Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Embarrassing habits when admiring yarn
 losing all sense of space and time
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

djfleesh
Chatty Knitter

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2002 :  7:05:25 PM  Show Profile Send djfleesh a Private Message
i find that when i am in shops looking for yarns, i tend to block out everything around me except that fabulous fiber. it happened just today, the shop owner was talking to me, the music was playing, but i was lost in a zone (what will i make with this bunch? how much am i going to save? how will i get it in the house without my husband seeing it?). quite to my embarrassment, i looked up like a kid caught with her hand in the cookie jar, my arms full of some beautiful teal wool, looking at an expectant shop owner. . . i still have no idea what she asked me! family members now refuse to join me when i head into a shop, because not only do i lose sense of my surroundings, but total sense of time (minutes? what are they? hours? that's more like it). fortunately, the shop owner at today's shop just nodded knowingly, and left me to it!

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2002 :  04:59:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message

You're singing my song. It is worse when I go with my cousin, because we are very much in tune to each other and we're also extreme Extroverts aka Meyers Briggs personality test. A sort of electric current of communication snaps between us and we get louder and chattier and squealier and noisier and forget that we are NOT alone and spill things on the floor (yes we do pick them back up and put them away) and never go home. In fact, we do not go together to "just look" because we know we will drive the shop owner crazy. We go when we have $$ to spend which makes up for our lost control, and after all, we are at least quite enthusiastic shoppers.

We do go to large department stores to "just look", but we figure the sheer size of the store mitigates the presence of us. Two rubes from the country.

I hope you bought your beautiful teal yarn.

Go to Top of Page

djfleesh
Chatty Knitter

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2002 :  2:58:49 PM  Show Profile Send djfleesh a Private Message
hi bess:

yes i bought the yarn (eeehee), and i have got to go shopping with you guys!! (too much fun)

Go to Top of Page

Dot
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2002 :  4:32:35 PM  Show Profile Send Dot a Private Message
Do you two sound familiar! I cannot enter a yarn shop if I'm in a hurry. Even when I'm going for something very specific like a needle size I don't have or stitch markers! Oh, if I'm not shopping for yarn, I'll be disciplined about not spending the $$, but I'll still roam the shelves, stroking, imagining projects.

And Bess, you and your cousin sound like my knitting friend and me when we go to Smiley's yarn sales. The folks that work there know that we're all but moving in when we arrive. No matter how well we think we've planned each venture, patterns in mind, matched to yarns on the flyer, we end up just going nuts, chattering away about an unconsidered yarn, finding non-sale items they hadn't had before, searching their pattern books for new ideas. More than once, a woman who works there has laughingly suggested that we might need to break for lunch and come back! Renew our strength. And yes, we always go prepared to spend. It's the least we can do after they've good-naturedly indulged our hours of questions and indecision on a busy sale day.

Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2002 :  02:53:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
Whew. Secretly I've always felt a little ashamed that I was so "present" whenever I went to the city to shop. Now I see that I'm just an enthusiastic shopper. .

My birthday was 2 weeks ago and said cousin and I visited GotYarn in Richmond, VA. They were having a pre-moving sale and we both bought enough of a fabulous eyelash yarn, called Stars, by Adriafil, to make Christmas sweaters which we will finish by *December, to wear with velvet skirts, as well as lose 10 lbs and grow long flowing hair and unbroken fingernails.

Ah hope is such a gift.

We must all go shopping together sometime.

*Note I did not say which December. perhaps 2008

Go to Top of Page

dezzmac
New Pal

13 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2002 :  12:27:17 PM  Show Profile Send dezzmac a Private Message
djflessh:

I know what you mean you get into the "zone"

I never been in a yarn shop before(I live 25 miles south of Savannah,Georgia), but I already know I will lose my mind. You should witness my online shopping excursions. I spend hours upon hours looking for yarns, reading descriptions, imaging how it's going to feel and look like. I'm in the "zone". When the box(s) arrive to the house, before, I open the boxes I make room on the floor in my sitting room I get a sheet lay it out on the floor and place my box(s) of yarn in the center. I quickly open the box. I slowly pull each and every skein, ball, and hank. I smell it, I look at it, and I finally rub it against my neck(the place on my body more prone to break outs). Before long, I'm surrounded in a sea of yarn as happy as a kid in a candy store.

I keep think about taking trips north to Virginia to visit my in-laws, anyone know where I can get some yarn from in the Tidewater area of Virginia, or I may visit my family in Philadelphia (where's the yarn).
Go to Top of Page

LJ
Permanent Resident

USA
1939 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2002 :  07:52:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit LJ's Homepage Send LJ a Private Message
We have several wonderful stores in Tidewater (Norfolk, Portsmouth, Va Beach, Chesapeake) area

The Knitting Corner
The Hook and I
Eweknitkits.com

Let me know if you need more information.

LJ

Go to Top of Page

dezzmac
New Pal

13 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2002 :  11:55:25 AM  Show Profile Send dezzmac a Private Message
quote:

We have several wonderful stores in Tidewater (Norfolk, Portsmouth, Va Beach, Chesapeake) area

The Knitting Corner
The Hook and I
Eweknitkits.com

Let me know if you need more information.

LJ

Hi LJ:

In two weeks, I will be traveling to the Suffolk, I would appreciate it if you could give me directions to some shops. My husband driving and he likes to no exactly where he is going. Thank-You for your help.
Desiree

Go to Top of Page

Groda
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2002 :  9:55:52 PM  Show Profile Send Groda a Private Message
As stupid as this may sound,(whispering) I smell the yarn!!!! How crazy is that?!? I love the smell of wool especially-but new yarn smells good!! Really,

Go to Top of Page

djfleesh
Chatty Knitter

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2002 :  3:56:42 PM  Show Profile Send djfleesh a Private Message
hmmmmm groda:

smelling the yarn. that sounds funny, but i know what you mean. i may need to add that to my in store routine!!! (haha)

fleesh

Go to Top of Page

KnittenKitten
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2002 :  09:11:58 AM  Show Profile Send KnittenKitten a Private Message
djfleesh, Bess, Dot, dessmac and Groda,

This is my first attempt at replying so please bear with me. We have a wonderful yarn shop here in Provo Utah. The experience starts as you drive down the tree lined street. There are trees also in the center. Then you arrive at Heindselman's and walking in you know you've just entered heaven. I think I could spend days there. Sounds wonderful to smell the yarn but my snout wouldn't corporate. But nun the less there are tons of other heavenly experiences. I haven't read any of you mentioning a cozy little spot where there are chairs and you can just come and knit, chochet or what ever. Socialize with people you have lots in commen with and just knit knit knit. Now doesn't that sound like heaven or what!!! The staff there are sweet, patient and lovely. Happy knitting all

Judy

Judy Jutz-Gordon
Go to Top of Page

JudyT
New Pal

13 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2002 :  2:41:21 PM  Show Profile Send JudyT a Private Message
One of my absolute favorite things is to shop for yarn. Up until the last year or so, we had a FABULOUS yarn shop about an hour away from home. We went up two or three times a year and just spent a day there, looking, touching, dreaming, thinking, guessing how much yarn would be needed for a project, choosing, paying, breaking for lunch, then going back for the one we didn't buy. Now, I'm sorry to say, NO yarn shop! I am reduced to catalogs and the internet, and while it works and I keep knitting, the fun is about 1/10th of the old way. WE NEED MORE KNITTERS!

Go to Top of Page

Snowcat
New Pal

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2002 :  5:08:38 PM  Show Profile Send Snowcat a Private Message
I know what you all mean with forgeting about the rest of the world when in my knit shop. I've been there as the owner has been putting away new fibers. I love running my fingers through the hanks and thinking what I could do with it. I'm still a relatively new knitter so I'm stuck thinking about sweaters, scarves, and hats. I can't leave my local shop without buying either needles, yarn, or the latest toy. It doesn't help that she carries a huge assortment of fancy and unusual buttons. I've stopped going with my neighbor, she can't understand how I can get lost in such a small place.
Go to Top of Page

merren
New Pal

Canada
12 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2002 :  5:33:38 PM  Show Profile Send merren a Private Message
Hi All
I am from Canada and there is a store in Ancaster Ontario that almost defies description.It is in an old stone house and is filled from room to room ,floor to ceiling with wonderful fibers,books and accessories.The yarn is presented in such a manner that it begs to touched held and fondled lovingly.The smells and sites of this store are enough to tempt anyone.You could spend hours(I have ) just dreaming and planning.Every book is another key to a new experience and every hank of yarn is calling out to be made into another treasure.It is called The Needle Emporium if anyone is in the area and I believe they have an e mail addy and advertize in different magazines.
Merren

merren
Go to Top of Page

Juanita in NZ
Warming Up

New Zealand
59 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2002 :  8:22:45 PM  Show Profile Send Juanita in NZ a Private Message
Just reading about all these knitting shop 'experiences' makes me want to feast my eyes (and nose) on beautiful balls of wool! There are very few wool shops where I live, even fewer that are really inspirational. I think knitting isn't that popular because it isn't very cold here in the winter.
Whenever I think of wool shops and getting lost in the whole woolly experience, I always think of a little shop I came across years and years ago (in the UK) that was all 'olde worlde' on the outside, but inside, the balls of wool stood out like jewels because all the shelves, storage cubbyholes etc. were painted black. It was like being in Aladdin's cave. It was so cold and bleak outside I could quite happily have shifted in all my personal belongings and stayed forever.

Go to Top of Page

brickenbach@woh.rr.com
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2002 :  12:41:10 PM  Show Profile Send brickenbach@woh.rr.com a Private Message
I visited GotYarn in Richmond, VA.

Where is GotYarn? I, unfortunately, do not live close to a good yarn store, and so I frequent stores when I travel. I have visited Garden of Yarn on Libby Avenue, but would like to try a new yarn store over Thanksgiving weekend.

Fran

PS... because I get into a yarn store so infrequently, it is HOURS before I emerge!
Go to Top of Page

Luvtoknit
New Pal

23 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2002 :  10:17:29 AM  Show Profile Send Luvtoknit a Private Message
As far as needing cold winters to sustain a yarn shop, Palm Springs has 2 wonderful yarn shops that I visit quite frequently.

I loose all track of time when I go into an awesome yarn shop.

My best friend and I dream of the day we can open our own shop,
with knitting and quilting supplies. Along with a coffee bar and lots of comfy chairs for people to hang out and knit and chat and bond.
What fun!!!
Go to Top of Page

knitsalot
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2002 :  06:39:13 AM  Show Profile Send knitsalot a Private Message
i love the smell of wool also. as one friend put it, i never met a skein of yarn i didn't like! one habit that i just hate to see, however, is when knitters rub a skein of yarn against their face. yuck. i wouldn't want to knit with a skein that has someone's moisturizer and blusher all over it!
Go to Top of Page

grandma
New Pal

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2002 :  10:52:54 PM  Show Profile Send grandma a Private Message
I am green with envy reading about all the wool shops you can still visit when so many have closed here in the UK. I miss them as I do love to handle the wool I buy before buying. My reason seems to be different form most of you, but I am a fairly quick knitter and wrap the wool round my finger as I knit. So I have to be sure the yarn is a smooth runing one or it will 'burn' my fingers.
I am also facinated when I read about friends in the USA buying skeins of wool, it must be 30 years since I even saw wool in a skein as here it is all in balls. I well remember having to wind wool into balls from skeins and became very adept at doing this.

Go to Top of Page

kittyntaz
New Pal

21 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2002 :  09:00:39 AM  Show Profile Send kittyntaz a Private Message
I've noticed when I go to the store with my mom i like to go to the craft section and just admire the yarn and needles and think how nice it would be to have money! but my mom can be done and waiting on me till i finally get done. hehe i'm going to the store with her today, but I can go admire yarn i have craft items to buy:-( such torture, so much agony. I like to listen to some christian music while knitting.

Jessi
Go to Top of Page

Capucine45
Warming Up

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2002 :  3:24:43 PM  Show Profile Send Capucine45 a Private Message
How appropriate that this thread should have been at the top of the list tonight! I just got back from a shopping excursion where I spent over two hours in the (relatively small) haberdashery section of our John Lewis looking at yarns. I'm incapable of making decisions at the best of times, but give me a selection of yummy yarns and I'm hopeless. There are so many on my list . . . I especially want to try Debbie Bliss' Cashmerino Baby, but today I succombed to the pull of Rowan Kid Classic. That decision took at least an hour, since I had to take into account which pattern I wanted to make AND which yarn. And choosing a colour - oh - it was painful. But I ended up with a lovely medium purple which I am going to go cast on in two minutes. My friends all looked skeptically at me and then giggled, though, so I just had to share with people who would be sympathetic

Cheers and happy knitting,
Heather

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.77 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.