Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 On the Needles
 Feeling oppressed
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  11:54:55 AM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
Today I'm feeling oppressed by the number of WIPs I have. I can't even count them. I have a sweater that is nearly done but I got distracted by new wool and made a different sweater (and actually finished it). I made a hat for my sister and hated it so never made the matching scarf. Gave her a different very nice scarf instead. I have a lace scarf (zephyr) that has about 6 inches completed but it's one of those patterns where you have to pay attention on every row - none of this purl the WS rows stuff that I love. I'm doing a triangular shawl out of Noro that is so much fun. I'm doing a multidirectional scarf out of Inspirations yarn to go with the cute hat that was her first mystery kit and that's going well. I have to finish a cotton top that I need to do the short sleeves then attach them to the body and do the yoke. For some reason I'm just frozen on that one. Then theres's a bin full of stuff that I'm afraid to look at because who knows what else I started and never finished. Oh, theres's a baby loop mohair feather and fan shawl.

In spite of feeling oppressed by all this, I have the strong desire to start something new, a cabled sweater out of the Jo Sharp Silk Road Ultra I got from Elann. I swatched so I'm all ready to go, but I'm restraining myself.

I'm telling you all this because I know you all will say something to make me feel better about myself.

Anita

See my completed projects!
http://www.picturetrail.com/achrisvet

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4165 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  12:30:31 PM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message
Anita, they will all get finished sooner or later!

I'm have some zephyr too, but I'm scared to start because of your very reason. Is an unstarted project better or worse than a UFO?

But it is a new year, so there's plenty of time to finish things!

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  12:36:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Anita, dear, why do you knit? Do you knit for things? Or do you knit for the process and the inspiration?

If you knit for things, that's great - then figure out how you can best make those WIPs into things - maybe put all the others aside and focus on one and a time, in increasing order of difficulty. Maybe work on each 10 minutes a day, whatever works for you.

If you knit for the process, hide enough that you're not feeling overwhelmed anymore, and then knit and enjoy them!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  5:53:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Anita, you just have an abundance of creativity! That should make you feel GOOD about yourself!

Lissa

Hey - I MEANT to do that!
Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

storiesr
Sustaining Member

694 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  6:29:01 PM  Show Profile Send storiesr a Private Message
I guess I am one of those rare wierd people who only have one or two projects going at a time and I love to finsih!!
Just finished the Newsboy cap from SnB Nation. My niece was wanting to knit it up and wanted me ahead of her so she could ask for advice along the way. Done, fits, and wearing it!! ... a rarity for me these days; no actually months....maybe 2005 will be my year!!

Laura

We may not be able to control the wind, but we can direct our sails!
Go to Top of Page

Elizabeth
Permanent Resident

USA
1557 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  6:46:22 PM  Show Profile Send Elizabeth a Private Message
Anita--I am just like you!!

I'm bad because I seem to hide the ones I lose interst in (unintentionally, of course).

Confession: I have an Annie Modisett hat that I started last summer that I can't seem to return to. I have most of one sock, where I broke one of my swallow casein needles and can't face finding new dpns to finish, knowing I'll have the other sock to do as well. I have my grandpa's Christmas present which I didn't finish on time, and I really should finish and mail it to him--BUT I got a Hanne Falkenberg kit for Christmas, so how can I not start that? I have Martheme's Yarn Inspirations Christmas surprise kit--beautiful yarn, but I am not sure if the pattern is going to work. I've found some perfect, local, organic grey DK wool which will make a perfect Irish Diamond shawl, unless I need to turn it into the soon-to-be-trendy capelet. I have a cone of Louet euroflax that I want to make into curtains. I have nine more finger puppets to complete spo that I have a set of Old Macdonald Had a Farm puppets for my nephews...

Yikes. I think this is why I am online right now instead of knitting....

"If I were to wish for anything, I should not wish for wealth and power, but for the passionate sense of the potential, for the eye which, ever young and ardent, sees the possible." --Soren Kierkegaard
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  7:34:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
And some projects are not meant to be finished. They are meant to introduce you to a pattern, technique or fiber only long enough to see if you like it. And all projects have their own time. Time to be dreamed up, time to be cooking, time to be ripped out or completed. It may just not be their time yet.

Bess
http://likethequeen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  04:26:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
Unfinished? I have a cardigan that I knit including buttonholes. I bought very nice buttons which have been sitting in a bag for a month while I keep wearing the sweater WITHOUT BUTTONS. And yet......it wasn't that long ago that I went to work in Chanel suits.......my, how times change......
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  1:02:13 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
I love you guys! I knew I came to the right place! I do feel better! Thanks!

quote:
I'm have some zephyr too, but I'm scared to start because of your very reason. Is an unstarted project better or worse than a UFO?

Oh please don't even get me started on unstarted projects! My stash is unbelievable. Sometimes I get paralyzed just trying to think which sweater I should start next. I've swatched for about 3 of them, but I'm dying to use this Jo Sharp and it has in interesting complex cable.

I will at least finish my Noro shawl first!

Really.

Anita

Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  3:59:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Just bring 'em to KnitKnutz, hon...we'll encourage the daylights out of you!

