Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 Sock Wool Prices in US/Overseas
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2002 :  11:07:58 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Greetings! I've been checking out the cost of Regia/Opal/Jawoll on ebay and the web sites suggested by forum posters. I was really surprised to find such a huge difference in price between Canada and the US - it's actually cheaper to buy it at home in Canada! The LYS owner told me it's because the US slaps heavy tariffs on foreign yarns, and also because Canada generally has a longer history with the importers. What do you pay at your LYS/IYS(internet yarn shop) for Regia, Opal, Jawoll - higher end sock yarns? I'd really love to get an idea of the regional variations, if any!

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi

navyseel
Chatty Knitter

142 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2002 :  11:40:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit navyseel's Homepage Send navyseel a Private Message
Of the ones you mention, I've only used Regia so far, and have paid between USD $6 and $6.95 per ball at LYS in New York and San Francisco. I've seen it sold for USD $5.40 or so at some internet sites, but haven't bought any. What about you?

Celia
Go to Top of Page

djfleesh
Chatty Knitter

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2002 :  3:30:31 PM  Show Profile Send djfleesh a Private Message
you are so right about that! i usually wait for sales for my sock yarn. i made a run up to toronto earlier this year, and made sure to pick up a bunch of sock yarn. i also make a trip to europe once a year, and get as much as the american dollar can stand. i did once order a bunch of regia from germany through ebay. that was before europe went to the euro, and i made a major killing. it worked out to like $3.10 a ball, including shipping!! now the dollar to euro is not as great, but you can still get a good deal. since then, though, i am almost exclusively shopping with canadian dealers.

fleesh
Go to Top of Page

GreysMom2
Chatty Knitter

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2002 :  4:01:08 PM  Show Profile Send GreysMom2 a Private Message
I have purchased Regia and Opal, both from the internet because neither of my LYS's carry sock yarns (I know, I can't believe it either). I paid $5.95 to $6.00 per skein for the Regia, and about $10 to $12 per skein for the Opal. If the price per skein is less going through a Canadian merchant, would the shipping negate the savings on the yarn? If not, please tell me where I can go on the web to order online from a Canadian dealer! I would love to save some money on my sock yarns, seeing as how my addiction to them is totally out of control and I have lost all hope of ever going more than a week without ordering something!

Kim
Go to Top of Page

carols
Permanent Resident

USA
1681 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2002 :  11:56:08 AM  Show Profile Send carols a Private Message
Hi. Opal goes for $12 to 12.95 a skein in the Philly area. I think Regia is 6 something for a 50g skein. Hope this helps,
Carol
p.s. you can save money the same way buying Rowan and Jaeger from yarn shops in Great Britain, even after shipping.

Go to Top of Page

djfleesh
Chatty Knitter

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2002 :  2:37:26 PM  Show Profile Send djfleesh a Private Message
hi greysmom:

you might try redbirdknits.com. robin has some good deals on regia and fortissima. her prices are really good, and her customer service is great! she was out of something for me, drove out to the distributer to get it, and sent it to me. also, applelaine.com, they specialize in koigu yarns for socks.

happy hunting,

fleesh

Go to Top of Page

indigirl
New Pal

39 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2002 :  4:00:07 PM  Show Profile Send indigirl a Private Message
Hi! I'm also looking for a Canadian shop that would sell and ship Opal yarn within Canada. I haven't found one yet! Ram Wools sells the Fortissima... but no other variations.

Thanks in advance!

:-) Amy
Go to Top of Page

madams716
Chatty Knitter

USA
206 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2002 :  11:19:20 AM  Show Profile Send madams716 a Private Message
Amy,

Here is a Canadian shop that I really like:

http://members.rogers.com/doublediamonds/

They don't currently list Opal, but do carry a selection of sock yarns - including Confetti, which I am really enjoying working with.

Mary

Go to Top of Page

indigirl
New Pal

39 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2002 :  3:11:37 PM  Show Profile Send indigirl a Private Message
Thanks Mary!

It does seem like everyone here carries the Fortissima... just not Opal. Hmm. I wonder if they can even import it?

--Amy
Go to Top of Page

BooksAngel
Chatty Knitter

USA
165 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2002 :  2:26:24 PM  Show Profile Send BooksAngel a Private Message
I've, been buying Opal sock yarn from a Canadian supplier on ebay. Try there. She usually starts them under $10.00 but most go higher before the auction is over.

Angel

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?