are smooth as silk.

Shirley
Go to Top of Page

cjreber
Warming Up

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2002 :  10:36:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit cjreber's Homepage Send cjreber a Private Message
Re: Circulars,etc.
I read with a lot of interest all the comments on needles for socks. I have just started my first pair, and I started off with the 6" double points,bamboo. I then switched to a Clover circular size 3, 12" and I really like it! Both the double points (which I will still use because I like the rhythm and the feel of the wood) AND the circular are fun, but both seem to hurt my index finger, no matter what I do. Any ideas? Is this just dumb, or did anyone else get a thrill the first time they "turned a heel"? I couldn't wait to show people! My first sock is almost done and I'm gearing up for the second!
Cyndy

Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1559 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2002 :  10:43:56 PM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message
>>AND the circular are fun, but both seem to hurt my index finger, no matter what I do.<<

When I started knitting with the circulars, the Clovers, I had the same problem. But either changing to Addi's or maybe I just relaxed and loosened up my stitch a little and I don't have that problem any more. I had even forgotten about it until you mentioned it.

Shirley
Go to Top of Page

lindajune
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2002 :  12:12:57 AM  Show Profile Send lindajune a Private Message
I have Swallow casen needles which my yarn shop has sized at 1 1/2.
I've used them with fingering wt, sport wt and the Reggia intarsa.
I also have several larger sizes, 5, 6, 7 and 10, I think. I have some ancient celuloid dpns, but I really prefer the casen needles (once they've aired out and don't stink too much). The casen is more resilient and bendy than bamboo. I've only broken one casen needle, and they have a lot of give, but they don't do 45 degree bends. The casen needles are warm while knitting, the stitches slide smoothly but don't crawl off when I'm not looking. Now if they'd only make them in circular styles...

Go to Top of Page

lindajune
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2002 :  12:12:57 AM  Show Profile Send lindajune a Private Message
I have Swallow casen needles which my yarn shop has sized at 1 1/2.
I've used them with fingering wt, sport wt and the Reggia intarsa.
I also have several larger sizes, 5, 6, 7 and 10, I think. I have some ancient celuloid dpns, but I really prefer the casen needles (once they've aired out and don't stink too much). The casen is more resilient and bendy than bamboo. I've only broken one casen needle, and they have a lot of give, but they don't do 45 degree bends. The casen needles are warm while knitting, the stitches slide smoothly but don't crawl off when I'm not looking. Now if they'd only make them in circular styles...

Go to Top of Page

lsim
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2002 :  12:43:40 AM  Show Profile Send lsim a Private Message
quote:

I prefer bamboo needles, too, since when I'm working in smaller sizes I need more traction to control the yarn. However, I'm a total convert to using two circular needles instead of several dps. So I'd have to say that my favorites are Addi Turbo circulars with bamboo tips.

--Sadie

Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2002 :  05:35:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
I have to chuckle about the caisen needles. When I was talking to the folks at patternworks when I was just begining to buy dp's the lovely person I spoke to warned me not to put them in my mouth. Seems they taste even worse than the smell.

As an added note - I live way out in the country and mail order knitting products from a good two dozen places. Invariably I talk with knowledgeable, friendly and happy salespeople. Even when I am only getting "a friend who's just helping out today" I've had excellent service.

Go to Top of Page

moojmoo
New Pal

10 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2002 :  06:47:50 AM  Show Profile Send moojmoo a Private Message

My favorite sock knitting needles are bamboo. They give me more control and the stitches don't fall off the needles. I would be interested in checking out the Brittany Birch and the Bryspun since I have tried neither.

Go to Top of Page

linda-gail
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2002 :  07:37:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit linda-gail's Homepage Send linda-gail a Private Message
I've tried those Pony Pearls, and I think they are great! The stitches don't slip off like they do on metal needles, but the smaller sizes don't break, either. (I've broken 3 #2's wooden ones)They feel nice to my hand, flex, and are strong.

Go to Top of Page

EWKNITS
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2002 :  08:32:05 AM  Show Profile Send EWKNITS a Private Message
Socks are my favorite thing to knit I have made 15 pairs this holiday season, and now everyone that I made them for want more. I use the bryspun dp needles.They are great, like someone else said they bend when you need them to, and they are so comfortable to work with. I also use their other needles. I find once I started working on them I really can't use any other. I am 51 and I think I am getting a little arthritis and they are excellent for that problem. I highly recommend them and you will not use any other needle once you try them. Unfortunaly they do not come smaller than size 2. I also use bamboo needles with 0-2 but I find that they bend and I also have snapped the size 0.

Go to Top of Page

Knitgirl
Warming Up

79 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2002 :  08:35:03 AM  Show Profile Send Knitgirl a Private Message
I really like the Bryspun needles but as others am disappointed that they don't come in smaller sizes because I too need 1 and 0 for sock yarns. Do I have tried bamboo and the Brtittany Birch. I have bent the Clover needles when knitting and I actually had the Brittany Birch snap on me. (This was while I was on a trip with no knitting places in site. After gluing it twice and still having it snap in the same place I had to spend the rest of the trip without knitting!---of course, I didn't have the 5th needle with me.)