Lissa

Go to Top of Page

lemons
Permanent Resident

1692 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  6:52:31 PM  Show Profile Send lemons a Private Message
An unstarted project is like an unread book. They're both money in the bank for some time in the future, meant not only to knit or read but to keep you feeling secure.

lemons of missouri
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  6:56:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
Anita,

Don't fret! Just like anything else, break the stuff down into baby steps. First, make a priority list, and then begin and work your way through -- 15 minutes at a time if need be!

Don't fear starting a new project -- I do this all the time. Sometimes just casting on something new gives me the impetus to finish off something else.

Go, girl!

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
http://knitsonthebus.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  8:26:32 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
I'm nearly done with the multidirectinal scarf! I weighed the yarn before doing the last triangle and got 48 grams. I did one triangle and got 31 g. So I should have enough for one triangle and the finishing triangle.

I have to go to a meeting tomorrow and I will work on it then. Maybe I can finish it before the weekend. Woohoo!
Anita

Go to Top of Page

moxie
Seriously Hooked

844 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  10:03:27 PM  Show Profile Send moxie a Private Message
Oi Anita! One stitch at a time!

Glad to hear that you got over your oppression. I know exactly how you feel-- I go along gleefully starting projects, but periodically I freak out. Then I know it's time to slow down and focus on one thing. If I then manage to finish one thing, the resulting feeling of victory often gives enough energy to attack the other stuff, and bam bam bam a bunch of projects are completed!

quote:

And some projects are not meant to be finished. They are meant to introduce you to a pattern, technique or fiber only long enough to see if you like it. And all projects have their own time. Time to be dreamed up, time to be cooking, time to be ripped out or completed. It may just not be their time yet.

Thank you, Bess.

Moxie
Go to Top of Page

Margaretx
New Pal

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  06:24:07 AM  Show Profile Send Margaretx a Private Message
I could feel oppressed but I've got a cold and NOTHING looks good!!! I actually finished 4 scarves for Christmas gifts and I got those triangular scarf pattern and another one that appears challenging. Then I got some glorious Kureyon for a felted purse and I can't wait to start that. I found some Berocco Hip-Hop for my sister's scarf in Autumn Leevz and I've done it in seed stitch which has just shown up the beauty of the wool. It's really lovely. However.....I decided to make a scarf for her husband and I haven't started that one yet. You understand that these are Christmas gifts that haven't been sent yet. Luckily they live in the UP and will have cold FOREVER!

I read Rosebyany's queries about why we knit and I knit for the process. I love gardening, too because it's never finished. I believe these scarves that I've finished are the first projects completed in years. I try not to pick things that have to have a completion. LOL!

It does help to be aware of what it is that compels me to knit, crossstitch, bead, garden, paint, whatever. I'm thinking it's hand work. Keeping that devil at bay, doncha know!

So much to create, so little time....
Go to Top of Page

terigeek
Chatty Knitter

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  10:01:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit terigeek's Homepage Send terigeek a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by lemons

An unstarted project is like an unread book. They're both money in the bank for some time in the future, meant not only to knit or read but to keep you feeling secure.

lemons of missouri

Very well said!

*waves to lemons*

Teri
Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  10:19:23 AM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message
Anita,

I can commiserate with you 100%.....and every New Year, I resolve to finish at least 3 WIP's before starting anything new. Have I ever lived up to this resoltion...NO, of course not! I may finish one, possibly two, which serves to make me feel so wonderful that I naturally justify starting yet another project.

I really like what Rose by Any said: "Why do you knit? Do you knit for things or for the process"? I will keep that in mind as I begin to obsess about finishing.

Laura, I think it's great to be the way you are....one or two projects going and they actually get finished!

Bess, you're so right, that some things are just meant to be learning experiences and then we have to move on.

Finally, Lemons, I love the way you think! You're so right!

Hugs, Patience
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  6:54:56 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
I get enough guilt (and oppression) in my life without adding my knitting to it. I know enough now not to tackle something that will thake 6 months to complete (I won't), I try really hard not to take on things with hard completion deadlines.

If you knit for relaxation and enjoyment . . .

Barbara
Remember, we're self-selecting!

My photos: I've gone back to yahoo!
My blog:
Go to Top of Page

Ruby Plaid
Seriously Hooked

USA
661 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2005 :  11:37:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ruby Plaid's Homepage Send Ruby Plaid a Private Message
Laura-I'm dying to make the SnB Nation newsboy cap! What color is yours? I really like the purple they used, but I'll want to see if there are some other colors that strike my fancy. This is definitely one of my projects in the wings for 2005.

Do you like that SnB book? I got it for Christmas and I can't wait to make a bunch of things from their patterns. I really want to make the White Russian bonnet too-it looks adorable!

Congrats on your cap!

http://www.geocities.com/hotelcrafty
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2005 :  8:29:44 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
I did it! I starated something else! I'm making a jo Sharp sweater from the Silk Road Ultra I got on Elann recently. It has a very complicated cable up the front. I started it and I'm glad.

But I did finish the scarf and I'm fairly close to finishing the shawl. So it's OK. Really.

Anita, knitting fool

Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2005 :  9:13:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Folks, Anita lost her mother-in-law yesterday after a long, slow illness. let's all give her a big (((((((((((HUG))))))))))).

Lissa

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.69 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth