Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 favorite sock needles
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2001 :  05:21:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
What needles do you like using best when knitting socks? I have a pair of bryspuns in size 2 and 3 and I love the way they bend and curve in those tight stitches. Unfortunately they don't come smaller than size 2. I bought some sock wt. yarn and found even my 2's knit up way too loosely for this thin yarn. I bought some 1's at a craft store, metal ones, one of the brands one finds everywhere. But they hurt my fingers as I knit. I tend to drag the needle tip across my left index finger when I'm knitting and these needles hurt! I had mailorder some bamboo needles in 0's and 1's. This is okay, but the 5 days wait till the package comes can sometimes outlast the enthusiasm one has for a project. I enjoy using the wooden needles at a larger size and am making some wrst. wt. socks right now on size 5's. I have some ribbing on size 0's in socka which is absolutely beautiful - but I found myself daunted by the smallness of the knitting and have set them aside. And I have ordered the book on socks on two circulars and will give them a try someday.

So - what needles do you use?

Smock7
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
491 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2001 :  4:28:57 PM  Show Profile Send Smock7 a Private Message
Hi BessH,

My favorite needles for socks are the bamboo needles from Crystal Palace. They come in a package of 5 instead of 4 which I like better! I'm not sure which brand you purchased or if there is even a difference in brands, but I like my bamboo needles better than the aluminum or steel needles because the stitches do not seem to slide off as easy!

Go to Top of Page

yarnpeddler
Warming Up

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2001 :  6:56:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit yarnpeddler's Homepage Send yarnpeddler a Private Message
My favorite needles for socks are the 5 inch Brittany birch. They are great and I have every size. I have given up using the size 0 and 1 however, as they always break. The clover bamboo are nice too although I'm not crazy about the longer length. I like the non metal as they are light weight and stay in the stitches. I have just purchased several sets of the Bryspun and am looking forward to trying them.

Go to Top of Page

e_looped
Seriously Hooked

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2001 :  12:41:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit e_looped's Homepage Send e_looped a Private Message
I completely agree with Smock7. I have used aluminum and bamboo needles and I love my Crystal Palace bamboo needles. I use the 6 inch length because the short length makes them easier to work on. I love the bamboo because they bend slightly but they don't break. I didn't discover the bamboo needles until last year. I knew there had to be a better way to make mittens than always loosing my stitches. Then when I learned to make socks and used the bamboo, I realized - wow what a major difference!

erica :)

Life is like knitting sometimes it's smooth and sometimes it's bumpy.
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2001 :  05:05:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
Hello back Smock7 et al

I love the bamboo needles. I've developed a mitten pattern for worsted wt yarn using wooden birch needles that I'm so pleased with that everybody is getting them for Christmas. Since i'm using the needles a lot right now I'm once again reminded of how very much I enjoy double points. Once you master holding them (i'm still getting comfortable with holding 5 needles) they are such fun. And if you are at all prone to hand problems, which most of us who use computers a lot are, they really help because you have to stop and move the needles around every so many stitches and that forces you to give your hand a break, warding off repetitive stress injuries.

I am gearing up to offer a one day workshop, after Christmas, on knitting a mitten . I don't have a LYS but our Parks department will let me teach just about anything I want. and double points are such an adventure.

And Erica - I am soooo jealous of you lucky folk who are just a zip away from a yarn shop. But I do think I would be broke a lot more often if I did.

Go to Top of Page

stitches
New Pal

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2001 :  09:12:34 AM  Show Profile Send stitches a Private Message
I also use bamboo needles for socks. I actually use them for everything because the yarn stays put. I like the 6 inch. dpn's and I use the 10 inch straights. I can't work with long needles because they just get in the way and drive me crazy.

Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2001 :  7:30:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
I just recently learned socks, and did fine after a few mistakes, but I would like to get som bamboo ones, instead of the metal ones! I have started using wooden regular needles, for my wrist's sake, and I love them. We even made some wooden size 7 1/2 from a dowel- you just sand them after cutting, sharpen the ends with a pencil sharpener, and we made balls from polymer clay for the other ends, baked the clay(press sticks in ball first) and glue on the ends. You can experiment to get the right size dowel for the size needles you need.

Go to Top of Page

KnitWitch
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2001 :  10:35:44 PM  Show Profile Send KnitWitch a Private Message
I prefer bamboo needles, too, since when I'm working in smaller sizes I need more traction to control the yarn. However, I'm a total convert to using two circular needles instead of several dps. So I'd have to say that my favorites are Addi Turbo circulars with bamboo tips.

--Sadie

Go to Top of Page

e_looped
Seriously Hooked

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2001 :  08:52:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit e_looped's Homepage Send e_looped a Private Message
I've been wondering about the socks on circulars too. I just don't see how they can be as easy as dpns. Although dpns aren't easy when you're first starting, you get a rhythm going with them and you don't think twice about them being in your way.

Has anyone wanted to buy the Regia needles just to get the cute little sock ends?? I so want to buy every set just to have the little socks - the name of the little things escapes my mind at the moment.

erica :)

Life is like knitting sometimes it's smooth and sometimes it's bumpy.

Edited by - e_looped on 12/07/2001 08:55:18
Go to Top of Page

yarnpeddler
Warming Up

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2001 :  1:06:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit yarnpeddler's Homepage Send yarnpeddler a Private Message
I just received my Patternworks 2002 catalog and they have the "cute little sock ends" for sale separately. They are point protectors. A good stocking stuffer!! LOL!!!

Edited by - yarnpeddler on 12/07/2001 13:08:39
Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1559 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2001 :  4:22:22 PM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message
Has anyone used the two circular needle method and could you give us some description of how to go about it? I tried it but, couldn't make much sense of it. I have the "Socks Soar On Two Circular Needles" ordered, but it hasn't arrived yet and I am anxious to start.

I have seen the little sock ends and may have to order some...if I can get this two needle thingy going.

Shirley
Go to Top of Page

tegakat
New Pal

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2001 :  5:57:45 PM  Show Profile Send tegakat a Private Message
I have the little sock protectors & they are so cute, now to learn to knit socks. But I can look at the little sock protectors & get inspired.
Sounds dumb but I like little cute things.

Tega

Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1559 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2001 :  5:09:09 PM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message
Sadie, I am too! Now that I figured it out!

quote:

However, I'm a total convert to using two circular needles instead of several dps. So I'd have to say that my favorites are Addi Turbo circulars with bamboo tips.

--Sadie

Shirley
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Forum Admin

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2001 :  06:50:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage Send Admin a Private Message
What about the 5" birch DPNs from Brittany? Yes, they're a bit more fragile than bamboo (I snapped one during a long plane flight). And yes, Crystal Palace bamboo DPNs develop a truly succulent patina over time. But for some reason I'm totally hooked on those shorter DPNs now.

I'm doing another pair of socks on longer DPNs and find I can't sit at my local coffee shop and hold the knitting in my lap without a) the needles hitting the table or b) the needles poking into me at a most, um, unfortunate region of my chest. Sigh!

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

Knitting Fever
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
548 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2001 :  6:12:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knitting Fever's Homepage Send Knitting Fever a Private Message
I was in the yarn shop the other day, and the lady who works there said they would be getting some new needles in January. I think she said they were called Pony Pearls. Has anyone had any experience with these? She talked like they were really great needles.

Carolyn

Go to Top of Page

Smock7
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
491 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2001 :  7:13:38 PM  Show Profile Send Smock7 a Private Message
My local Hobby Lobby carries these but only in larger sizes. I didn't know they made them small enough to use as sock needles. I'll be curious to see how they work out!

Go to Top of Page

yarnpeddler
Warming Up

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2001 :  8:20:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit yarnpeddler's Homepage Send yarnpeddler a Private Message
Clara, I love the 5 inch Brittany, too. For socks, mittens, etc. I used to use the four inch glove needles but found them to be just a little too short. And like you, find the 7-8 inch too long for comfort. I have just started using the 5 inch Bryspun and like them a lot, but the Brittany are still my favorites. I have all the sizes. However, I have had problems with the 0's and 1's breaking.

Carolyn, If my hunch is correct, I believe the Pony Pearls were previously marketed under the name Nacro. Made in France their look and description are incredibly similar. I have many sizes of the Nacro. My favorites are the 8 inch straight needles. The Nacro double points came in 8 inch length. I see in Patternworks, the Pony Pearls double points come in 8 and 12 inch lengths. As plastic needles go, these are my favorites. However, aside from socks and mittens, I do most of my knitting on Addi circulars.

Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2001 :  03:02:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
Carolyn - I found the pony pearls too blunt to knit socks with. But I was just learning how to both knit with dp's and knit socks. it was very frustrating. If you are already comfortable with both skills then they are very pretty colors.

Go to Top of Page

Knitting Fever
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
548 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2001 :  2:50:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knitting Fever's Homepage Send Knitting Fever a Private Message
I appreciate all the feedback on the Pony Pearls. I guess it will depend on the type of yarn I am using whether I would like them or not. I just bought some Wildfoote yarn, and I definitely do not think I would like to use the Pony Pearls on it. It seems to want to split pretty easily. After I posted, I realized these needles had been reviewed by Clara on this site , but I am happy to be getting feedback from all of you, also.

Carolyn

Go to Top of Page

Janine
Chatty Knitter

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2001 :  11:51:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Janine's Homepage Send Janine a Private Message
I tried the Bryspun, but don't like them that much. They don't come in sizes small enough for me - the littlest is US2, but I use US0 and US1 for socks.

I have some of the Brittany birch needles and a lot of bamboo needles. I really like the natural fiber needles because they are light and they bend. I alternate between the birch and bamboo for variety. I also think that certain sock yarns knit better with one or the other. I have frogged out a perfectly good cuff done in bamboo only to knit it again with the same size birch needles. ;-)

If I had to pick, though, I'd have to say that my favorite is the Regia aluminum needles. I do love the sockie point protectors (even though they are a little impractical) and the finish is not too smooth, not too rough.

Go to Top of Page

cast-on
Warming Up

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2001 :  11:31:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit cast-on's Homepage Send cast-on a Private Message
Wooden DPN needles are absolutely essential. Wooden are also best for anyone learning basic knitting. Anyone interested in purchasing the "hard to find" ebony (recycled, environmentally friendly) needles made by "Suzanne" will be interested to know that they are featured on "Martha By Mail" (Martha Stewart's website). Her marketing dept. apparently doesn't knit as they were marked at exactly half regular price and with a 20% discount for first time shoppers, that covers S&H and tax. They are sold in sets of 4 sizes of DPN and circulars.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.73 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?