Go to Top of Page

FibersFan
Warming Up

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2002 :  11:06:59 AM  Show Profile Send FibersFan a Private Message
Without a doubt my favorite needles for socks are size 1 Addi Turbo 12" circulars!!! I started out with dpn's and soon came to love the 12" circular. I always work on both socks alternately so I always buy the 12" needles in pairs. That way, I don't finish one sock and have to wait to get the other one done...that second sock seems to take so long!!! I knit rather loosely so I get about 7 sts/in. on the size 1's and I will be ordering size 0's. I have done about a dozen pair now on the circulars and after overcoming the initial awkward feeling of the short needle tips, they are great.

Go to Top of Page

KnittinGranny
New Pal

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2002 :  11:13:18 AM  Show Profile Send KnittinGranny a Private Message
My favorite sock needles are the Crystal Palace 6 inchers. I have also used the Brittany 5 inchers, but don't like the roughness on the needle shaft caused by the stamping they do of size and brand name.

I like the larger sized Brittanys better, but wish they didn't spoil the smoothness of the needles with their stamping.

I have also tried the two circulars for socks, but still prefer the feel and action of the dps. When I use the circulars I prefer the 24 inch needles because they have the longer ends that are easier to hold. I use one Addi Turbo and one Inox Express because the cables are different colors and that make it easier to keep track of which needle to pick up and knit with.

As for the Pony Pearls, a friend of mine who knits lots of socks too tells me she is getting a set of 6 inch PP in sizes 0-1-2. I hope to be able to try them out. I prefer a more rigid needle and these have a metal rod inside the plastic covering, so should remain straight and rigid. The tips have been reworked too to make them more user friendly.

Just my humble opinion!

MaryA

Edited by - KnittinGranny on 01/05/2002 11:16:34

Edited by - KnittinGranny on 01/05/2002 11:20:21
Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2002 :  12:35:33 PM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message

I too purchased the book "Socks Soar on 2 Circs" and for the life of me, I was totally confounded! I tried it and tried it, and then a friend of mine who lives in New Zealand, no less, tried to walk me through it via the internet and emails. Well, the poor thing!! She had her hands full trying to get the concept across to me. As I've mentioned, I'm a mostly "visual" learner and need to see a technique done, rather than read the description from a book.

After getting ready to give up the whole effort, I sat down with...........are you ready for this???? My DH, who can fix anything and can read directions that look they are written in some foreign language to me! He said and I quote "Hon, how do you think I'm going to be able to figure this out------I don't knit" LOL. I told him to just work with me by giving me his impression of where I should be putting the needles (as I type this last sentence, I see how funny this must sound, and I hear someone asking "and just where did he suggest that you put those needles" ).

Anyway, the light finally dawned with both of us sitting there looking at each other, and my DH finally saying to me "well, if you already know how to knit socks on DPN's, then why bother with this method?" I gotta tell you that he has a point (no pun intented).

My friend shed some light on just that thought, when she said to me that learning this method is a bit like learning how to use crutches. It's good to know, but you really don't need to know how to use them unless your leg is broken!

So, my lesson learned is the old adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". I'll stick with what I know for now and get back to you with any and all updates!

"Patience is a virtue", and I sure need it!
Go to Top of Page

Smock7
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
491 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2002 :  2:19:12 PM  Show Profile Send Smock7 a Private Message
Hi Patience,

I too was dumbfounded on how to use two circulars, but once you figure it out, it's so simple it's funny. If you normally knit with 5 dps, here's the easy way to figure it out! The stitches normally on needles 1 and 4 go on ONE CIRCULAR and the stitches normally on needles 2 and 3 go on ONE CIRCULAR. (I have even knit with stitches from needles 1 and 2 on one circular and the stitches from needles 3 and 4 on one circular, but like the other way better.) Now, when you knit, one circular needle is flapping around at the back of your work, untouched! You do not knit with both needles at once! Pick up both ends of ONE CIRCULAR needle, shove the stitches to the end of the needle in your left hand and use the needle in your right hand to knit normally. You are facing the outside/right side of your work with the non-working cable farthest away from you.) When you reach the end of the stitches on this needle, slide the stitches to the center of the cable and DROP this needle completely, turn your work 1/2 circle and pick up both ends of the other circular needle and continue as for the first needle. If you have to....cast onto your dps and then on the first or second row pick up a circular needle and knit off two dps onto the circular, drop that circular and do the same with the next circular needle....sometimes this makes it easier to "see" how it works. Once I figured it out it was too easy, but guess what? I still like my dps better! The 2 circulars work better if your circular needles have a very flexable cable! (**Note: be careful when switching to the next circular needle because the last knitted stitch is sitting on the tiny cable instead of the needle and the stitches could end up too tight where you switch from needle to needle on each side. It's the opposite of when working with dps where we usually end up with a ladder from too loose of stitches between needles.)

Edited by - Smock7 on 01/05/2002 14:25:17
Go to Top of Page

sandrajn
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2002 :  2:46:37 PM  Show Profile Send sandrajn a Private Message

I have some old aluminum dpns with extremely sharp tips that I absolutely love. I don't know the brand, unfortunately, and they're probably not made that sharp any more anyway.
My current favorites are Addi Turbo circulars. Knitting socks on 2 circs is fun and fast, and you never drop a needle . I still use the 5 dpns if I do a sock in a needle size for which I don't yet have circs.
Go to Top of Page

mossbelt
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2002 :  3:42:12 PM  Show Profile Send mossbelt a Private Message
I love the addi bamboo circulars but have just had a size 2 break at the metal join for the first time. Anyone else had this problem?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.58 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?