Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting as Therapy
 It's Better Than the Patch
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dezzmac
New Pal

13 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2002 :  09:56:00 AM  Show Profile Send dezzmac a Private Message
I've been smoking for oh my God 20 years, I quit smoking April 19 of this year the only stop-smoking-aides I use are my knitting needles and yarn. When I get an urge I pick up the needles. When I get anxious I pick up the needles. When I get mean and nasty due to nicotine withdrawl I pick up the needles. It's been working I'm going on 6 months. Prior to quitting, I only had about 3 months total knitting experience. Knitting is all I do according to some. Have a gave up one habit for another. Am I a knitting Junkie???

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2002 :  10:23:52 AM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message
<<"Am I a knitting Junkie?">>

Yes, but there's nothing wrong with that!! I think we all fall under that category. I think it's great that it's working for you because I know how hard it must be to give up something you like and crave----mine is sweets and believe me, it's just as addictive. Trouble is, I don't have the same luck when trying to avoid those cravings and I really need to cut out all the sweets and get down to the serious business of eating healthier and losing that dreaded flab!

Keep up the good work with your "knitting" rather than your "smoking" and you too will be so much healthier and be happier too! Way to go!!

Regards, Patience
Go to Top of Page

katxena
Chatty Knitter

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2002 :  11:24:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit katxena's Homepage Send katxena a Private Message
Congratulations on quitting! 6 months is really fabulous. I work in substance abuse research, and most studies find that if you can quit smoking (and stay quit) for 6 months, you are less likely to go back. That seems to be the cut-point, so your accomplishment is very important!

I have been using the same tactic as part of my weight-loss program. It's hard to eat a pint of Ben & Jerry's if your hands are full of yarn!

Kris
http://www.papaya-palace.com
Go to Top of Page

djfleesh
Chatty Knitter

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2002 :  12:27:29 PM  Show Profile Send djfleesh a Private Message
hi dezzmac:

congrats on the progress! it is a real accomplishment, and you couldn't have picked a better way to quit! not only will you be healthier, your wardrobe will improve! your patience will grow in leaps and bounds, and all of your friends will be pea green with envy when you unviel your latest creation(s). . . keep it up!

fleesh

Go to Top of Page

linda-gail
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2002 :  5:20:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit linda-gail's Homepage Send linda-gail a Private Message
Great Job!!!!! I wish I could stop chocolate as easily.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe